Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,962 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School (20530 Views)

Woman Strips Her 9-Year-Old Son For Stealing N5000 In Delta (Photo) / How To Tell If Your Child Is Being Bullied. / Is It Proper To Advice Children To Fight Back If They're Being Bullied? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by promisengr(m): 3:47pm On Feb 25, 2013
Please i dont knw if this the right forum for this type of news,if itz nt, the mods should pls send it to the right on. I came across it and i felt like sharing it.

The devastated family of a nine-year-old boy who hanged himself say he took his life after racist taunts by Asian bullies.
Aaron Dugmore - thought to be one of Britain's youngest suicides after bullying - was found in his bedroom after months of jibes at school, they claim.
His family say that Aaron was threatened with a plastic KNIFE by one Asian pupil - who warned him: "Next time it will be a real one."
But despite complaints to the school, where 75 per cent of pupils come from ethnic backgrounds, they claim nothing was done to stop the bullying.
Heartbroken mum Kelly-Marie Dugmore is convinced the taunts led to her son killing himself two weeks ago. She sobbed: "We are not racist people. Aaron got on with all the children at his last school, and for him to have been bullied because of the colour of his skin makes me feel sick to my stomach."
Aaron joined Erdington Hall primary in Birmingham last September after the family moved nearby. But Kelly-Marie, 30, and stepdad Paul Jones, 43, noticed a change in him from his first day.
Paul said: "He became argumentative with his brothers and sisters, which wasn't like him at all. Eventually he told us that he was being bullied by a group of Asian children at school and had to hide from them in the playground at lunchtime. He said one kid even said to him, 'My dad says all the white people should be dead'."
Kelly-Marie claimed: "He was even threatened with a plastic knife by one boy. When Aaron stuck up for himself he said it'd be a real one next time.
"I went to see head Martin Collin a few times, but he only said, 'You didn't have to come to this school, you chose to come here'."
A spokesman for Erdington Hall, labelled unsatisfactory by Ofsted, said Aaron had "settled in quickly". West Midlands Police are investigating the causes of Aaron's death.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 25, 2013

6 Likes

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 25, 2013
chaircover: This is where I am different o! you mess with my kid and I kill you full stop!

Yup!
My eldest asked if she could watch Teletoon cos our neighbour's kid watches it, that was the day I locked that channel for good.
Bullying is terrible... Got zero tolerance for it.

How are you @cc( with puppy face)
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 5:35pm On Feb 25, 2013
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 25, 2013
chaircover:

naughty girl angry

I accept.. I'm sorry and trying my best kiss ( hugs forcefully)
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 25, 2013
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by greatgod2012(f): 8:01pm On Feb 25, 2013
This is soooooo soooooo sad!
And this is a big lesson for all of us, both young and old.....no two individuals are d same, d rate at which we absorb issues differ, when some pple are bullied, they bounce back to d bully with full, fuller and fullest force, that even d first bully will regret ever bullying them, while, some cant absorb at all, you bully them, they start thinking of how to permanently avoid you, either by taking their lives or by totally avoiding having anything to do with d bully.........that is what psychologists call....individual differences.
And since we might not know d type of person we are dealing with, whether strong willed or weak willed, its advisable to try and avoid bullying our fellow human beings, because, we might just get more than what we bargained for, just like this case.
May God help us all.
May d soul of d departed rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by EfemenaXY: 1:38am On Feb 26, 2013
Poor kid! His young life cut short at just 9! cry cry

(Sigh)...His parents were 'spot on' in noticing the change in him from day 1. Question is: How long did the bullying go on for, before they reported the matter to the head? sad

I personally think they could have done more. Nip it in the bud, right from the word 'GO'. If indeed that was the head's reaction when this began, then the parents should have withdrawn their son from the school with immediate effect! Home school him till they get a better school of their choice. For goodness sake, how hard can it be to home school a primary school pupil?

CC, I understand your feelings about this but c'mon sis, na UK we dey. You can't do half of those things you mentioned without getting done for it...i.e: harrassment, taking the law into your hands, or even 1st/2nd level assault and all that $h!t for knocking some sense into the bully little $h!t head / twerp.

At times like this, person go dey miss Naija. Mtcheew!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 7:41am On Feb 26, 2013
chaircover: This is where I am different o! you mess with my kid and I kill you full stop!

Madam cc,
You know this is easy to say but not possible in real life. As I always say no one can predict their reaction to any situation until it happens in real life and we do not pray for such even on our worse enemies.
As any parent knows no two children are the same even twins.
Children react to bullying in different ways-some might fight back,while some become afraid to go to school,while some become sully,and withdrawn and in extreme cases even contemplate sucide. Some can even steal guns and shoot up the whole school.
We need to teach our kids from tender ages that it is a cold and harsh world out there and that in the course of this life they will meet all sorts of difficulties. We need to let them know they need to man up and face these demons. We need to teach them that sucide is not the answer.

2 Likes

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 26, 2013

6 Likes

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by taryour(f): 11:15am On Feb 26, 2013
Oga o, some parents are just so sluggish in action. If it where to b my kid that was bullied,I have no business with the school authorities o. I will go straight to meet that bully of a child and warn him or her seriously. Make she or he go report me to the parents then we go iron am out parent vs parent. And if that pikin no stop,I wunt tell my child to bully back o but personaly go to that skul and beat the child then the parent go know scores and know say business na for real oo.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
Has anyone seen this new movie? This is 40( pls check it out , parents only wink) if a white parent can do that that then I believe it's allowed and besides what do I care, it's a kid's self esteem/ life we are talking about here.

@cc, I agree with you, any loser kid that attempt to bully/ intimidate my kid? My hair strands becomes static, first of all, parents should be involved fully in kids life and that involves the Dad too , create an open line of communication.

( there are other multiple ways to discipline a kid besides whacking,a kid you whack every-time will never ever trust you or your judgement)
Times have changed from our parents day & age.

When we pick up my daughter from school everyday, first series of questions are; how her day went, what did she do, is anybody mean to her today ( she's the only Afro in school & playing coy will be very foolish &naive of us).

There was a time a girl in her class bugs her everytime, this girl formed her own circle of friends and excluded my daughter, so that day I picked her up, she looked very worried and asked her , she told me the story and I turned back right away that same day and talked to both the class teachers (2) & the principal with my hands shaking, I'm sure they were both terrified to see my mood cos I honestly was close to knock somebody out! the classroom seating arrangement was changed the following day,
now this same girl won't let my daughter rest with calls and I always overheard ( cos her phone must be on speaker phone when she converses) the girl begging for a play date and my daughter says no everytime undecided

I will forfeit my clean record and go to jail as a result of knocking out a minor who dare make my kids life miserable.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by MadCow1: 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2013
Chei Ya!!!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Wendyslim(f): 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2013
So sad, wen ur kids are alone in d room for more dan 5 mins pls always check on dem cos a minute earlier may have saved his life.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by tony1980: 2:57pm On Feb 26, 2013
This is very unfortunate.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by greall1: 2:58pm On Feb 26, 2013
Poor boy R I P.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by olamega(m): 2:59pm On Feb 26, 2013
This is serious,but I believe the poor boy is under some bad influence
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by NEROSKY(m): 2:59pm On Feb 26, 2013
In life many things are involved

1 Like

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by freecocoa(f): 3:01pm On Feb 26, 2013
9 years? Like seriously? shocked

I'm speechless.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by obi123: 3:02pm On Feb 26, 2013
chaircover: You know, yesterday after reading this story, I called my daughter and spoke to her, asked her if she was happy, asked her if anyone called her names, asked her if she loved school etc. . .I know the answers but I didnt want to assume. My daughter is 9, the same age as this poor little boy who committed suicide. she looked at me funny and said yes.

Once again I told her that she can tell me and her dad anything, no matter how difficult it was for her. She nodded her head and looked so cute in her lamb onesie lol.

As to how a parent reacts . . . the parent is responsible for their kids wellbeing until the kid is old enough to fight their own battles. My first instinct is to protect my children. I am guilty of cotton wool wrapping but that is the way I am with them.

when she first started school, there was this very boisterous naughty kid who kept on hurting the other kids. we spoke to the teacher about it twice and the teacher said that they were dealing with it and still watching the child to know the next step to take. The next day I went up to the childs mother at the school gates and explained to her in front of her kid on how her kid had been hurting my child. She apologized and told her kid off in front of us. When we got home, I told my daughter to tell him that either I or her big brother will wallop him if he ever comes near her again and that was it. he stayed clear.

I dont do oyibno when it comes to my kids. . . how many do I have sef?

honestly i personally will go incredible hulk on anyone who tries to frustrate my child's life
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by obi123: 3:05pm On Feb 26, 2013
jidegirl12: Has anyone seen this new movie? This is 40( pls check it out , parents only wink) if a white parent can do that that then I believe it's allowed and besides what do I care, it's a kid's self esteem/ life we are talking about here.

@cc, I agree with you, any loser kid that attempt to bully/ intimidate my kid? My hair strands becomes static, first of all, parents should be involved fully in kids life and that involves the Dad too , create an open line of communication.

( there are other multiple ways to discipline a kid besides whacking,a kid you whack every-time will never ever trust you or your judgement)
Times have changed from our parents day & age.

When we pick up my daughter from school everyday, first series of questions are; how her day went, what did she do, is anybody mean to her today ( she's the only Afro in school & playing coy will be very foolish &naive of us).

There was a time a girl in her class bugs her everytime, this girl formed her own circle of friends and excluded my daughter, so that day I picked her up, she looked very worried and asked her , she told me the story and I turned back right away that same day and talked to both the class teachers (2) & the principal with my hands shaking, I'm sure they were both terrified to see my mood cos I honestly was close to knock somebody out! the classroom seating arrangement was changed the following day,
now this same girl won't let my daughter rest with calls and I always overheard ( cos her phone must be on speaker phone when she converses) the girl begging for a play date and my daughter says no everytime undecided

I will forfeit my clean record and go to jail as a result of knocking out a minor who dare make my kids life miserable.

WORD!!!!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by licensed2k(m): 3:06pm On Feb 26, 2013
Thats why it pays to be a nigerian.
In baba fela's voice
*suffering and smiling...*
and by the way, shouldnt there be a law that ought to ban some dum.b ppl from quoting the entirety of a very long post?

1 Like

Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by dbride: 3:11pm On Feb 26, 2013
@jidegirl12...I will forfeit my clean record and go to jail as a result of knocking out a minor who dares make my kids life miserable.

So you can protect or defend or fight for your kids when you are in jail. You just blabbed without wisdom. How old are you BTW? Must you comment and if you must, think b4 you speak or write. Your type will kill b4 you reason...dangerous.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by ROCKY10: 3:12pm On Feb 26, 2013
So So sad!Remember every child is your child so let's continue praying for our children and for the young soul, may God rest him in peace!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Sweetapple007(f): 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2013
Na death dey hungry de pikin.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2013
#Train your child to also grow up some balls. You can't be there for them at all times.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by TableLeg(m): 3:17pm On Feb 26, 2013
TRAGIC!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2013
I am not going to raise a bully neither am i going to raise a victim. When my daughter was 3 she used to complain about this other kid called that used to call her poopo face. For some reason, she'd tell me in the morning when I am bathing her. So one day, I said to her if Lucy calls you poopoo face again, tell her to stop and that you don't like it. If she does not, call her smelly face, yucky face, terrible face and scream as loudly as you can.

Suffice to say Lucy became one of my daughters best friends to this day. I don't have time for bullies, I will always encourage my kid to fight back and if they can't fight back, the school will hear from me and it won't be pleasant. The world is not a nice place!!!
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by eduson33(m): 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2013
the best way to deal with bully by chichi igbo..fullstop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK5Ut2S24P4&list=UUDOspjiYaqatYiBcZTAPEQw
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by angelz(f): 3:38pm On Feb 26, 2013
The best thing is to train ur kids to grow real balls.
bullies prey on their weaknesses. l kno its not easy, after all we were ones kids, n kno how it feels
to be left out or treated as if u r odd.
If its sth u av 2 b doin evryday, jus as u train for sth, do it.
When u tell dem daily how react to bullies, am sure it will stick.
When l mean reactn to bullies, it doesnt have 2 b physical. Words can do magic.
That doesnt mean that d parent shuld not approach d sch authorities.
Re: 9-year-old Boy Commits Suicide After Being Bullied At School by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 26, 2013
this can happen in naija.. Boys go arrange those bullys sharply...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Highest Level Of Irresponsibilty As An Adult? / Who Will You Take Sides With, Me Or My Wife? / How To Cut Down Excessive Spending These Festive Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.