Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Buhari Lacks Democratic Mannerisms- Joseph Wayas, Ex Senate President. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Lacks Democratic Mannerisms- Joseph Wayas, Ex Senate President. (716 Views)

Buhari Lacks Clear Cut Direction On How To Govern Nigeria – PDP / Joseph Wayas Celebrates His 74th Birthday Today / Ex-Senate President Joseph Wayas Dumps PDP For APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Lacks Democratic Mannerisms- Joseph Wayas, Ex Senate President. by Nobody: 3:04am On Feb 25, 2013
Second Republic Senate President, Dr. Joseph Wayas, has said the former military Head of State and 2011 presidential candidate for the Congress for Progressive Change, Maj.Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is not the right man to champion the cause of democracy in the country.

Wayas, who said this while speaking on Liberty FM, Kaduna radio programme, ‘Guest of the Week,’ monitored in Kaduna, on Saturday added that he had nothing personal against the former military ruler.

He however argued that he (Buhari) and colleagues dethroned a democractically elected government in 1984 in a coup-de-tat.

He added that Buhari’s action had set the country several years backwards in terms of development.

The former Senate President, who spoke on other sundry issues, said, “I have nothing personal against Gen. Buhari, but I cannot equally reconcile certain things in my mind. For instance, is Buhari the man to champion democracy? That is the question I ask myself, and I will answer it and say ‘no,’ because he dethroned democracy for a military dictatorship. After doing that, how sincerely will I count on him? This is not the place for one to say everything.

“I am very serious, and without painting anybody black, I believe that certain people played certain roles. He is not the only military man; there are others, and they have not come out to tell us that they want to champion democracy. I believe that he is carrying something in him that cannot make him a champion of democracy.

“The action of the military to sack democracy then took Nigeria back many years, I don’t really know their reason because I have yet to see any of us that were the pioneer leaders then flaunt any serious wealth today.”

On corruption, he said, “I am aware that these foreign powers are always using this corruption story on African leaders to blackmail young nations to paint things bad, might not necessarily be as bad as they are saying. I sympathise with Nigerians on the issue of corruption.

“I don’t like corruption whatsoever, but we have to be very careful how we work because it is not everything that is corruption.”

On President Goodluck Jonathan and his ambition for 2015 election, the former Senate President said, “I have nothing against the president, he knows that I have played a leading role right from the beginning; from a lecturer to deputy governor and from there to the Presidency.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/why-buhari-cant-champion-democracy-wayas/
Re: Buhari Lacks Democratic Mannerisms- Joseph Wayas, Ex Senate President. by Burger01(m): 6:36am On Feb 25, 2013
Dr. Wayas, please tell him once again... Sai Buhari, you din hear?.. You are not the right man to champion the cause of democracy in Naija..plus sir, you are not stable and you talk with both sides of your mouth.. Politics no be sugar cane affairs.. With due respect..

(1) (Reply)

The Unseen Implication Of Amnesty To Boko Haram / Oshiomhole Warns Igbinedion: We Will Bring You To Justice / Jonathan Paid $40mi To Israeli Company To Monitor Nigerian Internet Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.