Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,801 members, 7,827,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly (845 Views)

Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text / How Atheism Came To Be(a Reply And A Topic). / Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 6:46pm On Feb 20, 2013
A girl shares her experience on how atheism has helped her in a forum called "Why Won't God Heal Amputees?"

This is a great testimony of how her life has changed and how atheism has helped her accept the realities of life.

Read, Learn and Become an atheist, for this purpose we share our testimonies with you.

The Girl:
I know that I have not been posting on here as much as I did last year, so I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you on how becoming an atheist has truly had a positive impact on my life.

When I first came to this forum last summer, I was in crisis. Due to my deconversion, I found myself in the middle of a deep depression where I would drag myself through my day, and I had such a hard time getting much sleep. You guys were here for me. The members of my (former) megachurch had convinced me that life away from Christ was desolate, empty agony. I even believed at one point that I would rather die than give up God. However, upon conversing with some of you, I realized that it was possible to live a fulfilling life without any kind of god at the center of it.

Today, I am a much healthier person, physically and psychologically. I lost 10 lbs (yay!) because I was able to stop abusing my body from eating too much junk food (as a Christian I had thought that only the afterlife truly matters). I was able to deal with my depression and anxiety (runs in my family, and was triggered by childhood abuse that I suffered) without any medication anymore by taking control of my own life. No longer did I have to deal with the intense pressures and worries of trying to fit into the mold of "God's plan" or "God's will," so I was able to just be myself and figure out how to be comfortable in my own skin. I realized that although I love taking care of my husband and son at home, that I did not have to limit myself just because I am female, so I went back to school.

In retrospect, I realize how much Christianity truly hurt me throughout my childhood and early adulthood. It limits your potential to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially as a human being due to its prejudices and traditions. Atheism did not turn me into a devil-worshipping, baby-eating witch. Honestly, I have more mental clarity as an atheist than I ever did as a Christian.

I think the world would be a much more loving and fair place if there were less religion in it. Although I have reached a point where I am not angry at Christians or threatened by them unless they get in my face, I do think that, ironically, the words of Jesus actually apply to them: "they know not what they do." A Christian has to cherry-pick Bible verses and be (at least somewhat willfully) ignorant of ones that do not make sense in the real world. That being said, I do generally have compassion for them (unless they pick a fight or do something outrageous or unfair) because they are like fearful children clinging to their belief in Santa Claus. I do not say that in spite, because I feel a great sense of peace regarding my deconversion, and my bitterness toward Christians has faded. I will, however, express my disgust for that fictional character called "God," and anyone who does terrible things in his name.

Peace unto you.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0

Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
As for those christians who are confused and ready to leave.

Stop going to church, do not send any more donations and request your name be removed from the church contact list and e-bulletin.

Break ties with any clergy members who you aren't close to (ex: priest, bishop, minister, pope,pastors etc)

Store away anything you own that promotes Christianity (crucifixes, crosses, painting, the Bible.)

Tell all your immediate family that you have left the Christian Faith and there is nothing they can do to stop that.

Tell your friends and outer circle of family you have left the religion.

do not give in to the pleas of family members, the lectures of friends, even those door to door missionaries.

When invited by friends to certain ceremonies like first communion, evangelism or baptism, deeperlife retreats,politely say no to the invitation, and tell them you cannot come due to personal problems.

Warning ! : People may judge you when you leave, and family members may get mad, but follow your heart.

4 Likes

Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
Reserved!
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 7:14pm On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi: Reserved!

speechless will do
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 20, 2013
Lol, atheism's turning into a religion, one without a God, just like buddhism

2 Likes

Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 20, 2013
ooman:

speechless will do

On the road actually and it's clumpsy using my phone to respond in multiple threads. I will be back to update my comment.
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 7:37pm On Feb 20, 2013
musKeeto: Lol, atheism's a religion, one without a God, just like buddhism

[size=15pt]IGNORED[/size]
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by kufre2010: 7:54pm On Feb 20, 2013
Wel the truth is religion is a tool use by d smart to outwit d unsmart, imagine somebody telling u to donate ur money that u wil recieces double portion. ur donating d money he is happy feeding fat while ur waitng 4 d double portion that never come or maybe in their imaginary heaven. Some of these religious leaders has gone to the extend of getting power from native doctors, occultic organisatn or underwater power to perform miracles to hit it big financially. Imagine a male pastor who perm his her like a woman wil blow air and tens of people wil fall down and they call it deliverance, imagine a pastor who said It does not matter how u dress God sees ur heart and wil put hand on their head and they fall down, imagine a pastor whose member confess that he stole a company money to make donation to the church but did not odered that the money b remited back to d company. Imagine pastors paying people to sit on wheelchair on crusade, yet the so call christians are following them as people who lost their thinking faculty. Imagine repackage religious books that was turn up side down by the imperialist who gave it to them. The christian dat don't even care to do research on why d slave master wil force religion on them even at gun point but wil not give them technological breakthrough even if they cry out blood. Do they care to investigate why the main day of worshiping God was change from saturday to sunday d day of d roman sun god?
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by kufre2010: 8:32pm On Feb 20, 2013
Do they care to know why Jesus, sampson, moses, Abraham, Solomon, and all nazarate etc who were all black were change to white and give roman names? To prove my point it is an undisputed fact that a white man hair which resemble chicken feather can never locked( i.e dada or dreadlock like rastas) unless he use artificial cream but as a blackman if u keep ur hair without combing it and without cutting it, it wil lock naturall and turn dreadlock. Ok if this is correct then what race did God refer to when he instructed moses in number 6-5 that he should tell d children of Nazarite that they are of God so they should not allowed razor to come upon their hair and they shall b holy and let the locks of the hair of his head to grow. And solomon says in song of sol. 2-2 says for my head is filled with dew, and my locks with the drops of the night. And in verse 11 he says his locks are bushy and black as a raven. And sampson we all was with locks when he told delilah in judges 3-13 if thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web. Lamentation 3-7 talks about nazarites he says their visage(face) is blacker than coal. And in lamentation 4-10 when they were lamenting they says our skin was black like an oven.
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by kufre2010: 8:42pm On Feb 20, 2013
Remember Jesus was a Nazarite so Jesus was a black man with long locks and not a picture that was paint by a Roman painter that they presented to us.
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by kufre2010: 8:44pm On Feb 20, 2013
Manything in christianity 2day is filled with Roman pagan tradition of sun worshiping
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:55pm On Feb 20, 2013
everything in the world started Pagan and will end Pagan.
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 12:35am On Feb 21, 2013
kufre2010: Remember Jesus was a Nazarite so Jesus was a black man with long locks and not a picture that was paint by a Roman painter that they presented to us.

Next thing you will say is Jesus was a Nigerian, wake up from the dream, you worship a white God
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by poopli: 1:15pm On Feb 21, 2013
more people becoming atheists this days
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
ifeness: As for those christians who are confused and ready to leave.

Stop going to church, do not send any more donations and request your name be removed from the church contact list and e-bulletin.

Break ties with any clergy members who you aren't close to (ex: priest, bishop, minister, pope,pastors etc)

Store away anything you own that promotes Christianity (crucifixes, crosses, painting, the Bible.)

Tell all your immediate family that you have left the Christian Faith and there is nothing they can do to stop that.

Tell your friends and outer circle of family you have left the religion.

do not give in to the pleas of family members, the lectures of friends, even those door to door missionaries.

When invited by friends to certain ceremonies like first communion, evangelism or baptism, deeperlife retreats,politely say no to the invitation, and tell them you cannot come due to personal problems.

Warning ! : People may judge you when you leave, and family members may get mad, but follow your heart.

dis is satan himself decieving pple. God forbid!!
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 2:30pm On Feb 21, 2013
ekenedegreat: dis is satan himself decieving pple. God forbid!!

how do you know satan can type? i actually think you are the devil
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by JIL(m): 2:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
poopli: more people becoming atheists this days

Not the least surprised. The bible talked about this.

2 Timothy 3:
1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.
2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,
3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,
4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—
5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

2 Peter 3:
3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires.
4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly by ooman(m): 2:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
JIL:

Not the least surprised. The bible talked about this.

people used those verses some 1000 years ago, people will still use them some 1000 years to come, no difference

(1) (Reply)

TEN Things You Must Know About Pope FRANCIS / 20 Facts About Pope Francis / That's my King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.