Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

MB Consumption On Pc - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / MB Consumption On Pc (2201 Views)

Free Browsing Code (airtel Etisalat & MTN) MB / How To Transfer MB On Glo Newtwork / Now That MTN BIS No Longer Works On PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MB Consumption On Pc by ednut1(m): 8:33am On Mar 02, 2013
jst bot an airtel modem on wednesday nd subcriped for 200mb, under 30 mins it was gone, i guess it was auto updates, nd i disabled most, i den gt bones 200mb under 20 mins it was all gone, is dis normal or is my laptop faulty, note i browse witout pics nd java script nd dont download, so frustrated ere, wat can be eatin dis MB o, pls help
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by nke001: 9:29am On Mar 02, 2013
THE FACT IS THAT 200MB IS TOO SMALL TO BE USED ON PC where most pages is more than 1mb.
Also some browsers dont cache pages thereby reloading whenever you request for previous pages.
Check that all auto updates and download apps are turned off.

Why not go for airtel bis 1Gb @ #1200 or #1400 . It works on pc and other mobile platform

google that.
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by ednut1(m): 11:02am On Mar 02, 2013
kk, or worse still i will go for nit plans den
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by maximale: 10:27pm On Mar 02, 2013
dont even go there, you wont be saving much by disabling images. its most likely your antivirus updating to a new build or window auto-update. Here'a a piece you will find very helpful: how to reduce or control heavy data (megabytes) usage on a Laptop or Desktop PC . You should monitor your data consumption rates under task manager
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by oddy1113: 1:22pm On Mar 06, 2013
Some Internet plans charge you based on web usage instead of having an unlimited amount of usage .

Shanti Dynamite
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by lockheed55(m): 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
very simple. you will need the following...

1. task manager (right click on status bar and then click task manager)
2. networx (a free powerful bandwidth monitor. after installing locate the icon on the status bar and by default, double-clicking it will bring up netstat or simply right-click then click netstat. make sure u minimise all other windows so that u can see it. then click "only established connections" and it will show u programs and services actively connected to the internet)

u should know that programs and services are responsible for those background downloads

now netstat window will show u those background thieves stealing ur hard earned MB, plus some known, wanted programs. u could see something on that list like

chrome
chrome
chrome
chrome
BITS
dnscache

BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service, just like dnscache it also sucks ur MB. or u could notice other strange services

now go to task manager click on services and locate BITS and/or dnscache, note the Description of it (thats the full name)

now go to Start (the windows logo) type services then enter. then locate those services by their description. from there u can choose to stop em and disable them.

normally u should have also done the easier ones IN ADDITION to the above as i expect:

disable image in browser
disable javascript (remember that if u click something and its not going u just have have to enable javascript for that page)
disable all windows update
disable all HP up (oh i use hp, do u use hp)
go to control panel search for "java" and disable update
disable anti-virus autoupdate
when installing a new program make sure u dont choose for it to update automatically
sometimes when u notice some program updating by itself just go to program files, search for the installation folder and open it then scroll down till u see something like adobeupdater.exe for example and DELETE IT! dont worry it wont cause it to stop working

have a virus free pc. plus, ur anti virus should have a firewall, learn how to use it and set it in such a way that if any program tries to access the net it will alert u. u can set it to always block a particular frogram u dont want. this wud take some time to explain

finally, set networx to alert/play a sound u whenever 300 kb has been downloaded or uploaded in the past 1 min

with all the above in place u are sure not to have the madhouse background download kind of pc that keeps stabbing the heart...smooth surfing all the way

hope this helps
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by sexybol(m): 9:05am On Mar 09, 2013
nke001: THE FACT IS THAT 200MB IS TOO SMALL TO BE USED ON PC where most pages is more than 1mb.
Also some browsers dont cache pages thereby reloading whenever you request for previous pages.
Check that all auto updates and download apps are turned off.

Why not go for airtel bis 1Gb @ #1200 or #1400 . It works on pc and other mobile platform

google that.
pls explain how one can use airtel bis to browse.
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by tessyade: 11:19am On Mar 09, 2013
200MB is meant mainly for phone browsing. If you use it on PC, it will be exhausted within a short time. If you must browse on your PC then you should go for higher data, even the 1GB someone suggested may be too small depending on how long you want to stay online and the number of pages you intend visiting.
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by ikechukz(m): 3:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
Had the same problem with my laptop but later found out through resource monitor that it was something named svchost.exe.The svchost consume up to 50mb in 2 mins without me doing anything.I will advice you to download Netbalancer to check what is wasting your subscription and probably change its speed to maybe 0.5kb/s.
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by ednut1(m): 4:35pm On Mar 16, 2013
tanks guys, wat really was eating d mb waas avast, as displayed on resource monitor
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by HeightsKE: 1:03pm On Jan 18
ednut1:
kk,
Dear Ednut1, sorry to bother you with this but please is #3m enough for one to travel to a good country,Canada etc? I am in my late 40s and hell bent on leaving this country.
Thanks
Re: MB Consumption On Pc by ednut1(m): 1:15pm On Jan 18
HeightsKE:

Dear Ednut1, sorry to bother you with this but please is #3m enough for one to travel to a good country,Canada etc? I am in my late 40s and hell bent on leaving this country.
Thanks
no, unless you want to travel via libya or try your luck with visiting visa the claim asylum . The asylum self no guarantees.

(1) (Reply)

Ipad Mini For Sale / Which Data-plan Is The Best House...? / Acer (packard) Easynote TE (760gb/8gb, Intel Dual Core)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.