Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors (11922 Views)

FG To Empower 1,000 Youths In ICT / PDP Senators Kick As Buhari Fails To Submit List Of Ministers - Vanguard / It Was Sacrilegious For APC Governors To Boycott Ooni’s Burial – Afenifere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 3:13am On Feb 25, 2013
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan appears to have devised a strategy for freeing himself from the clutches of governors hostile to his 2015 ambition, especially those from the states ruled by the Peoples Democratic Party.

At the centre of this strategy, The PUNCH learnt, was a plan to empower ministers against the chief executives of their home states and create alternative power base from which Jonathan could tap for his second term ambition in 2015.

The ministers that would readily benefit from this presidential empowerment, as already discussed and decided on by members of the President’s kitchen cabinet, are those from states whose governors have been seen as antagonistic to Jonathan’s 2015 ambition.

The revelation came even as the Nigerian Governors’ Forum holds its election on Monday (today) in Abuja.

Though President Goodluck Jonathan said on Sunday that it had no interest in the governors’ forum elections, there were indications that the Presidency would put the poll under close watch.

Beyond merely electing who replaces Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi as the chairman of the forum, analysts say the NGF poll will pinpoint the direction of the 2015 poll, especially within the Peoples Democratic Party.

Amaechi is regarded in the circle of Jonathan as not a fan of the President. There is said to be an underground campaign to ensure that Amaechi is not returned whereas the majority of the governors are said to be in support of retaining the Rivers State governor.

Not included in this majority of supporters for Amaechi are governors Godswill Akpabio, Henry Dickson and Ibrahim Shema of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Katsina states respectively.

Investigations have, however, shown that Jonathan would use Monday’s election to measure the loyalty of the governors.

“If the NGF election today does not go the way that will inspire confidence in the loyalty of the governors, the Presidency has a ‘Plan B’ option to fall back to,” a source who claimed to be privy to the ‘empower the ministers’ strategy confided in one of our correspondents on Sunday.

The source said that the President had decided to sidetrack the unfriendly governors and use the ministers to mobilise support from such states.

When the strategy begins to unfold, the ministers would be the one to nominate candidates from their states to be appointed to boards at the federal level.

Apart from that, the ministers would also be allowed to appoint what the source called “a point man” at each local government.

The source said, “The Presidency has decided to strengthen the ministers in states where the governors are not favourably disposed to the second term ambition of the President.

“The need to have this was discussed at a recent meeting the President had with his close aides.

“The President is worried that the governors, even though some of them are from his party, are not working with him on the need for the party to win the 2015 presidential election.

“So, we have decided to make the ministers his point men in the affected states and also allow the ministers have representatives at each of the local governments in their states.”

He also said that the President might appoint more politicians into his cabinet anytime he decides to effect a change among the ministers.

“He says he needs PDP-carrying members in some strategic states to enable such ministers carry party members along and also allow PDP members in the states to have a feel of his government,” the source added.

Sources say that the sin of Amaechi, who is a contestant in today’s election of the NGF, is that he is seen as not supporting the second term ambition of Jonathan, a fellow South-South person. The Rivers governor is alleged to be planning to run as vice presidential candidate to another incumbent governor from the north.

Amaechi has denied the speculation on many occasions but his traducers are not convinced.

The governors started arriving Abuja on Sunday for the election scheduled to hold at the Rivers State Lodge.

Jonathan’s Special Adviser on Political Matters, Ahmed Gulak, in an exclusive interview with one of our correspondents in Abuja on Sunday said the President did not have interest in who becomes the forum’s chairman because the group is not a constitutional organ.

He said members were free to decide who lead them once the tenure of the incumbent ends.

He said, “President Goodluck Jonathan does not have anything to do with who is or who becomes the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum.

“The group is not a constitutional organ, though members have constitutional rights of freedom of association.

“The President has nothing to do with who is the chairman. He is not interested in who leads them because all the governors are his political associates.

“He can’t dictate who gets what in the forum. Once the tenure of the chairman ends, members are free to put anybody there.

“Before, the chairman was Sam Egwu, later it was Adamu Abdullahi and later Bukola Saraki. The Presidency has nothing to do with it.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-jonathan-to-empower-ministers-against-govs/
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by otokx(m): 7:04am On Feb 25, 2013
Goodluck is surely learning fast.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by ebamma(m): 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
.PDP is my party i shall not
want,he makes me to lie
down in aso rock
mansion,he leads me to
the post of president,he
restoreth my shoe ,he
leads me in the paths of
lootingness for his names
sake.
Yea Though i walk
through the roads of
borno state,i shall fear no
evil,for soldiers and
policemen are with
me,their guns and their
bombs the comfort me
The prepared a bank
account before me,in the
presence of my
enemies,the anoint my
account with bribes,my
balance runs over
Surely Patience and her
english shall follow me,all
the days of my life,and i
shall dwell in my house in
bayelsa forever and ever
Amen.

26 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Ganys: 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2013
Is this transformation or the breathe of Fresh Air You promised to Give. I cant even imagine that this man was once a common man like us...Its unfair how power changes a once shoeless Kid angry angry angry
Jonathan, Im sure your over-fed robot looking son at the Villa has plenty of designer shoes, But Do you know what future hold for him too, Jona! jona! JONA!, Dont play God, it takes Him Miliseconds to make your entire generation as shoeless as they were decades ago. Pls, leave 2015 politics and focus on the well being of Nigerian who gave you and Your Gabage looking pikin New Shoes undecided undecided undecided

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Moukafoam(f): 2:38pm On Feb 25, 2013
2iic: PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan appears to have devised a strategy for freeing himself from the clutches of governors hostile to his 2015 ambition, especially those from the states ruled by the Peoples Democratic Party.

At the centre of this strategy, The PUNCH learnt, was a plan to empower ministers against the chief executives of their home states and create alternative power base from which Jonathan could tap for his second term ambition in 2015.

The ministers that would readily benefit from this presidential empowerment, as already discussed and decided on by members of the President’s kitchen cabinet, are those from states whose governors have been seen as antagonistic to Jonathan’s 2015 ambition.

The revelation came even as the Nigerian Governors’ Forum holds its election on Monday (today) in Abuja.

Though President Goodluck Jonathan said on Sunday that it had no interest in the governors’ forum elections, there were indications that the Presidency would put the poll under close watch.

Beyond merely electing who replaces Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi as the chairman of the forum, analysts say the NGF poll will pinpoint the direction of the 2015 poll, especially within the Peoples Democratic Party.

Amaechi is regarded in the circle of Jonathan as not a fan of the President. There is said to be an underground campaign to ensure that Amaechi is not returned whereas the majority of the governors are said to be in support of retaining the Rivers State governor.

Not included in this majority of supporters for Amaechi are governors Godswill Akpabio, Henry Dickson and Ibrahim Shema of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Katsina states respectively.

Investigations have, however, shown that Jonathan would use Monday’s election to measure the loyalty of the governors.

“If the NGF election today does not go the way that will inspire confidence in the loyalty of the governors, the Presidency has a ‘Plan B’ option to fall back to,” a source who claimed to be privy to the ‘empower the ministers’ strategy confided in one of our correspondents on Sunday.

The source said that the President had decided to sidetrack the unfriendly governors and use the ministers to mobilise support from such states.

When the strategy begins to unfold, the ministers would be the one to nominate candidates from their states to be appointed to boards at the federal level.

Apart from that, the ministers would also be allowed to appoint what the source called “a point man” at each local government.

The source said, “The Presidency has decided to strengthen the ministers in states where the governors are not favourably disposed to the second term ambition of the President.

“The need to have this was discussed at a recent meeting the President had with his close aides.

“The President is worried that the governors, even though some of them are from his party, are not working with him on the need for the party to win the 2015 presidential election.

“So, we have decided to make the ministers his point men in the affected states and also allow the ministers have representatives at each of the local governments in their states.”

He also said that the President might appoint more politicians into his cabinet anytime he decides to effect a change among the ministers.

“He says he needs PDP-carrying members in some strategic states to enable such ministers carry party members along and also allow PDP members in the states to have a feel of his government,” the source added.

Sources say that the sin of Amaechi, who is a contestant in today’s election of the NGF, is that he is seen as not supporting the second term ambition of Jonathan, a fellow South-South person. The Rivers governor is alleged to be planning to run as vice presidential candidate to another incumbent governor from the north.

Amaechi has denied the speculation on many occasions but his traducers are not convinced.

The governors started arriving Abuja on Sunday for the election scheduled to hold at the Rivers State Lodge.

Jonathan’s Special Adviser on Political Matters, Ahmed Gulak, in an exclusive interview with one of our correspondents in Abuja on Sunday said the President did not have interest in who becomes the forum’s chairman because the group is not a constitutional organ.

He said members were free to decide who lead them once the tenure of the incumbent ends.

He said, “President Goodluck Jonathan does not have anything to do with who is or who becomes the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum.

“The group is not a constitutional organ, though members have constitutional rights of freedom of association.

“The President has nothing to do with who is the chairman. He is not interested in who leads them because all the governors are his political associates.

“He can’t dictate who gets what in the forum. Once the tenure of the chairman ends, members are free to put anybody there.

“Before, the chairman was Sam Egwu, later it was Adamu Abdullahi and later Bukola Saraki. The Presidency has nothing to do with it.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/2015-jonathan-to-empower-ministers-against-govs/

Yawn! Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† did I miss? grin

Nigeria is going from baaaad to woooorst cool
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by THEPOLY11: 2:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
We need to pray fast for 2015, before everything will become do or die affair.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by BlackPeni5: 2:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
OK...
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by JLANCE(m): 2:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
Moukafoam:

Yawn! Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† did miss? grin
Dem go so ban u
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Loonyy(m): 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
action film!
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
when will Nigeria get a good leader who cares about his people! Not just power drunk megalomaniacs and cleptomaniacs scrambling for our national treasure
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by ebamma(m): 2:42pm On Feb 25, 2013
Moukafoam:

you know she is a fool when she quotes a whole topic, just to yawn in reply, and to add insult to injury with bad grammar

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by mrofficial2(m): 2:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
Space reserved.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
Moukafoam:

you didn't have to quote such a long passage
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
How can a non-elected government official have authority over one who was elected?

Is this a democracy at all? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Symphony007: 2:46pm On Feb 25, 2013
This plan will blow up right in the face of the president because no federal minister can compare to a state governour in terms of support, popularity or even organisation, people don't know this but governours has more power over their state than the president over the country. The national assembly will always challenge the president but state governours have successfull turned state assemblies to puppets.. So the president had better be frendly with this gov's rather than ploting against them and futher disintegrating his party that is already dividing rapidly.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by oddy4real(m): 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
Oya, dis is an avenue to yab GEJ. Start!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by tomakint: 2:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
Jonathan may find those governors as hard nuts to crack, hence his new move! Well, I see PDP finally imploding on the longrun (this is in line with my predictions about a One Party state) and may spread to other parties, no empire lasts forever,I think Jonathan needs those governors more if he is willing to clinch the 'Chalice' come 2015! Just my thought undecided
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by ebamma(m): 2:48pm On Feb 25, 2013
Legit1: How can a non-elected government official have more authority over one who was elected?

Is this a democracy at all? undecided
guy this isn't a democracy, its Themarecrazy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by ebamma(m): 2:49pm On Feb 25, 2013
oddy4real: Oya, dis is an avebue to yab GEJ. Start!
english don suffer
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2013
Setting the dogs against lions.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2013
otokx: Goodluck is surely learning fast.

His END is imminent, he should forget about 2015.

All of these moves are geared towards presidential ambition which has been made known!

If it was for the welfare and thorough see through by hands on federal appointees of FG developments in their locales, that would have been sell able but still not guaranteed to be plausible.

The former, is neither both!.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by OluEmmaAss: 2:53pm On Feb 25, 2013
I pray the plan fails.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by condralbede(m): 2:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
Its d time to set d stone rolling.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by DeCleff(m): 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2013
Jonathan don't forget so soon that Gov. Ameachi conquered his state and gave u the highest vote in the federation.

Do not forget so soon how OBJ and Odili did everything to stop Ameachi from being the governor of Rivers State but he defeated them openly.

If u are fighting the hands that worked tirelessly to lift u up then the reverse will be the case.

Gov. Ameachi remains bold & fearless.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 25, 2013
Hmmmmm. Ministers above Governors?. Let him start with T.A Orji that's if this ministers won't be worse than governors.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by ojuu4u(m): 3:15pm On Feb 25, 2013
"to fall back on" and not to fall back to
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by okoqueen: 3:15pm On Feb 25, 2013
Jonathan has shown dat he is a novice when it comes to politics. CHASE THEM WITH EFCC

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Burger01(m): 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2013
**yawns, shut down system**
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by lacasa: 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2013
He should forget most of the North except maybe Plateau, Benue n Taraba states cos GEJj comes a far 2nd to Buhari in majority of the northern States.

The South/south is his core base (negligible).

The South/east will sell their votes to him as well (expected).

The South/west will tilt the divide in 2015..(Will. Tinibu n co divert the votes to GEJ like it did in 2011?? Or will the merger of ACN & co into - APC, win the South/west??)..

#... One thing is for sure, GEJ is going to run in 2015 anϑ will as sure as hell connive wt INEC to rig the elections as always, ​ so ​, it is all on the other parties anϑ nigerians to counter anϑ stop the rigging culture in Nigeria, or condemn the country to another 4years of PDP in power,

Either way, there should be no complaints nor excuses after 2015 from any sector if the latter happens
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Burger01(m): 3:25pm On Feb 25, 2013
Seun.A.Plonker:
Space reserved.
grin grin grin grin cheesy...only on NL.

Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by Nobody: 3:27pm On Feb 25, 2013
all these things will lead to a beautiful 2015.
Re: Jonathan To Empower Ministers Against Governors by thaoriginator: 3:35pm On Feb 25, 2013
Against 2015 abi? Ok we're watching o!

Check out this thread www.nairaland.com/1207065/introducing-quick-smart-program-online

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Holds 76th NEC Meeting / Fuel Scarcity: Panic Buying In Lagos, Abuja / Buhari Behind SSS’ Invasion Of Ekiti Assembly – Lawmakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.