Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? (7858 Views)

Sade Okoya Dazzles For Hello! Nigeria Magazine(photos) / Get The E-publication Of The Federal Government Tender Journal / Setting Up a Cyber-cafe: What Does It Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by egift(m): 7:22am On Mar 04, 2013
If one have a company, what do you need to start to publishing Magazine?

My question is regarding registrations. Also is there any law against giving your magazine out for free? (I was thinking of supporting it with advert placement only, while given it out for free).
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by DonaldYusuf(m): 8:29am On Mar 07, 2013
egift: If one have a company, what do you need to start to publishing Magazine?

My question is regarding registrations. Also is there any law against giving your magazine out for free? (I was thinking of supporting it with advert placement only, while given it out for free).

It doesn't take much. firstly, ensure that your company is registered with CAC; at least as a business name. you can register your Magazine publishing company as a business name and later upgrade it to Limited Liability Company(LLC).
To answer your second question, NO there is no law against giving out your magazine for free.

I want to ask you some questions:
Have you done a feasibility of this proposed business and check it's viability?
Do you know it is tough getting advert placements in a new publication that is not yet known in the market?
What is the nature of the magazine...the subject matter?
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by egift(m): 10:23am On Mar 07, 2013
Donald Yusuf:

It doesn't take much. firstly, ensure that your company is registered with CAC; at least as a business name. you can register your Magazine publishing company as a business name and later upgrade it to Limited Liability Company(LLC).
To answer your second question, NO there is no law against giving out your magazine for free.

Thank you.

Do you know it is tough getting advert placements in a new publication that is not yet known in the market?
Am sure it will sustain since it will sustain publicity for our core services. Any other external ads will be a bonus.

There are two actually, I may merge both anyway:
- A City magazine and ICT
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 12:52pm On Mar 07, 2013
Donald Yusuf:

Hi, are you saying a magazine can be registered as a business name? just yesterday i was at the NCC to make an inquiry about the copyright of a fashion magazine
we are currently working on, the official said they only give Right for intellectual works. and that if i am to register the magazine i must go to Abuja to do the trade mark which runs into about 80K, i was confused. My point/question is can the normal Business registration take care of the magazine for us to start publication without any problem. thanks in advance for your response ASAP. Regards
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by egift(m): 1:59pm On Mar 07, 2013
mikerob116:

My point/question is can the normal Business registration take care of the magazine for us to start publication without any problem. thanks in advance for your response ASAP. Regards

Thanks bro. This exactly what I want to know. Anyone kindly respond.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 2:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
An ISSN is required for magazine publication.

I will try and post the requirements shortly.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 3:13pm On Mar 07, 2013
The ISSN is an eight digit number that uniquely identifies serials globally.

Publishers requesting for ISSN must first verify their title with the ISSN centre before publishing in order to avoid duplication of title and possible litigation from the use of an existing title. Hence, secure a name reservation from the National Library of Nigeria before publishing.

After the name reservation have been secured (with a grace period to use the approved name), ensure that you publish and forward three (3) (if the publication is a private publication) copies of the maiden issues to the Nigeria ISSN centre Abuja.

The maiden issues are a pre-requisite to obtaining an ISSN.

A typed application on the letter head paper of the publishing firm (or your company) stating clearly:

1. the scope of the serial publication.

2. the frequency (daily,weekly,monthly,quarterly,etc) of your serial.

3. the photocopy of the certificate of registration (in the case of a private firm) obtained from the CAC.

4. the letter head paper should likewise bear the name and cite the actual location of your company.

5. ISSN(s) are free, however you would be requested to pay an administrative fee of five thousand naira (N5,000) per title. The sum is made payable to The National Library of Nigeria in bank draft or by cash at the issuing laison or Headquarter office.

All applications should be addressed to:
The Director,
National Bibliographic Control Dept.
National Library of Nigeria,
Plot 274 Sanusi Dantata House,
CBD,
Abuja.

I wish you the best in your magazine publication.

4 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
Peterwins: The ISSN is an eight digit number that uniquely identifies serials globally.

Publishers requesting for ISSN must first verify their title with the ISSN centre before publishing in order to avoid duplication of title and possible litigation from the use of an existing title. Hence, secure a name reservation from the National Library of Nigeria before publishing.

After the name reservation have been secured (with a grace period to use the approved name), ensure that you publish and forward three (3) (if the publication is a private publication) copies of the maiden issues to the Nigeria ISSN centre Abuja.

The maiden issues are a pre-requisite to obtaining an ISSN.

A typed application on the letter head paper of the publishing firm (or your company) stating clearly:

1. the scope of the serial publication.

2. the frequency (daily,weekly,monthly,quarterly,etc) of your serial.

3. the photocopy of the certificate of registration (in the case of a private firm) obtained from the CAC.

4. the letter head paper should likewise bear the name and cite the actual location of your company.

5. ISSN(s) are free, however you would be requested to pay an administrative fee of five thousand naira (N5,000) per title. The sum is made payable to The National Library of Nigeria in bank draft or by cash at the issuing laison or Headquarter office.

All applications should be addressed to:
The Director,
National Bibliographic Control Dept.
National Library of Nigeria,
Plot 274 Sanusi Dantata House,
CBD,
Abuja.

I wish you the best in your magazine publication.

thanks a million for taking your time to explain all these,you are mouthed.
please do you have any contact(phone no/email) of the library in Abuja
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
please do you have any contact(phone no/email) of the library in Abuja.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2013
mikerob116:

please do you have any contact(phone no/email) of the library in Abuja.

This is the old information I have for further enquiries on the National Library : natbcdnlnig@yahoo.com Tel: 07081680346.

I don't know if the email (in my opinion a yahoo email doesn't seem appropriate for such a big government institution) is still valid. However give the email and phone number a try, perhaps you may be lucky to get good feedback. Cheers!!!.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by egift(m): 5:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
Peterwins:

This is the old information I have for further enquiries on the National Library : natbcdnlnig@yahoo.com Tel: 07081680346.

I don't know if the email (in my opinion a yahoo email doesn't seem appropriate for such a big government institution) is still valid. However give the email and phone number a try, perhaps you may be lucky to get good feedback. Cheers!!!.

Thanks Peter. Very informative.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 11:57am On Mar 11, 2013
egift: If one have a company, what do you need to start to publishing Magazine?

Hi, have you been able to get the ISSN?
I have tried the No given by PETERWINS
but it is switched off each time i tried.
though i sent a mail too, no response yet.
please update me if there is any good info.

Regards
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 4:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
mikerob116:

Hi, have you been able to get the ISSN?
I have tried the No given by PETERWINS
but it is switched off each time i tried.
though i sent a mail too, no response yet.
please update me if there is any good info.

Regards

You cannot get the ISSN without printing/publishing your maiden issues, which means that your first edition will be printed without the ISSN. However you have to secure a name reservation before you publish (I explained all these in my earlier post).

Step 1. Submit the title(s)/name(s) of your proposed magazine.

Step 2. If the title/name is approved; Go ahead and publish within the grace period to use the approved name. But if the name is not approved, submit a new list of names until a name is approved for use. It is similar to when trying to register a company or business name.

Step 3. Submit your application for an ISSN with three (3) copies of your maiden edition and other requirements as I earlier explained.

Step 4. An ISSN will be issued to you after your application is approved having fulfilled all the necessary requirements.

Kindly visit the headquarters of the National Library of Nigeria or its liaison (state) office closest to you. Remember my skepticism about the email or phone number I gave as their contact details.

You could also visit their website (google it) for further details.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 9:05am On Mar 13, 2013
Peterwins:

You cannot get the ISSN without printing/publishing your maiden issues, which means that your first edition will be printed without the ISSN. However you have to secure a name reservation before you publish (I explained all these in my earlier post).

Step 1. Submit the title(s)/name(s) of your proposed magazine.

Step 2. If the title/name is approved; Go ahead and publish within the grace period to use the approved name. But if the name is not approved, submit a new list of names until a name is approved for use. It is similar to when trying to register a company or business name.

Step 3. Submit your application for an ISSN with three (3) copies of your maiden edition and other requirements as I earlier explained.

Step 4. An ISSN will be issued to you after your application is approved having fulfilled all the necessary requirements.

Kindly visit the headquarters of the National Library of Nigeria or its liaison (state) office closest to you. Remember my skepticism about the email or phone number I gave as their contact details.

You could also visit their website (google it) for further details.

Yes i know, i was just asking my other colleague(egift) if he has been able to
locate any of the ISSN office in Lagos. i have tried but all to no avail.

Thanks
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by egift(m): 10:24am On Mar 13, 2013
mikerob116:
locate any of the ISSN office in Lagos.
i have tried but all to no avail.

Thanks

Am in Enugu. I think the National Library or asking some publishing houses/printing press may provide you some answers on location.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Peterwins(m): 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
mikerob116:
locate any of the ISSN office in Lagos. i have tried but all to no avail.

Thanks

Locate the National Library office in Lagos and ask for the ISSN office.

227 Herbert Macaulay Way
Yaba Lagos.

You could also go to their former Headquarters at Wesley Street (off broad street/campos street) Lagos Island not far from CMS bus stop (not too sure of my description). You should be able to get the ISSN office/liaison from either of these two locations. Cheers!!!

1 Like

Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 2:35pm On Apr 19, 2013
Peterwins:

Locate the National Library office in Lagos and ask for the ISSN office.

227 Herbert Macaulay Way
Yaba Lagos.

You could also go to their former Headquarters at Wesley Street (off broad street/campos street) Lagos Island not far from CMS bus stop (not too sure of my description). You should be able to get the ISSN office/liaison from either of these two locations. Cheers!!!

Hi Bro,
just to inform you that National Library is on indefinite strike, what advise can you give me as we are still have not published the magazine despite all our materials readily available.

Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by mikerob116(m): 2:37pm On Apr 19, 2013
Hi Bro,
just to inform you that National Library is on indefinite strike, what advise can you give me as we are still have not published the magazine despite all our materials readily available.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by disc20: 10:19pm On Sep 08, 2014
I have see a step-by-guide on how to start a magazine business in Nigeria here http://www.topnigeria.com/2013/10/how-to-start-magazine-publishing.html , the article went ahead to even discus the advertisement and marketing plans to ensure success. Simply take a look and I bet you'll like it.
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by Ambassador1991(m): 5:09pm On Apr 18, 2015
egift:
If one have a company, what do you need to start to publishing Magazine?

Hi! I intend starting Teenagers Newspaper. It's very viable and the market is large. Would you mind we work together?
Re: What Does It Take To Start Magazine Publication In Nigeria? by afeez20(m): 2:13am On Apr 19, 2015
hi disc20.
the website is not displaying anything,i reckon its been taken down or the address you gave is not the right one.
can you check please and let nairalanders know.thanks
disc20:
I have see a step-by-guide on how to start a magazine business in Nigeria here http://www.topnigeria.com/2013/10/how-to-start-magazine-publishing.html , the article went ahead to even discus the advertisement and marketing plans to ensure success. Simply take a look and I bet you'll like it.

(1) (Reply)

Mistakenly Loaded N7000 Mtn Credit.anyway To Get My Money Back? / Business Opportunity In Agency Banking / Various Nigerian Crude Oil And Their Specifications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.