Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? (2093 Views)

Is It By Force To Take Your Child To Santa? (Photo) / Mothers, How Many Of You Still Do This? / Is It Right For Mothers To Tongue Kiss Children (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2013
seriously i am at crossroads here.
He is a year old, and i got a bfp some few months ago. i have tried (reallly tried o!) to get him off my b.bs. but he just wont budge!... even with quinine he just sucked the thing off with no qualms..my doc9 says to double my diet but as it is the stress is wayyy more than i can bear, especially at nights.
Seriously how did you guys do it?..
thanks.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by zayhal(f): 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2013
During the day distract him with other things, drinks that he likes etc and outings. Let him play with other people, to reduce the time he spends with you. At night, wear very good bra to sleep and clothings he can't pull off easily. Let him feed well before going to bed, feed on solid I mean not bosom milk. If its possible for you to have him pass the night with his dad or other relative staying with you, that'll be fine. But whether he sleeps in your bed or not, be ready for his cries cos he's going to cry well if he wants to suckle and you refuse to give him.

Get milk or beverages ready by his bed so that he can have thosee when he wakes up. He may or may not take this though if he suspects you're substituting those for his breast milk.

The good news is that he'd have forgotten about b/f after a week.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by iyatrustee(f): 3:56pm On Feb 22, 2013
When i wanted to wean my 2nd child, i made him sleep in the same room with my sister for about a week. prior to him sleeping away from me, i had introduced beverage to him which was what they fed him at night.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by blank(f): 4:15pm On Feb 22, 2013
Give him eba before he sleeps at night. That one stopped all that night waking nonsense cos by now he should be sleeping throughout the night. Give him his bottle anytime he wants to suck. Do not give in to him cos he will realise that he justs needs to persevere and continue crying that he will eventually win.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 6:50pm On Feb 22, 2013
blank: Give him eba before he sleeps at night. That one stopped all that night waking nonsense cos by now he should be sleeping throughout the night. Give him his bottle anytime he wants to suck. Do not give in to him cos he will realise that he justs needs to persevere and continue crying that he will eventually win.
zayhal: During the day distract him with other things, drinks that he likes etc and outings. Let him play with other people, to reduce the time he spends with you. At night, wear very good bra to sleep and clothings he can't pull off easily. Let him feed well before going to bed, feed on solid I mean not bosom milk. If its possible for you to have him pass the night with his dad or other relative staying with you, that'll be fine. But whether he sleeps in your bed or not, be ready for his cries cos he's going to cry well if he wants to suckle and you refuse to give him.

Get milk or beverages ready by his bed so that he can have thosee when he wakes up. He may or may not take this though if he suspects you're substituting those for his breast milk.

The good news is that he'd have forgotten about b/f after a week.

blank: Give him eba before he sleeps at night. That one stopped all that night waking nonsense cos by now he should be sleeping throughout the night. Give him his bottle anytime he wants to suck. Do not give in to him cos he will realise that he justs needs to persevere and continue crying that he will eventually win.
lol at eba.. my son eats everything we eat, even starch. he never took a bottle from when he was born, we couldnt get him to so we spoon fed him his formula and water.. the thing is no matter how much he eats, he will still want to nurse. he really loves his beverages, but i think he already knows the difference. and hes already drveloped the habit of sleeping with my boo.bs in his mouth.
really ive nothing new to introduce him to as he can now eat everything.
maybe ill let him c.i.o and see how it works out.
thanks.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 7:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
iyatrustee: When i wanted to wean my 2nd child, i made him sleep in the same room with my sister for about a week. prior to him sleeping away from me, i had introduced beverage to him which was what they fed him at night.
i did try to make him sleep alone with my husband once.. before i could even settle down for a good night sleep, i saw my sleepy and grumbling husband with my very wide awake son in the room.maybe ill try him with my bil.. if it doesnt work out, then its c.i.o for us(sigh).
thanks.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by amarush(f): 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2013
Are you still giving night feeds at 1 year old? I feel for you, my first child was breast fed upto 13 months so was difficult to wean off the b.reast milk and was still looking for milk at night. Gave a bottle of formula during the day and before bed. Then if she woke at night gave her water, she realised that she was not gonna get milk at night so eventually just slept though it took a looonnng time to get there. I learnt from my mistake and so with my second started early. When she was 8 months started to wean her off night feeds. If she woke up at night i gave her water and let her cry it out, there were sleepless nights but now at 10 months she sleeps from 7pm till 7am. Its wasn't easy esp at night, but luckily I'm on maternity leave so didn't have to worry about falling asleep at my desk. I found that water and cry it out worked, so good luck.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 8:11pm On Feb 22, 2013
amarush: Are you still giving night feeds at 1 year old? I feel for you, my first child was breast fed upto 13 months so was difficult to wean off the b.reast milk and was still looking for milk at night. Gave a bottle of formula during the day and before bed. Then if she woke at night gave her water, she realised that she was not gonna get milk at night so eventually just slept though it took a looonnng time to get there. I learnt from my mistake and so with my second started early. When she was 8 months started to wean her off night feeds. If she woke up at night i gave her water and let her cry it out, there were sleepless nights but now at 10 months she sleeps from 7pm till 7am. Its wasn't easy esp at night, but luckily I'm on maternity leave so didn't have to worry about falling asleep at my desk. I found that water and cry it out worked, so good luck.
he co-sleeps with us so i dont really have to get up and bf him.. i just hand him the boob when i see him getting fussy and he goes right back to sleep.. he is already so used to this method i dont know if he will agree to anything else.. i am sooo not making this mistake with my next l.o..
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by wendycog: 10:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
With my first child I also breastfed her till she was a year old. To wean her, I had to literarily hold her for three days straight while she cried and kept saying no, no, no when she tried to suckle. Boy was is painful - for both of us - but it worked. After the third day she just stopped asking and starting eating solids.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by greatgod2012(f): 4:24am On Feb 23, 2013
If all methods highlighted above have failed, trust me, this cant fail, if only you will be able to do it, that is what i did to my first baby....here we go.......
If you have a trusted friend or relative or your mum, or MIL, then, drop him with them for at least 5 days, do not go there at all, pack everything he will need along, d biscuits, drinks, beverages and all sorts, his dad or your BIL/SIL may be going there to check on him daily but not you durng those periods, i tell you, by d time he will come back, he would have forgotten about bosom.......but dont remind him again, by dressing or offdressing in his presence, dont bath with him, dont sleep together with him without your br.a and cloth on.
This is what i did for my first baby, when he was 1+ and refused to even take any other thing apart from breast milk.......so, i invited my mum to come pick him to her place.....he spent a week there, i learnt it was only d first night that he cried, afterwards, he just dey cooperate dey go.......and his dad was there for about 5 times, even d day he came back, it was his dad that brought him back....i tell you......maturity instantly set in, he didnt even remember anything about bosomfeeding again.
Try it.
May God help us all.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Seun(m): 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
I want to commend you ladies for breastfeeding for a year. That's cool.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by deybowlah: 1:15pm On Feb 23, 2013
hI just stopped my girl 5days ago after exactly 13months of bossom feeding. This was how it went.
She didnt want to take solid and even if she does she takes just little. She sucks over 4times at night esp early mornings. Everybody was complaining i stop her but i didnt have the liver
The day she turned 13months i made up my mind this has to stop. I gave her 2.5mls instead of 5mls indicated on the sleeping syrup. It lasted her till 3.30am then she started crying. I backed her till she slept on nd off till morning. I got her busy during the day. The second nite we repeated the same vigil. I didnt give her sleeping syrup the 2nd nite. It was just the 1st nite.
She is so intelligent she knew i didnt want to give her bossom milk. You need to see the look of betrayal on her face the next morning. Ifelt bad and shed tears. She made up her mind to move on and she is now feeding very well.
The main gist of this my long story is you have to make up your mind i knw its not easy. You will feel sorry for him but he has to grow up.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 2:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
greatgod2012: If all methods highlighted above have failed, trust me, this cant fail, if only you will be able to do it, that is what i did to my first baby....here we go.......
If you have a trusted friend or relative or your mum, or MIL, then, drop him with them for at least 5 days, do not go there at all, pack everything he will need along, d biscuits, drinks, beverages and all sorts, his dad or your BIL/SIL may be going there to check on him daily but not you durng those periods, i tell you, by d time he will come back, he would have forgotten about bosom.......but dont remind him again, by dressing or offdressing in his presence, dont bath with him, dont sleep together with him without your br.a and cloth on.
This is what i did for my first baby, when he was 1+ and refused to even take any other thing apart from breast milk.......so, i invited my mum to come pick him to her place.....he spent a week there, i learnt it was only d first night that he cried, afterwards, he just dey cooperate dey go.......and his dad was there for about 5 times, even d day he came back, it was his dad that brought him back....i tell you......maturity instantly set in, he didnt even remember anything about bosomfeeding again.
Try it.
May God help us all.
unfortunately we are living in a town where i know nobody.. not one single relative of mine lives here.. my friends are verrry far away.. my mil has some health related issues so would seem unfair to burden her at this point, and my dear sil dat would have really helped now, travelled since christmas to the u.s and her husband just tied her there.. i am even the one taking care of her kids right now.. then my husband? he loves to help but comma finish him side.. every tym he helps to bathe our son na fight cus he go just scrub the pickin like back of pot.. dat one will just wail and try to run out of his bath. feeding is a very normal disaster . i try to avoid asking for his help altogether if i can..lol!. at this point i am alone o! . but God dey.. i will try and do this on my own..and pray it works out fine.
thanks.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 2:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
deybowlah: hI just stopped my girl 5days ago after exactly 13months of bossom feeding. This was how it went.
She didnt want to take solid and even if she does she takes just little. She sucks over 4times at night esp early mornings. Everybody was complaining i stop her but i didnt have the liver
The day she turned 13months i made up my mind this has to stop. I gave her 2.5mls instead of 5mls indicated on the sleeping syrup. It lasted her till 3.30am then she started crying. I backed her till she slept on nd off till morning. I got her busy during the day. The second nite we repeated the same vigil. I didnt give her sleeping syrup the 2nd nite. It was just the 1st nite.
She is so intelligent she knew i didnt want to give her bossom milk. You need to see the look of betrayal on her face the next morning. Ifelt bad and shed tears. She made up her mind to move on and she is now feeding very well.
The main gist of this my long story is you have to make up your mind i knw its not easy. You will feel sorry for him but he has to grow up.
thanks for ur contributions dear..
what type of syrup did you use?..
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by Warfibabe(f): 2:38pm On Feb 23, 2013
Seun: I want to commend you ladies for breastfeeding for a year. That's cool.
oga seun thanks..
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by greatgod2012(f): 3:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
Warfibabe: unfortunately we are living in a town where i know nobody.. not one single relative of mine lives here.. my friends are verrry far away.. my mil has some health related issues so would seem unfair to burden her at this point, and my dear sil dat would have really helped now, travelled since christmas to the u.s and her husband just tied her there.. i am even the one taking care of her kids right now.. then my husband? he loves to help but comma finish him side.. every tym he helps to bathe our son na fight cus he go just scrub the pickin like back of pot.. dat one will just wail and try to run out of his bath. feeding is a very normal disaster . i try to avoid asking for his help altogether if i can..lol!. at this point i am alone o! . but God dey.. i will try and do this on my own..and pray it works out fine.
thanks.

then, if that is it, you will have to be determined like what i did to my present baby, likely my last born grin.......because i was trying to extra care him as d last born, i didnt wean him on time, until one day he decided to embarrass me in public, pulling my clothes to have his way, then, he was 1.7yrs, i just decided i aint going to allow him to suckle again and that was it, though, it cost me about 3-4 days of vigil, but i didnt mind, in d evening, i make sure he's well fed, and when he wakes up in d night, i offered him tea, will drink and start crying, i will coldshower him and back him, that is how he would sleep off, by d fourth day, he started sleeping thruout d night, so, be determined and God will help you, this is one of d reasons it seems kids are usually closer to their mums.
May God help us all.
Re: FOR MOTHERS.. How Did You Get Your Child To Stop B.reas.t Feeding? by sugar001(f): 7:23am On Mar 07, 2013
I didnt know that weaning could be difficult. My chairman is 11 months. I plan to stop bfing next month. @replies.. Thanks for the tips.

(1) (Reply)

Man Sues Wife For Giving Birth To Ugly Baby / Treat Yeast Infection With These Home Remedies / Post By A Selfish Nigerian(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.