Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Getting That Dream Job: What To Do - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting That Dream Job: What To Do (874 Views)

7 Things You Should Do While Waiting For That Dream Job / I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? / I Want To Leave My Current Job,what Is The Best Excuse To Give My Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by IDERAWOLE(m): 4:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
Reasons Why you might have been missing that job.

While it is obvious that there is so much of scarcity in the job market; a lot can still get that dream job of theirs if a little care can be taken in observing errors that are normally committed in the course of searching for these jobs.

First, let me ask a few questions;

Are you a fresh graduate and planning to look for a job? Did you just recently quit your job and are looking for greener pastures? Are you unemployed and have little experience regarding ways to secure a job? Whatever your situation may be, it would be to your advantage to study the following tips:

Check your resume for mistakes

Before submitting your resume to a prospective employer, check your resume for corrections at least three times before handing it over. After researching about the job position, it is critical that you format your resume to match the needs of the company. For example, if you are applying for an accounting job, you should put in detail your accounting experience on your resume. Typographical and grammatical errors are serious no-no's. It is also ideal to keep the length of the resume' to at least a page and a half long.

Please keep date with me here for more tips in overcoming some of these unnecessary errors that is hindering a lot of people from landing their dream jobs.

I hope you wont assume like a lot of job hunters that all they require is their FIRST CLASS DEGREE and nothing else, of course such minds are being shocked daily as they see the lower degree earners being employed long before them. It is not all about long leg; the job market has become so dynamic that you should assume nothing any longer.

We will be looking at things like:

-Check your resume for mistakes
-Taking the interview challenge
-Answer questions smartly
-Getting the necessary referrals
-On online application
-Complete your sentences and do not abbreviate.
-Get directly to the point
-Consider potential issues that may hinder you from getting the job

Greater emphasis will be placed on the proper way to write you CV (your representative in that organization; even before your invitation for an interview)
Re: Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by IDERAWOLE(m): 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2013
Hi Friends again,

I'm moving on on our journey of getting properly positioned for that dream job you've been waiting for.

Check my previous thread for update and enjoy today's diet; happy reading.

Taking the interview challenge

A survey conducted by a staffing and consulting firm based in California which corresponded with 1,400 chief financial officers concluded that candidates for employment made most of their mistakes on their interviews. Some of the mistakes they made include:

-arriving late,
-having little knowledge about the company and the position applied for,
-having a superiority complex and
-behaving arrogantly.

The body language of the applicant must also denote that he is confident yet not overpowering.

He must maintain:
-eye contact,
-have a strong handshake, and
-avoid looking defensive by the act of crossing the arms.

Wearing the right clothes is crucial for projecting a confident stance. As they say, it is better to go to an interview over-dressed than being under-dressed.

I believe these added tips will improve your performance as you continue your preparations for job interviews; however, getting invited is even more crucial in the first instance. Well, do not be overwhelmed yet; you will get there. We'll go through these itemized issues above before dwelling on how best to get INVITED for interviews.

What do you think? Do you feel I should package this various Tips into a small report available for FREE DOWNLOAD for those who can't wait for this serialized ones? Let's hear your opinion. OR Give me a shout at----- wealthcreation2787@gmail.com

Have a great day.
Re: Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by IDERAWOLE(m): 5:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
You are welcome back today. I hope this tips are making any meaning to you. Please share your views here or use the email address I've provided to reach me if you have any personal opinion/request you dont want to share here.

Let's dive into today's point/tip:

Answer questions smartly

A common mistake of interviewees is that they tend to get tense and forget the questions that are given to them, which has the effect that they are not prepared for the interview.

It is important to research about the company and the position applied for to prevent being side-tracked during the interview.

If you do not know the answer to the questions being asked, it is better to admit you don't know the answer to the question and add that you can research about it.

Look for the skills or expertise that the company is looking for so that when interview day comes and the interviewer asks about your strengths and core competencies, you will be able to match it to what they need.

Have a great day.

More of your views here or to the address given up.
Re: Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by IDERAWOLE(m): 5:35pm On Mar 14, 2013
Getting the necessary referrals

Having a referral from one of the company employees can go a long way toward landing an interview.

A typical company may receive job applications in the hundreds and usually 35% to 60% of all job vacancies are filled by referrals.

The odds of getting hired when you have a referral are very high if you have another 200 to 500 applicants vying for the same position.

If you do not know anyone from the company that may give you a referral, it is a good idea to the alumni network of your college, trade groups, social networks, and professional associations.

Remember, having a referral greatly increases your chances of getting the position.

This has nothing to do with unqualified applicants wanting a job. Rather it is a recommendation from a trusted source and most of the time it saves the recruiting organisation all the stress and cost of recruitment.

I will love to hear your opinions on all I've said above.

You can reach me as well on 08063423482/08104982839
Re: Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by Evergreen4(m): 7:43pm On Mar 14, 2013
Pls continue, am following religiously
Re: Getting That Dream Job: What To Do by IDERAWOLE(m): 4:13pm On Apr 05, 2013
Today, I'm going to post some key issues to consider in getting that dream job

If you have been following like Evergreen; then have a sip of these further tips:

On online application

With the current trend of technology and its merging with business processes, more and more companies are now requiring prospective applicants to submit their application online. Thus, first impressions are relayed not by your first appearance but by the quality and content of your e-mail. E-mails regarding job application should be polished and well-articulated. When applying on-line, use the following tips:

Complete your sentences and do not abbreviate.

Employers do not like when you send them application letters that seem to be too casual. It is important to make a letter that is both formal and well written. This gives a good impression regarding your capabilities and skills.

Get directly to the point

When writing an application letter, you must be concise and straightforward. Do not put a story on the letter just to get the attention of the employer, chances are he or she will just get irritated with you and this only reduces your chances of getting hired.

Consider potential issues that may hinder you from getting the job

Although there are instances wherein there is a lot of need for a job but the requirements for the position may entail training programs that may bar you from getting the position due to its highly competitive nature. Some require a lot of experience even at least 3 years of work experience. Some may have no barriers to entry but the job itself may entail a very routine work flow.

Getting the job you want may be a challenge but never lose hope. It is better to wait a while and get the job that you will enjoy rather than get a job as soon as possible but ending up dissatisfied and unhappy. Make the right decision then act on it.

If these tips have been of any use to you and you'll like me to continue; why not make a comment here or add your own input.

(1) (Reply)

Shift Incharge / Fcmb Customer Service / List Of Successful Candidates For Nigerian Army Direct Short Service Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.