Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,279 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 (14292 Views)

Denrele Attacked For Sending Beverly Osu To Represent Nigeria At Big Brother / Tonto Dike To Represent Nigeria In Big Brother Africa / The Oscars 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Willgates(m): 11:17pm On Feb 22, 2013
Banku&Tilapia:

Wot do u expect from an actress wit a name like TOTO DICKK-HEADD grin grin cheesy angry u can't be invited to an important function wit a name like dat.

itz Toto-Dick-eh grin
combination of two... lipsrsealed
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Willgates(m): 11:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
Willgates:
itz Toto-Dick-eh grin
combination of two... lipsrsealed

i said Toto-D.i.c.k-eh sad
no dy change wetin i write,no b una papa MB i dy use wo...una hear me so? angry
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Willgates(m): 11:22pm On Feb 22, 2013
Willgates:
i said Toto-D.i.c.k-eh sad
no dy change wetin i write,no b una papa MB i dy use wo...una hear me so? angry
cry
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 11:24pm On Feb 22, 2013
huni_naija:

Honey, we're not fighting ok? Why so much vigour and anger in your posts?? We're just discussing a topic no need to get so worked up ok?

You cannot deny the fact that nollywood is africa's largest movie industry and second in the world, in terms of value and the number of movies produced per year?

I never denied the fact that other african countries don't have there own great entertainment, just that nollywood is leading for now within africa!

Nollywood leading within Africa? Right, that's why none of their actors were able to receive a mere invitation to the Ocars.
Please have seat all the way down \_ you're not making sense.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 11:37pm On Feb 22, 2013
Congratulations to the amazing actress.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by huninaija(f): 11:45pm On Feb 22, 2013
HisRib:

Nollywood leading within Africa? Right, that's why none of their actors were able to receive a mere invitation to the Ocars.

Oh and you're making sense right? You can't even disprove what was said with edible facts, just speaking from both sides of your mouth...

Be gone!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by VillageBoi(m): 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
huni_naija: Not to sound rude, but iv never heard of this young lady before..
After all nollywood has done for the continent and continues to do, only one rising star from congo is chosen to represent africa?
Wow! What kind of snub is this? We may not be at hollywood's level yet, but that doesn't take away the fact that nollywood has produced some of the leading african actors and actresses known today! And paved the way for african film and entertainment!
Even in the well.... embarassed

First of all your post shows clearly that you know nothing about 'film' apart from 'Idumota Home Videos'. Not meaning to be rude but you have not heard of her because you are most probably far too bush, living under a rock and think that the Internet is a 'gossip' place ONLY!

You also ask "What sort of a snub is this?" Back to my first point - you know nothing about film and you definitely don't know anything about films at the Oscars or how they get there. Mention any 'Nollywood' films ever submitted for consideration... we never have! I didn't want to write anything in this thread but your post is so da.ft it's beyond ridiculous.

African film & entertainment started way back, Egypt kicked it off by making short films as far back as 1896 with the first feature in 1927. So please chillax with your total ignorance and at least be happy for the girl... your bad-belle get as e be!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by jesusisgood(f): 11:57pm On Feb 22, 2013
@CFCfan

You live in Cali, don't you?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 22, 2013
HisRib:

What great movie has she done that she should be invited!? Nonsense!
"Blackberry Babes". grin
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 11:59pm On Feb 22, 2013
jesusisgood: @CFCfan

You live in Cali, isn't it?

Yeah, I do.

You can PM, so that we don't run the risk of derailing this thread.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by huninaija(f): 12:06am On Feb 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

First of all your post shows clearly that you know nothing about 'film' apart from 'Idumota Home Videos'. Not meaning to be rude but you have not heard of her because you are most probably far too bush, living under a rock and think that the Internet is a 'gossip' place ONLY!

You also ask "What sort of a snub is this?" Back to my first point - you know nothing about film and you definitely don't know anything about films at the Oscars or how they get there. Mention any 'Nollywood' films ever submitted for consideration... we never have! I didn't want to write anything in this thread but your post is so da.ft it's beyond ridiculous.

African film & entertainment started way back, Egypt kicked it off by making short films as far back as 1896 with the first feature in 1927. So please chillax with your total ignorance and at least be happy for the girl... your bad-belle get as e be!

And look who shows up? If not The biggest id.i.ott of them all.. Next time speak when you're addressed to i don't expect you to know that going by your username...

I may not know a lot about the movie industry but i am aware that Nollywood has produced some of the leading actors and actresses we know today and this cannot be denied, our caliber of films may not be top notch but this has not stopped us from reaching the heights we have attained today..

Your long epistle was just a waste of time, now foolishboy get lost and whilst you're at it go play in traffic... Coon!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 12:14am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

Miss congolese, did you finally find your Nigerian crush? Seem like you didn't evident in your bitter remarks. Cheers though

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 1:53am On Feb 23, 2013
$25 million:
Miss congolese, did you finally find your Nigerian crush? Seem like you didn't evident in your bitter remarks. Cheers though

Did you have to emphasise on the fact that she is congolese?
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 3:36am On Feb 23, 2013
huni_naija:

And look who shows up? If not The biggest id.i.ott of them all.. Next time speak when you're addressed to i don't expect you to know that going by your username...

I may not know a lot about the movie industry but i am aware that Nollywood has produced some of the leading actors and actresses we know today and this cannot be denied, our caliber of films may not be top notch but this has not stopped us from reaching the heights we have attained today..

Your long epistle was just a waste of time, now foolishboy get lost and whilst you're at it go play in traffic... Coon!

Nigeria has produced some of the leading actors & actresses according to who? No one else other than "Nigerians" see them as leading actors. If it were the case, by now they would've collaborated with people in Hollywood. Nollywood talent is recognized by Nigerians only, just like no one gives a damn about Bollywood.

Rachel's accomplishment is what makes Africa proud. Not some foolish American copy cats that go by the name of Nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 3:42am On Feb 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

Villageboi you're so right. Nigerians are starting to think they are the ones who've opened the doors for African actors. Africans have been acting long before Nollywood came around. If these Nigerian actors were as good as some people on this forum have claimed, why aren't they at the oscars? Not even invited as guests!

Nollywood actors think they've arrived. No boo, they have a LONG way to go before anyone takes them seriously!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 3:43am On Feb 23, 2013
LOL ! @hisrib y you so mad? ! shocked

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 3:48am On Feb 23, 2013
huni_naija:

Oh and you're making sense right? You can't even disprove what was said with edible facts, just speaking from both sides of your mouth...

Be gone!

You're hilarious. You've not provided facts for your points either. Saying Nigerian actors have paved the way for African actors is an opinion not a fact. Fact is no one cares about Nollywood. They haven't even reached Bollywood level & they dare to dream about attending the oscars.

Bollywood has been around longer than Nollywood & their actors don't get Oscar invites. What makes you believe low budget Nigerian actresses/actors will?

As I stated earlier, Nollywood actresses have barely made it. Congrats to Rachel for putting Africa on the map!

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 3:50am On Feb 23, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:
LOL ! @hisrib y you so mad? ! shocked

These people annoy me! Sorry if I sound mad! Nigerians are too full of themselves. Some of them need a good reality check. They need to know that Nollywood is & will remain irrelevant until they step up their game.

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 3:51am On Feb 23, 2013

you arent making any distinction between hollywood and nollywood.

actors of nigerian origin in hollywood, are different from nigerian actors in/from nollywood.

the two rarely overlap, or can you mention any instances when they did?

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by tpia5: 3:55am On Feb 23, 2013
saying Nigerian actors have paved the way for African factors is an opinion not a fact.

i also dont agree with that statement, sounds like wishful thinking imo.

Fact is no one cares about Nollywood.

a lot of foreigners do watch nollywood- carribeans, AAs, etc. I think their main reason is they feel it helps them learn about african culture and people.

They haven't even reached Bollywood level & they dare to dream about attending the oscars.

to me, these comparisons (hollywood, nollywood, bollywood, etc) are like apples and oranges.

they shouldnt be considered the same.
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:02am On Feb 23, 2013
tpia@:

i also dont agree with that statement, sounds like wishful thinking imo.

a lot of foreigners do watch nollywood- carribeans, AAs, etc. I think their main reason is they feel it helps them learn about african culture and people.

to me, these comparisons are like apples and oranges.

they shouldnt be considered the same.

Yea foreigners watch Nollywood movies, but unfortunately that won't get us to Hollywood. The films are filmed on such a low budget -- that's why only other foreigners can enjoy them. A European or American would not even last 2 minutes .

Nollywood has a long way to go. They have to humble themselves & realize that. Instead they decide to cry about their low budget movies not being recognized by Hollywood. Like you gotta be kidding me right now!

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:03am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

These people annoy me! Sorry if I sound mad! Nigerians are too full of themselves. Some of them need a good reality check. They need to know that Nollywood is & will remain irrelevant until they step up their game.

Btw your english is very good, I couldn't have guessed that you were from the DRC, eloko ya makasi! smiley
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:06am On Feb 23, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:

Btw your english is very good, I couldn't have guessed that you were from the DRC, eloko ya makasi! smiley

Oh thanks! I'm half Chinese and half Congolese. Are you Congolese?

Si si, eloko ya makasi!
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 4:06am On Feb 23, 2013
The title of this thread is SOOO misleading. She is not going to represent Africa, per se. She is going to represent herself and the movie she starred in, War Witch, which is a Canadian movie about Africa and was produced by a Canadian/Vietnamese film maker. This movie was nominated for an Oscar award.
[img]http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rachel+Mwanza+Rebelle+Premiere+62nd+Berlinale+XPsJ7Se61tVl.jpg[/img]
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:08am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

Oh thanks! I'm half Chinese and half Congolese. Are you Congolese?

Si si, eloko ya makasi!

Yes congolese+tanzanian ,currently living in china, wht a coincidence lol .
Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:10am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:
The title of this thread is SOOO misleading. She is not going to represent Africa, per se. She is going to represent herself and the movie she starred in, War Witch, which is a Canadian movie about Africa and was produced by a Canadian/Vietnamese film maker. This movie was nominated for an Oscar award.
[img]http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rachel+Mwanza+Rebelle+Premiere+62nd+Berlinale+XPsJ7Se61tVl.jpg[/img]

She will be the ONLY African in a movie that is nominated for the Oscars, hence, she will be representing us at the Oscars!

She will be the only representation of Africa indeed.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by Nobody: 4:11am On Feb 23, 2013
c.fours:

She is still representing AFRICA in a way, did any other african actor/actress get an invit? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:14am On Feb 23, 2013
@kenyattaMoore:

She is still representing AFRICA in a way, did any other african actor/actress get an invit? undecided

EXACTLY. Had it been a Nollywood actress, I'm sure they would have agreed with the title.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by HisRib(f): 4:20am On Feb 23, 2013
Biko...please... There's no need to be upset. This young girl's talent clearly surpasses that of Nollywood actors combined. It's quite clear who the true star is. The one who will seating next to Angelina Jolie, Meryl Strip, George Clooney at the oscars. It's a wrap! Goodbye!

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by s25million: 4:29am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib:

if they irritate you so much as you have projected, get off their damn forum and stop whining. Your post stinks of myriads of bitterness, hate and envy. It's becoming an eyesore.

1 Like

Re: Congolese Actress, Rachel Mwanza To Represent Africa At The Oscars 2013 by cfours: 4:30am On Feb 23, 2013
HisRib: Biko...please... There's no need to be upset. This young girl's talent clearly surpasses that of Nollywood actors combined. It's quite clear who the true star is. The one who will seating next to Angelina Jolie, Meryl Strip, George Clooney at the oscars. It's a wrap! Goodbye!

whatever floats your boat. Oscars is an American/European thing.
do you see Americans fighting over representation in Nollywood?
Why should we be fighting over who gets to go represent in Oscars? who cares?
we have our own award ceremony.

and just for the records. She is NOT representing Africa at the Oscars. The movie was created, produced and directed by Canadians. Just because she acted in it doesn't mean she automatically is representing all Africans.
Remember Slumdog Millionaire, the American movie about India. So will you say that Freida Pinto who won an Oscar for her role is representing India? She is NOT even a bollywood actress. Slumdog Millionare is an American movie with indian people starring in it. very plain and simple. Do you see indians fighting over that? NO most indians could care less. they prefer their bollywood actresses.

all these Oyinbo worshippers don tire me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Cinema Etiquette / BBNaija: 7 Remarkable Highlights From ‘Level Up’ Season / Photos From The Amvcas 2016 Nominee Announcement Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.