Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,630 members, 7,958,874 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:23 AM

Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me (1460 Views)

Explain Hajj To Your Kids (info-graph) / Qualities Of A Good Muslim Husband / Can Any Peace Loving Muslims Out There Explain This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by Nobody: 11:15am On Feb 25, 2013
5:51

O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.
Because i live in dubai and have many muslim friends who like me
we try not to discuss religion.
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by akorlade(m): 11:20am On Feb 25, 2013
Scholars we are waiting. Little wonder all the skirmish we are witnessing, a prophetic backing.
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 25, 2013
no one is coming. angry angry angry angry
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by justaqad(m): 5:34pm On Feb 25, 2013
the quran does not forbid Muslims t be friends with non-muslims.islam teaches us that we should be friendly to all people,islam also encourages us t dea justly and fairly with our enemies.in the beginning of the same chapter Allah Says..
[O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah as witnesses to fair dealings and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just, that is next to piety. Fear Allah, indeed Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.] (Al-Ma’dah 5:8.)
Moreover, Allah Almighty has described Prophet Muhammad as "a mercy" to the worlds. He was kind to the pagans of Makkah and fought them only when they fought him. He made treaties with the Jews of Madinah and honored the treaties until they broke them.
In the verse you quoted, the word "Awliya" is used. It is a plural and its singular is "wali". The correct translation of the word ""wali"" is not "friend" but it is someone who is very close and intimate. It is also used to mean "guardian, protector, patron, lord and master".

In the Qur'an this word is used for God, such as [Allah is the Protector (or Lord and Master) of those who believe. He takes them out from the depths of darkness to light…] (Al- Baqarah 2: 257)
The correct translation of the verse in Surat Al-Ma’idah is: [O you who believe! Do not take Jews and Christians as your patrons. They are patrons of their own people. He among you who will turn to them for patronage is one of them. Verily Allah guides not a people unjust.] (Al-Ma'dah 5: 51)
hope this will clear your misconception?

1 Like

Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by tbaba1234: 5:43pm On Feb 25, 2013
The Quran says muslims should not take jews,and christians as 'auliya' .

What does auliya mean? In what context was the revelation given? How come the companions of the prophet had jewish and christian friends??

There are many words for friends in Arabic language, depending on the kind of friendship, the people enjoy...

i. Auliya relates to a 'protecting friend'.... Like a father is an auliya to his son. Allah is the Auliya to the believers....

So what does this mean?

i.) The muslims were in a state of war but they had friends who remained jews or christians. Some of these friends did not like the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him)and supported for the other size: The mushrik of mecca.

If the relationship between the two friends was one whereby the Non-muslim was an auliya or a wali to the muslim... It means the muslim depends on him for protection and tells him everything, this could include military strategies.. etc.. A Non-muslim friend with loyalties elsewhere can divulge this kind of information to the other side

So even though the muslims maintained cordial relationships with their Jewish and christian friends, It was not the kind of relationship, where the non muslim was an wali or auliya to the muslim.

3 Likes

Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by DevotedOne(m): 4:01pm On Feb 26, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim. As salaamu alaykum. Ya Nabi; Blessing of Allah be upon Muhammad [and his Ahlul-Bayt.]

A patron, can be described as a protector. A patron saint, is a saint to whose protection and intercession, a person expects.

However, Allaah; Blessed Is HE, Forevermore, Is The Only Protector.

Wassalaam. DevotedOne

1 Like

Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by Zhulfiqar1: 5:11pm On Feb 26, 2013
@tbaba

What does the below verse means to you,and what does the highlighted part means?

Quran 5:55-the Verse of Wilayah

"Only Allah is your Wali and His Messenger and those who believe and keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow".

Note: "Wali" is the singular of "awliyaa".it can mean friend,protector,guardian and MASTER.
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by Nobody: 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2013
I like Tbaba and how he tries to be diplomatic in his posts rather than patronizing like you-know-who. I really wish many muslims see things this way. Unfortunately many muslims take the jews and christians just like in the verse the op quoted.
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by aurenflani: 11:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
illitrate: 5:51

O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

Do construe meaning to Allah's word out of context. Ask for the historical circumstances this verse was revealed on. If you are sincere it won't be any difficult for you getting the answer.
Re: Please Let A Good Muslim Explain This Quran Chapter To Me by aurenflani: 11:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
illitrate: 5:51

Do not construe meaning to Allah's word out of context. Ask for the historical circumstances this verse was revealed on. If you are sincere it won't be any difficult for you getting the answer.

(1) (Reply)

Quran 41:53: Fiction Or Reality? / Funeral Janazah Prayer,s To Say During Salatul Ghaib. / Radicalism Loading In The South West ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.