Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

Despite All Odds - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Despite All Odds (127478 Views)

Despite All Odds - (An Interesting Story) / AGAINST ALL ODDS By Akpem Terese Shadrach. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Despite All Odds by princesa(f): 10:28am On Aug 27, 2013
she dey do virtuous woman for naija, na when she see her load outside she go soji grin
Re: Despite All Odds by Melancholy(m): 3:58pm On Aug 27, 2013
princesa: she dey do virtuous woman for naija, na when she see her load outside she go soji grin
Confam!
Re: Despite All Odds by BukkyDan(f): 6:59pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sasha caressed her flat stomach soothingly, if not for anything to appease the 'witches an wizards' feasting on her stomach wall. She rolled her eyes as she heard Kemi laughing across the room, as usual everybody's chit-chatting and laughing their 'hearts' out, all she could do was manage a smile.

That wasn't hunger or menstrual pain or anything related to it, the pain she's feeling is one she's become so used to-that its become part and parcel of her. It came once or twice every month and stays on for few hours each time it 'visited' . At such times, she would remain mute, cos if she dared talk too much; she'd end up coughing out her internal organs.
Its been like that all her life, no one knew about it not even Kenny or her parents, she was good at keeping such secrets- if not for anything but for fear of hospital and its 'applications'. If her family were good observers, they'd have known, because of how sweaty she becomes and how she trembled each time she tried to talk.

"Sassy what's up nah? You've been staring at the ceiling since, or are you missing Joyce already?" Kenny asked with a half smile.

Sasha simply smiled and lowered her eyes.

"don't worry o, we'll be going back home tomorrow, sho gbo?" Ashley joined the joke.

"ehn, she can go. atleast Kenny promised to stay back." Kemi teased

"that's good to know." Sasha croaked wiping her sweaty palms on her skirt, before proceeding to flick away some sweat trickling down her face.

"awww...she've got a frog in her throat." Tunji laughed.
"and don't tell me you're sweating in an 'air-conditioned' room o" he added.

"lockie...you're alright?" Kenny asked looking concerned as Sasha rose to her feet.

"I have a cough." Sasha croaked, walking steadily to the hall way.

"Cough? How comes?" Kenny followed her.

"Better follow your wife and beg her not to fall sick o." Tunji called after them.

Kenny leaned against the wall, hand folded across his chest, as he watched his best friend and 'sister'; lay on her stomach, eyes shut and lips pursed. All wasn't well, he knew that. This wasn't the first time he's seeing her do that, maybe it's one of her numerous 'attitudes'.

"You're gonna tell me what's up now." he stated.

"Kenny, leave me. I'm just fine" she whispered.

"No way!" he shook his head.
"What kinda attitude are you putting up? This isn't the first time you're doing this, each time you just go on saying you have a cough? What sort of cough is it that come up more than twelve times a year?"

Sasha continued in her position, he should bring the whole building down if he could, he isn't going to get her tell it out.

"Com'n Sassy...its me Kenny, when did we start having secrets we keep from each other?" Kenny asked in a low voice.

"I'm fine!" she snapped.

"But..." Kenny stopped halfway, when he saw her sped towards the toilet.
"Sassy?" he followed her in.

There she was clutching onto her stomach whilst coughing continuously.

"Sorry..." he patted her back till she stopped coughing.

Sasha sighed, as she walked out of the toilet, she felt some kind of relief sweep over her; the pains died away, even her seat palms became void of moisture.
That was it! She mused, she should be expecting it after some weeks again.

"you need some tablets for cold." Kenny noted sitting beside her.

"Yea doc." Sasha smiled, her voice back to normal, the croaky sound gone.

"thank me later." he winked.

"I told I was fine, you didn't believe me."

"Why should I? When you're just sweating like what I don't know." Kenny mused.

"Sasha! Kenny! Come over here, a chinese movie is on!" Tunji's voice rang in from the living room.

"Yea baby...its my kung fu! Wu cha!" Sasha said excitedly hopping out of the room.

Kenny kept staring at the doorway, mouth opened. That surely wasn't the girl he saw wrigling like an earthworm few minutes ago. There's more to all that drama, something Sasha had never told him about. But why would she keep anything that strange from him?

"Kenny! Come and see...its Jackie chan starring Jet Li o!" Sasha called out excitedly.

Shaking his head from side to side, he dragged his feet to the living room. She's a strange being he concluded.
Re: Despite All Odds by BukkyDan(f): 7:06pm On Aug 27, 2013
Another round of appreciation goes to my swt@'s. Luv ya'al @Luckygal,ninja, Damex# just a dot abi? You try# , Sis HBG# smile now haba, that frown's gonna scare me# ,

lol@april, shugar, nazzy, rhazur, mrvocal,protable,cheese,funny, macdelene,lirusehn,emerald,Adisa,Degraze, princesa, melancholy...

Luv ya loadz...thanks once again. God bless ya'al
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hahahaha.. Lol @Sasha
I bin dey fear sey where she get bellesmiley
Kushe jare bukky
Re: Despite All Odds by funnysaint(m): 9:30pm On Aug 27, 2013
my dear bk, ur story aways interest me. i Like the way u put the story line and the suspence is wonderful. can't Wait to watch shasha confront her mother. updating right . . . . . .
Re: Despite All Odds by RAREGEMife: 12:30am On Aug 28, 2013
as much as i like twists in stories,abeg Sasha should nt die o
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 5:16am On Aug 28, 2013
Bukky it dint take me a minute 2 finish dis update na....Cud u pweeesh try nd make d nxt one longer?
Re: Despite All Odds by Lilprocess(m): 3:00pm On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Despite All Odds by Dusha94(f): 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
sasha!!.....y is she hiding it na,well i just hope its nt sumthin very serz.....

More ink to ur pen sissmiley....i dey ur back!!
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2013
No mind my dot jawe, i av my reason sha. But is my sasha a deity? No way. I will help her my way.
Re: Despite All Odds by adisa204(m): 7:09am On Aug 29, 2013
Sasha is hiding a mosquito in her cupboard abi.......hmmmmm I know something
Re: Despite All Odds by ninja4life(m): 9:38pm On Aug 29, 2013
Hmm hope sasha no get serious health problem o.anyway nice update but short o after waiting for long na.
Re: Despite All Odds by Evysweet(f): 10:58am On Aug 30, 2013
Pls finish ur sweet story nah
Re: Despite All Odds by MsPweshy(f): 11:24am On Aug 30, 2013
Evysweet: Pls finish ur sweet story nah
sad i don't know ooo..nice story tho wink
Re: Despite All Odds by BukkyDan(f): 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2013
Gasping for air; Joyce struggled back to reality from her Dreamland.

"It was a dream..." she continued to pant heavily.

Yet another evil dream? For weeks she'd dread 'sleeping'. It's always two monsters chasing after her, all trying to snuff life out of her.
"who did I offend nah?" she looked around confused.

Its either someone's taken her name to a herbalist or witches are fighting against her- she mused. Managing to sit up amidst pains, she let her eyes travel round the room.

Different sets of baby things hung in different sections, she've spent alot on her unborn child- courtesy Williams. Her unborn child? She caressed her stomach. The child was due delivery, but whatever is stopping it from coming...almost two weeks gone past the normal nine months.
Some people are surely behind her 'condition', - she sighed.

She'd go see a doctor, even if it means her having 'knives' on her, she wants that baby out...she couldn't continue in pains- She thought as she struggled to her feet.

Who knows, maybe the child was scared of coming into a world where he or she won't be valued?

She sighed again, bending to pick the night cap that fell off her head. Just then, she felt the pain she've been expecting for days, her water broke.

Barbra was laughing heartily with her daughter Cassandra, as she chattered like a programmed machine, telling her all sort of jokes; when she heard someone scream.

"Did you hear that?" she asked

"yea..." Cassandra stopped laughing.

The scream came again, startling them.

"mum its in this house." Cassandra jumped looking frightened.

"ah ahn! Whats happening?" Barbra rose to her feet.

"Where's Joyce?"

"Dunno...should be in her room." Cassandra shrugged.

"Somebody help!" Joyce wailed

"oh my God!" Barbra rushed towards the room.

Cassandra took a step but stood back, who was she going to help? Definitely not Joyce.

"Cassie...get me my car keys, we're going to the hospital..." Barbra rushed out of the room carrying a baby basket.

"why?"

"I said ...my car keys! Joyce is in Labour."

"joyce is in labour? So what?" Cassandra eyed her mother.

"Cassie, if truly I gave birth to you, get my keys from the dresser upstairs." Barbra snarled before dashing back to Joyce.

"lord have mercy on my mother!" Cassandra mumbled agrily as she went to get the keys.

"mum...like seriously? This woman hypnotised you or what?" Cassandra asked in disbelief as she watched her mother help the wailing Joyce out of the house.

"shut your big mouth! Bring that basket along!" Barbra shouted at her daughter who picked up the basket grumbling.

"Sassy...see you later in the evening." Kenny waved, as Sasha walked towards her home, waving back at them as the Cab sped away.

"Mallam, good af'noon." Sasha greeted the gateman who seemed pleased to see her.

"small madam! I welcome o." the gateman tried to collect her bag.

"no...nevermind thanks." she smiled
"mum's home?"

"No everybody I don comot."

"Even Cassie?" she asked.

"everybody! Cassie I comot na for madam motor."

"okay thanks." Sasha replied- disappointed.

Nobody's home to welcome her from the 'journey', not even a welcome hug for doing so well in her post-utme.- she sulked kicking the footmat. Picking the keys, she opened the door...even Joyce wasn't home? She hissed.

"Thank God o, for a wonderful journey. Welcome back to your father's house." she welcomed her self, throwing her bag to the floor. Walking briskly to the kitchen, she began to outline what and what she'd eat.

"To start with.." she smiled opening the fridge. She grabbed a bottle of water and started to gulp it down. Her eyes caught something on the burner.

"Chicken stew?" her eyes shone, as grabbed a plate and started offloading the chicken.

"Ope o! God said I shouldn't die of hunger." she sang happily.

She lifted a chicken lap to her lips, her hands froze, her lips chattered.
Those demons in her stomach were at it again- she mused washing her rembling hands.
She wiped the sweat already trickling down her face, her legs trembled under her weight.

"Not again." she croaked, as she layed down on the tiled Kitchen floor.
Her head felt turgid, she could smell blood, she swallowed hard to prevent it from coming up her throat.
Her teeth continued to chatter as her wet palms caressed her stomach.

"Ease up...pleeease" she croaked.
She felt a movement in her chest, it was coming up faster than she could control...she vomited blood.

She cringed at the sight of her own blood. She struggled to a kneeling position, her body continued to tremble.

"kenny..." was all she could mutter , and everything blacked out.
Re: Despite All Odds by BukkyDan(f): 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
Thanks alot @ Candis,Funny, raregen,vickii,lil,dusha,Damex,Adisa,ninja,evy,mspweshy....luv ya loadz

next update loading::::::::::::50%
Re: Despite All Odds by babyzai(f): 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2013
Wats wrong wit Sasha,i hope its notin serious o
Re: Despite All Odds by Luckygurl(f): 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hmmm, so it seems Sashaa has been sick all this while.
Waiting to see how dis would unfold.
Re: Despite All Odds by funnysaint(m): 4:47pm On Aug 30, 2013
Bk, i can't stop thanking and appreciating God for giving u wisdom. ur story line is wonderful and thrilling. More wisdom to u and plenty mb to ur lapi. more Update pleeeeeeeez
Re: Despite All Odds by Ariyke: 5:02pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hmm sasha pls don't die o
Bukky welldone as usualkiss
Re: Despite All Odds by BukkyDan(f): 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2013
"chacha!" Kola bounced into the living room, excitement written all over his face. He just learnt from the gateman that his 'darling' sister's back, they all missed her- gone were the days when they hate having her around.

"Sassy lockie..." he called out again dumping his school back on the centre table.

"Sasha?" his voice turned low as he saw her bag on the floor. He dashed to her room- the door was locked, he ran to cassandra's room,then to his mother's, no sign of Sasha. Was she playing hide and seek? No way! Sasha won't do that.
He walked back to the living room, his eyes scanned the room- the curtains to the dining section wasn't in place

"gotcha!" he said excitedly rushing to the dining section, he looked around;then tiptoed to the kitchen.

"Sash..." he froze at the door eyes popping out.
The sight before him made him scream.

"Sasha..." he whispered covering his mouth.

"what happened to you?" he knelt beside her.
He screamed again at the sight of blood trickling out her mouth.
"What did you do to yourself?" he whispered, shaking her.

"Mummy! Mum...Sasha has killed her self o!" he wailed hugging his unconcious sister.

He turned sharply when he heard something beeped.

He grabbed Sasha's phone
"Hello?" he whispered.

"Hey Sassy...called to tell you I'm com..." Kenny started to say

"it aint Sasha, its Kola."

"Awww...k-boy, what's up where's sassy?"

"Kenny, I'm in trouble, we're in trouble, Sasha is unconcious...If not yet dead." Kola sobbed.

"What?" Kenny screamed from the other end.

The line went dead.

"Sasha, please hold on...." Kola rocked her body, while going through her contacts.

"Hello...Dada mi? Am i dreaming? You're calling my number?" Williams teased.

"Daddy...its Kola, dad...come home..now...i said now! Sasha is...is..."

"Kola? Whats wrong over there?" williams asked.

"Daddy please come now." Kola continued to sob letting the phone drop.
He lifted her face, wiping off the blood from her mouth- he pressed his face against hers, maybe he could resuscitate her.

" so Doctor? Is she okay?" Kenny sprang to his feet as a White doctor emerged from the room;where they took Sasha's body to,earlier in a stretcher.

"Ermm...Mr Williams?" Doctor Andrea searched their faces.

"Yes?" Williams rose to his feet.

"I gather she's your daughter?"

"Yes she is! Could you go on please?" Ashley snapped, pushing Kola's sleeping head off her chest, lifting herself from the waiting chair.

"Can I have a word with you- Mr Williams in private please" the doctor ignored her.
"Its confidential..."

"Just say on doctor, we're one family." Williams urged in a weak voice.

"For how long has she been ill?" Andrea asked.

"She didn't show any sign of illness..." Williams replied, glancing at Kenny who nodded.

"Not any atall?"

"just some mild cough and sweaty palms." Kenny replied.

"Okay," the doctor sighed.

"I hate to tell you this...but...the whole thing is complicated, the chances are slim...very slim." Andrea shook his head
"She has what we call..."

"Save the wretched name and tell us what to be done for her to be okay." Kenny stamped his foot, the man was taking all the whole day to talk.

"she's on life support now, if you so will, we'd put her on a 'life flight' to India tomorrow morning." Andrea replied, walking away briskly with kenny Williams following him closely- so they could finish up the discussion.

"and I wonder where the mother disappeared to?" Ashley Complained, punching her phone.

"where on earth are you?" Ashley spoke into her phone angrily.

"at the hospital, Joyce is in labour" barbra replied calmly from the other end.

And your own child is dying-Ashley almost snapped.
"would you come over the general hospital now? There's a serious issue here."

"But I can't leave Joyce like that..."

"Maybe you'd leave her when you hear Sasha's in a coma." Ashley stated wiping away tears.

"which Sasha?" Barbra asked.

"How many Sasha did you give birth to?" Ashley hissed ending the call. Her sister was as irritating as whatsit.

"Is Sasha awake now?" Kola asked rubbing his sleepy eyes.

Ashley simply shook her head.

"But she's going to wake up right?"

"I don't know! Kola leave me!" Ashley snapped walking into the room where her neice lay.

"Sorry..." she whispered to the nurses in the room.

Seeing the tubes and wires going in and out her neice, made her sob uncontrollably. She ran out of the room, into the waiting arms of Williams, she wailed in a loud voice.

"She'll be fine." Williams assured her- atleast after donating one of his kidneys.
Re: Despite All Odds by Flow11(f): 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2013
my God,this so sad..Sasha isnt going to die ,is she?....bukky too much suspence na..ha...u wan cause hangover ooo
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
Sasha can't die, am laying down my kidney too.
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
Sasha can't die, am laying down one of my kidney too.

2 Likes

Re: Despite All Odds by gandyluv(f): 7:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
bk ur such a darlin,,,evritin is movin as expected....hp sasha ll b 5n
Re: Despite All Odds by rhazur(m): 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
Bukky no allow he sef sick o.........u beta write say sasha don well or else....**ti o ba fe ni oku eyan lorun**
Re: Despite All Odds by Dusha94(f): 9:31pm On Aug 30, 2013
sadsasha:....*grabs handkerchief and sobs*,pls dnt leave us ooo.
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
Sasha me
*cleans tears*
sad
Re: Despite All Odds by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 30, 2013
Oh! My dearest sasha,watz wrong pls talk 2 ur 2nd kenny *sobs*
Re: Despite All Odds by shugarry(f): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
cry cryPlease don't let sasha die please*Sobs*
Re: Despite All Odds by adisa204(m): 11:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
Hmmmm!haaaa!!ohhhh!!!just came back from my baba alagbo place now from the village,I brought confirm concortion for sasha to drink.*hands it over to bukky,bukky my dear oya give it to sasha*.nothing must happen to my sasha ohhhh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

TWIST OF FATE By Olanrewaju Mobolaji / <<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> / Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.