Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? (938 Views)

What Life Lesson Has NYSC One Year Compulsory Service Taught You? / Nysc One Stop Shop / Nysc One Year Urgent Vacancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by NGTechBlog(m): 7:47pm On Aug 08, 2015
I dreaded going to serve while I was still a student. The thoughts alone were killing. I had heard a whole lot of sad stories especially how graduated were rendered 'useless' for a whole year.

This changed however, when a senior friend shared with me how he maximised the year of inactivity to plan the next phases of his life. Nobody talks about that, so I never even considered that option. Thank God, I learned of his NYSC perspective before I went to serve. I was able to make sense of that one year, although my place of primary assignment didn't give me room to be redundant. But it was still eventful and I achieved much.

So if it's going to be a year of waste or a very significant one, it's really up to you... mostly.

There are a couple of things you could achieve in that one year aside registering for the regular professional bodies that come to camp, meeting new friends from different parts and so on. The key is to plan ahead.

If you are just going or already serving, how are you planing or using your one year of free government allowance?

I could share some ideas with you, if you are interested. Don't let this one year slip by just like that.
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by spill(m): 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2015
share the ideas here. let all benefit
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by NGTechBlog(m): 11:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
spill:
share the ideas here. let all benefit

Thought of that but I don't think anyone is interested in epistles especially when you'll have to pick out what will be useful for you from what won't be.

I think a better approach is for people to talk about there specific situations and we can all share our thoughts and opinions.
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by Maxcollins042(m): 10:17am On Aug 09, 2015
The compulsory NYSC programme can be benefitial to some and can be the reverse to others. NYSC programme can be benefitial if;
1. You harldy/don't travel: There are some undergraduates that haven't left the borders of their home ever since they were born,NYSC programme tends to serve as a platform for such people to leave the terrain of their environment and explore the world,trust me it's an experience that's worth having.
2. You are not financially engaged: If you are not engaged in any worksmanship or doing anything that is facilitating influx of cash for you,enrolling for the NYSC programme won't be a bad development for you unlike those that are already engaged with one organization,company etc.
3. Self Discovery: This can serve as an avenue to discover your potentials if you haven't discovered yours. Discover and maximise your potentials.
Well, as an adage puts it; "One man's food can be another man's poison".

1 Like

Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by Me2You225(f): 9:36am On Aug 10, 2015
true
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by Ademat7(m): 7:20am On Aug 11, 2015
NGTechBlog:

Thought of that but I don't think anyone is interested in epistles especially when you'll have to pick out what will be useful for you from what won't be.

I think a better approach is for people to talk about there specific situations and we can all share our thoughts and opinions.
if you share it people will respond with their challenge and you will pick it up from there
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by butanep(m): 8:36am On Aug 11, 2015
NGTechBlog:
I dreaded going to serve while I was still a student. The thoughts alone were killing. I had heard a whole lot of sad stories especially how graduated were rendered 'useless' for a whole year.

This changed however, when a senior friend shared with me how he maximised the year of inactivity to plan the next phases of his life. Nobody talks about that, so I never even considered that option. Thank God, I learned of his NYSC perspective before I went to serve. I was able to make sense of that one year, although my place of primary assignment didn't give me room to be redundant. But it was still eventful and I achieved much.

So if it's going to be a year of waste or a very significant one, it's really up to you... mostly.

There are a couple of things you could achieve in that one year aside registering for the regular professional bodies that come to camp, meeting new friends from different parts and so on. The key is to plan ahead.

If you are just going or already serving, how are you planing or using your one year of free government allowance?

I could share some ideas with you, if you are interested. Don't let this one year slip by just like that.
what do you mean by free government allowance?

Please the money is not free, we are working for it.
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by alex81(m): 8:01am On Aug 12, 2015
NGTechBlog:

keep ur ideas den.
Re: NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? by NGTechBlog(m): 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2015
butanep:
what do you mean by free government allowance?

Please the money is not free, we are working for it.

That's one angle to look at it from. Saying you worked for it is absolutely right.

But I'm coming from the angle of those who work for just a few hours per week. A friend of mine was working for just 120 mins per week as a teacher. Meaning that during holidays, he was free all through the week. Yet, he was being paid federal and state allowance.

(1) (Reply)

... / Nysc Bye-laws On Discipline / Why Are Copers Still In Their Ppa When There Is Lockdown Going Down ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.