Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) (81136 Views)

Hair Breakage Remedy For Relaxed Hair / How To Make Your Relaxed Hair Grow Longer And Fuller. / African Ladies Spend Over $7billion On Wigs,hair,extensions And Relaxer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Toyatc: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2013
Hi everyone,
The last time i retouched was in march and i am not ready for another retouch yet. But my problem is the my hair is becoming too difficult to comb with a big comb and it still breaks. I do daily moisturising, massaging,co-washing etc but i am not satisfied with the results.I usually carry braids for like a month and then alternate it with wig for another month.
Please any idea on what to do. I am really looking forward to the days i would just rock only my natural hair all along.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 02, 2013
Toya_tc: Hi everyone,
The last time i retouched was in march and i am not ready for another retouch yet. But my problem is the my hair is becoming too difficult to comb with a big comb and it still breaks. I do daily moisturising, massaging,co-washing etc but i am not satisfied with the results.I usually carry braids for like a month and then alternate it with wig for another month.
Please any idea on what to do. I am really looking forward to the days i would just rock only my natural hair all along.

Ur hair is becoming too difficult to comb means its time to retouch unless u want to transition fully to natural hair. U can apply relaxer and wash it out before it becomes fully termed. That way you can still manage combing.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 8:35pm On Aug 02, 2013
@Toya_tc
Yup! (you're right @BagLova) you should go an retouch ,otherwise it will continue that way ,more breakage.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
BagLova:

Ur hair is becoming too difficult to comb means its time to retouch unless u want to transition fully to natural hair. U can apply relaxer and wash it out before it becomes fully termed. That way you can still manage combing.

Do I just have to stop retouching if I want to transition to natural hair?

The Last time I retouched was in April...
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 02, 2013
That's the essence of it. Chemical-free hair.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
^^^
Yeah... But someone said after that I have to cut it sad
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 02, 2013
I.Joan:
^^^
Yeah... But someone said after that I have to cut it sad

You don't have to. I'm not cutting mine. Maybe a light trim or dusting here and there, but no cuts.
Cutting it is easier and the more popular choice as someone love to enjoy all phases and lengths of their natural hair. It's entirely up to you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by funkybaby(f): 6:47am On Aug 03, 2013
@ogugua and I.joan

I'm also transitioning to natural hair. Last retouch was late march.

I felt it will take ages ...... Maybe 2 years for the retouched hair to grow out (ain't got time for that) grin, so I woke up one morning, did all the usual hair drama.... Deep conditioning, i got a pair of scissors and cut off over three quarters of my hair myself grin I stopped at the line where my natural hair ends.

Rocked the Afro for a few days, deep conditioned all night and then I had small sized box braids done.

My plan is to have the braids on for a few weeks, take them off and then head off to a barber to shave off any relaxed hair that's left and also even the cut.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Playgal(f): 6:56am On Aug 03, 2013
Hey Babes, pls where can I get this wig u r talking about? Am based in Lagos...........
babestell: Am going to be wearing wigs for the next half year, at least until my hair starts to look presentable. Just discovered something called a U-part wig, should be an improvement over my front lace wigs. Now just to figure out where I can buy it.

To my despair, I have been finding it difficult to find all those nice products I see on blogs in Port Harcourt. Every time I save up enough money to buy, the online shops are always out of stock angry Thank God for shea butter and coconut oil that i can find)

@Mamacita007 please before you take the plunge and cut your hair, just try and see if u can make out at least 2 hours in a week for your hair. It may be 2 hrs Friday night or early Saturday morn. Just try to build up a routine that works for u.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 5:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
I.Joan:
Do I just have to stop retouching if I want to transition to natural hair?

The Last time I retouched was in April...

Joan has joined the gang ... cheesy Nice one! You'd be shocked how long and healthy your hair will be. I can't transition to natural ... My hair is the true definition of nappyness, full and thick like elephant grass cheesy I do blow-outs and leave my hair semi-relaxed. If you wanna fully transition to natural, trims are necessary to avoid breakage or close your eyes and do the big chop! shocked

I barely fix weaves, i use U-part and half wigs or leave my hair in a ponytail.

1 Like

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 9:04am On Aug 05, 2013
Hey Ladies, anyone tried supplements or pills like Biotin? A friend brags that her hair grows about 1.5 - 2" monthly with Biotin (hair and nails) and pre-natal pills. I started taking the prenatal pills last week, but it leaves me crazily nauseated and I'm not preggers. I quit! cheesy

Castor oil works great on eyebrows and lashes as well (apply it nightly). Hello Kim K! *battling eyelashes*
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 06, 2013
The pre-natals do work. My sis-in-law is pregnant,has strong nails and her hair is natural and is almost bra length. She experienced rapid hair growth since she started taking her prenatals,plus she takes very good care of her hair.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 06, 2013
Yvete: Hey Ladies, anyone tried supplements or pills like Biotin? A friend brags that her hair grows about 1.5 - 2" monthly with Biotin (hair and nails) and antenatal pills. I started taking the ante-natal pills last week, but it leaves me crazily nauseated and I'm not preggers. I quit! cheesy

Castor oil works great on eyebrows and lashes as well (apply it nightly). Hello Kim K! *battling eyelashes*

shocked

That's 3-4 months worth of hair.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 11:09am On Aug 06, 2013
yea ,the pre-natal pills helps with the hair growth and strong healthy snails,but i hate the fact that it increases my appetite for food.So i opted for something else like Mineral Rich which i take once a day in the mornings, it has 200 mcg of Biotin and 1000 mcg of silica.I'm currently running out so i'm stretching the tiny bit left ,i'm taking it 3 times a week now.

Oh,did i mention,THIS STUFF WORKS! i had an inch of hair growth in 4 wks, pictures here http://productsthatactuallydowork..com/p/hair-w.html

other supplements like Omega-H3, and Obron 6 are also good.

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by babestell(f): 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
Playgal: Hey Babes, pls where can I get this wig u r talking about? Am based in Lagos...........

My sister I still dey find am o! I know someone in lagos will have it. I live in PH which is just a big village as far as I am concerned. Whenever I get to Lagos I will look and if I find I will share, Unless some knowledgeable Nairaland sis can help us with that info on where to get U-Part wigs
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 06, 2013
Abeg where dem dey distribute this ante natal pills shocked

Is it safe for a very very young chikala like me sad
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 5:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
Evelyn06: The pre-natals do work. My sis-in-law is pregnant,has strong nails and her hair is natural and is almost bra length. She experienced rapid hair growth since she started taking her prenatals,plus she takes very good care of her hair.

Oops my bad! Its Prenatal not antenatal. What brand does she use? This one makes me sick.
@Uzoo: Nice blog! That drink is quite expensive - $30 on eBay. Still thinking ... smiley

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Rify(f): 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2013
Yvete: Hey Ladies, anyone tried supplements or pills like Biotin? A friend brags that her hair grows about 1.5 - 2" monthly with Biotin (hair and nails) and pre-natal pills. I started taking the prenatal pills last week, but it leaves me crazily nauseated and I'm not preggers. I quit! cheesy

I take biotin and it works well for me. my hair grows well and my nails are stronger. but one thing is you need so much water, it causes a heavy breakout and water is just the answer anyways.i take the 2500mcg, it was difficult to find but I did finally.
www.naturalrify.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 3:08am On Aug 14, 2013
ohmashoes: Shop for women's shoes up to size 13W, various designers from Nine West to Soda to Chinese Laundry plus beautiful and affordable handbags
Free Shipping in Nigeria + 10% off every time you shop
www.ohmashoes.com
www.facebook.com/ohmashoes

Welcome ohmashoes. Hope u have healthy hair to complete ur look. grin
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 14, 2013
funkybaby: @ogugua and I.joan

I'm also transitioning to natural hair. Last retouch was late march.

I felt it will take ages ...... Maybe 2 years for the retouched hair to grow out (ain't got time for that) grin, so I woke up one morning, did all the usual hair drama.... Deep conditioning, i got a pair of scissors and cut off over three quarters of my hair myself grin I stopped at the line where my natural hair ends.

Rocked the Afro for a few days, deep conditioned all night and then I had small sized box braids done.

My plan is to have the braids on for a few weeks, take them off and then head off to a barber to shave off any relaxed hair that's left and also even the cut.

What a tough decision u made. it will surely pay off when u continue loving on ur hair. Good luck.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Toyatc: 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2013
@BagLova and Uzoo,
Thanks for your suggestions. But interestingly,i have been able to manage the hair as per combing. I no longer have difficulty combing and the texture is just ok.
I am really loving the way the hair in turning out so i'm not thinking of retouching yet. I might have to wait till November.That would make it 8 months stretch.
I am on braids now (two wks plus) but i still carry out my normal hair regime on the braid.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 3:51pm On Aug 14, 2013
Yvete:

Oops my bad! Its Prenatal not antenatal. What brand does she use? This one makes me sick.
@Uzoo: Nice blog! That drink is quite expensive - $30 on eBay. Still thinking ... smiley

thanks Yvete.
''That drink is quite expensive'' Tell me about it.., got mine on amazon for almost $35 including shipping,this was before i found out about this site http://www.christianstuff.biz/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=ML015&Category_Code=maximum-living that sells it for $21 with free shipping. angry angry angry.

Once this is finished i will start on the biotin proper. maybe 2500 mcg.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 4:02pm On Aug 14, 2013
@Toya tc

I was 2 months post texlaxed on the 9th of this month.

i've done a 6 months stretch before in the past,(this was before i started any hair journey ...i just hated the way relaxers burnt my scalp) and my hair just had a moderate growth of about 1 inch every 7 to 8 weeks. With the rate at which its growing now,i think i may have to do my next relaxer touch up soon b'cos i find it hard to get the comb through my hair and i dont want any more breakage. sad
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Toyatc: 9:14am On Aug 23, 2013
@Uzoo,
Don't you think 2months is too short if you really want to do the stretch. The hot oil treatment really helps in softening the hair, maybe you should give it a try and then take your time to comb with big comb.Take a very little portion of the hair at a time.This requires patience and time.

I am on my 22 weeks post relaxer and i am loving it. I will take off my braids this weekend and then do black tea rinse and deep conditioning.

Off the topic, Uzoo i dey see the bomb wey you dey drop for food section.I checked your blog and i will give the shawarma a try though the direction is not clear to me, but i will just try anyway.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 2:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
@Toya tc
I've got a a hair regimen too and also have two wide tooth combs,the thing is i think my supplements i beginning to kick in ,like my new growth is on some kind of steriods...lol. Which makes it break off at the point of demarcation . I also mix oils and proteins at home as part of my hair regimen.

I will do the 6 months stretch which should end in December before i use the relaxer to texlax. I'm not looking to go natural,just want more length and maintain a healthy hair ,so if the 6 months stretch goes on well then i'll only be using the relaxers every 6 months from now on.
I do a herbal green tea rinse ,black tea and coffee tends to stiffen my hair.My next wash day is tomorrow and i hope i dont have to pick any more strands of hair from the floor. grin

(Thanks for visiting my blog cheesy, let me know how the shawarma goes, over at the food section smiley )
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 4:56am On Aug 24, 2013
Yvete:

really? You react to Vitafusion? I used the vitafusion prenatals for about a week and there were no side effects to it,but I switched to the ordinary vitafusion multivites when that finished. She uses OB complete 400. But it's prescribed by her doctor. If you don't like the vitafusion, I doubt if you will like this one because it comes in tablets, not the gummy form like vitafusion's.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 11:57am On Aug 28, 2013
hello ladies,what's the latest on the stretch? Any more tips on how to minimize breakage? smiley
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 10:36pm On Aug 30, 2013
Evelyn06: really? You react to Vitafusion? I used the vitafusion prenatals for about a week and there were no side effects to it,but I switch to the ordinary vitafusion multivites when that finished. She uses OB complete 400. But it's prescribed by her doctor. If you don't like the vitafusion, I doubt if you will like this one because it comes in tablets, not the gummy form like vitafusion's.

Yea, I react to Vitafusion. If a doctor's prescription is required to buy OB 400, I'll look for another brand. Can anyone recommend a good brand of biotin pills? How much mg is appropriate daily?

@UZO: My stretch should end in November. Lately, I get serious headaches when my scalp is dry. Plus, the its beginning to break off (not so much). Is the tea rinse like protein treatment to stop breakage or like a conditioner?
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 30, 2013
I thought I was transitioning. It ended up being a 36-week stretch. All I can say is never again lol. Detangling was a nightmare and breakage was troublesome. Seems like my hair broke off almost at an identical rate to my growth as the length retained doesn't seem to be up to two inches.

I'll be relaxing more frequently now and going back to doing what I was doing before. It seems like 14-18 week stretches work best for me.

2 Likes

Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by Yvete(f): 11:11pm On Aug 30, 2013
@ Ogugua88 - Lolz. Did you use a detangling spray or you tried to force the comb through your dry hair? Long-term stretches are not for me too - Max is 3 months.
Re: Relaxed Hair- Let's Challenge our hair growth (3, 4 Or 6 Month Relaxer Stretch) by uzoo: 1:08am On Aug 31, 2013
@Ogugua88

You're right , its the same thing that's happening to me too,The hair is fast growing but i can't seem to retain more lengths . like i said ,seems like my new growth are on steroids that makes the rest of the relaxed/texlaxed hair break away. I dont even do much to it just wrapped up in a pony tail with the ends tucked in after moisturising and sealing.

@Yvete

i have followed my regimen to the T, but honestly i am tired of still picking some hair from the comb on days i dont do a Tea Rinse. My tea rinse is once a week and breakage only stops for that day only(i pray every other wash day not to have much breakage) the other good thing is that it has given my hair a really darker shade which i love.(looks like i dyed my hair black)

To answer your question ,No its not a protein treatment ,You just brew some Green tea or Black tea that has caffeine in it ,let it cool and then pour over your hair after conditioning , ,You have to place a jug or bowl to collect it when it runs through your hair and then pour it over your hair again.The caffeine in the tea helps prevent breakage ,some people use coffee too

Finally ! some people are on the same page as me, Gosh! i cant wait for september 7 ( it will be 3 months stretch by then),So there's a possibility of ending my stretch.Why i joined the stretch was to see if i could have some more length rather than volume, but the down side is breakage.

But here's the thing ,even when i do use the relaxers my hair return backs to being coarse after a few days,so i have to keep using products that are hydrating and can soften them to make them smooth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See What This Lady Wore To The Bank That Sparked Outrage (pic, Video) / Senegambian Couture In Pictures! / Reasons Why Ugandan Ladies Do Not Wear Panties - By UgandaExposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.