Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,792 members, 7,810,061 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

WHen Bulk SMS Strategy Goes Wrong. Case In Point: Above and Beyond - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / WHen Bulk SMS Strategy Goes Wrong. Case In Point: Above and Beyond (614 Views)

"Sachet Pure Water" Now 10 Naira: Is It The Case In Your Area? / The Customer Is Right, No Rights And Not Treated Right: A Case In Nigeria / Abramovich Wins Biggest Private Court Case In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

WHen Bulk SMS Strategy Goes Wrong. Case In Point: Above and Beyond by Mbechun007: 12:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
I used to be someone who shops at Above and Beyond outlet in Opebi and must have been a pretty loyal customer, 'cos I ended up with a VIP discount card. I made the fatal error of giving them both my numbers at different times 'cos I was told thats the only way they could generate a receipt.

I have called a particular number that comes with their text messages incessantly, to complain about the unbelievable number of text messages I get from them 24/7. Insensitive text messages that come at unholy hours. I have received text messages from them by 12am, 2am sometimes and I still cannot wrap my head around it. What am I supposed to do with a text message informing me of a crazy sale at 2am in the morning?

When I called my request was simple: that they take my numbers off their database, I am not interested in text messages and know the way to their outlets. If I want to shop, I will shop and if I don't want to no amount of text messages will make me do it.

I was rudely told off by some guy who said 10 words for every one that came out of my mouth. He said I am not the only one complaining and there's nothing he can do until the 'campaign' is over and since the database was with a bulk sms company, there was little he could do.

Which infuriated me more: Who authorized them to share my details, given to them in confidence with a third party? What stops the third party from using the same info to send me countless other messages for their other clients, which incidentally, has been happening a lot lately? My parting message to the guy, was that if I receive any text message from above and beyond again, then whatever happens, at least they know I asked nicely first.

That was sometime in November/December. Obviously I was talking to a deaf person because in the last 6 weeks, I have received well over 30 text messages from Above and Beyond. Not wanting to stir up trouble without trying one more time, I drove all the way from my house to their outlet in Opebi and was directed to a lady called Titi. Who listened and with a smug smile told me the number cannot be taken off immediately and 'she will see what she can do'. It is after I spoke with her that I have gotten the most text messages.

I have tried everything I can nicely do to get them to remove me from their mailing list especially because I wasn't asked before I was added in the first place, but since it has proved abortive; whatever means is necessary, I will use. Those numbers are mine and I decide who I want to interact with at any given time.

This is a heads up to Above and Beyond. They have asked for trouble and unusually, I have decided to oblige them!

Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Is There Really A Repercussion For Ill Gotten Wealth? / How To Choose The Best Blog System For Your Business / Sanusi Bows Out From CBN Next Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.