Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting (24110 Views)

The Advantage Of Having A Strong Personal Network When Job Hunting / My Funny Job Hunting Experience / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Etemma1(m): 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2013
I came across this article about the mistakes a lot of applicants make when they apply for Jobs nowadays, especially graduates. I really think you guys should check it out. By the way, here are some of the mistakes. This is so true!

Funky Emails – Even though your email does not guarantee the possibility of getting the employers attention, but you don’t want to take a chance. Some email addresses sound so childish and unprofessional. For instance, lollypopbaby25@blabla.com, steve4uandme@blablabla.com, do not sound professional. Register a new email. It’s free. Something like this is nice, Grace.Agbero@blabla.com or ChikeAdamu@blabla.com.

Sent From My Blackberry – Ask many employers, they will tell you how disappointed they were each time they received CVs in their email that simply says “I’m interested.” or “This is my CV.” And below it you see, ‘Sent from my blackberry’. Common grow up! This is very disrespectful. It also shows you are not matured and very unprofessional. What does it take to say something about yourself in the body of the mail and address your employer well?

Telephone Contacts – If possible, include two phone contacts in your CV just to be on the safer side. And for the love of God, kindly unsubscribe from those reggae, gospel, hip hop and traditional dance tones. Remember you are not the only one applying for this job so you should do everything right to get it.

Family As References – Some applicants are so funny that references on their resumes share the same surnames as theirs. You can’t expect your parents, siblings or cousins to speak ill of you to an intending employer. Afterall, they all want you to get a job.

Omitting Internship Experience – We have seen fresh graduates who deliberately leave out internship work experience on their resumes. Keep it all there in a simple manner. Some employers do not care about what sort of job you have done before, but your understanding of a work environment.

Background Checks – Before your employer do a background check on you, it would be wise to go online, type your name on google and see what comes out. No employer want to associate with touty personalities. This is a good time to untag yourself from silly pictures on facebook, delete those abusive tweets on twitter, delete unruly comments by you on forums and watch what you share on the social media.

Confidentiality – Employers can trick you with their questions to say something ill about your past employer (maybe during internship). Please be very positive about everyone that has ever had an encounter with you. If possible tell them “I cannot disclose so much because of the confidentiality on my past contract letter.”

http://jobfinder.com.ng/blog/2013/02/26/7-common-mistakes-of-fresh-graduate-applicants/

37 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Zi: 6:16pm On Feb 27, 2013
I'm guilty of No 2 angry
But pls understand that for most job seekers (including my humble self), blackberry is actually the cheapest mode of internet connection especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 8:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
Zi: I'm guilty of No 2 angry
But pls understand that for most job seekers (including my humble self), blackberry is actually the cheapest mode of internet connection especially in Nigeria.

Try and change the signature

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Zi: 8:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
eimuhb:

Try and change the signature

Tell me how, please.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 9:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
Zi:

Tell me how, please.

Navigate to the Home screen on your BlackBerry. Click "Messages."
Press the "Menu" button. Click "Options." Click "Email Account Management."
Click the email account you want to remove the signature from and click "Edit."
Clear the "Sent from BlackBerry" text. Press the "Menu" key. Click "Save."

Let me know wassup.

30 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Afokeoghen: 9:13pm On Feb 27, 2013
@ZI
Hi, many of us are guilty of it. You may just have to clear the default signature on email.
I just did.
@poster- thank you for that useful info.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by dljbd1(m): 9:31pm On Feb 27, 2013
Awesome! Thank God am on track...
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 9:34pm On Feb 27, 2013
Nice one,bookmarked.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by momodub: 9:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Nice one
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Akpaife(m): 9:35pm On Feb 27, 2013
Etemma1: I came across this article about the mistakes a lot of applicants make when they apply for Jobs nowadays, especially graduates. I really think you guys should check it out. By the way, here are some of the mistakes. This is so true!

Funky Emails – Even though your email does not guarantee the possibility of getting the employers attention, but you don’t want to take a chance. Some email addresses sound so childish and unprofessional. For instance, lollypopbaby25@blabla.com, steve4uandme@blablabla.com, do not sound professional. Register a new email. It’s free. Something like this is nice, Grace.Agbero@blabla.com or ChikeAdamu@blabla.com.

Sent From My Blackberry – Ask many employers, they will tell you how disappointed they were each time they received CVs in their email that simply says “I’m interested.” or “This is my CV.” And below it you see, ‘Sent from my blackberry’. Common grow up! This is very disrespectful. It also shows you are not matured and very unprofessional. What does it take to say something about yourself in the body of the mail and address your employer well?

Telephone Contacts – If possible, include two phone contacts in your CV just to be on the safer side. And for the love of God, kindly unsubscribe from those reggae, gospel, hip hop and traditional dance tones. Remember you are not the only one applying for this job so you should do everything right to get it.

Family As References – Some applicants are so funny that references on their resumes share the same surnames as theirs. You can’t expect your parents, siblings or cousins to speak ill of you to an intending employer. Afterall, they all want you to get a job.

Omitting Internship Experience – We have seen fresh graduates who deliberately leave out internship work experience on their resumes. Keep it all there in a simple manner. Some employers do not care about what sort of job you have done before, but your understanding of a work environment.

Background Checks – Before your employer do a background check on you, it would be wise to go online, type your name on google and see what comes out. No employer want to associate with touty personalities. This is a good time to untag yourself from silly pictures on facebook, delete those abusive tweets on twitter, delete unruly comments by you on forums and watch what you share on the social media.

Confidentiality – Employers can trick you with their questions to say something ill about your past employer (maybe during internship). Please be very positive about everyone that has ever had an encounter with you. If possible tell them “I cannot disclose so much because of the confidentiality on my past contract letter.”

http://jobfinder.com.ng/blog/2013/02/26/7-common-mistakes-of-fresh-graduate-applicants/
I am nt looking 4 job next topic abeg
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by spicyp(f): 9:36pm On Feb 27, 2013
Very educative...thanks alot
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by kristana(f): 9:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
I'l note that!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Its only in naija that this shyt applies. Abroad who give a fvck if it is "sent from blackberry" or you have a funky email address?

Till tomorrow i still use my email address which is my (name + my favorite rock band) and I still get called for interviews on a regular.

Abegi! Work nor dey naija thatt's why all this shyt applies to weed out a vast majority.

Sad country cry

7 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Encoredme(m): 9:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for bringing this out as most people especially fresh graduates are ignorant of some of these little things that matter a lot...especially the last point. I heard employers now check one's timeline on FB before considering a person for a job. So be careful y'all! I just wonder the fate of people that have their nude pics leaked or sextape#justsaying
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by hammedkola(m): 9:44pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:

But you don't need to quote the whole story...

14 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Encoredme(m): 9:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:

You quoted the whole post just to write that? How sick!

5 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Kelvinsonelly: 9:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thks 4 d info.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 9:50pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:

[quote author=Encoredme]

very sick! grin
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Dygeasy(m): 9:51pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:
hediot or shediot.. Whichever you are, you'd be called DUM FUK by a chinese man.

3 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eimuhb(f): 9:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:

[quote author=Encoredme]

very sick! grin
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Dygeasy(m): 9:53pm On Feb 27, 2013
hammedkola:

But you don't need to quote the whole story...
and you too, is that a story?
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by eklassical(m): 9:54pm On Feb 27, 2013
Noted**
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by dapotemi: 9:54pm On Feb 27, 2013
Good and timely!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by positiveowo: 9:56pm On Feb 27, 2013
cool...good to know....gud info!
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by misreal(m): 10:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
pDude: Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Its only in naija that this shyt applies. Abroad who give a fvck if it is "sent from blackberry" or you have a funky email address?

Till tomorrow i still use my email address which is my (name + my favorite rock band) and I still get called for interviews on a regular.

Abegi! Work nor dey naija thatt's why all this shyt applies to weed out a vast majority.

Sad country cry

dey is work in nigeria bt nigerian graduates r nt well trained.....like it or nt...

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:02pm On Feb 27, 2013
Nice points
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by nikkypearl(f): 10:08pm On Feb 27, 2013
Etemma1: I came across this article about the mistakes a lot of applicants make when they apply for Jobs nowadays, especially graduates. I really think you guys should check it out. By the way, here are some of the mistakes. This is so true!

Buhari &Tinubu meet in kaduna
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by skyp(m): 10:09pm On Feb 27, 2013
It is because there arn't job dats why these nonsense can b an excuse for not getting job xxxx....

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 27, 2013
pDude: Rubbish!! angry angry angry angry angry

Sad country cry

Lols, somehow true sha. Gots ta weed out the shaft any which ways possible.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
Thank You very much for this tips...am grateful.
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2013
skyp: It is because there arn't job dats why these nonsense can b an excuse for not getting job xxxx....

God bless you and all you own. I go buy you hummer jeep cheesy
Re: Common Mistakes By Graduates When Job-Hunting by begwong: 10:13pm On Feb 27, 2013
Akpa ife:
true talk.who says yr Corpse bathing job need to meet d above criteria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria / IBTC Chartered Bank Is Recruiting! / When You're Asked To Log In Into Your Facebook Account During A Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.