Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus (97502 Views)

See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Should Africans Who Became U.S Citizens Vote For Barack Obama ? / The Africans Who Fought In WWII (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Rossikk(m): 12:40pm On Mar 02, 2013
ekt_bear: Anyway this is a cool thread. Much more interesting than the usual tonto dike crap that usually makes the front page.
Right now there are at least two threads there on Nicki Minaj's plastic surgery and Kim Kardasian's latest antics. But they won't post this thread on the fp.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by ektbear: 12:41pm On Mar 02, 2013
Word on the street is that Seun is boning Tonto Dike. Hence all the threads about her on the front page.

Those are the terms of their quid pro quo
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by pleep(m): 1:45pm On Mar 02, 2013
word on the street is that seun is g.. shocked

cool
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by birdman(m): 5:55pm On Mar 02, 2013
ekt_bear: Word on the street is that Seun is boning Tonto Dike. Hence all the threads about her on the front page.

Those are the terms of their quid pro quo

ahhh....wouldnt it be funny if this actually makes it into newspapers.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Wadeoye(m): 8:05pm On Mar 02, 2013
How are we sure we were not dumped in this malaria infested continent by the racists in America?
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by TheBookWorm: 8:11pm On Mar 02, 2013
Even though it is highly plausible that some Africans did arrive in South America prior to Columbus discovering America, I doubt they had much of an impact on the Pre-Colombian societies such as the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans. And I highly doubt that had impact on the ancient Olmecs of present day Mexico. The Olmec statues probably depicted members of their society, albeit highly exaggerated features. We can even see these highly exergerated features in the artwork of many African societies.

However, I wont discount the fact that seafaring African vessels may have been blown off path and landed in Central or South America. If Europeans can say that there was a European presence (Vikings) in North America before Columbus discovered America, why can't it be an African presence as well?
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 02, 2013
TheBookWorm: Even though it is highly plausible that some Africans did arrive in South America prior to Columbus discovering America, I doubt they had much of an impact on the Pre-Colombian societies such as the Aztecs, Incas and Mayans.

If black Africans say from Ancient Egypt or Nubia arrived the Americas 3000 years ago, they would likely have been the impetus behind the pyramid building that occurred there shortly thereafter.. And such mighty construction coincided with the arrival of the first Olmecs, so there's precious little basis for your "'doubting''.

However, I wont discount the fact that seafaring African vessels may have been blown off path and landed in Central or South America. If Europeans can say that there was a European presence (Vikings) in North America before Columbus discovered America, why can't it be an African presence as well?

I dispute this ''they may have been blown off course and landed in America'' line. It is based on prejudice. How do we know they didn't have access to maps or some sort of navigational aid or plans? Just because they were Africans doesn't mean they didn't know what they were doing. You do realise the African Sahel was a renowned center of education as early as the 10th century?
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by naijaking1: 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2013
الملكي فوق الله: The Black Man, who is self assured, confident, And Secure in his Own Greatness, does not need Propaganda Like this

The Statement's are Misleading...

Finish the Sentence.....

Africans were the First in history to do...................

[size=30pt].......EVERYTHING....... [/size]

It's a Genetic TimeLine Loophole, in which Propagandist on one Side try to use as an Instrument to Uplift

Unfortunately....the Statement is Misleading, And Actually has no "Greatness" of Merit To Be Honest

But to fool the Sheep, You try your Best.

The Wise over the Weak My Friend...... wink

Tell me more about How Lebron James Failed to Perform as Well as Magic During the 1980s. grin

Don't know what to call you, Mr. arabian garbage
Arabs, no doubt see themselves as better than than the blackman at every turn, from Egypt to sudan, to Nigeria. So, your point of view is not totally surprising, what is surprising is that despite a paucity of facts from your write-ups, you have decided to make fun of the hardwork and research done by others. You have been brainwashed and blinded by religous and ethnic colored glasses that you can't keep it straight. Can you look for a better example to counter Rossike, Please!

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by TheBookWorm: 10:56pm On Mar 02, 2013
ROSSIKE:
If black Africans say from Ancient Egypt or Nubia arrived the Americas 3000 years ago, they would likely have been the impetus behind the pyramid building that occurred there shortly thereafter.. And such mighty construction coincided with the arrival of the first Olmecs, so there's precious little basis for your "'doubting''.

The Olmecs developed their own pyramids, just like the pyramids found off the coast of Japan and in China were influenced by the groups that lived there. These were indigenous inventions and I think it would be arrogant of you to say that Africans influenced them, just like it is arrogant of Europeans to say they influenced other cultures when they did not.

ROSSIKE:
I dispute this ''they may have been blown off course and landed in America'' line. It is based on prejudice. How do we know they didn't have access to maps or some sort of navigational aid or plans? Just because they were Africans doesn't mean they didn't know what they were doing. You do realise the African Sahel was a renowned center of education as early as the 10th century?

You can dispute it, but it doesn't make it not plausible that a ship from the Ghana or Mali Empire was blown off its path. The fact remains that we simply do not know if there was an African presence in the Americas, because we were not there. There could have been an African presence prior to the Columbus era or it may not have been. No one can say for certain and neither can you.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by naijaking1: 12:23am On Mar 03, 2013
^^^^^
No headache at all. There could have been a West African influence on pre-Columbian America, or there might not have been. No problems. Anyway you want it, you get.
We already know that, this thread is for people who feel and know one way or another with facts
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 03, 2013
TheBookWorm:

The Olmecs developed their own pyramids, just like the pyramids found off the coast of Japan and in China were influenced by the groups that lived there. These were indigenous inventions and I think it would be arrogant of you to say that Africans influenced them, just like it is arrogant of Europeans to say they influenced other cultures when they did not.

Sorry but it's not quite that simple. And your logic is typical layman reasoning showing poor grasp of the subject. There is no reason to suppose that far-flung people independently began erecting pyramids, least of all the Aztecs and Mayan, who were pre-literate tribal societies little different from hunter gatherers before the arrival of the Olmecs suddenly transformed them into a literate religious civilization building huge temples and pyramids. The Olmecs ARE credited by scholars with bringing that 'sudden' transformation to the Americas, if you've read the history.

There was a globalised religious culture which came to give rise to the pyramid building epochs, and as the world's oldest pyramids are found in Africa, ie Sudan and Egypt, it only makes sense that the pyramid culture was initially driven by migrating Africans, who introduced their religion and cultural practices, and their great learning, to far-flung regions. Just like the Europeans brought the Church-building culture to Africa later on. In fact that this was the case is reflected in the depictions of the ancient gods by various peoples - the Chinese Buddha was black in original renditions, as was the Indian god Krishna. Mary was initially depicted as a black woman. Black madonna images still abound in many European churches. The original 'Mary' was Isis, the black goddess of Africa. Isis was worshipped throughout Europe in addition to Africa.

“All the gods and goddesses of Greece were black,” asserts Sir Godfrey Higgins, “at least this was the case with Jupiter, Baccus, Hercules, Apollo, Ammon. The goddesses Benum, Isis, Hecate, Diana, Juno, Metis, Ceres, Cybele were black.” (Anacalypsis, Vol. I, Book IV, Chap. I.)

Africans were truly pioneers thousands of years ago. The minute you get that into your head, all the scales fall off your eyes.

There's more:

''Even the Romans, who received their religion mainly from the Greeks, admitted their debt to Egypt and Ethiopia. This may be well illustrated by the following passage from The Golden Ass or Metamorphosis, by Apuleius. The author, as an initiate of the Isis cult is represented as being addressed by that goddess: “I am present; I who am Nature, the parent of things, queen of all the elements, the primitive Phrygians called me Pressimunitica, the mother or the gods; the native Athenians, Ceropian Minerva; the floating Cyprians, Paphian Venus, the inhabitants of Eleusis, the ancient goddess Ceres. Some again have invoked me as Juno, others as Bellona, others as Hecate, and others Rhamnusia; and those who are enlightened by the emerging rays of the rising sun, the Ethiopians, Ariians and Egyptians, powerful in ancient learning, who reverence by divinity with ceremonies perfectly proper, call me by my true appellation, Queen Isis.” (Doane’s Bible Myths, Note, p. 478.)

A study of the images of ancient deities of both the Old and New Worlds reveal their Ethiopic origin. This is noted by Kenneth R. H. Mackezie in T. A. Buckley’s Cities of the Ancient World, p. 180: “From the wooly texture of the hair, I am inclined to assign to the Buddha of India, the Fuhi of China, the Sommonacom of the Siamese, the Zaha of the Japanese, and the Quetzalcoatl of the Mexicans, the same, and indeed an African, or rather Nubian, origin.”

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-black-gods-ethiopia-and-the-origin-of-civilization-part-4-by-john-g-jackson-1939/comment-page-1/

The fact remains that we simply do not know if there was an African presence in the Americas, because we were not there.

Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. You need to go and read some books, starting with They Came Before Columbus by Dr Ivan Van Sertima. There are numerous DOCUMENTED EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS BY CREDIBLE SOURCES INCLUDING CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS HIMSELF of the presence of WHOLE COMMUNITIES OF AFRICANS in the Americas, prior to his arrival there.

Just because you haven't read this stuff doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or that you can say ''we don't know''. YOU don't know.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by TheBookWorm: 2:14am On Mar 03, 2013
ROSSIKE,

No need to get upset, we are just having a spirited debate. There is no need to insult my reasoning. We simply have different conclusions. And with some of the books you have mentioned, I have read as well and I do not agree with their conclusions. Even though I believe it is highly plausible that Africans did arrive in the Americas prior to Columbus, I do not believe they had much of an impact on the native cultures that you are trying to stress. If they did, shouldn't we have found DNA markers within many indigenous communities that points towards Africa and not the recently enslaved Africans who were brought to the Americas?

And your discussion on the pyramids is simply just one hypothesis that I heard. My very own hypothesis that is shared by many historians from across the world is that indigenous cultures throughout the world created their own pyramids on their own. This was done without the help of anyone. You believe that the presence of pyramids in the Americas is proof that there was an African presence in the Americas and I say that it doesn't seem likely. You even have scholars who believe that people across the globe were taught by visitors from another planet the secret to build pyramids. And I say to all of you that the most logical hypothesis is that these indigenous groups built the pyramids on their own. You can disagree with me, because that is within your right, but all we are doing is asserting our own hypothesis.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by redsun(m): 2:28am On Mar 03, 2013
Out if black came white. There is always an inbred colour if every colour.The Inner shade.

Black man is an enigma,he could be anything.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by cap28: 2:38am On Mar 03, 2013
Rossike -have you seen hidden colours?
its an award winning documentary by some african american scholars, everything you have referred to was analysed and proven in that video, including your post about the olmecs in south america, if you havent seen it make sure you do asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDyNEn-QBw
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Rossikk(m): 11:56am On Mar 03, 2013
Thanks cap28. I'll check it out.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 03, 2013
ROSSIKE:

It's not my job to educate you. Use your own brain and go do some research to add to what you've already learned here.

Not sure what ''proof'' you're demanding. Were those negroid heads discovered in your backyard? Or you didn't click on the source links I posted?

What other 'proof'' are you looking for?
lmaooooooo he means proof like video evidence... Or em.... If by chance you have a time machine, that'll be really helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Rossikk(m): 12:52pm On Mar 03, 2013
kingoflag: lmaooooooo he means proof like video evidence... Or em.... If by chance you have a time machine, that'll be really helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
Lol....
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Rossikk(m): 1:08pm On Mar 03, 2013
TheBookWorm: ROSSIKE,

No need to get upset, we are just having a spirited debate. There is no need to insult my reasoning. We simply have different conclusions. And with some of the books you have mentioned, I have read as well and I do not agree with their conclusions. Even though I believe it is highly plausible that Africans did arrive in the Americas prior to Columbus, I do not believe they had much of an impact on the native cultures that you are trying to stress. If they did, shouldn't we have found DNA markers within many indigenous communities that points towards Africa and not the recently enslaved Africans who were brought to the Americas?

And your discussion on the pyramids is simply just one hypothesis that I heard. My very own hypothesis that is shared by many historians from across the world is that indigenous cultures throughout the world created their own pyramids on their own. This was done without the help of anyone. You believe that the presence of pyramids in the Americas is proof that there was an African presence in the Americas and I say that it doesn't seem likely. You even have scholars who believe that people across the globe were taught by visitors from another planet the secret to build pyramids. And I say to all of you that the most logical hypothesis is that these indigenous groups built the pyramids on their own. You can disagree with me, because that is within your right, but all we are doing is asserting our own hypothesis.
Sorry, but what riled me up was your statement that "we just don't know if they were Africans there because we weren't there."

That is an unacceptable basis to dismiss a historical issue. We can use the same "we weren't there" excuse to dismiss the statement that Abraham Lincoln was a US president. Or that the earth is a sphere. How many of us afterall have been opportuned to board a space shuttle that took us hurtling through the atmosphere and out into space, to view our earthly realm?
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by igbo2011(m): 10:35am On Mar 04, 2013
cap28: Rossike -have you seen hidden colours?
its an award winning documentary by some african american scholars, everything you have referred to was analysed and proven in that video, including your post about the olmecs in south america, if you havent seen it make sure you do asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDyNEn-QBw

Did you see hidden colors 2? It is great too.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by TerryCarr(m): 1:31am On Sep 13, 2013

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 13, 2013
op, don't mind the blacks with slaviish mentality who see nothing good in the black race. Theirs is nothing but brainwashing by the western colonialists. Every true scientist believed that civilisation started in Africa. This mentally slavish Africans think that the Egyptians of ancient history were light skinned and arabs and they don't know that some of the pharoahs were Ethiopian and Nubians. If the history of the jews was not recorded in the bible and geographical landmarks cited these doubrting thomases would be disputing the existence of the israelites today. The black tribes of indian exist today because of the discriminatary cast system that suppresses intermarriage in the caste system in that country.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by na2day(m): 6:44am On Sep 13, 2013
I was watching one of the episodes of the ancient aliens, the Olmec were explained to be visitors from outer space.
I love that series
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Rossikk(m): 7:32am On Sep 13, 2013
TerryCarr:
Dude, anyone can play this game, by juxtaposing a picture of one race with the closest match from another race to make them appear similar. But if you study the core features of the olmec figures, ie noses and lips, they differ from the less pronounced features of those Mexicans you posted.

1 Like

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 13, 2013
Rossike is a blind man, if you're currently living in Africa, just go outside your house and take a look at your glorious african race, tell us how great the black man is.

1 Like

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Alexbond(m): 9:17am On Sep 13, 2013
my deductn is dat black race(negroes) will still go into extinction.cos they proved dat d ancient egyptian are black similar to yorubas in nigeria also ancient chinese are black and now dey said black once dominated America.then a time wil come dat dis negroes mainly Africans n afro-brazilian wil no longer exist in there present locatn.everybody will be either white or yellow.ALL NA EVOLUTION TINZ.frm Gorilla to negro frm negro to yellow to white....
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Boss13: 9:40am On Sep 13, 2013
Well I don't know about all this but I know trade began long time ago between Africans and Asians and early Europeans will cross the sahara deserts to get to down to Egypt and Mali to trade (this is on record). If Civilization started with Africans, it is left for we Africans to prove to the world, nobody will do that for us.

Thanks Rossike for challenging my consciousness this morning. I have a lot of studying to do.

This is front page stuff.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Horus(m): 11:40am On Sep 13, 2013

African Braids on an Olmec head in Mexico. (Olmec heads without a helmet)

[img]http://2.bp..com/-5dZfun9XQvA/URlCZbfwIJI/AAAAAAAAB4M/PB9qZEcGum8/s640/olmecheaduse.jpg[/img]

One of the rare Olmec heads without a helmet. We see the frizzy hair
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by TerryCarr(m): 3:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
niggas have a inferiority complex
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
lol, afrocentric crackpots.

1 Like

Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Boss13: 4:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
If only we could appreciate ourselves and realise within us the potential of our mind. We would achieve great feats that other race would respect. Black people must feel cool within their own skin, appreciate themselves and grow within.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Dibiachukwu: 1:43am On Sep 14, 2013
Those people are hebrews not Africans.
Re: The Africans Who Discovered America Thousands Of Years Before Columbus by Dibiachukwu: 1:44am On Sep 14, 2013
Those people are hebrews not Africans. And their is nothing like Africa. The name Africa is of a roman named something Africanus. Their is Japhet, SCHEM and HAM. Period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Rouhani Assures Soleimani’s Daughter Of Revenge (Photo) / 13 Thailand Boys Trapped In The Cave Are Finally Rescued After 18Days(Photos) / Omar al-Bashir Stoned, Transported Like Cow To Prison (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.