Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra (1356 Views)

Fayose Begins The Construction Of Flyover In Ekiti State (Photos) / Pictures From On Going Construction Of 2nd Niger Bridge. / FG Has So Far Spent N10bn On 2nd Niger Bridge — Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by chino24: 8:21pm On Feb 22, 2013
FG begins construction of Second Niger Bridge soon

Apparently worried by the  imminent collapse of the over 50 years old Niger Bridge, the federal government yesterday confirmed a plan to perform the ground breaking of the second Niger Bridge in Onitsha, Anambra State next month.

The Minister of Works, Mr Mike Onolemmen, who dropped the hint at a meeting yesterday, with the Senate Committee on Works, also dismissed as false the claim that the Lagos Third Mainland Bridge was in danger.

The minister told the Senate Probe Panel that there were no verifiable evidence that the Third Mainland Bridge was about to collapse. According to him, Messrs Julius Berger-AIM Consortium’s bid emerged as the best contractor that is capable of executing the contract.

The investigation hearing yesterday followed a motion last week by Senator Gbanga Ashafar drawing the attention of the stunned senators to what he called was an imminent collapse of the Mainland Bridge.

Senator Ashafa (ACN Lagos) told the senators that a report of a sea diver (firm) which investigated the structural integrity of the bridge was frightening adding that unless urgent steps are taken the country may be in for another major disaster. But the Minister of Works in a reaction yesterday insisted that there was no cause for alarm.

According to him, “Based on the results of the investigation done, there is no evidence of immediate threat of collapsing of the pilings. The current consistence and extension of local damages found on concrete and steel rebar of the inspected piles is not so serious to affect the global structural behaviours and bearing capacity of the foundation analysed.”

However urgent measures have to be adopted to repair the indicated pilling to avoid further degradation and risk on the whole structure, since the total loss of the casing and consequent direct exposure of the peripheral concrete, is expediting a progressive degradation of concrete and bars.  Chairman of the committee, Senator Ayogu Eze and other members of the panel, who spoke at the hearing yesterday insisted that the Senate as an institution was concerned with the safety of Nigerians and other users of the bridges.

Senator Eze however commended the minister for allaying the fears of Nigerians.

The minister told the committee that the work on the second Niger Bridge will start before the end of the first quarter of the fiscal year adding that the old bridge will be open to smaller vehicles when the new bridge comes into use. He said that more repairs would commence on the old Niger Bridge even as he ruled out it imminent collapse.

The minister on second Niger Bridge said, “Messrs Julius Berger-AIM Consortiums’ bid emerged as the best and on the basis of this, a letter seeking the President’s anticipatory approval was sent on the January 11, 2013. This was followed by a request from the President’s office asking the ministry to submit the outcome of an outline business case, OBC, by transaction advisor and issuance of “No Objection” from the ICRC upon which the approval will be granted.

“The OBC has been submitted to the ICRC in compliance with the provision in the national policy on PPP and soon as the “No Objection” is issued by ICRC, the ministry will re-seek the President anticipatory approval to enable the project proceed to the next phase of the procurement. Early construction work will commence immediately on site once the concession has been awarded to the preferred bidder.”

http://www.nigerianpilot.com/fg-begins-construction-of-second-niger-bridge-soon/
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by debosky(m): 8:22pm On Feb 22, 2013
Julius Begger? cheesy Where does he beg? cheesy cheesy
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Igwe9(m): 8:24pm On Feb 22, 2013
Good news but why Julius Begger? cheesy
On a serious note, Julius Berger has not been doing fine of recent, maybe their name should really be changed to begger.
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by billante(m): 8:26pm On Feb 22, 2013
Chino u can do better than that! Post a complete report with link!
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2013
Read about the Julius Beggar contract yesterday. Seeing will be believing. I will post my earlier link to prove.

On the other hand, GEJ works will speak for demselves come 2015.
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Nightshift(m): 8:48pm On Feb 22, 2013
Bilfinger Berger AG known in Nigeria as Julius Berger Nigeria PLC, is the second largest construction company in Germany, after Hochtief AG. Berger has constructed first class Autobahns, major roads + bridges running thousands of kilometres in its native country . Berger has also built major roads and bridges in UAE. Corruption and lack of setting of standards for road construction by Nigerian authorities have ruined Berger's image in Nigeria. Nevertheless, it's still the best of the pack, and should be the one to build a new bridge across the Niger at Onitsha.
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by 9jaIhail(m): 9:03pm On Feb 22, 2013
chino24: The contract was awarded to the construction Julius Berger.
GE for 2015 all the way

http://www.nigerianpilot.com/fg-begins-construction-of-second-niger-bridge-soon/
GE for 2015 all the way

GE for 2015 all the way

Though the news sound good but i hate to get carried away when a Nigerian politician make me a promise due to the fact that most of them usually use Nigerians for campaign and dump them. For the fact that GEJ is the one in the aso rock i will give him a benefit of doubt.

GEJ if you are reading this comment, i challenge you to complete the Niger bridge and complete the enugu airport,i will leave whatever i am doing come home campaign for you with my own money,vote for you and make sure i help you win the heart of my community, yes my community i can win their heart for you but my state? no i am not sure if i can pull them.

Mind you that will be my first ever time voting for anyone in Nigeria politics. A man who is above 30yrs proud for not have voted in his country due to what bad leaders does to his people in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Series22(m): 11:52pm On Feb 22, 2013
Na 2day we start dey hear of 2nd niger bridge? shagari, ibb, abacha, obj, yaradua all signed a contract 4 d said bridge, but til 2day(even til 2morw) we no see am. GEJ, abeg make we hear word. no b 2day nyash dey 4 bck.
Niger bridge ko, stamford bridge ni. mtchew
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Pygru: 6:02am On Feb 23, 2013
Good
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by Pygru: 6:04am On Feb 23, 2013
Good cool
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by chino24: 7:29am On Feb 23, 2013
Series22: Na 2day we start dey hear of 2nd niger bridge? shagari, ibb, abacha, obj, yaradua all signed a contract 4 d said bridge, but til 2day(even til 2morw) we no see am. GEJ, abeg make we hear word. no b 2day nyash dey 4 bck.
Niger bridge ko, stamford bridge ni. mtchew

GEJ did the Onitsha Port which is being concessioned now, he will do the ground breaking of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha next month. He equally endorsed and commissioned Anambra as an oil producing state, which previous administrations could not do for us, but GEJ did all that. Watch and see how the niger bridge will emerge soon, all these are why Obi is very close to the presidency and same reason we are gonna vote him in 2015
Re: FG Has Awarded The Construction of 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha-Anambra by chino24: 11:10am On Feb 23, 2013
Future video clip of 2nd Niger Bridge-Onitsha as designed by experts.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UXRW2pSuHpo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUXRW2pSuHpo&gl=GB

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigeria Adopt A New Foreign Policy? / Leveraging Akanu Ibiam International Airport (AIIA) And Ibaka Deep Seaport / An Old Picture Of Ibb And Vatsa In The 70s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.