Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths (651 Views)

LASRRA: Lagos Residents To Collect Permanent Residency Card From Their LGA/LCDAS / RESIDENCY CARD: Ondo Breaks New Ground / Nigeria's First State House, Old Residency, Calabar. [picture]. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by hassymo5(m): 3:44am On Mar 04, 2013
Nigerian youths, under the auspices of Youth Alliance on Constitution Review, have recommended the deletion of sections of the Constitution that recognise indigeneship in order to promote unity across the country. The position of the youth was contained in a memorandum submitted to the National Assembly's committee on the Review of the Constitution. They argued that instead of indigeneship, the National Assembly should include the right of residency in the Constitution. The youth's position read in part, "Indigeneity is a very serious issue affecting the survival of Nigeria as a geopolitical entity. There is a deep attachment of Nigerians to their states of origin, regardless of whether or not they reside there. "The importance of Indigeneity is manifesting in employment, admission into schools and colleges and appointment of people into positions. "What is noticeable in the country is that Indigeneity is placed before national citizenship. Despite constitutional provisions that emphasis the importance and relevance of citizenship, particularly as regards the rights and obligations associated with it, Indigeneity has consistently thwarted citizenship." They also blamed the violence and tensions across the country on the claims of indigenes over non-indigenes. Chairman of the Senate Committee on Constitution Review, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, had assured Nigerians that the views of the different sections of the country would be captured in the draft amendment.
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Nobody: 3:56am On Mar 04, 2013
Then I bet 80% of nigerian will be resident of lagos grin. I remember how many ppl in my village jst wan go lagos when I was in nigeria embarassed
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by hassymo5(m): 4:06am On Mar 04, 2013
Toaskarity: Then I bet 80% of nigerian will be resident of lagos grin. I remember how many ppl in my village jst wan go lagos when I was in nigeria embarassed

but that was before,,,, nowadays nobody want to go to Lagos,,,,,
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Nobody: 5:05am On Mar 04, 2013
hassymo5:

but that was before,,,, nowadays nobody want to go to Lagos,,,,,
That was 2011, I dont think things has change that much.
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by ibide(m): 7:11am On Mar 04, 2013
This youth has nock head or they are learner any exclude delta state from this
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 04, 2013
Even if this is achieved, another monster that will over cloud it will be tribalism.
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 04, 2013
Lol!! I will be Bayelsan in no time.

Oil allocation sweet no be small..

I think wise people will move to where there is oil and start protesting for 80% resource control grin grin grin

All my mai suya and mai kuli.. efrybody I move go Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states. I turn am for indijgin, I fight to control my oil cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Tolexander: 9:08am On Mar 04, 2013
I support the agitation big time.
Indigenship is archaic though traditional and african and shouldn't be applied to politics but should be limited to cultural and traditional settings like kingship.
President Barrack Obama was born in Honolulu in Hawaii and grew up to represent chicago, Illinois in the senate.
George Walker Bush was born in connecticut but raised in Texas and claims texas. All under residency.
I can't imagine having being born in a land, pay all taxes and contribute to the developement of the place, now told i am not qualified to contest for any post in the land.
Though the problem with the residency in nigeria is that it will be abused and cause great disparity in the developement of the nation.
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by Nobody: 9:35am On Mar 04, 2013
i dont like this idea.
Re: Replace Indigeneship With Residency - Youths by qualified(f): 12:36pm On Mar 04, 2013
This idea does not make sense for a growing country like Nigeria. There wil be no consistency, since one can decide to move at any point in time, so the Residency thing keeps changing.
State of Origin remains constant, while Residency changes.

(1) (Reply)

Amala Politics In Ogun State :Mace Smashed, As Two Factions Lay Claim To Speaker / Your First Move If You Were Replace Jonathan ? / GEJ Appoints Bukar Aji As New Head Of Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.