Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? (11168 Views)

Caf Unveil 2014 World Cup Qualifying Format / What Was Your South Africa World Cup Best And Worst Moment / South Africa World Cup 2010 Officiating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by MEILYN(m): 11:08am On Feb 20, 2013
naija all d way
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by Nobody: 11:08am On Feb 20, 2013
Arsenal FC for life!!!!
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by Sumbarkaya(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2013
pendusky: am sure soon fifa will make last four standing teams in each contiment Nation cup to qualify for world cup... Wldnt that be nice?

No, it wont be nice.
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by DobleO7: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2013
I thought there was some kind of automatic qualification for the team that won the nation's prior to world cup?
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by tayoccu(m): 12:53pm On Feb 20, 2013
Andersonken: I thought carrying the nations cup automatically qualifies us to the world cup.
It doesn't, due to the fact that the AFCON takes place every 2 years, and the world cup every 4 years, it will simply be unfair to the teams that win after the world cup.
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by creativemusic: 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by Omero(m): 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
OP I dont think its fair enough 4 u 2 say d wrong team(countries) might end up qualifying 4 d world afta going thru all those stages as stated, 4 me who wil finally qualify deserve d kettle of fish, because futball and success equates preparation, determination, hardwork etc. Just like in 2006 dat Angola qualified ahead of naija, d truth is we dont deserve dat ticket, my opinion away.
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by tefund(m): 7:07pm On Feb 20, 2013
Mad Cow: ok

eagle will make it
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by osaska(m): 7:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
My super Eagles of now are capable of qualifying to the world cup...dem carry fire.
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by pak: 8:32am On Feb 21, 2013
The OP shadrach77 was right, I've had the same fears too.

And Manibud, you must be one intelligent fellow. That your post was so so on point Kudos !
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by dominique(f): 10:42am On Feb 21, 2013
*slighly offtopic
Its about bloody time fifa allocted more slots in the world cup to Africa. Five countries out of 32 where Europe alone has 16, that's just unfair. Btw is concacaff still using invitee teams for their tournament? If they still do, Africa may have a shot of having an extra country in the WC.

1 Like

Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by dominique(f): 10:49am On Feb 21, 2013
tayoccu:
It doesn't, due to the fact that the AFCON takes place every 2 years, and the world cup every 4 years, it will simply be unfair to the teams that win after the world cup.

Life is unfair, the country that wins in a non-Wc year will not play in the confederations cup (eg Zambia). Not fair but nothing we can do about it. Besides euro cup takes place every 4 years. Why are they also playing world cup qualifiers too?
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by infodollarman(m): 9:53am On Feb 22, 2013
shadrach77: i stumbled upon the African World cup qualifying format. Here is it below

2014 World Cup qualifying

Five African nations will qualfy for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
There will be three rounds of qualifying.
The first round sees 24 teams trying to make it into the second round of competition, where there will be ten groups of four teams.
In the third round, the ten group winners play off over two legs to determine who will travel to Brazil.
The first legs will be played between 11-15 October 2013, while the second and decisive legs will take place on 15-19 November 2013.

it doesn't sound right to me. The wrong teams might end up qualifying for the world cup. I think the first two to top the second round group should be grouped into five groups of four each and the winner of each group goes to the world cup. This i feel would be more intensive and would bring out the best team in the continent other than the play off thing.

What are your thoughts ?
i think this is fair. the teams involved will situp and there not be too much matches to play. this will reduce player burnout
Re: Africa World Cup Qualifying Format: Is It Right? by infodollarman(m): 9:53am On Feb 22, 2013
DobleO7: I thought there was some kind of automatic qualification for the team that won the nation's prior to world cup?
me too

(1) (2) (Reply)

France V Spain - FIFA WC Qualifier (0 - 1) On March 26th 2013 / 1xbet Blocked Me From Depositing Because Of My Winning Strategy / Didier Drogba Arrives In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.