Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria (14554 Views)

NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? / See what can happen during NYSC one year service (A disguised blessing)!photos / Serving Nigeria With Mask! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 08, 2013
If you served before 2012, Abeg no talk because NYSC is not what it used to be. I was posted to an horrible state where you can't get a decent house with good toilets. I was forced to teach kids who don't care about school, and no matter how you try to explain they still don't get it. To make matters worse, I was compensated with chicken change that wasn't enough to cover my expenses. There was so many things I would have done for that one year, if I didn't go for service.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 08, 2013
A-ZeD:
Nysc is a waste of time and resources. The program should be scrapped.
Thank you jare. Are you done with your program now?
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Revolva(m): 3:43pm On Mar 08, 2013
delors: NYSC is a sheer waste of time...big time! I experienced it! I risked my life (as others too)! I dont even make reference to the jobs I did at NYSC on my resume! Its just a waste of time, talents and life! After spending (4 + X) years at school, sit at home for about 6-10months before call up comes and then another one full year of underemployment, insecurity and unproductivity (in the name of NYSC), what happens next? You are left to either swim or sink in the messed up labour market! Na wah o
I barely escaped with my life after serving one year in Maiduguri when Boko haram started years back...I just dont know if these govt guys are measuring if this program still adds value to the economy! Such a waste of everything! We spend almost 10 years after secondary school on education...when we aint planning on becoming professors! In North America, 22-24 year olds are Masters students but for my country, na 40years dey do masters after wasting years for nothing!
Amen - you said it all..
While these students are doing their suffering continues duty..I will use that one year find money and start a small biz and make better money hussling..NYSC is just a waste of ideas and it has noting to add to the value of the economy
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2013
honey86:
Thank you jare. Are you done with your program now?
Yes i am. When you talk about people who gained from service, i did because i served in Lagos and worked in a place that was inline in my chosen career.
I have every reason to say NYSC was great but that would be selfish of me because for every one person that serves in Lagos, there are 15 other people who are in places where they are completely wasting their time.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by bright87: 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2013
Yomieluv: It wasnt not a wasted year for me
Graduate "It wasnt not" better correct yourself please.

Thanks
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by masterpiece123: 4:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
I dissagree with you, i served in a rural area, in oyo state where i was posted to secondary school and i was able to impact educational knowledge that i have to the student, they really appreciate me in that school when im leaving.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by farem: 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2013
If they meant it, let them go back to their states of serving and return ALL the allowances paid to them by the FG. They are only allowed to retain transport allowance.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Bingeljr(m): 4:46pm On Mar 08, 2013
I don't knw about u but 4 me my one yr service is nt a waste
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 4:59pm On Mar 08, 2013
folahann:
if dem do passing-out parade, e mean say they pass out to that.

On a more serious note, I think FG should just scrap NYSC.

[size=28pt]They will not scrap what the NYSC contractors are making billions of naira from.
That is why they will rather die than scrap it.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by BrutusOj(m): 5:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
Idi Amin: Why didnt they reject their alawe. Mek i hear word jare
Bros help me tell dm oo..alawi is almost dsame tin wit what a lot of experienced graduates collect as salary in most secondary schools in Nigeria..
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by JMystique(m): 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
They forced me into a God forsaken villa
ge,no light,no water,no network...the worst year of my life.I lost d best gf I had cos I cdnt keep in touch,mosquito and one other yeye insect dt attacked only the legs devoured me day n night.#sighs#Apart frm wazobializing my sex life,no benefit whatever

2 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Genezer: 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
HONESTLY, NYSC IS NOTHING BUT A HELL WASTE OF TIME. Y BE SAY NA ONLY 9JA THINGS DEY WORST? NO OTHER COUNTRY DOES THIS NONSENSE>>> KILODE?
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by avalontony(m): 7:19pm On Mar 08, 2013
my service year was never a waste, i learnt a lot during my service year.... even the lives i touched via rural rugged evangelism and my students i gave reasons and hope to study. i can never say...i wasted a year serving...becose i did not serve nigeria alone, i served humanity and God.

2 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47pm On Mar 08, 2013
NYSC was not a waste of time, but i bet it was for those who thought it was going to be a walk in the park.
Granted, it has its challenges, and a lot needs to be done to improve the scheme, but be rest assured that NYSC isn't the cause of our unemployment situation.

It's called service to your father land, if you understand it from that perspective, you would have gained something from it.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself, not because i served at a fantastic firm, which i didn't, but because it was a time i rediscovered myself, a time where i found faith beyond measures in my ability, and a time where i cared for other people other than myself.

The Peer educator program totally helped develop my team building skills, being a part of my CDS, enhanced my leadership abilities,
what more can i say, if you want to grade NYSC in terms of material achievement, then it would be a waste, but if you look at the true purpose
you would realise that you have learnt a lot, so for me, the experience was totally worth it.

Regards
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by AdeojoFoluke(f): 7:50pm On Mar 08, 2013
abeg me wan serve o. By God grace na October.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by tonididdy(m): 8:22pm On Mar 08, 2013
delors: NYSC is a sheer waste of time...big time! I experienced it! I risked my life (as others too)! I dont even make reference to the jobs I did at NYSC on my resume! Its just a waste of time, talents and life! After spending (4 + X) years at school, sit at home for about 6-10months before call up comes and then another one full year of underemployment, insecurity and unproductivity (in the name of NYSC), what happens next? You are left to either swim or sink in the messed up labour market! Na wah o
I barely escaped with my life after serving one year in Maiduguri when Boko haram started years back...I just dont know if these govt guys are measuring if this program still adds value to the economy! Such a waste of everything! We spend almost 10 years after secondary school on education...when we aint planning on becoming professors! In North America, 22-24 year olds are Masters students but for my country, na 40years dey do masters after wasting years for nothing!
brother the other day i was watching a tv programme *dragons den* and the presenter introduces this guy and said he was 26 and a phd holder.my heart sank

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by coputa(m): 8:30pm On Mar 08, 2013
What regret,these graduates that are not productive,that were paid while galivanting around their place of primary assignment..after passing out they will start looking for non exitent jobs,fustrated and penniless for God knws how.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by njokujeoffrey(m): 8:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
This govt are not ready to listen to all dis......its high time we took d bull by d horn by protestin for wat belongs to us...4 Gods sake dem wan turn us to slaves...
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by chiyex(m): 8:47pm On Mar 08, 2013
kofoshi: Passed out?

Did they collapse?

Hope they have been resuscitated o.

i wonder why people use that word incorrectly. it means fainting..na wa 4 naija.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by andyanders: 8:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
The aim of NYSC has been lost for some decades now. The virtues and the purpose has been defeated. You only go there to waste a year for nothing only to gain experience on prostitution,
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by free2ryhme: 9:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
what were they thinking when they rcvd their call up letter .. after spending the much glorified alawe they now come to the full reality of the situation, right? this is reality NYSC has ended face it .. God help us all
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by blackbeau1(f): 10:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
Well,in my own case,I can't say its a wasted year.I actually cherish the experience I'm getting
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by chessguru1(m): 10:41pm On Mar 08, 2013
Fredrick909: [size=21pt] i Doubt if i will ever do this NYSC after all am not gonna rely on D Govt for employment so am going nowhere [/size]
Hahaha hate 2 burst ya bubbles broda, ur gonna do it as long as u plan to work in nigeria.
Most major private companies ask for it now b4 employment
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Peterboy1(m): 10:50pm On Mar 08, 2013
dusty84: [color=#990000]the idea of national service is to expose us to other areas in the country as well as character building...even though i never got the national award that suposed to be given me and i served my country with heart and might...i stlll feel the experience made me a better person in terms of character.so i guess it was not a waste of time afterall.

100% correct
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by ibkgab001: 7:43am On Mar 09, 2013
Scrap wetin .... Where I dey chop little by little... Oh man don't try OoooOoooo
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by 2old4that(m): 8:07am On Mar 09, 2013
I finishd mine 2010/2011. I'd knew it was a waste of time long before I embark on it, base on d experiences of others I av seen. So I didn't really fancy anything about it. Even though I served in my choice location.

Often times they run out of activities in d camp in three good weeks.

It should b SCRAP.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by linusbnn(m): 8:07am On Mar 09, 2013
solomon111: Smh.
Most people just want what the country will do for them,and we wonder why progress is slow.

Just shut ur mouth dere,wat do u mean by dat??ok after doing it for ur country,does dis ur country recognizes ur inputs and efforts??after service,go home and pray..
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 09, 2013
Hmm, dat 40 years don reduce o! I enter one masters class for FUTA, bros, e b like say na 200 level students class I enter (no b behaviour I dey talk 4 here o)
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by temmytujay: 9:10am On Mar 09, 2013
2old4that: I finishd mine 2010/2011. I'd knew it was a waste of time long before I embark on it, base on d experiences of others I av seen. So I didn't really fancy anything about it. Even though I served in my choice location.

Often times they run out of activities in d camp in three good weeks.

It should b SCRAP.

Well it was because u thought it was a waste of time that was why it came out that way for you and i am very sorry for you... i am still in service, i will be passing out by june but i have like 3 places begging me to work for them after NYSC i am even doing some drawings for one of them now that i go to him for money anytime i want and the guy is a big boy... so what are we saying... maybe u studied Igbo language in school..

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by tessyade: 9:15am On Mar 09, 2013
Whether NYSC is a waste of time or not depends on what you used your time for while serving. Apart from the federal and state allowee, i made a lot of money teaching the illiterate villagers during my service year. Looking back at the experience of my service year, i wish i can serve again.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by chukkynwob(m): 9:23am On Mar 09, 2013
dusty84: [color=#990000]the idea of national service is to expose us to other areas in the country as well as character building...even though i never got the national award that suposed to be given me and i served my country with heart and might...i stlll feel the experience made me a better person in terms of character.so i guess it was not a waste of time afterall.

Let Nysc be voluntary and let's see how many youths love Nigeria, rubbish. Senator pikin dey go village go serve?
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by softandmoist(f): 12:08pm On Mar 09, 2013
When you come here to say NYSC is a waste of time, I'd like to ask the following questions.

1. Will applying for jobs immediately after graduation guarantee automatic employment?
2. If the scheme is scrapped, won't the rate of unemployment increase, seeing as a lot of parastatals are directly or indirectly linked to the scheme?
3. Is Nigeria the only country where people graduate and do not have jobs? Do you not read about other countries too, and their rates of unemployment? If this is the worst country to live in, Cameroun and Benin and Niger are better then. Hit the freeway!
4. What skills do you have that you want to be employed for? a whole load of graduates today have nothing to add to the society, nothing at all. If the government creates an automobile manufacturing plant today, how many engineering graduates can work there without hitches? All of them asking for a criminal database, how many of you have an idea of forensics except what you read/hear? Since your universities will still churn out half baked graduates, the government would have to ship in expatriates. How relevant is your course of study? Even those who read Transport Management will come out and cry "unemployment".
5. How many people have 'made it' by getting a job? Do you not see needs around you? Has it occurred to you that you could start to meet these needs, and demand for your services will grow, and your profits too?
6. If you think patriotism is tiring, after graduation, don't bother to get mobilized. SERVING NIGERIA ISN'T BY FORCE.

I'm surprised at the outburst of these people. When other countries have youths who are forward thinking, some here are just bleating "scrap it, scrap it", Scrap what? Some don't even have Matric Number not to talk of a certificate of attendance, but they just join the crowd for nothing.

In civilized worlds, a scheme like NYSC would undergo reforms. For example, youths won't be posted outside their geopolitical zones, and the duration could be reduced to like 6 months.

Nigeria's unemployment problems needs more than the scrapping of the NYSC scheme.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwara Batch B Pcms Lets Meet Here ....... / Ebonyi To Pay Corpers N10,000 Allowances From September 2018 / NYSC Members To Get N100million Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.