Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? (8684 Views)

Rasheed Adewale-Akanbi Wearing Suit On Throne - Pic / What Is Female Beauty In Your Culture / What Do You Hate About Your Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 12:48am On Mar 04, 2013
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

This feels like deja vu. Like I stated in a recent post, they become traditional clothes or wear because they are worn in a certain way, I.E aso-oke, saris, hanfu, shalwar kameez, diraac, kurta, zuria. e.t.c
Lol. They become traditional clothes when they are treated so, not the way they are worn. If you look closely to make traditional clothes what they are is familiarity and are associated with certain type of group or people in a society. The so branding of clothes being traditional has been over-exagarated in the sense that we are entitled to make it looks out of place where as we are the ones getting odd. The simple reason why I quoted earlier the famous Roman's quote.

There is nothing it takes away from the perception of things but only prove you are different. In the gathering you seem to making yourself look different and strange in this regard. Most of the idea of African traditional sense of clothing comes from Far East and the orient. It is a fact we use this things to over-exaggerated what stand for tradition. Tradition in the modern world is no longer a thing restricted to group of people but to the world culture. The world is becoming bigger than mere clothes to prove a thing to stand different from the other from a traditional perspective.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 12:54am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: Lol. They become traditional clothes when they are treated so, not the way they are worn. If you look closely to make traditional clothes what they are is familiarity and are associated with certain type of group or people in a society. The so branding of clothes being traditional has been over-exagarated in the sense that we are entitled to make it looks out of place where as we are the ones getting odd. The simple reason why I quoted earlier the famous Roman's quote.

There is nothing it takes away from the perception of things but only prove you are different. In the gathering you seem to making yourself look different and strange in this regard. Most of the idea of African traditional sense of clothing comes from Far East and the orient. It is a fact we use this things to over-exaggerated what stand for tradition. Tradition in the modern world is no longer a thing restricted to group of people but to the world culture. The world is becoming bigger than mere clothes to prove a thing to stand different from the other from a traditional perspective.

So to summarize everything into a few words, what you are really trying to say is that; It is wrong to be different, and we should all make it a priority to try to fit in, and wearing what you feel is your traditional clothes makes you "stick out" and look odd, and it comes across as trying to be better than others. Noted.... Quite fascinating.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 1:18am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

So to summarize everything into a few words, what you are really trying to say is that; It is wrong to be different, and we should all make it a priority to try to fit in, and wearing what you feel is your traditional clothes makes you "stick out" and look odd, and it comes across as trying to be better than others. Noted.... Quite fascinating.
No! Not that.You are carrying this sense of what you are wearing as traditional yet without having understanding of the origin and it makes you look odd. To get odd is not the issue but the sense of idea you have about it too. We have seen the consequence of looking odd. Don't tell me it is not having any effect on you already. That traditional clothes are not actually what they are they are just over-exaggerated to be what they are not.

I have one but I would wear it for traditional occasions like the traditional marriage, to add a sense to it. If not wearing it in a community like the one you find yourself all the time is odd.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 1:32am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: No! Not that.You are carrying this sense of what you are wearing as traditional yet without having understanding of the origin and it makes you look odd. To get odd is not the issue but the sense of idea you have about it too. We have seen the consequence of looking odd. Don't tell me it is not having any effect on you already. That traditional clothes are not actually what they are they are just over-exaggerated to be what they are not.

I have on but I would wear it for traditional occasions like the traditional marriage, to add a sense to it. If not wearing it in a community like the one you find yourself all the time is odd.

So because life wouldn't be easy for people because they are different, we should make it a priority to try to fit in. Sorry to break it to you sweetheart, but when you are a foreigner in any place you are automatically different. It all starts with your name, then your accent, then your color, and it goes on and on. I have seen a lot of africans try to change the things that make them different from others, thus makes them a foreigner, you have Nigerians with their original name of chukwuemeka changing it to christopher, because it makes them fit in more.Changing their accents because it makes them sound like everyone else. While in reality trying to fit in and act like everyone else is losing a part of yourself. Why not actually embrace what makes you different, and have others accept you for it than try to fit-in in order to gain acceptance? You had be thinking to yourself what does this have to do with traditional attire? well it all dates back to that "chukwuemeka to christopher" thing again, where people drop what makes them different from others to fit in. Thus you can wear traditional attire in "traditional occassion" but don't have the guts to where it out to a different setting because you are going to get a few odd glances.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 1:39am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

So because life wouldn't be easy for people because they are different, we should make it a priority to try to fit in. Sorry to break it to you sweetheart, but when you are a foreigner in any place you are automatically different. It all starts with your name, then your accent, then your color, and it goes on and on. I have seen a lot of africans try to change the things that make them different from others, thus makes them a foreigner, you have Nigerians with their original name of chukwuemeka changing it to christopher, because it makes them fit in more.Changing their accents because it makes them sound like everyone else. While in reality trying to fit in and act like everyone else is losing a part of yourself. Why not actually embrace what makes you different, and have others accept you for it than try to fit-in in order to gain acceptance? You had be thinking to yourself what does this have to do with traditional attire, well it all dates back to that "chukwuemeka to christophe"r thing again, where people drop what makes them different from others to fit in. Thus you can wear traditional attire in "traditional occassion" but don't have the guts to where it out to a different setting because you are going to get a few odd glances.
Lol... The point you are on about is different. Traditional name are really traditional unlike clothes we called traditional clothes. Even at the expense of your name there is first-hand though of not thinking you are from within not until your name is said. To be odd is not actually the issue but the sense you have about the oddity as in the case of your so called traditional clothes. It is like going to corporate office on bare. The society you are in is totally different and they have their on code of dressing. to be different will definitely attract attention because what you are putting on is odd.

However, you still haven't proved the origin of the traditional clothes you are wearing to me.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 1:51am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: Lol... The point you are on about is different. Traditional name are really traditional unlike clothes we called traditional clothes. Even at the expense of your name there is first-hand though of not thinking you are from within not until your name is said. To be odd is not actually the issue but the sense you have about the oddity as in the case of your so called traditional clothes. It is like going to corporate office on bare. The society you are in is totally different and they have their on code of dressing. to be different will definitely attract attention because what you are putting on is odd.

However, you still haven't proved the origin of the traditional clothes you are wearing to me.

How is it different? It all still has the same concept. If traditional clothing is so "untraditional" then why do people find it difficult to wear it out to a different setting? Honestly it shouldn't be a problem then since it is all clothes Right? Wrong! because you yourself have not telling me the major reason why this traditional clothes are not for "untraditional occasion" And what the hell do you mean by different "code of dressing" , the last time I checked you can dress however you want!, If I wake up tomorrow and i decided to wear my ankara, or my aso oke to work, nobody in their right mind is going to come up to me and tell me to take it off. Would I get a few odd glances, Yes absolutely, but is it because the dressing is odd, Absolutely not! Be honest the only reason you wouldn't wear traditional attires to a different setting is because you will feel uncomfortable to the way people will look at you, and think of you. Not because the clothes are odd, but because the looks you will be getting will be odd. & Why would people give you that look? because the clothes are different. & Why will you feel uncomfortable, because you are embarassed of being different!

And as far as the origin of my traditional clothes, the last time I checked ankaras, aso oke, e.t.c are associated with africans regardless of where they come from. undecided
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 2:17am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

How is it different? It all still has the same concept. If traditional clothing is so "untraditional" then why do people find it difficult to wear it out to a different setting? Honestly it shouldn't be a problem then since it is all clothes Right? Wrong! because you yourself have not telling me the major reason why this traditional clothes are not for "untraditional occasion" And what the hell do you mean by different "code of dressing" , the last time I checked you can dress however you want!, If I wake up tomorrow and i decided to wear my ankara, or my aso oke to work, nobody in their right mind is going to come up to me and tell me to take it off. Would I get a few odd glances, Yes absolutely, but is it because the dressing is odd, Absolutely not! Be honest the only reason you wouldn't wear traditional attires to a different setting is because you will feel uncomfortable to the way people will look at you, and think of you. Not because the clothes are odd, but because the looks you will be getting will be odd. & Why would people give you that look? because the clothes are different. & Why will you feel uncomfortable, because you are embarassed of being different!

And as far as the origin of my traditional clothes, the last time I checked ankaras, aso oke, e.t.c are associated with africans regardless of where they come from. undecided
I said earlier they are meant for traditional occasions. So, let them be for those activities. The actual thing that falls into traditional clothes for Africans ,in the light of defending traditions, is like what Zulu people put on and other of our forefather ritual regalia as originators of the traditions wore then. So, claiming to be traditional about clothes only beat me to the reason why other see it odd in the first place in the church premises in a different society. What do you expect of the people to think at the first instance?

I am not going about being different but the lack of sense about who we are as human beings. We are often times bent on differentiating ourselves from other. Either to prove something or just for mere share of sense of belonging. I think the world still needs to get out of these traditional segregation thing. I think it is only a matter of time.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 2:25am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: I said earlier they are meant for traditional occasions. So, let them be for those activities. The actual thing that falls into traditional clothes for Africans ,in the light of defending traditions, is like what Zulu people put on and other of our forefather ritual regalia as originators of the traditions wore then. So, claiming to be traditional about clothes only beat me to the reason why other see it odd in the first place in the church premises in a different society. What do you expect of the people to think at the first instance?

I am not going about being different but the lack of sense about who we are as human beings. We are often times bent on differentiating ourselves from other. Either to prove something or just for mere share of sense of belonging. I think the world still needs to get out of these traditional segregation thing. I think it is only a matter of time.

LOL @ the zulu attire, as much as I know my ancestors came from Ile-Ife, so i don't know about that zulu stuff. But just one question, why are they only meant for "traditional occassions" if they are as_____ you have said______ "not traditional" to begin with? How you feel about what people think of it, is your own problem. But saying we aren't different is a bit of a stretch, even a blind person knows that we human beings have our differences. It all begins with cultural practices, and it goes on to what part of the world we are from. Saying we have similarities is something, but saying we don't have any differences is like lying to yourself.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

LOL @ the zulu attire, as much as I know my ancestors came from Ile-Ife, so i don't know about that zulu stuff. But just one question, why are they only meant for "traditional occassions" if they are as_____ you have said______ "not traditional" to begin with? How you feel about what people think of it, is your own problem. But saying we aren't different is a bit of a stretch, even a blind person knows that we human beings have our differences. It all begins with cultural practices, and it goes on to what part of the world we are from. Saying we have similarities is something, but saying we don't have any differences is like lying to yourself.
But, I state clearly what qualifies for traditional clothes - like the Zulus,etc. These ones we show around as though they are traditional clothes for the reason they are associated with traditional activities, should be meant for those activities. We are continously begging the question here after pointing to Zulu clothes,etc.

Similarly, you would look at somebody odd coming to your community marriage on corporate suit. Let be sincere with ourselves here.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 2:48am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: But, I state clearly what qualifies for traditional clothes - like the Zulus,etc. These ones we show around as though they are traditional clothes for the reason they are associated with traditional activities, should be meant for those activities. We are continously begging the question here after pointing to Zulu clothes,etc.

Similarly, you would look at somebody odd coming to your community marriage on corporate suit. Let be sincere with ourselves here.

Lol, I feel like you are avoiding my question, I have asked it 2 times now, and you still haven' t give me the answer that covers it. Okay let me remodify it, The ones "we show around" as our traditional clothes, when we (you, not me) know that they are not the legit "traditional" wear do we still wear them to "traditional" occasions?

Yes, people might look at the person in corporate suit as odd, but will they go up to the person and tell them to take it off? I don't think so. And at the end of the day it all comes down to what that PERSON feels about what they are wearing, It will all comes down to if they are comfortable and confident enough to wear a suit to an occasion like that, same goes to someone who is comfortable enough to wear an ankara to work. If you are comfortable and confident enough, you won't feel odd.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Topeedo: 3:03am On Mar 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

is Africa a country or a tribe? are you Egyptian?! talk sense! angry

Africa is just a continent. a white man-defined boundary. other than that, it is nothing.
why are ur posts just so shallow and senseless...start talkin sense abeg
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 3:06am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

Lol, I feel like you are avoiding my question, I have asked it 2 times now, and you still haven' t give me the answer that covers it. Okay let me remodify it, The ones "we show around" as our traditional clothes, when we (you, not me) know that they are not the legit "traditional" wear do we still wear them to "traditional" occasions?

Yes, people might look at the person in corporate suit as odd, but will they go up to the person and tell them to take it off? I don't think so. And at the end of the day it all comes down to what that PERSON feels about what they are wearing, It will all comes down to if they are comfortable and confident enough to wear a suit to an occasion like that, same goes to someone who is comfortable enough to wear an ankara to work. If you are comfortable and confident enough, you won't feel odd.
Lol... You are looking for Yes or No. If that is it, then I say affirmative yes.

People walk up to you in the church never told you to take your so called traditional clothes off. Did they say that to you? In a free society you are allowed freedom to many things but the society has codes of dressing. For you coming with something different will make you look odd. Not only that it points out you are either new or don't know anything about the society.

To cut the story short, although I don know anything about those names you have calling those clothes, it right to learn one or two things about the people you leave with. Oddity is a signal of wanting to be different. To be different in sense of what that means to the world we have seen the consequential effects.

I think it is right to wear your traditional clothes for traditional occasions and move along with what you are part of. This is your generation not your forefathers, man.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 3:20am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: Lol... You are looking for Yes or No. If that is it, then I say affirmative yes.

People walk up to you in the church never told you to take your so called traditional clothes off. Did they say that to you? In a free society you are allowed freedom to many things but the society has codes of dressing. For you coming with something different will make you look odd. Not only that it points out you are either new or don't know anything about the society.

To cut the story short, although I don know anything about those names you have calling those clothes, it right to learn one or two things about the people you leave with. Oddity is a signal of wanting to be different. To be different in sense of what that means to the world we have seen the consequential effects.

I think it is right to wear your traditional clothes for traditional occasions and move along with what you are part of. This is your generation not your forefathers, man.

I wasn't looking for a yes or no answer, I just wanted you to go in depth on your claim on how they are not traditional attire. Which you haven't done. Because we have a freedom to where whatever the heck we want, we are not restricted to dress just one way in a certain place. And just so you know, If you were to wear a traditional clothing to a setting that isn't "traditional" a lot people would give you odd glances, but with every odd glances, there is someone else that will totally admire what it is that you are wearing. Because I know that the few time I wore my ankara to class, I had people tell me how much they liked it, I even had some people ask me for the place they can get it from. Like I stated before there is nothing odd about wearing your traditional attire in public, but it will be odd for a person that feels uncomfortable and embarrassed. Oh & between there is nothing wrong with being different, because if we were all the same, and the world dressed alike and looked alike. This world would be one heck of a boring place. I personally embrace my difference, and allow people to accept me for it. I won't change myself, just because I want to be like everyone else, and want to gain acceptance.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

I wasn't looking for a yes or no answer, I just wanted you to go in depth on your claim on how they are not traditional attire. Which you haven't done. Because we have a freedom to where whatever the heck we want, we are not restricted to dress just one way in a certain place. And just so you know, If you were to wear a traditional clothing to a setting that isn't "traditional" a lot people would give you odd glances, but with every odd glances, there is someone else that will totally admire what it is that you are wearing. Because I know that the few time I wore my ankara to class, I had people tell me how much they liked it, I even had some people ask me for the place they can get it from. Like I stated before there is nothing odd about wearing your traditional attire in public, but it will be odd for a person that feels uncomfortable and embarrassed. Oh & between there is nothing wrong with being different, because if we were all the same, and the world dressed alike and looked alike. This world would be one heck of a boring place. I personally embrace my difference, and allow people to accept me for it. I won't change myself, just because I want to be like everyone else, and want to gain acceptance.
Hahaha... Did I say you should change your way? No. Do you look odd on your traditional clothes to people? Yes. Do you know the origin of what you are attaching so sense of belong or something else as traditional clothes? No. Is it okay to wear traditional clothes every where you go in such society? No. I my trying to make you hate traditions? No. So, there are more Nos to the question that prove why is it not odd than yes. That alone is something to consider when you are defending your traditional clothes in a non-traditional society. Indeed, I think you would do the same of another culture wearing their in your own community.Why? it is because it looks odd to you, even when it looks interesting to others. Would stop you from wearing it? No, it depends on you.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 3:37am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: Hahaha... Did I say you should change your way? No. Do you look odd on your traditional clothes to people? Yes. Do you know the origin of what you are attaching so sense of belong or something else as traditional clothes? No. Is it okay to wear traditional clothes every where you go in such society? No. I my trying to make you hate traditions? No. So, there are more Nos to the question that prove why is it not odd than yes. That alone is something to consider when you are defending your traditional clothes in a non-traditional society. Indeed, I think you would do the same of another culture wearing their in your own community.Why? it is because it looks odd to you, even when it looks interesting to others. Would stop you from wearing it? No, it depends on you.

Exactly my point! Now you see what I'm saying. It will all come down to you! If you want to wear your traditional attire to wherever, no one can tell you not to! That's why traditional attires should not be restricted to just traditional occassions! If you are scared of what people will think of you, or looking different then you will decide not to wear it out. At the end of the day, it is all on the person, and not some "code of dressing" e.t.c
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 3:46am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

Exactly my point! Now you see what I'm saying. It will all come down to you! If you want to wear your traditional attire to wherever, no one can tell you not to! That's why traditional attires should not be restricted to just traditional occassions! If you are scared of what people will think of you, or looking different then you will decide not to wear it out. At the end of the day, it is all on the person, and not some "code of dressing" e.t.c
No! It is not really what I am on about you highlighted in my comment.In many corporate settings and society you are not allowed to wear anything that violate their codes of dressing. That is what I mean right there. Yes, it all depends on you but the society you are in tells a lot about it as well. There is no 100% freedom to everything you are hinting on.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 3:54am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: No! It is not really what I am on about you highlighted in my comment.In many corporate settings and society you are not allowed to wear anything that violate their codes of dressing. That is what I mean right there. Yes, it all depends on you but the society you are in tells a lot about it as well. There is no 100% freedom everything you are hinting on.

And who the hell said that?!?!?? Is this a rule or something, that I don't know about. I want to know who made this ridiculous SHiity rule so I can have a one on one with them. Since I don't see any police officers, or more accurately a fashion police arresting me for wearing my traditional attire, then I'm guessing you are the person that made this law. But for yourself that is. Because I know damn well, people wear whatever the hell they want to wear, because there is 100% freedom when it comes to dressing yourself.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Nobody: 4:00am On Mar 04, 2013
AKobo4urthought:

And who the hell said that?!?!?? Is this a rule or something, that I don't know about. I want to know who made this ridiculous SHiity rule so I can have a one on one with them. Since I don't see any police officers, or more accurately a fashion police arresting me for wearing my traditional attire, then I'm guessing you are the person that made this law. But for yourself that is. Because I know damn well, people wear whatever the hell they want to wear, because there is 100% freedom when it comes to dressing yourself.
That I know of, there is no 100% freedom to everything. It is getting late into the night here.

Nice having some comments with ya!
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by AKobo4urthought: 4:02am On Mar 04, 2013
all4naija: That I know of, there is no 100% freedom to everything. It is getting late into the night here.

Nice having some comments with ya!

Right back at you man, Goodnight. Still disagree with you though.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by ChiSun27(m): 6:48am On Mar 04, 2013
tpia@:
is it mandatory to wear native every single time you go to church?

and you're in a white church for that matter.

attention seeking?

wear native sometimes, wear other clothes at other times, have a balance.

and when you wear native, why get offended when people ask where you're from?

u no de read well abi?

1 Like

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Ayoko007: 6:55am On Mar 04, 2013
ighoosagie:
Christianity has been in African since d begining, u remember how d children of isreal were in Egypt for 430yrs.
I even heard that Jesus was from NASAreth...no ...sorry from NASARawa

1 Like

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by anonimi: 6:56am On Mar 04, 2013
@ OP,

Not necessarily.
And you seem on the right path as you seem to only wear it on Sundays as in not everyday to work, play etc.
The main thing as someone wrote is to know about our culture and history and how to adapt it to the MODERN (not Western) civilised way of doing things.

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Dipwater(m): 7:06am On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ask the Chinese and the Americans why they're selling themselves through any means possible. Also ask jamaicans how thy've managed to sell Ragae to the whole world. Africa cannot be left behind. Our culture and tradition has to be evangelized throughout the world and no one will do it if not Africans themselves. The gains are massive.

Afam maybe when I come back from work we go talk well
Besides jamaicans are africans. If u want to sell africa to the world ,sell ur technology,science,drugs,music etc. The chineses did that and it worked ,most of the chinese I have seen in africa put on global wears and look simple .more than 90 percent of the things we use in nigeria are imported from china .in that sense we can say that they have sold their culture to us

Take note,culture evolves and the new culture now is science and technology. Pls when coming back from. Work 2day pls buy some history books ,broda things have changed we need to move forward
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by daryoor(m): 7:23am On Mar 04, 2013
english = peter
french = pierre
spanish = pedro
yoruba = peteru

iv NEVER as in NEVER seen a person bear the localized version of those bilble personality.

As for me, my culture is never to look wierd, i wont wear ankara where everyone iss wearing suit. Why should i be in italy and stick to nigerian delicacies.

My ideology wont change until snow falls in ekiti or haramatan in new york.

1 Like

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Dipwater(m): 7:26am On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
My argument still stands. If i decide to spell Newcastle with the "T" audible, it's no ones business. English language is revolutionary.

Spelling a word wrongly doesn't make u an african. Its not a matter of deciding to spell things the way u want ,its spelling it the right way. I understand u from another angle tho ,if an ibo man born in nigeria speaks u will know, if a yorubaman speaks u will still know, no matter their level of education and exposure. That is called mother tongue ,it does not give the impression that they did not spell or pronounce it right .thank u

1 Like

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:34am On Mar 04, 2013
Topeedo: why are ur posts just so shallow and senseless...start talkin sense abeg

hey listen here st.upid. if you think my posts are senseless, then provide a correct counter-argument or else just shut up! angry
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by kandiikane(m): 7:50am On Mar 04, 2013
ighoosagie:
Christianity has been in African since d begining, u remember how d children of isreal were in Egypt for 430yrs.

The same way I can say islam was in Africa since the beginning.

Abeg, even if that was the case, the isrealites aren't native to africa. The egyptians worshipped other deities.

1 Like

Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by ckkris: 7:55am On Mar 04, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

hey listen here st.upid. if you think my posts are senseless, then provide a correct counter-argument or else just shut up! angry

Na wa o.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Afam4eva(m): 8:59am On Mar 04, 2013
Dipwater:

Spelling a word wrongly doesn't make u an african. Its not a matter of deciding to spell things the way u want ,its spelling it the right way. I understand u from another angle tho ,if an ibo man born in nigeria speaks u will know, if a yorubaman speaks u will still know, no matter their level of education and exposure. That is called mother tongue ,it does not give the impression that they did not spell or pronounce it right .thank u
The British spell it as "colour" while the Americans spell it as "color". Are you saying the Americans are wrong to spell it differently from the British? In terms of pronunciation, the Americans pronounce the letter "T" as "grin". For instance, FrustraTed is pronounced as "FrustraDed".
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by Afam4eva(m): 9:15am On Mar 04, 2013
Dipwater:

Afam maybe when I come back from work we go talk well
Besides jamaicans are africans. If u want to sell africa to the world ,sell ur technology,science,drugs,music etc. The chineses did that and it worked ,most of the chinese I have seen in africa put on global wears and look simple .more than 90 percent of the things we use in nigeria are imported from china .in that sense we can say that they have sold their culture to us

Take note,culture evolves and the new culture now is science and technology. Pls when coming back from. Work 2day pls buy some history books ,broda things have changed we need to move forward
Whether it's technology, drugs or music that you're selling, it should have a local content. We're still saying the same thing. Chinese drugs are known for one thing. Chinese movies are also known for one thing. That's culture my brother.
Re: Is Wearing Western Clothing Forsaking Your Culture? by jantavanta(m): 10:39am On Mar 04, 2013
kandiikane:

The same way I can say islam was in Africa since the beginning.

Abeg, even if that was the case, the Israelite aren't native to africa. The egyptians worshipped other deities.

Africa is histori-theologically central to the evolution of Judaism, Judeo-Christianity, and Islam.
IS-RA-EL Isis(egyptian goddess) Ra(egyptian sun god like Anyanwu) El(canaanite god).

The Ancient Egyptian deity Aten, imposed by Pharaoh Akhenaten (template for biblical Moses), evolved to Adonai.

Amen(similar to Olodumare), which was temporarily suppressed by Akhenaten in favor of Aten, has become the prayer termination Amen/Amin.

The original Hebrews are simply Africans who left Egypt due to a theological issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Spiritual Meanings Of Alligator Pepper / What Language Is Spoken Often In Your Family? / Nigerian King With The Most Beautiful Palace In Africa Turns 91(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.