Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? (4352 Views)

Can The Poor Be Truly Happy? / Is There A Peak Age For Entrepreneurship ? / Does Travelling Abroad Truly Guarantee A Better Future? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by OmerianConsult: 11:55pm On Feb 25, 2013
Recently the world over, there has been a glut in the number of institutions seeking to teach entrepreneurship. I however believe that entrepreneurship is an innate trait which individuals often manifest at a tender age. It could even be hereditary! As such I believe that entrepreneurship can never be taught, only that salient complementary skills such as finance and marketing could be imparted into business-inclined individuals. What do you think?
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 26, 2013
You've said it. Only life can teach you to be a good entrepreneur.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Nobody: 10:08am On Feb 26, 2013
Entrpreneurship is not for everyone but that does not mean it can not be thought. It can be thought to only those who already have the potential to be an entrepreneur. For example the Rich dad company own by Robert kiyosaki the author of Rich dad poor Dad does that. I have read many of his books and they have greatly increased my entrepreneurship abilities and skills. Though entrepreneurship is something that runs in my family. I believe I picked it up from my Mum.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by OmerianConsult: 11:55am On Feb 26, 2013
You just confirmed that it is probably hereditary. A fact not known by the great entrep coaches.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by nosarakins(m): 3:18pm On Feb 26, 2013
In my own view it can be thought since it has to be a form skill acquisition, as an entrepreneur you need the skill to succeed. The introduction of entrepreneurship training in our schools has giving rise to more graduate entrepreneurs in Nigeria. It does not mean that you must be a graduate before you can do business.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by OmerianConsult: 9:40am On Feb 27, 2013
Skill acquisition such as recharge card and soap making etc aren't entrepreneurship per say. Neither is investment (shares, real estates etc).
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by spyder880(m): 3:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
Are entrepnerurs born or made?

I will say YES and NO.

2 Likes

Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Standing5(m): 3:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
Yes it can, but not its success. Entrepreneurship does not guaranty its "success".

1 Like

Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Gloriagee(f): 3:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
Entrepreneurship cannot be taught but skills that can make u a better entrepreneur can be honed/ improved upon by teaching. You'll agree with me that there's a difference between Bill Gates and the local pepper seller. Howbeit, both are entrepreneurs.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by ITbomb(m): 3:29pm On Feb 28, 2013
Entrepreneurs may need to sharpen their skills but nobody can ever be taught entrepreneurship from scratch.
A good entrepreneur goes to specific trainings to brush up but the wannabes goes to any training hoping to get some interest or short cuts
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by spyder880(m): 3:30pm On Feb 28, 2013
Omerian Consult: Recently the world over, there has been a glut in the number of institutions seeking to teach entrepreneurship. I however believe that entrepreneurship is an innate trait which individuals often manifest at a tender age. It could even be hereditary! As such I believe that entrepreneurship can never be taught, only that salient complementary skills such as finance and marketing could be imparted into business-inclined individuals. What do you think?

Some are born with the trait but some learn it from coaching, schools, and apprenticeship like those at the markets where small boys learn skills from the Oga by serving them in the shops.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by spyder880(m): 3:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
Standing5: Yes it can, but not its success. Entrepreneurship does not guaranty its "success".

Good entrepreneurship will always have success as its end result.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by dedons: 3:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ask again
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by israel007: 3:36pm On Feb 28, 2013
if you have it, you have it. it shows. it burns in you. the ideas keep poping and sometimes it feels like your head would explode.

in my own opinion, it can be taught,(an person starting afresh or one who needs to build on his ideas can go learn in the form of Mentorship, coaching or conventional learning) but the level and speed at which a person who has it in him would catch up on it would differ from the person who is just being taught. so yea, it can be taught.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by spyder880(m): 3:42pm On Feb 28, 2013
Gloriagee: Entrepreneurship cannot be taught but skills that can make u a better entrepreneur can be honed/ improved upon by teaching. You'll agree with me that there's a difference between Bill Gates and the local pepper seller. Howbeit, both are entrepreneurs.

There are no serious differnce between the local pepper seller and Bill Gates apart from location, size of capital and branch of entrepreneuship they chose. From an entreprenual standpoint both are running their businesses, taking risks and making some profit at the end of the day.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by tony1980: 3:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
Some people are born great,some people achieve greatness and some people have greatness thrust upon them.My dear,entrepreneurship can equally be learnt.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:54pm On Feb 28, 2013
As an Igbo boy, I will say yes!!

Alot of the enterprenuers in Anambra State actualy learnt the craft of their trades at the hands of an 'Oga'.. They spend about 4 - 8 years under the Oga before venturing out on their own.

I do agree that it can be taught, but not at these 2-day seminars which I call shortcut to wealth seminar.

1 Like

Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by honeric01(m): 3:58pm On Feb 28, 2013
There's nothing that can not be taught or learnt including entrepreneurship.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by 1000COMPUTERZ(m): 3:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
NO !!!

AM AN ENTREPRENEUR !
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
@Norahk, you BB PIN is not correct.

@OP entrepreneurship can both be innate, hereditary and taught.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by spyder880(m): 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
tony1980: Some people are born great,some people achieve greatness and some people have greatness thrust upon them.My dear,entrepreneurship can equally be learnt.

That's my opinion also.

1 Like

Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by sylve11: 4:21pm On Feb 28, 2013
@ I can feel u on the hereditary thing. It runs in some blood! cool
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by sunnshyn(f): 4:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
Who is an Entrepreneur?
An entrepreneur is one who searches for change, responds to it and exploits opportunities. Innovation is a specific tool of an entrepreneur hence an effective entrepreneur converts a source into a resource - Peter Drucker

What is Entrepreneurship?
Entrepreneurship is the act and art of being an entrepreneur or one who undertakes innovations or introducing new things, finance and business acumen in an effort to transform innovations into economic goods. - Wikipedia

From the definitions above, I'd say in my opinion that entrepreneurship can be learnt. Everyone and anyone can be an entrepreneur, but not everyone can be a successful entrepreneur.It takes a person with natural/inborn traits to be a TRULY successful entrepreneur.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by iyke10: 4:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Omerian Consult: Recently the world over, there has been a glut in the number of institutions seeking to teach entrepreneurship. I however believe that entrepreneurship is an innate trait which individuals often manifest at a tender age. It could even be hereditary! As such I believe that entrepreneurship can never be taught, only that salient complementary skills such as finance and marketing could be imparted into business-inclined individuals. What do you think?

Asking if Entrepreneurship can be taught is like asking if being an employee can be taught.

An entrepreneur is defined as one who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business or enterprise

This means that ANYONE who can meet that criteria is an entrepreneur (irrespective of how big your business is).Being and entrepreneur is not something one is born with just as you are not born to be an employee.

The reason why most people are employees is because thats the training school gives. If you are trained right from primary school to be an entrepreneur, you will be one. At any point you can decide to start training yourself to become an entrepreneur

In the early days, the means of exchange was trade by barter. Everyone had was an entreprenur.

The problem most people have is that they jump into entrepreneuship without getting the right kind of training or mindset that is needed to be a successful one. If you spent years in school to be an employee, doesnt it also make sens to spend years learning how to be an entrepreneur
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
Entrepreneurship is developed not acquired because if u r a born entrepreneur u can only achieve it when u learn n develop it.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Philolos: 4:57pm On Feb 28, 2013

@OP, open your mind. Anything can be taught. You can say the same thing for language, sex, friendship, leadership, religion, character, etc. A person taught entrepreneurship may not be cut out for it but may end up being more successful at it than a raw talent. Talent without curing and taming is always and mostly wasted. Sports are not different. With the amount of talent we once had in football in the country, we could never consistently compete with our well taught and trained western counterparts. You can also look at the West. Bill Gates is a natural coder (or programmer) that outwits his so-called MBA run companies the likes of IBM to get Microsoft to where it is today. So many successful athletes that used their talents to gain wealth and fame are now good businessmen and women.

@OP, I believe if you open your mind, you can still be taught a thing or two. If you think you know it all and you are all that, you need to get your ego in check. That's what it is, all ego.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by DDNICE: 5:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju: As an Igbo boy, I will say yes!!

Alot of the enterprenuers in Anambra State actualy learnt the craft of their trades at the hands of an 'Oga'.. They spend about 4 - 8 years under the Oga before venturing out on their own.

I do agree that it can be taught, but not at these 2-day seminars which I call shortcut to wealth seminar.
u are absolutely correct
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Philolos: 5:02pm On Feb 28, 2013
Timothy Ozovehe: Entrpreneurship is not for everyone but that does not mean it can not be thought. It can be thought to only those who already have the potential to be an entrepreneur. For example the Rich dad company own by Robert kiyosaki the author of Rich dad poor Dad does that. I have read many of his books and they have greatly increased my entrepreneurship abilities and skills. Though entrepreneurship is something that runs in my family. I believe I picked it up from my Mum.

Anything can be taught. However, how good the person becomes is up to the individual. If your argument holds true then we shouldn't bother with having a high literacy rate in the country because some or most are not cut out for it. Not true my friend.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Philolos: 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
dvdon: Entrepreneurship is developed not acquired because if u r a born entrepreneur u can only achieve it when u learn n develop it.

If we carry on with this type of shallow thinking, we would not be able to build world-class businesses.
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by osifred(m): 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
Some are born great
Others had greatness entrust on them
Yet others learn to great

..Osifred

In relation to post

Some are born entreprenuer
Others had entreprenuerial skill entrust on them
Yet others learn to be entreprenuer
Re: Can Entrepreneurship Be Truly Taught? by Philolos: 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
tony1980: Some people are born great,some people achieve greatness and some people have greatness thrust upon them.My dear,entrepreneurship can equally be learnt.

I agree. Anything can be taught.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youths Get Business Start- Up Funds At Entrepreneurship Summit In Abuja / How To Become A Dealer Of Wax Textile / Ten Problems Facing Business In Nigeria .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.