Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? (38141 Views)

Best Fruit Drink For This Season(zobocola) / Shark Energy Drink For Sale / What Special Food And Drink For Birthday Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by supereagle(m): 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2017
ayotoyin:
Please, i want to know how healthy are all this fruity drinks like Bobo, Ribena etc for kids,i noticed that mothers are fond of packing all these drinks along with food for our kids to school everyday, is it really an healthy thing to be taking them everyday?
Thanks.
I have stopped giving my children even noddles no one eats in my house. Go natural don't give your children diabetes and cancer. A word is enough for the wise. Remember that made in Nigeria drinks were banned from entering UK.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by supereagle(m): 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2017
femi4:
Ribena is better. Apart from Ribena and lucozade boost, I can't vouch for others

Lucozade kini? forget. The benzoic acid content is high.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Mofpearl: 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2017
Natural drink is always a better and healthier option in my opinion. This is for both adults and kids.

Fresh fruit juice, yogurt and water.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by VindicatedTee(m): 4:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
testes:
Kindly check the back of these drinks, you will see the constituents... undecided

But,do you think they wrote all the ingredients used in processing these drinks?
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
`
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by thonyokun(m): 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
deepwater:
Op, I think the kids are just lucky few to have their drinks packed up and approved by NAFDAC et al

Please check the packs to know if the appropriate authorities have licensed those stuffs

During my time, we never had such luxury,
the only drink we knew was "condense" and orange crush.

We had orange crush once a year, every new year day and it was five kids to share a bottle of 35cl liquid content only, thereafter comes the war to know who owns the bottle Cork (e don tail wey girls begin fight for cork) grin

For those who don't know what condense is, it is that colorful liquid made of "only God knows" tied up into a white synthetic polymer made of aliphatic or semi-aromatic polyamides (Nylon) and kept in the freezer till it changes its state of matter from liquid to solid ice block and when you bite it, it makes a sound like kaaiinn!! grin

Funny enough, kids with black currant juice like ribenna would still be begging us our sweet condense undecided
Please how deep is your water?
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 4:14pm On Jul 15, 2017
lonelydora:
Chai....God bless this Op. This topic came right on time.

My children drink Ribena on daily basis at school. I asked my wife two days ago about the health implication, she couldn't give any meaningful answer. I suggested we package fruits like Apple, banana, pineapple, but she said No, that they may throw it around before eating it, maybe probably getting dirty. Well, na God hand my kids dey shaa.
seriously, it all depends on how we parents package the home made juices. I have 2 years old daughter who doesnt take any of this because I never made it a part of her drinks. get fancy bottles, they will love it and aswell get used to it.

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by ArcGibson(m): 4:23pm On Jul 15, 2017
JBoy9:
I beg to differ, there's nothing absolutely wrong with giving children Bobo and other fruit drinks. Apart from sugar which is massively required by and easily burnt down by their system Bobo contains milk and yoghurt wich is part of the essential daily nutritional intake by the children. Same goes for Ribbena which contains blackcurrant .Blackcurrant is a good source of vitamin C which boosts the children immune systems

Moderation is the keyword here

You get it. Sugar is required for the development of the brain as well but in a very very moderate quantity. It must not be too high and it must not be too low but must be moderate. Too much of everything is bad and always causes defect in one way or the other. It is always better to place kids on something natural without any form of additives be it sugar or colouring and if you want to add preferably honey. The amounts of sugar that found in most of the fruits is the moderate one than all these processed junk drinks we have nowadays. We have APPLE, BANANA, ORANGE, PINEAPPLE, NATURAL BLACKCURRANT, and the likes which is you know. It is always better to run away from all these processed drinks as much as possible and replace them with something natural then you will noticed how smart your kids are in terms of rate of assimilation and percentage of IQ. What kids take is very very important when small cause it always tell when they are grown up. I find Yourght and Ribena to be regularly taken very good as such but I so much dislike Bobo though if they can reduce their sugar content. But try to replace them with natural fruits . It always help in brain development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by DonaTee(f): 4:29pm On Jul 15, 2017
sallyopy:
They are not in anyway healthy for them because they are flavor drinks which contain mainly sugar and other synthetic additives. Home made juices are advisable if well processed and package.

I agree with you. But how do u keep d homemade juices frm going sour after long hours? Especially when they are going to school.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 4:31pm On Jul 15, 2017
lonelydora:

Smoothies? We tried it for some days, but my kids got tired of it within 3 days.
make varieties, allow them to participate in d making, let them pick Fruitsof their choice, make juices. And above all be determined not to give them those drinks , they will get used to it.

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 4:34pm On Jul 15, 2017
DonaTee:

I agree with you. But how do u keep d homemade juices frm going sour after long hours? Especially when they are going to school.
u can pasturise on low heat and then force cool. Like that it can be stored in the fridge and last for some days
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Eldinot4(m): 4:37pm On Jul 15, 2017
dbynonetwork:
I too want to know..
Only lazy mothers would keep packing these chemically processed drinks for little kids when we have our natural drinks like ZOBO DRINK, KUNU, FURA 'd' NUNU etc.
Strike kunu out, my pri.5 teacher once told me it blunts the brain and makes children duller, i made research and found same applies to drinks made from grains.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2017
JBoy9:
I beg to differ, there's nothing absolutely wrong with giving children Bobo and other fruit drinks. Apart from sugar which is massively required by and easily burnt down by their system Bobo contains milk and yoghurt wich is part of the essential daily nutritional intake by the children. Same goes for Ribbena which contains blackcurrant .Blackcurrant is a good source of vitamin C which boosts the children immune systems

Moderation is the keyword here
I am sorry to say that Bobo does not contain milk or yoghurt but milk flavor and the black currant in ribina is also a synthetic flavor additives
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Wisebisho: 4:40pm On Jul 15, 2017
They are not good to health. Not children alone but everybody.. People only take it because of the taste. It's full of sugar and coloured: not good to be consumed on daily basis... Please if its not natural: its not good for health.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by soflygerian(m): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
Papiikush:
They contain a lot of harmful chemicals for Lil kids. The sugar level is also extreme for a kid.
Children and sugar are 5n6, more like fuel to run there ever demanding horse power
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by DonaTee(f): 5:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
sallyopy:
u can pasturise on low heat and then force cool. Like that it can be stored in the fridge and last for some days

what type of containers can be used to paturize? I prefer glass. I have a 4yr old obviously I ll pour d juice into his sippy cup when he leaves for school 7.30. Can dis stay fresh in say 4 5 hours?

at home we take smoothies n other natural drinks
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 5:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
DonaTee:

what type of containers can be used to paturize? I prefer glass. I have a 4yr old obviously I ll pour d juice into his sippy cup when he leaves for school 7.30. Can dis stay fresh in say 4 5 hours?

at home we take smoothies n other natural drinks
after d heat treatment, just keep in a nice plastic or stainless bottle, allow to cool down in a bowl of water. It can last for two or four days in a refrigerator.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 5:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
DonaTee:

our mode of preparation​ also matters
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by kendraloops(f): 5:21pm On Jul 15, 2017
I don't think they're healthy. they shouldn't be given to kids daily. once or twice a week is okay.

I used to give my son all these ribena and co to school daily but I noticed he was always ill. every term, he must fall ill sha.

thankfully, a teacher in his school started preparing fruit salad for sale in the school (very neat, clean, I checked very well) and I switched over to that immediately. he takes the salad from Monday to Friday then he can take his ribena weekends.

by God's grace, he hasn't fallen ill in over a year since we started this new system. so please, dear parents, let's do the best for our kids. minimise their consumption of these sugary stuff, doesn't help them in the long run.

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by DonaTee(f): 5:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
sallyopy:
after d heat treatment, just keep in a nice plastic or stainless bottle, allow to cool down in a bowl of water. It can last for two or four days in a refrigerator.

thanks. I still worry if pastuerising will denature some vitamins and co factors.
I ll try it. Thank you
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by davibid: 5:43pm On Jul 15, 2017
lonelydora:
Chai....God bless this Op. This topic came right on time.

My children drink Ribena on daily basis at school. I asked my wife two days ago about the health implication, she couldn't give any meaningful answer. I suggested we package fruits like Apple, banana, pineapple, but she said No, that they may throw it around before eating it, maybe probably getting dirty. Well, na God hand my kids dey shaa.

Na God as you said but there is nothing wrong in being inquisitive about what your kids take in, it's our duty as parents to look out for their well being

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by lonelydora: 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2017
sallyopy:
make varieties, allow them to participate in d making, let them pick Fruitsof their choice, make juices. And above all be determined not to give them those drinks , they will get used to it.

They normally participate in the making but after much, they won't want to drink it.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by lonelydora: 5:48pm On Jul 15, 2017
sallyopy:
seriously, it all depends on how we parents package the home made juices. I have 2 years old daughter who doesnt take any of this because I never made it a part of her drinks. get fancy bottles, they will love it and aswell get used to it.

My sister, nothing we we never try ooooo. But they are trying to accept it gradually. We give them 3 days interval. If we make it daily, they won't take it.

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 5:51pm On Jul 15, 2017
lonelydora:

My sister, nothing we we never try ooooo. But they are trying to accept it gradually. We give them 3 days interval. If we make it daily, they won't take it.
it's a matter of time

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Alennsar(f): 5:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
Mofpearl:
Natural drink is always a better and healthier option in my opinion. This is for both adults and kids.

Fresh fruit juice, yogurt and water.

seconded seriously I don't like anything with artificial sugar. even sugar itself cos its affect me a lot but natural ones don't.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 5:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
lonelydora:

They normally participate in the making but after much, they won't want to drink it.
they will get used to it. Just ignore them when they asked​ for junks

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by sallyopy(f): 5:56pm On Jul 15, 2017
DonaTee:

thanks. I still worry if pastuerising will denature some vitamins and co factors.
I ll try it. Thank you
if u want to keep for more longer period, then u need to pasturise to prevent fermentation.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by emmanuelpopson(m): 6:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
its unhealthy for kids so also adults... i used to work at the import cargo section of the airport and I saw a lot of these chemicals coming into the country.. they are mostly flavors which are not natural fruits.. imagine a gallon of pineapple flavor used to produced a thousand litres of pineapple juice..we are to inculcate natural foods into our menu..

1 Like

Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Kbels(f): 9:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
uzobaby:
As a kid I took Ribena and I don't have any defect whatsoever. .the key thing is moderation. .and I know working class parents will not always have time to make natural juice. .however a child's diet should not be solely ready made food..balance up with natural food
Ribena is an excellent source of Vit. C because of the blackcurrant concentrate its made of' and is way more healthy than most of what's obtainable nowadays. But like you said, moderation is key.
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by medexico(m): 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
COvo:
They're not the healthiest of drinks and neither are they harmful to kids.
As long as they don't take too much to upset their tummy they're fine.
Nobody should come here and start saying they contain harmful chemicals,that's nonsense.

Are you a bobo staff?
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by rsalami(f): 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
deepwater:
Op, I think the kids are just lucky few to have their drinks packed up and approved by NAFDAC et al

Please check the packs to know if the appropriate authorities have licensed those stuffs

During my time, we never had such luxury, the only drink we knew was "condense" and orange crush.

We had orange crush once a year, every new year day and it was five kids to share a bottle of 35cl liquid content only, thereafter comes the war to know who owns the bottle Cork (e don tail wey girls begin fight for cork) grin

For those who don't know what condense is, it is that colorful liquid made of "only God knows" tied up into a white synthetic polymer made of aliphatic or semi-aromatic polyamides (Nylon) and kept in the freezer till it changes its state of matter from liquid to solid ice block and when you bite it, it makes a sound like kaaiinn!! grin

Funny enough, kids with black currant juice like ribenna would still be begging us our sweet condense undecided
such a great comment it brought back some memories
Re: How Healthy Is Bobo Drink For Kids? by Platony(m): 10:20pm On Jul 15, 2017
The little i knw abt it is, it mks my kids to cough after consumption. I prefer caprisonne for dem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Fix An Oversalted Meal / New Whatsapp Group For Chefs (already In The Industry Or Intending To) / Oha Soup For Better In-laws (pics & video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.