Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Prisoners Of War - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Prisoners Of War (38955 Views)

We Are Able (THUG OF WAR) / Woman Of War --- A Story By Miss_fibre / Prisoner Of War - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2013
Mynd_44: Those colors ain't cute bro.....not one bit
Hmmm.
The colors!
I just thought it wise to make a distinction between updated stories and regular comments. undecided
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:32am On Jun 26, 2013
The journey to the great Aro kingdom was an all morning journey involving a trolley cart which was used by only rich and influential men from powerful kingdoms.
Mbiaka with the aid of her mother had borrowed one from her uncle with on the grounds that her husband was seriously ill.
Her mother didn't hesistate to help her only daughter borrow one from her rich brother, who was one of the lawmakers of the confederacy. Even if she knew it would be a tough decision to go by, but she have to do it to make her daughter happy.
At first, the old wealthy man was reluctant to give it out the highly valued cart to her because he was not sure of its security, but later gave in to her pleas, but gave her one of his guards to drive her back home on the cart. Mbiaka was very thankful, she had always thirst to ride on that lovely five feet long and four feet wide wooden cart dragged all over by a well fed bull, that was why she used the stance of her husband's illness to cunningly take a ride on what she had envy her uncle's family for. Her uncle was one of very few men in Aro who had this cart and it was something too precious to be used or given out anyhow. Mbiaka could have done without this, they had plan to help Madueke to use the road, no matter how slow, to Aro.
The young gentleman drove her all the way to Agbu-Ukwu, and on their way, there was stampede in the villages where they passed. A gridlock of villagers who served as awed spectators who were on the run, wondering what creature or maybe object embroidered in such way to take people around on a journey without stress. Children and a good number of adults have heard stories of the existence of this cart, used by powerful men from Aro but haven't seen one with their näked eyes. They suspected the person who was inside unseen to be one of the opulent elite men of Aro, who knows what they were looking for. People swept and cleared the road paving passage for the beast of burden. Trust Mbiaka, she would want the world to know how important she was, she moved her hands to open the small window of the cart, but the guard with her in the inn, dismissed her intention while they proceed. Mbiaka felt bitter about this but tried to keep it unnoticed. They soon got to her home and the whole compound was soon filled with spectators in and out of the village. Some left their villages and traced the cart to its destination, but were surprised that it was a woman with someone who seems to be a guard that descended the cart.
Like it was expected to be, all members of Madueke families jostled to get a space in the vehicle, almost neglecting the sick man who was the reason for the appearance of this rare object. But their self-pride wouldn't allow them, both old and young were all vying for a seat in the royal cart, so that the guards couldn't curb the belligerent struggle.
Gbosaaa! the cart was down in pieces, the roof and the left window were badly damaged. The furious guards did all their best fixing the amendable parts and then zoomed off with anger not minding who was on their way.
It now dawned on them how foolish they had been because of a cart which they all wanted to ride on.
They've now learnt their lesson the harder way.

Meanwhile Ozo Achuka, the owner of the cart, was burning red in anger, seeing his much valued cart damaged to that extent. He blasted the guards with words, while they tried to explain the turn out of things.

"They were so many that they overpowered us" they pleaded.

"Wouldn't you have done the wise thing instead by coming back immediately than having them destroy my much valued and expensive cart." he grew hotter in fury.

"My lord, we're sorry and it will never happen again."

"Do I blame you? Isn't it I for being so kind to help an only sister, that is to be blamed? Now this is the reward i got for my generousity." he bit his lips. He would never in the world, here any plea even from the gods to give out his cart again.

The sacred shrine of that powerful spiritualist who had been the talk of the town of lately was situated in Aro, where have always been the top destination for consultation and healing. He was named Agumba because he was versatile, he was good in administering drugs and herbs, and also in divination and fortune telling. There had never been a man of this kind before in the history of Aro.
Agumba had told tales of himself, when some top elites of the confederacy had come to make enquiries. He had told them that he wasn't born of a woman but was created in the evil forest by the gods, whom had sent him on a special duty. They thus believed and welcomed him to their land with open arms, they felt honoured that their land had been the top choice for the gods to send their messenger. Agumba had done many wonders, curing madmen, blind, lame and sick, people were amazed at his powers. His influence grew past Aro land to other villages, far and wide. And sooner, he was touring from village to village doing what he knows best. Many other spiritualists saw him as a pain to their skin, because he had always won the praise of all villagers and have been endorsed to be the true mouthpiece of the gods. Too bad for the envious spiritualists that they didn't have power to render Agumba's power futile, they didn't even give a try because it might be disastrous to them. His influence grew even bigger.

Madueke's family had also heard about him, so they made out a day to journey to his shrine at Aro, what would have been made easier if not for their indiscipline and lack of self-control.
All of them embarked on the journey except Akwanwa and Mbiaka with her 8 year old daughter.
They finally got to the place, where the patient was ushered in, with Onyema, Nwabiala and Ahurone following behind. The rest were ordered to remain outside because the sacred shrine was not suitable for kids, as he had termed them. Mgborie saw red in that word but she concealed her feeling, in her thought, she was a fully grown woman.
The stood in awe of the sacred objects that adorned the shrine. It looked like anyone with evil intention would be tracked down there if care is not taken, it was not really far from the truth.
They were even more amazed beyond speech when they saw a man in his youth approaching them. They were still expecting an elderly man to come out from anywhere, maybe this could be his slave boy.
How wrong they were. Before they could open their mouth to express their shock, as if he read their mind, he said,

"Look forward to noone else, I am Agumba, the man you're looking for," he said with slight smile. Their amazement hadn't subsided yet, even with their eyes, it was still hard to believe what they're seeing. Is this the boy that have been shaking the whole villages? Or was this still a trick?

"Be careful and thoughtful not to despise the servant of the great Amadioha," he said, again as if he read their mind. They were stunned by his word, they still wondered how he managed to know what their thought were. Maybe they had just began to learn about this weird being.

"Why bring a dead man to the sacred temple of Amadioha?" they were startled by his words and looked towards Madueke, he was still breathing.

"What do you mean by that?" Onyema said with mixed feeling of anger and confusion, he wouldn't have asked such kind of question if it was an elderly dibia who spoke.

"Remember my words. Don't despise the servant of the gods." Agumba still repeated like a sound of warning. Onyema soon came to his real mind,
"men do go to any length even to give their life as ransom."
Madueke suddenly screamed and everyone was wide open in anticipation.
"You shall not die until you confess your did, or it will be done more illustratively." Madueke cried the more, showing how embarrassing it would be. Something like a scale of a snake fell off his eyes and he could see clearly. He moved towards his wives and son, and was surprised to have found himself in such a place, seeing a boy whom he perceived that virtually all his sons would be older than. He frowned, while he turned to his wives,

"Who brought me to this place?" he said angrily.

"Please, nnayi, calm down," they pleaded with him, while he was making advance towards the exit door.

"You know i could make you worse than you were before you were brought here." Agumba said sternly. His wives soon turned their pleas from Madueke to the spiritualist who was getting furious.

"Please, servant of the gods, you've done your best in the world, making him regain his sight and well again. Please don't reverse it." Nwabiala pleaded solemnly. Agumba pointed, as if he was waving her pleas aside, to a shallow bronze pot which was beside him, and signalled them to come closer. They went and saw what shook them to their feet.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:34am On Jun 26, 2013
The cat was let out of the bag in this horrific image which was displayed in the pot. It was that of Madueke when he had gulped the palm wine he brought back from his way to his farm, alongside with the peppersoup meal that Mbiaka who was pregnant then had made for him.
After he had finished, he told Mbiaka who was closest to his heart then, as his new wife, that he will be going to Aro, where her uncle will be bestowed an Ozo title. She begged to go but he declined it even when she had given reasons that the two senior wives would maltrect her these three days he was going to be away. But he gave her full assurance of her safety, and made her see reasons why it won't be possible because of her condition. She later obliged. But far from what he had told her, he diverted to a far away land at the bank of an evil river called 'Mmiri Adaola', it was named so because that river sheltered witches and evil goddesses.
At that time, witches were given strict banishment from the land of Umudioga, hence they settled in the river, stirring the water to a danger zone for an enemy, and a solution zone for whoever came for such. People from Umudioga who still believed in witches, patronized the river secretly.
Madueke reached there with the items he was told to bring for sacrifice, of which a white hen, a live crocodile, a peacock and a python was among. Catching the crocodile was the toughest job he had done in his entire life but for the help of divers, which the fare cost him much, they were able seal the mouth with hook and weave its scale. For the python, it was harmless, provided it was handled the right way. At the bank of the river, he was settled waiting for one to appear.
After sometime, a fair lady with skin glittering like gold, while the water she stood on glistened with sparkling light. Madueke, immediately bowed in reverence of the weird creature and first of all she demanded for the sacrifice requirements which Madueke threw into the river, one after the other.

"I can see how loyal and committed you are to this course, your wish have been granted." she said.

"But i haven't........"
"I know!" she cut him short, "you want your brother's wealth and the community to blindly support you, and keep shut to your approach on your brother's family, isn't it?
Madueke nodded but added,

"I want to gain full control and influence on the king's decision." The creature laughed hysterically and said,

"You ask too much but you'll have a tough task to do, by coming here for bathing every new moon, and you shall continue this trend and make a bigger sacrifice by presenting these requirements every seven years as an act of renewal."

"Just as you wish, my queen" he snapped.

"Not so fast!" she called back, "here are the consequences for negligence." Madueke stood back and paid rapt attention to her.

"If you fail to perform the renewal, you and your family will be at the receiving end." she said sternly.
He squeezed his face slightly like he wanted to object, staking his family in this was sort of a dangerous gamble.

"I can see your mind is not made up, but too late, there's also a price for stirring the still river of Adaola in vain." her voice was more strict now than friendly.

"No way!" he said bravely, "There's no way i can back out on this journey. I will prove to you why i'm called "okpotokpo ajo anu". The weird being made a long and wild hysteric laugh as she descended the river and reascended after sometime coming to the bank of the river, handing a big jar of concoction to him. Madueke looked in it and wonder how he was going to drink up such large quantity of concoction, but he need not provoke the more, who looked like she was going to strike him down if there be any objection from him. He gulped the liquid until he finished it, next he was on the floor because he had taken overdose.

Nwabiala and the rest of them were watching in great amazement and perplexity. The first phase of the revelation had just finished, but they're yet to see what will shock them to their feet.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:36am On Jun 26, 2013
Right still in the mysterious pot was Ararume in his sitting room where he was taking in his snuff which was a routine for him. Onyema wondered what evil Ararume might have involved himself in to be part of this revelation, he had many question running through his mind at the moment.
Ochibiaram served him his akpu meal and okazi soup, which he sat up to eat, Uju joined her also in preparing the meal, and she was also serving the meal.
Sooner than later, Madueke knocked on the door and was ushered in and given a sit.
Madueke again.
Ararume invited him to dine with him but he declined giving excuse of how he was over-fed by eating different meal from his three wives. His brother let out a chuckled.

"I knew that one day, you were going to complain of overfeeding," he laughed, Madueke laughed along but the hypocrisy in his smile was visible to Nwabiala and her other fellow family members, but unnoticed by Ararume who was the actor in the scene.
Madueke soon let out his evil powers through his eyes. His manipulation with his eyes wouldn't be visible in the real world but was very clear and visible there in the mysterious pot. As Madueke opened and closed his eyes, and then blinked it severally, the bad effect of his bad eye manipulation had hit in his meal. Madueke looked forward to doing the same thing to the other which was the food made for the children.
So this wicked man had intention to wipe the whole family.
Immediately his eyes transmitted the deadly poison into the food which Uju held in her hand. Soon later, Uju's hand was shaking until the food fell off her hand.
Madueke was angry with that, as well as Ochibiaram, who had started scolding her.

"Uju, are you pregnant?" she asked a rhetorical question there, while Uju who was so emotional, shade pool of tears. She left her mother's presence to a secluded place where she wept her out.
Only if Ochi could see this the way Nwabiala and co were seeing it now.
While Ochi was going after Uju, her husband began coughing profusely, he tried helping himself with his water, but it persisted. He fell on the floor, and that was it. Uju, haven heard his strange cough rushed in to know what was wrong with her father, only coming to see Ochi and Madueke making all effort to revive him, which was futile.
Madueke wasn't slow to accuse Ochi and Uju for poisoning his brother, even if she denied the allegation, even by swearing in shrines, drinking all sort of dangerous liquids continuously to reaffirm her innocence.
Madueke had made effort to acquire all his brother's legacy but Ochi wasn't that type of woman you would just push aside. She was strong hearted and could be somehow aggressive if pushed to the wall. Ulumma must have had this gene passed to her from her mother.
She fought tooth and nail to preserve her husband's property. Madueke then saw her as a big barrier to his agenda, eliminating her would be the solution.
Madueke dug in a charm in her farm where she came to harvest crops she would sell in the next market. Uju was the first to go to the farm, she had unknowingly stepped on it while she went into the farm to harvest the cassava crops. Madueke who was watching from the sides was shocked at what he saw. Though, he hadn't prepared the charm for the young lady, but he felt the charm had no effect.
Ochi was sighted from afar approaching her husband's farm, she hath stopped along the way discussing with one of her friends, while Uju who waited for long couldn't wait any longer for their discussion to end, so she went ahead of her mother to the place.
Not so long, Ochi's scream was heard by Uju, as she rushed to help her mother but she couldn't stand to her feet.
Madueke jubilated at this success he had made. Anwuguru, the witch doctor who made the charm for him, must have been wise enough to have made it to hit noone but its target, or maybe still there could be something about Uju that would be interesting to know.
That was how Ochi, Uju's mother became ill.

The hollow of the mysterious pot was now as dark as midnight, Nwabiala, her son and her co-wife had seen a lot with their eyes. Nwabiala felt a sense of guilt in her, she had supported her husband unknowingly and also packing to live with him in a house in which he had killed the owner to have to himself. For Ahurone, she thought it was time to know the full truth and not half way. Madueke got blind after visiting Uju, she'd like the witch to be exposed also. She made the request to Agumba, and he did it wholeheartedly by stirring the hollow of the pot again.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 6:42am On Jun 26, 2013
And guess what

We shall know after the break grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 9:01am On Jun 26, 2013
Ihe neme o............nna odikwa very serious
Re: Prisoners Of War by Teespice(f): 9:15am On Jun 26, 2013
Please don't keep us in suspense for too long. Been following since the beginning and I must say its really lovely. Kudos.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:28am On Jun 26, 2013
cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 26, 2013
So dat mad, silly, arrogant, wicked, stubborn, madueke killed the lovely family finish. Pls tell dat medicine man 2 return him back a his previous state and even worse. Amen.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:06pm On Jun 26, 2013
Damex333: So dat mad, silly, arrogant, wicked, stubborn, madueke killed the lovely family finish. Pls tell dat medicine man 2 return him back a his previous state and even worse. Amen.
OK, i've pass your message grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by oyestephen(m): 11:11pm On Jun 26, 2013
Damex333: So dat mad, silly, arrogant, wicked, stubborn, madueke killed the lovely family finish. Pls tell dat medicine man 2 return him back a his previous state and even worse. Amen.
u don vex o
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:46am On Jun 27, 2013
HOLY FUQ! angry
I lost my work angry
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 27, 2013
Eze Promoe: HOLY FUQ! angry
I lost my work angry
wat? U lost ur work? To who?
Let me guess (my dog)smiley seriously. Tell us how!
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2013
^^^No be this my yeye system. I lost what would have been my longest update.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 12:07pm On Jun 28, 2013
Please distinguished followers, I'm still on my knees, begging you all to be patient with me. I lost 3 updates and i'm trying everything possible to rewrite it.
Had it been i wrote this on a book before typing, it would have been a different ball game altogether.
Thanks for your understanding.

Eze Promoe
(importer-exporter) cool
Re: Prisoners Of War by Mynd44: 12:10pm On Jun 28, 2013
What, you forgot to hit "cntrl S" abi your auto correct no dey work again?
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2013
My system was having a kind of issue with virus, so my technician had to format the hard disk drive, everything was wiped out.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2013
Even Avast couldn't help curb the spread of this virus. SMH
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 3:01pm On Jun 28, 2013
Eze Promoe: Even Avast couldn't help curb the spread of this virus. SMH
Eze u dey lie Jor.....nontin du ur system
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:19am On Jun 29, 2013
Madueke had knocked on the door severally but the girls inside reluctantly opened it. He then in his outburst made an aggressive approach on the girls, he was particular about Uju because she was like a second possible threat to his agenda. He had tried to use his evil eyes on her but it wasn't working as he wanted it to.
Although, his intention was not to kill her then in order not to rouse suspicion, he had in mind that the effect of his killer eyes will happen sooner after he left.
How Madueke used his diabolic powers and how it was manipulated was very clear to Nwabiala and others who watched the happening in the mysterious pot.
They could see with their physical eyes how diabolic powers are manipulated.
Madueke took a bold step and hit Uju hardly making her fall on the bed subconsciously, then he grabbed her throat, wanting to pierce her throat with the killer eyes but it boomeranged and hurt his eyes and that was how he got blind.
Nwabiala had waited patiently to see how a cobra spat into Madueke's eyes like Uju and her sisters had claimed or how Uju and her sisters turned into big snakes and attacked Madueke like he too had claimed, but none was shown. Meaning, both parties had lied when the incidence had occured.
Oby actually embellished the cobra tales to save herself and her sisters from being accused as witches. Otherwise, how could a cobra have been so tactical, spitting directly into his two eyes without some of the spillage on his body.
On the other hand, it was safer for Madueke to accuse the trio of being the three cobras that attacked him following the footstep of Oby's flawed embroider, and it was easy for people to believe him owing the fact that the two stories were related and coupled with the fact that Madueke had his diabolic influence over the decision of the kings and the top men of the village.
The pot went blank with darkness, while Nwabiala and Ahurone looked at each other appalled. There was moment of grave silence in the shrine, only whispers of those outside possibly those who waited outside to consult the great spiritualist for divination.

"You heard it, Nwabiala, we're all going to die!" Ahurone broke the silence not minding the presence of the spiritualist, "I'm living his house this moment."

"And you think you're still safe?" Agumba said making Ahurone pause immediately, "Have you put into consideration the possibility of you being hit even right after here as you've made this decision." Fear gripped Ahurone totally and she found herself holding on to Nwabiala's arms tightly making her feel uncomfortable.

"Please, great diviner, don't let us die, we've already lost enough," Nwabiala pleaded alongside Ahurone who had already started shading tears.
Onyema himself was dumbfounded. His father's negligence must have been the reason why his two brothers had fallen in the war. He himself had narrowly escaped the same fate on that bloody battle ground.

"Fear not!" Agumba gave them assurance. "That is why you now have me. You shall not die only if you take my amulets and follow my instructions." They nodded with vigour and willingness. Agumba brought out three amulets and put it on each of them.

"My sister is out there," Onyema informed. One wouldn't remember the last time he had address Mgborie as such, albeit they've had not much thing in common. He went to usher the lady who had deeply fallen asleep already in the shade of a mango tree which was in a secluded area. He waked her, and she responded reluctantly, staggering from one side of her to another, she was indeed a heavy sound sleeper.

"Where is papa, did you see him?" he asked her because they had disappeared from their presence in the shrine even after Agumba had commanded him not to.

"I don't know." she said while yawning.
She must still be feeling sleepy and may be unconscious of her words, Onyema thought.
He repeated the same question to make sure she heard him very well, but she gave the same reply. Her eyes were clear. Onyema told her to come with him to the shrine.

"Why should I ?"

"Because it is very important you do so." She gave him that her look of despisal, and then followed him.
Mgborie came in the shrine to see everyone putting on a kind of look like someone died, she wondered if it could be her father. Agumba signalled her to come closer and he put it on her.

"Hmmm." he muttered, "i wonder why young girls now can't honour their future husband by keeping their virginity for him." he said. Mgborie was shocked at his words, so was others.

"Please diviner, it wasn't done deliberately, it was against her wish." Ahurone pleaded on her behalf.

"That's true," Nwabiala supported.

"The gods are no fools to have difficulty in making distinction between willingness and unwillingness." Agumba said meanly, but Mgborie blatantly and aggressively debunked his statement.
She made her biggest mistake by berating Agumba, maybe because he looked very much like her mate or even her junior.

"All he said are all lies," she said, "you can't carry out your duty without forging false allegations to make it look like you see vision. Learn how to follow the path of men who are much older and learned than you or better off, go and join your mates in doing something that will better your life."
Only if she was also there when they watched the mysterious pot earlier, she would not have blasted the young but powerful spiritualist in such manner.

"Mgborie!" Ahurone exclaimed.

"Mama please."

"Please, Agumba, don't take her words to heart, she's still a little girl." Ahurone pleaded on her behalf.

"Mama, you don't have to add salt to my injury, by insulting me again. Infact, i don't need this any longer" she pulled the amulet on her and threw it back at Agumba.
Agumba cleared his throat.

"I refuse to agree with you that she's a little girl, what I see before me is a lady who's ripe for marriage, and there's no way she don't know what it means to insult the wisdom of the gods. You're a really lucky one that the gods are having their good day coupled with the fact that i also have human sympathy. So i will count that as ignorance." he just finished saying.
Come forward alone." he commanded.
Mgborie refused even if she was pushed and spanked by her mother like a kid.

"No violence in the sacred shrine of the most revered Amadioha," Agumba called them to other, "since she refused, you all can come forward and see for yourselves." he stirred the pot once again, and they watched the hollow pot again.
Unbelievable!
"M-G-B-O-R-I-E!" she was nowhere to be found. They all took their bow and left Agumba's shrine.
Agumba laughed wildly, as they left all in a jiffy.

"The hen that accuses the dog of eating faeces, don't know where the worm it ate came from."
"NEXT!"

Nwabiala, Ahurone and Onyema ran home in search for Mgborie, they hoped and prayed in their heart that Agumba wouldn't let loose the wrath of the gods on her. Ahurone was going to scold her and she'll serve the punishment of going back to Aro to appease the gods for her misconduct.
Soon, they had reached where their home or rather Ararume's home in Umudioga, where they couldn't believe what they saw.
Their house was more like a market place or an event ground, because it was filled with spectators who came in numbers to view what must be a bad scene, because they all wore sad looks. They saw what looks like a man who was swinging freely in the air between heaven and earth as they saw from afar, but got closer.
Lo and behold, it was Madueke's body hanged with a rope running tightly across his throat. The men were trying to bring down his body gently, because he had climbed so high on an ukwa tree to commit the suicide.
Why would Madueke take his own life? A man who had wished to live greater number of years than his ancestors.
It was not far from the fact that Madueke was close to his doom day.
Nwabiala and Ahurone went wild in raving, they had not expect nemesis to catch up with him soon.
But was this really nemesis? A man took his life with his own hand, afterall, no man killed him.
Onyema was just dumbfounded, his mind went back to all he saw in the mysterious pot, maybe all had resulted to this.
Going by calculation, they were six months ahead the deadline for the sacrifice renewal at Mmiri Adaola.
It wouldn't be thoughtful, mourning someone who didn't value his life.
Talking about Madueke, was he disturbed by the witches or he did this out of guilt?
So many questions running through his mind now, but they were still up for more shocker.
Not too long, they got more shock of their lives, when some men had broken into the house to bring out the corpses of Mbiaka and her daughter which she had bore for Madueke.
What is this? Could this be part of the price Madueke was to pay for his negligence on what he put upon himself.
More shock gripped the entire sympathizers as the corpses of Ahurone's children save Mgborie and Nweke's pregnant wife followed suit.
What were they still talking about? Everyone is gone.
Now, Akwanwa and Mgborie were now missing. Probably, they've also dropped dead somewhere, that will even be the worst.
Contrary to everyone's expectation, Agumba was present from nowhere, even his ragged dress and spotted body couldn't wipe away his boyish looks. Noone would be blame if someone inadvertently belittle him, he was indeed a genius and a challenge to lot of youths within that age bracket.
It was hard for him to command the crowd to be silent, the noise was so much, and people who heard his commands, felt like they were insulted.
Agumba continued his speech not minding the noise. Those who had ears should listen.

"People of Umudioga, i greet you all. It is so unfortunate that things like these are happening when a festival is to be held. Why do you have river by you, yet dust particles is still tormenting your eyes. You made a decision and banished witches from your land. Why go back to them to look for solution. A dog will never go back to the bush where it was stung by the bees, to search for faeces. Today, a family have been wiped away because of the greediness of a man. The daughters of Adaola are not happy that you didn't welcome them in your land, and they seek every given opportunity to vent their anger on you. Desist from visiting that river. Don't disband the meeting of foxes when your gun is faulty. As for the dead man himself, the gods of the earth have rejected his body, he shall not be buried, his body shall be cast into the evil forest where the wild dogs shall feed on his flesh. He has done something abominable."
there was an uproar from the crowd in defiance of his last command.
Agumba was a great spiritualist, no doubt, but it was just unthinkable to pass such judgement on a well known and respected man like Madueke, coming from a young aged priest.
What does he take their people for? Who does he think he is?
They never gave up on their resentment, instead they embalmed Madueke's body with coconut oil, wrapping it on a white cloth, preparing it for burial.

"Don't provoke the gods than you've done already," Agumba warned but noone heed, they were still bent on doing their wish.
Anyike, seemed to be the brain behind their stubbornness, he continued charging them, boosting their morale to go ahead in what they did. He and Madueke was best of friend, he had handled many issues for him, like preparing medicine and charms for him, and in turn, Madueke paid handsomely for his services. He could go any height to defend his lost friend, not a teenage priest or whatever could stop him. He believed he had the power to challenge any diviner, or spiritualist. He may have this power but Agumba wasn't just any priest, that was what he failed to understand. He took up a challenge at the young man.

"Listen, child. What an elder sees sitting, a child can't see standing on an iroko tree. You're still a stranger in this land, so you'll have to get accustomed to our custom before imposing any order." he said rudely.

"Anyike, i don't believe that you of all people will be leading these innocent ones to their early grave." Anyike marveled at how he mentioned his name even when he hadn't made any enquiry. Maybe he, probably, could have heard about him.

"Watch your words, young man, before you make more blunder. The gods speak through me also. And when i thus speak, its the gods speaking." he commanded the boys to continue the burial process. These men were really daring the gods ignorantly. Agumba laughed hysterically as they were digging the grave. Suddenly there was a mysterious wind that blew hitting the ukwa tree where Madueke had committed the suicide and the huge tree fell to the ground. Pandemonium broke out in the crowd of spectators. There was confusion all over the place, and at a twinkle of an eye, Madueke's corpse vanished, and it was nowhere to be found. Agumba laughed wildly, in mock of Anyike, who might be wondering and might have lost hope after all his empty boast.
His thought was wrong. Anyike put his hand into his little bag, which he hung on his shoulders, brought out a piece of kolanut, made incantations, chewed it and then poured it on the spot that Madueke's body had vanished from.
To everyone's amazement, the dead body was back to its original position.
The crowd cheered his guts to take on the strange dictator-like spiritualist, they could now put their trust in Anyike.
Agumba was challenged, he was not going to let this go, it was a public disgrace, coupled with the jeers he received from the youths who were there. It wasn't his intention to turn the mourning scene into a battleline for show of power, but this medicine man was biting more than he can chew.
He made a fetish staff appear in his hands, which he held firmly that his hand quavered. He then stroke it against the dust of the earth, packed a large amount of dry sand on his palm, and threw it up in the air. The descent of the dust was accompanied by woeful stinging gnats.
The ruthless insects surrounded the lifeless body and at the twinkle of an eye, Madueke's body was like the sand of the earth, the only difference was the darker texture of the newly formed particles.
Agumba didn't call back the gnats and thus, it had spread round Umudioga village already.
Everyone was forced to leave the place to his or her home, while the other corpses lied helplessly on the floor.
The new visitors had thus, come to stay.
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 3:22am On Jun 29, 2013
I want to thank you all for your patience and kindness.
More updates will be coming up on monday.
Re: Prisoners Of War by BlueLantern: 8:17am On Jun 29, 2013
Dam it.......dis is getting hotter
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 8:31am On Jun 29, 2013
Dis story is finally reaching its peak.........eze more anti_virus to ur system.........lol
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:13am On Jun 29, 2013
sambroose: Dis story is finally reaching its peak.........eze more anti_virus to ur system.........lol
I receive it grin
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 9:14am On Jun 29, 2013
BlueLantern: Dam it.......dis is getting hotter
Very very hot!
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jun 29, 2013
sambroose: Dis story is finally reaching its peak.........eze more ;D_virus to ur system.........lol
eze see wetin ds sam write. Oya change maduke name 2 sam jor. grin. Anyway more oil 2 ur elbow and more ink 2 ur pen
Re: Prisoners Of War by BlueLantern: 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2013
Damex333: eze see wetin ds sam write. Oya change maduke name 2 sam jor. grin. Anyway more oil 2 ur elbow and more ink 2 ur pen
damex I go arrest u 4 plagiarism o.......abi which kind blackmail be dis sef
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2013
BlueLantern: damex I go arrest u 4 plagiarism o.......abi which kind blackmail be dis sef
arrest am
Re: Prisoners Of War by EzePromoe: 11:20am On Jun 30, 2013
Damex333: eze see wetin ds sam write. Oya change maduke name 2 sam jor. grin.

If im baptism name na Sam, im NL username go be Damex444 tongue

Anyway more oil 2 ur elbow and more ink 2 ur pen
If my elbow lick oil, which one wey my mouth go lick cheesy
Re: Prisoners Of War by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 30, 2013
BlueLantern: damex I go arrest u 4 plagiarism o.......abi which kind blackmail be dis sef
na d blackmail wey white grin
sambroose: arrest am
4 wat offence na tongue
Eze Promoe:
If im baptism name na Sam, im NL username go be Damex444 tongue

If my elbow lick oil, which one wey my mouth go lick cheesy
damex444? That means he is a counterfeit anoda offence 2 his ancestors. Ur mouth go lick engine oil.tongue
Re: Prisoners Of War by Eneze1(f): 2:24pm On Jul 01, 2013
I have really missed oo, let me quickly go the first page and start, won,t disturb for updates for a while
Re: Prisoners Of War by sambroose(m): 9:19pm On Jul 01, 2013
I knew it...........so u finally didn't post today

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

Cold / Famous Books, Countries That Banned Them And Why It Was Banned.- Tapread.net / Chimamamanda Adichie Fights Arthur Eze Over Land Grabbing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.