Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief (1234 Views)

Despite Cash Crunch, Nigeria Donates Vehicles To Benin Republic / Yoruba Farmers Accuse Traditional Rulers Of Receiving Bribe From Fulani Herdsmen / President Buhari Arrives Nigeria From His One Day Visit To Benin Republic(photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by wesley80(m): 5:25am On Feb 23, 2013

By Simon Ebegbulem, Benin
THE State Government has stopped Yoruba farmers in Okada, Ovia North East Local Government Council from paying N40 million royalty per annum to a high ranking Benin Chief who sublet government land to the farmers. Governor Adams Oshiomhole, during a visit to him in his office by the Yoruba farmers said Government has recovered the land from the Benin Chief and reverted it back to the state government. [b] He warned the farmers, who said they were under constant threat by the Chief to pay this year’s N40 million royalty, that “under no circumstance should you pay taxes to an individual and I warn that if you do, we will evict you from the land.” The Governor explained that the land which the Benin Chief sublet does not belong to him, asserting: “as far as I know, there are only two custodians of land in Edo State. First, is that all land is vested in the state government; the second is the Oba of Benin by virtue of the fact of being the Oba of Benin and the history behind that institution as regards traditional ownership of land. “As far as I know, government policy across the country is that Nigerians cannot be tenant farmers particularly on government- owned lands, because the land in question is government-owned that was reserved for an individual for the purpose of farming by himself, not to sublet to actual farmers who then pay royalties to him. The only person who can collect royalties in Edo State is the Oba of Benin, no other person as far as I know. Oshiomhole said there are no second class citizens in the state, and that the state government treats all Nigerians equally : “What you are expected is to pay your personal income tax. You are an Hausa man, you are an Ibo man, you are Itsekiri man, you are Ijaw and you live in the land area called Edo, you are not a second class citizen. Where you live you have the right to farm. [/b] And the money you make from you farming is your money, the only think that the law requires of you is to pay your personal income tax. “So if you make as much as N10 million in income, we will assess your income tax on the basis of your earning but you cannot pay tax to individuals, no matter how highly placed. I as the Governor I cannot ask you to pay tax to me if I give you land to farm. That land is government land, and when I exercise my privileges as a Governor, it doesn’t make me a governor, it doesn’t make me a landlord. “Under no circumstances should you pay taxes to an individual and I warn that if you do, then we will evict you from that land. All those lands you are talking about have been recovered by the government of Edo State. That land is reserved, you are entitled to farm on it within the agreed rules and if any dues are to be paid, they will paid directly to the treasury of Edo State Government” he declared.
vanguardngr.com/2013/02/oshiomhole-stops-farmers-in-okada-from-paying-n40m-royalty-to-benin-chief/
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by wesley80(m): 5:34am On Feb 23, 2013
"High ranking Benin Chief" and "Okada" in one sentence could only be referring to one ex-governor's Pops and yes, he used to own "Okada Air".
Two thumbs up to Oshiomhole, the APC's most eligible and deserving presidential candidate.
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by Pygru: 5:35am On Feb 23, 2013
Good
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by jumobi1(m): 5:46am On Feb 23, 2013
Why no arrest??
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by dayokanu(m): 6:41am On Feb 23, 2013
Well done Oshiomole ACN is proud of you.

That kind of excellent policy can only be found in the ACN while PDP chieftains like Adedibu insist that he should be receiving the security votes of a whole state

ACN democracy for Justice
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by kelvincoll(m): 6:46am On Feb 23, 2013
This is what is expected from a Gov'nor, kudos Oshobaba....... A lesson for Fash!
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by GARRIx7(m): 7:47am On Feb 23, 2013
Such news can only come from progressives!!!

The likes of Oshiomole, Fashola, Aregbesola etc!!!!

Kudos to the comrade governor!!!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by Nobody: 8:07am On Feb 23, 2013
FASHOLA is the role model for all governors...and even all ministers and GEJ too. Everyone wants to achieve like FASHOLA..but its not possible. OSHIOMOLE is a hardworking man, i love that...but if u think Oshiomole is more hardworking than Fashola..then u need serious medical checkDOWN

5 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by AustineE1: 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
....for me,a governor that has recieved 8trillion in revenue and allocatn in the last 5yrs and yet his state still makes the list of the worst cities to leave on earth,is absurd and self diminishing!Fashola is a product of lagos media over-hype,partly because of his penchant for giving out brown envelops to media personels!..that also amounts to corruptn.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by GARRIx7(m): 12:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
Austine.E:
....for me,a governor that has recieved 8trillion in revenue and allocatn in the last 5yrs and yet his state still makes the list of the worst cities to leave on earth,is absurd and self diminishing!Fashola is a product of lagos media over-hype,partly because of his penchant for giving out brown envelops to media personels!..that also amounts to corruptn.

.... Nonsense!!!

angry

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by eggheaders(m): 12:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
this sort of right thinking can only come from progressive in acn.to the fashola haters why can't you slowpokes go deal with failures like t.a orji and Peter obi ruining your enclaves. and who is not please with uncle fash government can relocate back to wherever they come from.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by Ejine(m): 1:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
dayokanu: Well done Oshiomole ACN is proud of you.

That kind of excellent policy can only be found in the ACN while PDP chieftains like Adedibu insist that he should be receiving the security votes of a whole state

ACN democracy for Justice

What a shame.
Can you even hear yourself? Oshiomhole is his own man, and he'll always be a strong political force regardless of the party he joins.
Infact, the ACN actually needs him more than he needs them, and his presence in the party is a blessing to ACN.

Stop trying to sound like it was that frog-eyed, cocaine-chuffing area boy who tutored and raised him to the man he is today. It just makes ACN and their supporters look pathetic if you don't know, cuz if you'd like to go down that lane, why not go ask the Ekiti governor what he's doing about that 2 billion naira 'Lagos office', abi that one no also follow for ACN policy maker again?

For phucks sake!

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by neheoteteli: 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2013
good one from the comrade gov. not that idiotic fashola that wants to kill everyone in lagos.
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by PhysicsQED(m): 2:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
wesley80: "High ranking Benin Chief" and "Okada" in one sentence could only be referring to one ex-governor's Pops and yes, he used to own "Okada Air".

lol
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by kramer: 3:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
Well done, more of this please... lets just hope they don't plot to assassinate him for spoiling their market
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
Igbinedion n his family has held my state down for too long! Thank u oshio baba for havin d balls to do dis! More on the way! U r trully the people's governor!
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by drnoel: 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
jumobi1: Why no arrest??
(laughs) easier said than done..
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by omenka(m): 5:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
eggheaders: this sort of right thinking can only come from progressive in acn.to the fashola haters why can't you slowpokes go deal with failures like t.a orji and Peter obi ruining your enclaves. and who is not please with uncle fash government can relocate back to wherever they come from.

By 'wherever they come from', are u implying their villages?
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by wesley80(m): 2:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
Fashola the elitist is just an average governor just like most of his PDP contemporaries, you guys need to deal with it.
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by otokx(m): 2:24pm On Feb 24, 2013
Kudos
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by annielady(f): 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2013
neheoteteli: good one from the comrade gov. not that idiotic fashola that wants to kill everyone in lagos.
Kudos to Oshiomhole, but can't we just learn to commend somebody without using d opportunity to insult another?
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by wesley80(m): 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
^ I'm sure we can but at certain times, comparisons are inevitable.
Re: Oshiomhole Stops Yoruba Farmers From Paying Royalty To Benin Chief by Standing5(m): 4:54pm On Feb 24, 2013
I hope PDP are learning something here.

(1) (Reply)

N26b Scam: Imo Lg’s Drag Rochas Before EFCC / Soldier-horse Sgt Akawala Marries In Kaduna / Are We Truly Ready To Develop And Unite Nigeria? By Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.