Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,752 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). (27328 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / Point Of Laying Snails For Start-up And Baby Snails For Rearing / Agama Lizard Breeding, Rearing And Hunting For Starters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 10:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
I have any quantity you want. Fulica achatina is the best breed for commercial snail farming which has proven to be a mine of wealth to those who have discovered it in this our dear country,Nigeria, and are doing it while laboring under correct knowledge. (luck). They produce well and grow bigger than any other snail. It is truly the west african giant snail. It weighs heavily too and is very rugged. We export too. All our baby fulicas have been raised under captivity and given the right amount of calcium to ensure continous growth. Cal me on 08073122596. Am in lagos.

Edited:
Please the best to start your farms with is breeders,not babies. Fulic is also good,but not the best among the achatinas.

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 10:21am On Feb 28, 2013
Stil available
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 3:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
Pls we dnt do samples. If you are in abroad and want it sent to you,you have to pay for the sample and shipping. If you r around lagos,cal me and let me direct you on where to come nd see them.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 10:46am On Mar 01, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Pls we dnt do samples. If you are in abroad and want it sent to you,you have to pay for the sample and shipping. If you r around lagos,cal me and let me direct you on where to come nd see them.

i am about to expand my operations, but i have never handled A.fulica so can you pls furnish me with the following,
1. advantages of A.Fulica over A. Maginnata?
2. types of feed and frequency of feeding the snails?
3. rate of reproduction? numba of clutches & sizes?
4. pix of the snails on the site in your farm?
5. your farm or office location? once we agree on price i intend to pick up the base stock ASAP
6. do u offer after sales service or advice /consultation?
7. any other info as may be deemed necessary?

thanks
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 4:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
2baga:

i am about to expand my operations, but i have never handled A.fulica so can you pls furnish me with the following,
5. your farm or office location? once we agree on price i intend to pick up the base stock ASAP

thanks
this is an open forum so you may use my email seyiphoto@gmail.com or 07033070000
waiting.....
i will send you a detailed mail now.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 5:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
2baga:

thanks
this is an open forum so you may use my email seyiphoto@gmail.com or 07033070000
waiting.....
1. Fulicas grow bigger in lenght than marginata, which means they weigh better. And they are more rugged and easy to adapt than marginata.
2. They feed on what every other snail eats, like fresh leaves, fruits and a good source of calcium,evryday. I will get back on good sources of calcium for most of us snail farmers in Nigeria.
3.they can mate once and lay eggs continously for up to 5years and above. They are good semen savers. They become sexually active from 6months and lay eggs in clutches after a long period of mating. Their eggs enter into 400 in one lay. You see why its the best specie of snail for commercial farmers.
4. I am just a passionate snail farmer. I do nt consult but share ideas and experiences with interested persons. I wil see if i can upload the pictures. I already told you am in abule egba. I also already told you my price per baby fulica. I wil get back to you on ma xperiences wit getting a good source of calcium for them apart from cuttlebone which is not readily available to us here in Nigeria unlike our counterparts abroad. A fulica deprived of calciun is like saying to it 'i sentence you to death by hanging'. Lol.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 8:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
The hatchery

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 11:23am On Mar 03, 2013
I tried a lot of things to supplement the calcium my snails get evryday apart from the one from the soil. I tried boiled egg shell by removin the inside layer and crushing. They hardly ate it. I went to the market and got limestone (nzu in igbo). I washed it an broke it for them and placed it ,they ate it bt not much. I later discovered a better way. When changing the soil,i grind the limestone to powder and mix wit d soil before placing them. (note that its necessary to change the soil once in two month). That way,while eatin the soil,they take it in. I noticed their shell getting stronger and more polished.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by cybereagle: 12:50pm On Mar 05, 2013
Hi Afrocatalyst,

If you can help to provide more information, I would be grateful. Please give answers to these questions by replying to: babs_o@hotmail.com

a)Have you exported these snails before? I am asking this particular question as someone told me that Fulica Achatina, or any of the West African snails do not sell that well, especially in the USA. Can you shed more light on this?
b)How many snails can you sell at once?
c)Would you be willing to offer paid consultation?
d)How long have you been a snails farmer?
e)Are you able to help source for a farm for the purposes of rearing snails?
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 2:37pm On Mar 05, 2013
cybereagle: Hi Afrocatalyst,

If you can help to provide more information, I would be grateful. Please give answers to these questions by replying to: babs_o@hotmail.com

a)Have you exported these snails before? I am asking this particular question as someone told me that Fulica Achatina, or any of the West African snails do not sell that well, especially in the USA. Can you shed more light on this?
b)How many snails can you sell at once?
c)Would you be willing to offer paid consultation?
d)How long have you been a snails farmer?
e)Are you able to help source for a farm for the purposes of rearing snails?

thank you for your response. It is nt true that giant west african snails do nt sell in the USA. The truth is that they have restricted its farming and raw exportation to the USA. The reason being that it smells badly when there is mass mortality of the animals,so their environmental enforcement banned its importation. Meanwhile,it can be sold there when the meat is processed. Hope you know different ways the meat can be processed? Besides,it pays more when processed cos you get to cash in on other parts of it like the shell and gel,ie assuming you have clients in that respect. Though i have nt exported snails before,i plan to do so soon and wil update as soon as its done.
B. Every sales is determined by demand.
C. If you so desire
d. Less than two years now.
E. If you so desire. I wil also construct your snaileries for you in a standard way so that it wil be protected from invaders,one of which is termites.
I hope i have been able to answer your questions.

3 Likes

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
@ Afrocatalyst,
for the baby fulica, what sort of pens would you advice one to go for that will best suit the optimum growth and safety of the little ones as they will require more care and feeding at the on set?
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 5:05pm On Mar 05, 2013
2baga: @ Afrocatalyst,
for the baby fulica, what sort of pens would you advice one to go for that will best suit the optimum growth and safety of the little ones as they will require more care and feeding at the on set?
the standard pen for matured snails should be such that can be constructed in a way that the snails will nt be overcrowded. One square meter half filled with loamy soil per 15 matured snails. Overcrowding affects their productivity and growth. Besides, when overcrowded,their slimes increase,which isnt good for them,thus the more reason to clean your snailery everyday.
Now for baby snails,a pen should be constructed for them. A square meter pen can take up to 400 to 500 baby snails and should be constructed in such a way that termites and other invaders cannot come in. Baby fulicas should be kept away from sunlight as it kills them,so where the pen wil be kept should be free from sunlight. Again, they should be fed evryday by sunset, say 6pm. I advise nt to put drinking water for baby fulicas as they might drown. Instead go to and PET bottle seller,buy one with the spray gun,(its cheap) make sure you dnt use it for any other purpose apart frm puttin clean untreated water to spray on the baby fulicas every evenin during feedin. Warnin... Never spray them in d mornin as that wil bring them out and expose them to sunlight which wil kill them. All these can be done in 30mins evryday. That is all they need from you- CARE.
Hope you now see why your snailery can only be where the farmer resides. For me, my big snails that i grow to maturity are in my farm in atan ota bt my baby fulicas and marginatas stay wit me where i live. That way i can monitor them well. I can easily take care of the big ones once in a week bt nt so wit the babies.
Summary of everyday routine:
1. Open the snailery and clean it by removin any leftover food and clean the walls of their slimes. Snails love to be clean. I even bath them once in a while.
2. Put their food in.
3. Spray them wit clean untreated water.
4. Close and leave cos they hate to be disturbed.

3 Likes

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by specialeagle(f): 8:21am On Mar 06, 2013
I like this thread, Afrocatalyst pls can you send the necessary info including the price per snail and delivery (to phc) to my inbox @ ugomajohn@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 8:55am On Mar 06, 2013
specialeagle: I like this thread, Afrocatalyst pls can you send the necessary info including the price per snail and delivery (to phc) to my inbox @ ugomajohn@gmail.com

Thanks
ugoma thanks for the response. I wil get back to you soon.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 11:43am On Mar 08, 2013
specialeagle: I like this thread, Afrocatalyst pls can you send the necessary info including the price per snail and delivery (to phc) to my inbox @ ugomajohn@gmail.com

Thanks
it costs 20naira per baby fulica and they wil be sexually active in the next 6months. You can even sell after 12months at 200naira per one. Delivery of baby fulicas by waybill is very delicate because of heat. So i can only talk to d driver to assure their safety. They wil be delivered in a plastic bowl that wil be half filled with black soil and covered with mosquito net to prevent them escaping. The delivery charge depends on the quantity you are buying. Bt know that your pen must be ready before their arrival and when they arrive,transfer them to their pen in the EVENING ONLY. I await your call. 08073122596.

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2013
Another way to complement their calcium source that i just discovered is to go to your local pharmacy and get pure calcium tablets with no additive. They are cheap. Drop one tablet everyday into the spray mist you use on them daily. Shake well to make sure its dissolved and spray on them and their food. They absorb it thru their skintand eat it also thru their food. The reasn i emphasize a lot abt calcium for snails is that next to their food,it is d next most important thing to them,DAILY. It is even so more important for baby snails.

2 Likes

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 10:02am On Mar 11, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Another way to complement their calcium source that i just discovered is to go to your local pharmacy and get pure calcium tablets with no additive. They are cheap. Drop one tablet everyday into the spray mist you use on them daily. Shake well to make sure its dissolved and spray on them and their food. They absorb it thru their skintand eat it also thru their food. The reasn i emphasize a lot abt calcium for snails is that next to their food,it is d next most important thing to them,DAILY. It is even so more important for baby snails.

@Afrocatalyst: I will need to retrieve my line, I misplaced my phone late on Saturday, so there was no way for me to reach out to you on sunday, even the abule egba address is on the phone too,
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 6:24pm On Mar 11, 2013
2baga:

@Afrocatalyst: I will need to retrieve my line, I misplaced my phone late on Saturday, so there was no way for me to reach out to you on sunday, even the abule egba address is on the phone too,
ok then. Let me have your new line.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 8:58pm On Mar 12, 2013
Change your soil every two weeks if you are using a pen or pens. Though nt so if you are practising free range.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 10:58am On Mar 13, 2013
This is how I make sure my snail pen is free of termites. When changingt my substrate(soil),I first spread it outside so sun heats it. There is no insect harmful to snails that can survive that condition. In the evenin,when the sun is down,I set it in the pen and spray clean untreated water on it before puttin in my snails. This is the case wen I get my substrate from the bush. Again,your pen should be built in such a way as to make it impossible for termites and ants to crawl into. There is cool money in snail farming cos you dnt spend much. You might spend 40k and in two years you make 500k. TruÉ›. This is because you dnt spend to feed them,all they need from you is CARE. Can you give it?

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 11:54am On Mar 15, 2013
Afrocatalyst: This is how I make sure my snail pen is free of termites. When changingt my substrate(soil),I first spread it outside so sun heats it. There is no insect harmful to snails that can survive that condition. In the evenin,when the sun is down,I set it in the pen and spray clean untreated water on it before puttin in my snails. This is the case wen I get my substrate from the bush. Again,your pen should be built in such a way as to make it impossible for termites and ants to crawl into. There is cool money in snail farming cos you dnt spend much. You might spend 40k and in two years you make 500k. TruÉ›. This is because you dnt spend to feed them,all they need from you is CARE. Can you give it?

At last I get you, my oga if you know the king of stress network pple are dashing out to the public all in the name of lost sim card retrieval.
Its beta imagined than experienced.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 11:10am On Mar 17, 2013
I learnt smetin new recently,thankx to 2baga who came and gave me some insights on marginata. Marginatas are also a very good breed cos of their muscular size though nt alwayz as long as fulicas. I am considering cross breeding both. But I dnt knw how yet. That wil surely give a gr8 result. I now wil start takin my marginatas serious bt fulicas remain my best til I get a hybrid of both. Guess am greedy and want it all in snail farming. Well,I must make at least 100million naira from snail farming in the next 4yrs mininum. Cheers pals.

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 9:19am On Mar 18, 2013
Afrocatalyst: I learnt smetin new recently,thankx to 2baga who came and gave me some insights on marginata. Marginatas are also a very good breed cos of their muscular size though nt alwayz as long as fulicas. I am considering cross breeding both. But I dnt knw how yet. That wil surely give a gr8 result. I now wil start takin my marginatas serious bt fulicas remain my best til I get a hybrid of both. Guess am greedy and want it all in snail farming. Well,I must make at least 100million naira from snail farming in the next 4yrs mininum. Cheers pals.

Big bros no just try bribe me with that complement o.
What I want is a share of that 100million naira transaction big hit from snail-farm, I'm not greedy I dont need the lion share, the elephant or hippopotamus share is ok for me.

But really, the exotic breed of A. marginatas from cameroon (dark skinned) is an improved variant and just 2 pieces can weigh up to 1kg. I think its a market that is worthwhile tapping into.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 9:26am On Mar 18, 2013
My baby A. Fulicas are doing great, they quite active and feed well, I wish I have one of those universal remote controls to speed them up to like 6-8 months ahead, waoh what a thought.

I think I should start preparing another bigger pen 'cos they move around alot and in order not stunt their growth pattern they need more space.

@Afrocatalyst: Sir I'm so grateful for all your help and assistance. You are for real bro
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 7:40pm On Mar 18, 2013
Tanx 2baga. You also inspired me. How do we get the cameroon hybrid now?

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 1:26am On Mar 20, 2013
Its raining season again this year,which also is growing season for snails. Get yours today. 08073122596
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by 2baga(m): 7:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Tanx 2baga. You also inspired me. How do we get the cameroon hybrid now?

@ Afrocatalyst my chairman I hail o. d exotic & improved variants are sourced from cameroon, my contact person is supposed to travel soon, hopefully b4 d month ends d snails will roll into town.

1 Like

Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 9:12pm On Mar 22, 2013
2baga:

@ Afrocatalyst my chairman I hail o. d exotic & improved variants are sourced from cameroon, my contact person is supposed to travel soon, hopefully b4 d month ends d snails will roll into town.
i will be grateful if informed when it arrives. Tanx a lot bro.
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by miqos02(m): 4:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
@afrocatalyst

thank you for this tips, i never knew this thread existed. pls if i want to start with 50snails, what will be the dimension of the pen, and how do i source for food
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 6:51pm On Mar 25, 2013
miqos02: @afrocatalyst

thank you for this tips, i never knew this thread existed. pls if i want to start with 50snails, what will be the dimension of the pen, and how do i source for food
the size of pen for big snails are different from baby snails. Which one in particular is thn 50?
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by Afrocatalyst: 6:52pm On Mar 25, 2013
miqos02: @afrocatalyst

the size of pen for big snails are different from baby snails. Which one in particular is the 50?
Re: Baby Snails For Starters (fulica Achatina). by miqos02(m): 10:58am On Mar 26, 2013
@afroca: i mean baby snails, how do i source for their food, i know they eat cocoa leaves and come fruits but are there feeds that boost their growth?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Opinion: Immediate Solution To Tomato Scarcity / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / Growing Red Corn With Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.