Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,426 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Advice Atheists Thread - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advice Atheists Thread (4210 Views)

Atheists Make More 'spiritual', 'emotional' Irrational Decisions Than They Admit / Obadiah Is Right- Nl/nigerian Atheists Are Losers That Need To Step Up / Dawkins Tells Atheists To "Mock Religion With Contempt," And Ravi's Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 4:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03: I am already starting to get pissed.

Why? Why does everyone just assume that I am one dimensional and just going to fight religion without thinking? I know that there are a myriad of problems in nigeria- Education, poverty, roads, corruption

Have we been bullied so much that we bring down any atheist that wants to do something about religious thinking in Nigeria? "oh look we have other problems, forget religon". "evangelical atheist"?

How the hell can an atheist be evangelical? A preaching of no belief? I even clearly said that I want to promote humanistic values and people are saying that I'm using children like child soldiers to promote atheism? Why dont I feed and house the children?

We need solutions. fellow atheists. Whether my ideas are wrong or not, we need to throw in better ideas not just kill all enthusiasm.
grin its too early to get pissed
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2013
alexleo:

Your plan is dead on arrival in Nigeria so keep it to yourself. We dont give a hoot. Be ready to be treated like a leper. You think this one is going to be like the one of you and your family members.

grin Is this what Jesus said about the good samaritan who didnt believe in Yahweh? I love you too
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 24, 2013
prairie: grin its too early to get pissed

Halleluyah smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 4:40pm On Feb 24, 2013
Seun: @Logicboy03: How about cases where religious beliefs lead to truly harmful outcomes?
- Accused child witches who are tortured and sometimes abandoned by their parents.
- People who waste time and money hoping for miracle cures instead of seeking the best medical treatments.
- Mentally ill people who are chained and beaten in "deliverance" sessions instead of getting proper treatment.

Also:
- Accused adult witches/wizards who are often attacked by angry mobs and burnt to death.
- Poor people who are poorer because they give significant portions of their meagre earnings to pastors (10% tithe, offerings, pledges)
seun one thing u must know is that these people u mentioned are not christians in the true sense of the word, and if u were really once a christian you'd know that being a christian doesnt entail all u listed
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by mazaje(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2013
wirinet:

i am sorry to say but i do not agree with your plan, message or methodology. I do not believe in "evangelizing" to bring people into atheism. You will only attract hatred, suspicion and sometimes harm. Although i would love to see atheist come together and promote some specific humanist agenda, seeking to deconvert religious people is not it.

Achieving atheism is like achieving buddhahood(enlightenment), it is a gradual and sometimes painful process. It is not easy to leave the comfort zone religion had provided from childhood and take a plunge into the uncertain uncomfortable world of non belief. Atheism is a state of self realization.

Theses homeless children you plan to use for your campaign, what are you providing for them? Are you going to provide them with a home, education, food? Because them promoting your atheist campaign would definitely estracize from the ultra-religious nigerian society, where children suspected of witch craft are murdered.

My own idea about promoting atheism is to present the facts pertaining to how the universe works and histories of the various religions, and let people who are interested read and decide for themselves. That was how Carl Sagan did it.

The key to fighting religious fanatism is education, education and education.

The ever inspiring wirinet. . . .You truly are my hero here on the board. . .
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by mazaje(m): 4:42pm On Feb 24, 2013
alexleo:

Your plan is dead on arrival in Nigeria so keep it to yourself. We dont give a hoot. Be ready to be treated like a leper. You think this one is going to be like the one of you and your family members.

LOL!. . . .No be small thing. . .
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 4:44pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

people were loving their neighbours before christ said it. People were already preaching it in Asian philosophies before Christ.

Why not see my side of the argument? You'd make a good atheist! smiley
*sneezes* yeah ryt, but u dont have to make assumptions look like proof to me, asian philosophies indeed. I dont need to be an atheist, I'd rather bask in God's love thank u smiley
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2013
mazaje:

The ever inspiring wirinet. . . .You truly are my hero here on the board. . .

You do realise that Wirinets first line was false. He attacked a strawman. I am not promoting atheism in that case.

The rest of his comments were not realistic claiming that we should do some carl sagan stuff. Please ask where are are going to find some TV station to start broadcasting such informative/scientiifc videos? Or we should just open a school and start teaching some atheistic philosophy?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
mazaje:

LOL!. . . .No be small thing. . .

Dont fall my hand. It saddens me when an atheist comes here to troll.

Look at the topic. What advice have you contributed?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 4:51pm On Feb 24, 2013
IMAGINE an Africa without RELIGION, the perfect Africa, the successful Africa

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
alexleo:

What is so new about being treated like a Leper? Obviously many Will feel their gravy train threatened. So what?
Early Christians were treated like lepers in Rome.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
ooman4: IMAGINE an Africa without RELIGION, the perfect Africa, the successful Africa

Ok, how do we achieve such?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by wirinet(m): 4:52pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Easy....Easy bro....calm down! cheesy

Humanistic messages not anti-religious.

Also, atheists need not be a majority. All that is needed is to get few intellectuals/power moguls to reason beyond religion.

What if Dbanj tweets "I prefer to love human beings before any religion". It will spread like wildfire but most of his fans will disagree, the few hundreds that will see reason in it will start to think.

The message is what we need.

Are you based in Nigeria

And you think the average nigerian fundamentalist Muslim or Christian can differentiate between a humanist and anti-religious message?

You want D'banj to commit professional suicide. I doubt D'banj is religious, but in Nigeria you have to freign religiously to be accepted politically, professionally or socially, else they would label you illuminati, ogboni or devil worshipper.

I have a secret to reveal, i know a G.O. of a popular church who says he does not believe in hell, heaven or God, but he preaches these same concept every Sunday to his congregation. He is stupendous rich with fleets of cars and houses.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by prairie(f): 4:53pm On Feb 24, 2013
ooman4: IMAGINE an Africa without RELIGION, the perfect Africa, the successful Africa
Boring
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 4:53pm On Feb 24, 2013
prairie: Boring

IGNORED
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 24, 2013
wirinet:

And you think the average nigerian fundamentalist Muslim or Christian can differentiate between a humanist and anti-religious message?

You want D'banj to commit professional suicide. I doubt D'banj is religious, but in Nigeria you have to freign religiously to be accepted politically, professionally or socially, else they would label you illuminati, ogboni or devil worshipper.

I have a secret to reveal, i know a G.O. of a popular church who says he does not believe in hell, heaven or God, but he preaches these same concept every Sunday to his congregation. He is stupendous rich with fleets of cars and houses.

Dbanj has already been labelled illuminati for joining with Kanye West. Ignorant fools will always be ignorant.

We cant play into the whims of ignorant people.

Please read about Leo Igwe- a man who didnt give up on this issue of witch beating after being attcked and has brought the attention of it to many. He must have saved numerous lives with such light on an evil practice.

This is why I say we need a silent revolution. Trust me, have thought about this everyday for a year. I have so many plans. Up till today, no one knows the true origins of the Occup Wall Street movement. However, I dont want protests or riots. Simple spreading of messages anonymously.

Anonymously.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 4:59pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Ok, how do we achieve such?

THE RELIGIOUS NEED OUR HELP, they need us to show them the way, the path to fulfilled life. We need to tell them that fulfillment is not found in a God but in our selves.

WE NEED TO GIVE PEOPLE FREEDOM FROM RELIGION WITHOUT TAKING AWAY THEIR RIGHTS.

We can do this by getting God out of our schools so that children will not be poisoned again from childhood.

WE NEED TO COME OUT AND SHOW PEOPLE OUR SUCCESSES, BY THAT, THEY WE COVET AND BECOME ATHEISTS, SINCE ATHEISTS ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL AFRICANS THAN THEISTS ARE.

We need to proclaim the TRUTH OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT. WE MUST ASSURE PEOPLE THAT HEAVEN AND HELL IS A FAIRY TALE FOR ADULTS. SUCH WORLD CANNOT EXIST. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR CONSCIOUSNESS OUT OF THE MATERIAL STATE AND THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THE SPIRITUAL STATE TOO.

THEN, THE BLACK MAN WILL KNOW SUCCESS, OR THE BEGINNING OF IT

1 Like

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
ooman4:

THE RELIGIOUS NEED OUR HELP, they need us to show them the way, the path to fulfilled life. We need to tell them that fulfillment is not found in a God but in our selves.

WE NEED TO GIVE PEOPLE FREEDOM FROM RELIGION WITHOUT TAKING AWAY THEIR RIGHTS.

We can do this by getting God out of our schools so that children will not be poisoned again from childhood.

WE NEED TO COME OUT AND SHOW PEOPLE OUR SUCCESSES, BY THAT, THEY WE COVET AND BECOME ATHEISTS, SINCE ATHEISTS ARE MORE SUCCESSFUL AFRICANS THAN THEISTS ARE.

We need to proclaim the TRUTH OF THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT. WE MUST ASSURE PEOPLE THAT HEAVEN AND HELL IS A FAIRY TALE FOR ADULTS. SUCH WORLD CANNOT EXIST. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR CONSCIOUSNESS OUT OF THE MATERIAL STATE AND THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THE SPIRITUAL STATE TOO.

THEN, THE BLACK MAN WILL KNOW SUCCESS, OR THE BEGINNING OF IT

That is nice and easy to say- however, how does it work it practice in nigeria?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
@writing.
He he he. I am not surprised about this GO. If if had believed in god, after preaching for some time, he would have realized that it was all smokes and mirrors.
I believe that all pastors,priests and popes are atheists in secret.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: @writing.
He he he. I am not surprised about this GO. If if had believed in god, after preaching for some time, he would have realized that it was all smokes and mirrors.
I believe that all pastors,priests and popes are atheists in secret.

Yes, catholic preists- many are disbelievers.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by mazaje(m): 5:08pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

You do realise that Wirinets first line was false. He attacked a strawman. I am not promoting atheism in that case.

The rest of his comments were not realistic claiming that we should do some carl sagan stuff. Please ask where are are going to find some TV station to start broadcasting such informative/scientiifc videos? Or we should just open a school and start teaching some atheistic philosophy?

You have been out of Nigeria for so long. . .You will understand what he is saying when you get back. . .There is such a thing as being unripe and not yet ready. . .Nigeria as it is right now is NOT yet ready for what you are proposing. . .Atheism is something that comes purely out of education. . .10 years ago if you told me that I will ever be an atheist some day I will just laugh at you and tell you that you are crazy. . .In fact the very first atheist I meet in my life was in London back in 2004. . .I could not even comprehend what he was saying when he was telling me he did not believe in God. . .I was like WHAT shocked. . .How can one not believe in god?. . .To not believe in the existence of god at that time to me was tantamount to not believing that you exist. . .But due to proper education at all levels, I am now where I am. . .The Nigerian society is JUST DIFFERENT. . . It is not ready for now. . .I see atheism as an enlightenment. I actually am not for universal atheism. . .My own is that the theist should allow me be an atheist in peace in Nigeria. . .I just come here to let them know that their beliefs are nothing but beliefs and have nothing to do with the reality around. . .If Nigeria was like Denmark I will never be on the NL religious section.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by ooman4: 5:09pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

That is nice and easy to say- however, how does it work it practice in nigeria?

NOTHING COMES EASY, YOU MUST KNOW THAT
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by mazaje(m): 5:13pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Dont fall my hand. It saddens me when an atheist comes here to troll.

Look at the topic. What advice have you contributed?

LOL!!!. . .You take these things too seriously. . .Knock it off jare. . .
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 5:13pm On Feb 24, 2013
Dp
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by plaetton: 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2013
I have had this crazy idea of opening a prosperity gospel church, taking and recording tithes, offerings, seed sowings,etc. For up to a year, then one day tell them that god is just a game, a psychological blackmail. And then give each one back all their money with bank interests. Lol.
Just to show all how easy it is to deceive with religion.

6 Likes

Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 24, 2013
mazaje:

You have been out of Nigeria for so long. . .You will understand what he is saying when you get back. . .There is such a thing as being unripe and not yet ready. . .Nigeria as it is right now is NOT yet ready for what you are proposing. . .Atheism is something that comes purely out of education. . .10 years ago if you told me that I will ever be an atheist some day I will just laugh at you and tell you that you are crazy. . .In fact the very first atheist I meet in my life was in London back in 2004. . .I could not even comprehend what he was saying when he was telling me he did not believe in God. . .I was like WHAT shocked. . .How can one not believe in god?. . .To not believe in the existence of god at that time to me was tantamount to not believing that you exist. . .But due to proper education at all levels, I am now where I am. . .The Nigerian society is JUST DIFFERENT. . . It is not ready for now. . .I see atheism as an enlightenment. I actually am not for universal atheism. . .My own is that the theist should allow me be an atheist in peace in Nigeria. . .I just come here to let them know that their beliefs are nothing but beliefs and have nothing to do with the reality around. . .If Nigeria was like Denmark I will never be on the NL religious section.

Yes and they said that America was not ready for a black president in 2007

When will Nigeria ever be ready? I am sure that there have been atheists since Tai Solarin/Chinua Achebe/Wole Soyinka's time. Many of them couldnt come out because of this same fear. We have technology and anonymity on our side to beat this fear

What about gathering many numbers on and sending all of them mass texts about the issues with religion? Think outside the box. People dont know how dangerous the mind is. Logicboy's mind is as fecund as ever.

We need to do something.

Watch out for me in lagos. I promise something soon.
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2013
mazaje:

LOL!!!. . .You take these things too seriously. . .Knock it off jare. . .

grin grin grin

This is a serious issue bro. grin
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: I have had this crazy idea of opening a prosperity gospel church, taking and recording tithes, offerings, seed sowings,etc. For up to a year, then one day tell them that god is just a game, a psychological blackmail. And then give each one back all their money with bank interests. Lol.

LMSAO grin grin grin

na die you wan die?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Bella3(f): 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
plaetton: I have had this crazy idea of opening a prosperity gospel church, taking and recording tithes, offerings, seed sowings,etc. For up to a year, then one day tell them that god is just a game, a psychological blackmail. And then give each one back all their money with bank interests. Lol.
nice way to invest, for how many years?
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 24, 2013
BĂ©lla3: nice way to invest, for how many years?

See this one! Na to follow men and money! I'm sure that is why you went to church today1
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by mazaje(m): 5:28pm On Feb 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes and they said that America was not ready for a black president in 2007

When will Nigeria ever be ready? I am sure that there have been atheists since Tai Solarin/Chinua Achebe/Wole Soyinka's time. Many of them couldnt come out because of this same fear. We have technology and anonymity on our side to beat this fear

What about gathering many numbers on and sending all of them mass texts about the issues with religion? Think outside the box. People dont know how dangerous the mind is. Logicboy's mind is as fecund as ever.

We need to do something.

Watch out for me in lagos. I promise something soon.

OK, I wish you the best. . .
Re: Advice Atheists Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 24, 2013
mazaje:

OK, I wish you the best. . .

Why not pray for me? angry

I am not going for a suicide mission now cry

Okay, if you dont believe in me or any of my ideas, so what are you going to do? Just enjoy your atheism in peace? Eh, the easy life?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jihad - Is It Only For Defence? / The Trinity - The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit Explained? / Islam's Paradise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.