Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja (18297 Views)

Auto Or Manual Car As Taxi? / See How This Abuja Taxi Driver Packaged Himself / What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by otokx(m): 12:28pm On Feb 17, 2013
bethnals:

she is single o Make your move cool

she is married with 2 kids only the husband is still in Algeria.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by mtchewww(m): 12:29pm On Feb 17, 2013
She once picked me from Maitama to Wuse and we had a "quickie" under that fly-over near Unity Bank.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by Moyola(f): 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dat ain neu! undecided
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by fairygeh(f): 12:32pm On Feb 17, 2013
Interesting
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by bethnals: 12:37pm On Feb 17, 2013
otokx:

she is married with 2 kids only the husband is still in Algeria.

hmmm article says they parted...
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by Kzinne: 12:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
Other countries are talking about the first female astronaut- u're all here blabbing
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by damola311: 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2013
Oh boy!.........Ÿ̲Ơ̴̴̴̴͡uя english Ŋǎ die......yọ̥
ũ wan kill person ni....*faint
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by Aksally(m): 1:21pm On Feb 17, 2013
I don enter her vehicle once, Wuse market to Amigo. Very business like. Then I told myself I don't have any excuse.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
Kzinne: Other countries are talking about the first female astronaut- u're all here blabbing
One step at a time.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by andyanders: 1:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
val_dubem: I once entered her taxi (drop) and she over-charged me

If she over-charged you, that is better and a good business. Next time try enter and she will equally pay more.Are you not happy seeing her do that and even dash her money?
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by JENMAUCY(f): 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
alpha conde: Most women will say what a man can do a woman can do. Some don't even know the inspiration in that. Anyway am still searching for female barbers and electricians and bricklayers
come abakaliki you will see female bricklayers.... Any woman can do what that lady did,be it east,west ,south or north. So,for dose of you sayin she did it because she' 4rm north go 2 other places n see 4 yourselves,she's publicize because is @ FCT....
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by dnative(m): 1:48pm On Feb 17, 2013
God bless her hustle!
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by specialguest(f): 1:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
I salute her courage because its not eazy for a woman to drive in Nigeria. Most times when a lady is behind the wheels people honk at you as if to say you are crawling and when they eventually overtake you,they make irritating faces at you and the rude ones even go ahead to scream "na woman jor"!.
Though the money seems good enough for her but I can only imagine the dangers associated with picking up total strangers and dropping them off at unknown locations. For a woman, I must say its really risky!
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by dasparrow: 1:56pm On Feb 17, 2013
pekelepekele: Most ladies always prefer selling their kitties than working . Learn body bleachers

And who turned your ladies into kitty selling whores? Isn't it you the Nigerian men who patronize them and buy them all sorts of expensive gifts in exchange for their pussies? Maybe when you the male whores stop buying expensive gifts for your women for a round of .se/x, then maybe, more of your women will be inspired to be like Aisha Umar.

@Post

Well done Aisha. May Allah continue to bless your hustle.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by Tyche(m): 1:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
dnative: God bless her hustle!
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by tellwsdom: 2:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
she must first give me yansh before I enter her car undecided angry
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by fatimah24: 3:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
Eazee-e:

i tink u deserve an award 4 quoting d whole story only 2 write OK. I truely dont understand wat Kindergertens are doing on dis site. May God b her strenght jare. But i bet dis same woman canot try dis in 1 of dos countries wia d RELIGION OF PEES is d same as d constitution. Dat is wat freedom can giv u, not bondage by dat religion. God knows her head wud hav been rolling by now. Woman Spread d gospel of freedom 2 ur peeps up dia in Northern Nigeria, Mali,Pakistan,Iran,Afganistan,Saudi Arabia e.t.c Tel dem its only Christianity dat can grant such liberty.
shut ur stupid mouth u damn fool. Nd who told u Islam doesn't grant women freedom. Wen u don't knw anythin den keep ur mouth shut. Nobody mentioned religion here only u. Anofia.

2 Likes

Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by ThatNaijaGirl(f): 3:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
This is good for her! She takes care of her family idependently! cheesy
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by HezronLorraine(m): 3:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
Brand_new: Wow! She's even attractive. Women are really pushing the boundries especially muslim women.
Btw she should be charging double.
she has done greatly by overlooking her beauty,d chauvinistic male business of driving.she wasn't deterred and am impressed.hope many other ladies can use ds and apply her faith to whatever they can do to make a living.btw,did i hear u say muslim women.please take a sit.u muslim religious fanatic.mtcheeew.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by joyblinks(f): 4:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
this isnt news jaire.

come to port harcourt, u will find younger and older women driving taxi's and buses... not new to me.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by timbros(m): 4:34pm On Feb 17, 2013
joyblinks: this isnt news jaire.

come to port harcourt, u will find younger and older women driving taxi's and buses... not new to me.

You just spoke my mind!

Here in PH, women taxi drivers are everywhere. They even have their own taxi colour... Its nothing new. Unless ofcourse because Aisha is a muslem, thats the new thing I see there.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by bakila: 4:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
val_dubem: I once entered her taxi (drop) and she over-charged me
U sure its taxi u took or u were trying something else.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by bankyblue(m): 5:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
bethnals:

she is single o Make your move cool
Lol.....she has two kids already. I can deal with that.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by jidewin(m): 5:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
rodeo0070: Curiosity. That was the main reason for choosing to ride in Ms. Aisha Umar’s taxi in the Federal Capital Territory on Friday. RASHEED BISIRIYU reports his encounter with the first female taxi driver in Abuja

Ms Aisha Umar has been a taxi driver in Abuja for over five years. Her handling of the vehicle is professional. She calls out for passengers and attends to matters relating to her job cheerfully and promptly too. She is never shy; and almost every day, she has had to answer questions, especially from many inquisitive male passengers. That, she does, courteously.

According to her, taxi business was the last thing on her mind when she dropped out of the university over 10 years ago.

She was in her second year studying Public Administration at the University of Abuja when she became pregnant.

Her initial plan was to take a break for one year to have her baby and then return to the school to complete her studies.

But the plan failed and that changed her course.

Today, Aisha, a 33 year old single parent, is a taxi driver in the FCT. She is the first lady taxi driver in the nation’s capital.

She was the only woman in the business for over five years until about six months ago when another lady took up the job at the FCT, apparently impressed by Aisha’s success.

And business has been good, she admits.

According to her, she pays her rents and takes care of the family with what she makes from the taxi.

Five years is a lot of time to perfect the commercial driving act and most people are not surprised that the lady handles the steering, driving around the city, picking and dropping passengers with a high level of dexterity.

Aisha, a mother of two, told our correspondent why she had to abandon her trading business and went into taxi business. She said it started by accident.

She had returned from Algeria, leaving her husband behind when it was obvious that the marriage would not work. She came back to Abuja with two kids, a boy and a girl.

She immediately went into trading and was dealing in clothing materials.

As a lively woman, many liked to patronise her.

She bought a car, a Nissan Sunny. It helped her to move the wares around, supply interested friends while she collected money later.

Only few paid for the materials on delivery; many bought on credit. The debt kept mounting and it was beginning to affect the business. She was fed up but she could not call it quits because there was no other means of survival.

One Saturday, she set out to meet some of her debtors. It was all stories, Aisha said. She became dejected. The fuel in her car was running low and she needed to top it up but there was no money.

As she was driving back home, dejectedly, a middle-aged man who appeared stranded, having waited for a cab for about an hour, flagged her down. Aisha stopped, almost absent-mindedly.

The guy asked if she could take him to Asokoro. She agreed and got N350 for the effort. And as soon as the man alighted from the car, another man entered and paid N400 for a journey of about the same distance. That was how it started.

She said, “At Wuse, a man stopped me and asked if he could help get more passangers into the car at N50 each and I accepted. And I got N250 on the short trip.

“That first day, I went home with N1,700, that was after I had filled my tank with N2,300 worth of fuel.”

The next day, she hit the road very early. And since then, she has not looked back.

Aisha has changed her car. It was in 2008, a year after she started the taxi business. She bought another Nissan Sunny for N650,000. It was an imported used car, but a newer model.

She has not set eyes on her estranged husband since they parted many years ago. But she is not bothered about that. As long as her taxi business is not hampered in any way that will affect the upkeep of her children, she is happy.
SOURCE: www.punchng.com/business/transport/why-i-operate-a-taxi-abuja-female-driver/
This is the kinda inspirational stories i love to read to inspire me on daily basis.Imagine a lady from the north as energetic and enterprising as this.WHO TALK SAY YOU NO GO MAKE AM IN LIFE? NA LIE.I GO MAKE am devil like it or not.Thank you Punch and Nairaland.
Re: Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja by hushpapi(m): 5:27pm On Feb 17, 2013
She is intelligent,smart and determined to be something in life. She fell and stood up again. She can see a beautiful future ahead of her that's why she find it difficult to give up on the journey. If she can do this, so many women can do this. She respect herself and didn't think of doing something she will regret tomorrow. God Bless you,ur family and your hustle. I so much respect that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ford Self-driving Cars Are Now Delivering Domino Pizzas Across Miami / Safest Cars On Nigerian Roads 2018 Based On IIHS Crash Test Ratings. / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.