Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria (14557 Views)

NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? / See what can happen during NYSC one year service (A disguised blessing)!photos / Serving Nigeria With Mask! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by softandmoist(f): 12:14pm On Mar 09, 2013
tonididdy: brother the other day i was watching a tv programme *dragons den* and the presenter introduces this guy and said he was 26 and a phd holder.my heart sank

your heart will sink. why will it not sink? For chrissakes, did both of you plan your life together? what nonsense is making your heart sink? if that's what you wanted (to have a Phd at 26) why didn't you work towards achieving it? why come here to tell us about sinking dreams and piping hearts? abeg shift joor. emi o ti e like ki eyan ma wo ago alago sise. undecided
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by neey1051(m): 12:54pm On Mar 09, 2013
Phonon: Story of my life.They are moaning like they are the only ones who served in rural areas.I have many friends who served in rural areas and later got jobs in big corporations or went to the US/UK to pursue graduate studies.Not to come across as being condescending,I think many of these people complaining are those who graduated with bad grades/are too old to apply for Graduate Trainee jobs/have no prior job experience/possess no practical skills to start a business and they don't know what to do with their lives.Just saying...
have u served before
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by neey1051(m): 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2013
BrutusOj: Bros help me tell dm oo..alawi is almost dsame tin wit what a lot of experienced graduates collect as salary in most secondary schools in Nigeria..
and dem tell u say na secondary school dem plan to work when they graduate for uni...
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by FindOut(m): 2:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
When you think of it as a waste, then it indeed becomes a waste. When you reflect on those 11 months deeply, no doubt you'll pick up one or two things that would have added some positives to your life. you may not realise it now, but years later, you just might have cause to be thankful to God for going through the NYSC year at the place and time you did it.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Revolva(m): 5:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
tonididdy: brother the other day i was watching a tv programme *dragons den* and the presenter introduces this guy and said he was 26 and a phd holder.my heart sank
He get phd wetin he dey find for dragon den..he no no say na Big wahala he don put him self..26 for phd...I pity am...cos nigeria don't appreciate such records..even wit his phd people no go send am
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by LausDeo(m): 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
My one year wasn't a waste...I wouldn't give it up 4 anytin
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by UnimkeAk(m): 6:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
delors: NYSC is a sheer waste of time...big time! I experienced it! I risked my life (as others too)! I dont even make reference to the jobs I did at NYSC on my resume! Its just a waste of time, talents and life! After spending (4 + X) years at school, sit at home for about 6-10months before call up comes and then another one full year of underemployment, insecurity and unproductivity (in the name of NYSC), what happens next? You are left to either swim or sink in the messed up labour market! Na wah o
I barely escaped with my life after serving one year in Maiduguri when Boko haram started years back...I just dont know if these govt guys are measuring if this program still adds value to the economy! Such a waste of everything! We spend almost 10 years after secondary school on education...when we aint planning on becoming professors! In North America, 22-24 year olds are Masters students but for my country, na 40years dey do masters after wasting years for nothing!

I don't agree wif yu on that.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by 2old4that(m): 1:20am On Mar 10, 2013
temmytujay:

Well it was because u thought it was a waste of time that was why it came out that way for you and i am very sorry for you... i am still in service, i will be passing out by june but i have like 3 places begging me to work for them after NYSC i am even doing some drawings for one of them now that i go to him for money anytime i want and the guy is a big boy... so what are we saying... maybe u studied Igbo language in school..

And wats wrong with studying Igbo lang?

Just becos u are having juicy service period doesn't mean majority of others are having it the same way.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by temmytujay: 12:32am On Mar 11, 2013
2old4that:

And wats wrong with studying Igbo lang?

Just becos u are having juicy service period doesn't mean majority of others are having it the same way.

Brova.. i am not having juicy one..... but i want to let you know that we should have the spirit like real african, the only thing that make me sober or affect me in a negative way is death, i mean people laying down their lives all in the name of service... assuming you talked about death earlier i should have supported you... but if you are talking about not making money while serving... as someone that scaled thru in school for 4, 5 or 6 yrs i think 1 yr should not b a problem brova...u gt ma point?
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 11, 2013
chess guru:
Hahaha hate 2 burst ya bubbles broda, ur gonna do it as long as u plan to work in nigeria.
Most major private companies ask for it now b4 employment
have no plans of working for anybody ,, i work for myself alone.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by EmmyDe25(m): 7:24am On May 19, 2013
Eneze1: though I complained about it before but serving was one of the best experience of my life, I gained a lot more than my expectation and I was retained at my workplace so to me its not a waste of time
Wat will u say? Had it been u were taken to a desolated village where u have no light, network, where u dont understand d pple's language and the pple dnt understand yours either, and probably d water you drink is the one d village people bathe with. U'll knw dt Nysc is a complete waste of time; as u wl be redundant, infact blip drastically in whatsoever u find really easy doin b4. Na God go punish Bolaji Abdullahi for comin up wt ds lame idea! Dat was how he introduced some stupid reforms durin hs days as d commissioner for education in kwara state.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 19, 2013
NYSC is a waste of time for doctors.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 11:52pm On May 19, 2013
sarajevo: NYSC is a waste of time for doctors.
And engineers and other professionals sef except those that studied education and would like to become teachers. Nysc is a way for the govt to deceive youths that they are impacting their country. After the nysc what next? Thank God I got a job shortly after but I have many bright friends still not employed. What is the point in working in a position in area that is not related to ur field for one year while getting stipends just enuff to keep u alive? And I will like to quote SEUN when he said "there's nothing you claim you gained during NYSC that you couldn't have gained with Nysc. Is it exposure, travelling, meeting friends, you can do all these without nysc"
And yes people have Phd at 26 in the U.S while we waste time in Nigeria serving. In reality how many people really serve? Are corp members of nowadays even appreciated?
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by EmmyDe25(m): 5:00am On May 20, 2013
masterpiece123: I dissagree with you, i served in a rural area, in oyo state where i was posted to secondary school and i was able to impact educational knowledge that i have to the student, they really appreciate me in that school when im leaving.
Oooh... Your still serving?? U impacted a whole lot of educational knowledge for real.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 9:03am On May 24, 2013
But the guys got the opportunity to sample many girls from other states in one year.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Petergudluck(m): 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2014
Anyway I'm still serving 2014B, posted in a semi urban Ibadan area. I think regreting NYSC could be attributed to high expected demand from Govt which will never be a reality, also failure to think ahead of post service years, otherwise learn how to never regret in life even if it calls for rgret because it beclouds creativity

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Register Your NYSC B16 Online Registration At Shop 14 Bakassi Hall, Yabatech. / Kwara Batch B Pcms Lets Meet Here ....... / NYSC Members To Get N100million Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.