Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,094 members, 7,953,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:28 PM

Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport (24037 Views)

Man Inserts Cocaine In Anus From Brazil, Arrested In Lagos Airport / Nigerian Man Who Returned From Brazil For Wedding Arrested With Cocaine In Lagos / NDLEA Intercepts Cocaine Concealed In Tins At Lagos Airport (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by draogtech: 4:25pm On Feb 21, 2013
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Muritala Muhammed Airport Command intercepted a Nigerian professor carrying $1 million on his way to Kenya, an official said on Wednesday.

The Customs Area Comptroller at the airport, Charles Edike, told newsmen in Lagos that the professor had been handed to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for further investigations.

He said that although the professor declared the money to customs officers at the airport, “the source of the money was not clear.

“He claimed to be the director of a company, A-Z Petroleum. He said he was carrying the money to Kenya to settle a dispute with a community over oil blocks.

“We were not comfortable with what he said, we have handed him over to the EFCC,” Mr. Edike said. He did not give the name of the professor.

He also said that the command intercepted $12 million from 14 persons in 2012, adding that “all the 14 persons have been handed to the EFCC for prosecution.”

Mr. Edike said the command generated N35 billion in 2012 as against N34 billion in 2011.

“Although we had more cargos in 2011, we generated more revenue in 2012,” he said. “This was based on our insistence that every waybill must be accounted for.”

(NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/121301-customs-arrests-professor-with-1mn-cash-at-lagos-airport.html

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
High time professors got well-paid grin

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by LasBonBoi: 11:31pm On Feb 21, 2013
..."director of a company, A-Z Petroleum. He said he was carrying the money to Kenya to settle a dispute with a community over oil blocks"...

A Prof can't even come up with a smart story. I tot Profs were the smartest! Falls hand

5 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
The source of funds is very clear: Sales of Hand out and 'sorting'.

8 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 21, 2013
Lmao..i can imagine the Prof. telling lies to cover his arse by speaking Queens English and blowing vocabs in a confident way grin grin

3 Likes

... and what has the topic got to do with a picture of some officers standing in front of a house that looks like the Frontier of Nigerian border to Cameroon.

17 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
991: ... and what has the topic got to do with a picture of some semi illiterate soldiers standing in front of a house that looks like the Frontier of Nigerian border to Cameroon.
You are fast to call them semi-illiterate soldiers, No sir, the thread actually called them Custom Officials, now who is semi-illiterate ?

25 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:34pm On Feb 21, 2013
HE IS LUCKY HE DID NOT GET SHOT AND KILLED AND THE MONEY SHARED. GOD MUST STILL BE ON HIS SIDE

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2013
Prof cought!!!!! Good job, but, when shaLl a governor be caught

7 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: The source of funds is very clear: Sales of Hand out and 'sorting'.
Nope! i don't think so. $1 million from sorting? Not plausible

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
Okay
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by TYdot862(m): 11:38pm On Feb 21, 2013
What is this country turning to. You can imagine an academician stealing such amounts of money.
Is this what is teaching his student in the class? God will help us in this country. He must be punished.
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2013
binger:
Nope! i don't think so. $1 million from sorting? Not plausible
Its possible. Sorting and Handouts generate more than that annually. In my days, a lecture was fired for receiving 40k per student to give them a C and 50k for a B, and that was like 10 yrs ago. Pass forward to 2013.
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by ajayi147(m): 11:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
All na story joor
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: Its possible. Sorting and Handouts generate more than that annually. In my days, a lecture was fired for receiving 40k per student to give them a C and 50k for a B, and that was like 10 yrs ago. Pass forward to 2013.
One million dollars sir! How many students are in the school?Not possible

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: You are fast to call them semi-illiterate soldiers, No sir, the thread actually called them Custom Officials, now who is semi-illiterate ?

whatever, but, seriously, wise one, does the background look like Muritala Mohammed Airport?? meanwhile, i have modified the post, so who is the illiterate now??

2 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by theripper3: 11:43pm On Feb 21, 2013
$1M no b beans o. Weda Prof no gree settle dem wela.
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by ajayi147(m): 11:44pm On Feb 21, 2013
Yes oo,all dis governors dat do pack our money,we re waitin oo,make una catch 1,and liv poor nigerians
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by AbdulAdam56(m): 11:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
I didn't see a big deal there,look at many thiefs/fraudsters in the country,nd nobody cares 2 arrest them or prosocute them.Leave the prof alone.Joor

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by pmc01(m): 11:45pm On Feb 21, 2013
chiover: Prof cought!!!!! Good job, but, when shaLl a governor be caught

Make Tomorrow reach first nah wink grin
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by ajayi147(m): 11:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
Yes oo,na governors dey pack our money pass,wen una go catch 1
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by adezjamz(m): 11:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
TYdot862: What is this country turning to. You can imagine an academician stealing such amounts of money.
Is this what is teaching his student in the class? God will help us in this country. He must be punished.

how fast should you conclude he stole the money? & if he did, he should be a bold thief for declaring the money. Can you be as bold?

6 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by PeeDaVinci: 11:48pm On Feb 21, 2013
rubbish, rubbish, rubbish!!!! what has the prof done wrong, what was his crime, when does owning money, and declaring it before travelling out become a crime? on what ground /suspicion are they detaining him? maybe the custom should then start arresting politicians e.g. gej who suddenly became billionaire overnight after getting to political office with no obvious source of income, because frankly, they can not account for their billions too

4 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by giveburns: 11:49pm On Feb 21, 2013
This could be a scheme to bring everyone's attention to an otherwise sedentary parastatal (Customs). ... and people are quick at condemning the academia even when the article gives no tangible detail about the identity of this so called Prof.

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
moroh:
One million dollars sir! How many students are in the school?Not possible
160 million Naira is just 50,000 naira in 3,200 places. Each Department in my school had average of 1000 students, add that number to students in all departments in the Faculty who offer a lecturer;s course as elective, we are talking of average of 4,000 students, seriously $1m is a tiny sum if you want to expose the rot in the system, we have not added the money generated from sales of hand out yet.
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by s25million: 11:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
He is an instrument.
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
Prof: This money is meant for settling oil block rifts in Kenya.
EFCC: It's a white lie. Where did you get this huge amount of money? Talk now before you lose one eye!
Prof: Erm erm I also sell handouts & do some sortings.
EFCC: You are charged with money laundering, extortion of students & other unmentionable university crimes.
Prof: This is lugubrious, abysmal, ridiculous, outrageous. It's a dent to my bonafide human right. Get my lawyer pls...

5 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by mosquitoNet(m): 11:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
A professor working for an oil company? Nawaooooshocked
Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 21, 2013
Billyonaire: Its possible. Sorting and Handouts generate more than that annually. In my days, a lecture was fired for receiving 40k per student to give them a C and 50k for a B, and that was like 10 yrs ago. Pass forward to 2013.
Hmmm...that means the lecturer spends most of his career in 'sorting career'. Interesting

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by LasBonBoi: 11:55pm On Feb 21, 2013
[size=14pt]The dull Prof can not even told a lied!!! He disappointing me[/size]

Well he teached me English undecided

2 Likes

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by Nobody: 11:55pm On Feb 21, 2013
binger: Hmmm...that means the lecturer spends most of his career in 'sorting career'. Interesting
What do you want me to say, the man declared how much he carried, but I wonder why he had to travel with cash when he can readily use telegraphic wire.

1 Like

Re: Professor Arrested With $1 Million At Lagos Airport by pmc01(m): 11:56pm On Feb 21, 2013
ajayi147: Yes oo,all dis governors dat do pack our money,we re waitin oo,make una catch 1,and liv poor nigerians

1 million dolls, na poor Nigerian? u gotta b kiddin.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lekki Robbery Suspect Sues Police For N1m / Lebanese Drug Trafficker Arrested By NDLEA / Female Herbalist Tries Killing Client After Duping Him Of N2M In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.