Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? (5059 Views)

Confused: Got A Better Paying Job A Month After I Got A Job / GOD Has Done It For Me O! I Just Got A Good Paying Job. / I Want To Leave My Current Job,what Is The Best Excuse To Give My Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Feex: 11:14pm On Aug 31, 2011
I need the advice of well-meaning nairalanders. I presently work in a multinational company that pays me about 210k per month excluding other mouth watering allowances such as bonuses, transport allowance, housing allowance, leave allowance, free food, etc. but the problem is that I don't like my particular job. I have tried to change departments but to no avail. my present job specification limits my career exposure and is too routine for my liking. i want a more challenging and dynamic role in the organization, but this has not been successful. though there are career prospects within the company, i don't really enjoy job satisfaction, i.e I am not totally happy with my job.

I thought of resigning after saving some amount of money, or going back to school but I am scared stiff because of the precarious unemployment rate in Nigeria, considering the fact that age is no longer totally on my side in the Nigeria labour market (am close to 30 though i am single). i want to seek advice from well meaning and exposed nairalanders on how to handle the situation at hand.

Should I resign and pursue my happiness even if the risk is high, or should I be contented with the job, despite being unhappy?
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Dyt(f): 11:20pm On Aug 31, 2011
Hmmm bros
m sure u v neva experienced joblessness b4?
U cld still go 2 sch na
pls o
jst hold on2 it
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Seun(m): 1:17am On Sep 01, 2011
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by jumie(f): 10:07am On Sep 01, 2011
u beta stay put! Don't leave till u have found something more rewarding to do.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by victor2exl(m): 10:22am On Sep 01, 2011
i saw 2 pics, which is whom??, anyway both of you are cool, anyway . i would love to be replied to,
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Matimatics: 10:50am On Sep 01, 2011
I will encourage you to prove what you can do in the right department if you were given a chance, and you have to start from where you are, be wise with your spending now and also if after some months or a year, they don't seem to appreciate your thirst for the growth of the organisation, you would have saved enough to start something that makes you happy, at least that was how MacDonalds started, reach me on sammikeengr@yahoo.com or www.damolamichael..com

Wish you goodluck
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Dainy1(m): 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2011
U can make urself stay there n luv dat job, and if u wnt 2 go back 2 sch, set up a busns n employ peop 2 maneg it.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by smarthans(f): 1:11am On Sep 07, 2011
I feel u bro,was also in d same situation and i took a bold step which i don't regret 2day. If u stil don't knw wat 2 do, u can reach me through this addy. hanessy2k7@yahoo.co.uk.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by andrewsega(m): 7:34am On Sep 07, 2011
You will regret your decision if you resign to go back for studies, who told you that you will get a job after you finish studying?, you are lucky to be working and getting really good money. Do not waste that opportunity
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by kepnke: 11:33am On Sep 07, 2011
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by maclatunji: 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2011
Feex:

I need the advice of well-meaning nairalanders. I presently work in a multinational company that pays me about 210k per month excluding other mouth watering allowances such as bonuses, transport allowance, housing allowance, leave allowance, free food, etc. but the problem is that I don't like my particular job. I have tried to change departments but to no avail. my present job specification limits my career exposure and is too routine for my liking. i want a more challenging and dynamic role in the organization, but this has not been successful. though there are career prospects within the company, i don't really enjoy job satisfaction, i.e I am not totally happy with my job.

I thought of resigning after saving some amount of money, or going back to school but I am scared stiff because of the precarious unemployment rate in Nigeria, considering the fact that age is no longer totally on my side in the Nigeria labour market (am close to 30 though i am single). i want to seek advice from well meaning and exposed nairalanders on how to handle the situation at hand.

Should I resign and pursue my happiness even if the risk is high, or should I be contented with the job, despite being unhappy?

You don't get it, do you? You get paid to do what you don't like. Some people are doing what they like, yet they are broke. It is very rare that someone does what he likes and gets to make a reasonable amount of money from it.

Stop being a spoilt man and focus on your job and be grateful to God!
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by semidaraeb(m): 8:16pm On Sep 09, 2011
Very S.T.____pd, D*FT and immature post, if you don't like it why don't u just quit, are your employers begging you to stay, you don't need anybodies advice, am sure they can even find somebody to do that your job for less and the person will be happy and thankfull for an opportunity to work. So please if you have nothing better to say stop wasting people's time by re-posting this topic because am sure I have seen it before in this section and get a life please.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by horny4u(f): 6:08am On Sep 10, 2011
maclatunji:

You don't get it, do you? You get paid to do what you don't like. Some people are doing what they like, yet they are broke. It is very rare that someone does what he likes and gets to make a reasonable amount of money from it.

Stop being a spoilt man and focus on your job and be grateful to God!

Gbam !!!!!!!!!

I hate cleaning a baby's bum bum but i love being a mother, so when the baby messes up her nappy what am i supposed to do ,

a. take her to the neighbour
b. give her away
c. come and complain on Nairaland
d. Spoilt spoilt spoilt

The answer is C

2 Likes

Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Stevogue(m): 8:00am On Sep 10, 2011
Keep your job please. If you seek more challenges,find network marketing business you can do by the side. It will give u all the adventures and challenges you need. If you want my recommendation on d network biz,email hellomacholi@yahoo.com or oobidike@gmail.com
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by ILLUMINAT: 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2011
I want to use this medium to appeal to well-meaning Nigerians to please assist me in getting a job as soon as possible. I need this job urgently, this cannot be over emphasized, I can't just begin to type the extent of suffering I'm passing through at the moment,

I am an OND holder(Marketing) and I am also a Comptia Certified A+ and N+ Computer/network Engineer. Right now, I have a workshop where I do repairs of Laptops but I hardly get enough to even feed. I have tried to advertise by placing banners all over my area yet, it seems not to be working.

I am in a dire need of a job. I can perform well in computer engineering, networking and maintenance of servers. I have OND in Marketing from The Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti and I can also drive coupled with the fact that I know Lagos roads and so a job in any marketing company that may require driving and geographical knowledge of Lagos would be highly appreciated.

Please if you think you can help, do not hesitate to do so God would surely answer your silent prayers too.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by horny4u(f): 3:01pm On Sep 10, 2011
ILLUMINAT:

I want to use this medium to appeal to well-meaning Nigerians to please assist me in getting a job as soon as possible. I need this job urgently, this cannot be over emphasized, I can't just begin to type the extent of suffering I'm passing through at the moment,

I am an OND holder(Marketing) and I am also a Comptia Certified A+ and N+ Computer/network Engineer. Right now, I have a workshop where I do repairs of Laptops but I hardly get enough to even feed. I have tried to advertise by placing banners all over my area yet, it seems not to be working.

I am in a dire need of a job. I can perform well in computer engineering, networking and maintenance of servers. I have OND in Marketing from The Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti and I can also drive coupled with the fact that I know Lagos roads and so a job in any marketing company that may require driving and geographical knowledge of Lagos would be highly appreciated.

Please if you think you can help, do not hesitate to do so God would surely answer your silent prayers too.

Hate to punch a man already down but on those banners you said you have displayed everywhere , did you remember to place your contact details on them,
You didnot place your contact detail on here , hopefully you are an organised person.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by ILLUMINAT: 6:24pm On Sep 10, 2011
horny4u:

Hate to punch a man already down but on those banners you said you have displayed everywhere , did you remember to place your contact details on them,
You didnot place your contact detail on here , hopefully you are an organised person.

Thanks, My phone number is 08057004145 e-mail, biostech@live.com

I did included my phone number and address on the banners.

Thanks again.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by macherie1: 8:58am On Sep 13, 2011
No one would understand the way you feel except they have been there. i am not in the best position to advise you because i am in the same shoes with you. my job is well paying and i hate every moment of it. I am already thinking of a plan B but i get temted to resign everyday. No one takes me serious because they all think that one should be satisfied with any legal Job once the pay is right. They are challenges in every endeavour in life but there is a lot of satisfaction that comes with owning your own business. Get your plans in place and dear to venture out on your own. Remember there is no guaranty that you will always have this job so why not try something on your own and be happy?
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by ILLUMINAT: 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2011
horny4u:

pls do if u can help, i need a job urgently
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by bigfat01: 11:29am On Sep 16, 2011
make money first so you can fulfill your hearts desires later
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Hadassah12: 1:04pm On Sep 16, 2011
ma cherie:

No one would understand the way you feel except they have been there. i am not in the best position to advise you because i am in the same shoes with you. my job is well paying and i hate every moment of it. I am already thinking of a plan B but i get temted to resign everyday. No one takes me serious because they all think that one should be satisfied with any legal Job once the pay is right. They are challenges in every endeavour in life but there is a lot of satisfaction that comes with owning your own business. Get your plans in place and dear to venture out on your own. Remember there is no guaranty that you will always have this job so why not try something on your own and be happy?

Ma cherie, i guess people dont believe our category of people exist. I'm also exactly in the same shoes. I earn about 370k, im 26 but dont have a passion for what i do. I'm very grateful to God I can pay my bills and have extra but i keep asking if I'm sure I am fulfilling God"s perfect will for my life,
My consolation is i am sure this will work out for my good one way or the other,
People need to understand that its beyond having money, even Robert Maslow"s hiearchy of needs puts fulfillment as the most important of all needs to be met in human life. My advice to others in similar shoes - try to enjoy the journey, be thankful and trust God for each step you take and one day it will all be clearer,

An attitude of gratitude does wonders so I am very grateful for where I am now and thankful for where God is still taking me too. I also put in my best into what i do because I know too jobless people oh and I do not take things for granted. But i say, try to bridge the gap between where u are and where u want to be by equipping yourself through self-study etc for your next level.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Welder(m): 3:22pm On Sep 16, 2011
All this smallies earning 210k besides bonus and allownces and 370k. . .make una yarn us better na. . .thats a lot of money for a 26year old, for starters can u guys tell us the industry you are in. . .i wouldnt mind o
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Duke007(m): 1:38pm On Sep 17, 2011
See d irony of life:a man earns =N=210k per mth & is unfulfilled,yet, another wit a Bsc degree earns 12k per mth wit a wife&kid in lagos and is fulfilled.The bottom line is dat a man's life doesnt consists of material thgs.Money can neva equate job sastifaction,so on dat note l can undastand ur plight.I wldnt advise u to repudiate ur present job cos a bird at hand is beta dan two in d bushes.See dis as an opportunity 2 diversify your skills&experience.Napoleon Hill once said dat:"every adversity has d seed of an equivalent benefit".Stay on d job and soon u wil undastand why God has allow u to b  placed in a dept dat u hate.Above al b thankful to God 4 such a good job.l have neva earn 20% of ur earnings per mth since l graduated 10yrs ago.So can nw c dat people ar jealous of u.So my friend b happy wit ur job and b prayaful.QED".Stay on d job and soon u wil undastand why God has allow u to placed in a dept dat u hate.Above al b thankful to God 4 such a good job.l have neva earn 20% of ur earnings per mth since l graduated 10yrs ago.So can nw c dat people ar jealous of u.So my friend happy wit ur job and b prayaful.QED
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by switchmax8: 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2011
if you are not happy join boko haram maybe you might be happy
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by expert101(m): 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2011
send my your contact bro,
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 22, 2011
Its peeps like dis dat would gladly hug a 30k job if they were unemployed. Bros, resign if u want to resign, dont come to nairaland asking for advice. I didnt ask for anyone's opinion b4 i left my job of 20k as a contract staff with a bank.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Seun34: 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2011
I read accounting but doing another job that pays me more than what most CEO are earning. Though I would have preferred a job in accounting but I'm happy with what I'm currently earning in a different field.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by adeaminu: 4:14pm On Sep 22, 2011
i like ur courage for seeking advice. i am equally in the same shoe presently with u but my monthly income is nt up to 210k per month but when i saw ur comment a colleague of mine told me that it is beta u start using ur money to start attending training on the prefession u like becos wen thougth of moving outside ur job it will b y do u tink we shld employ u 4 d job.
i guess to realised sometins abt life dat money is not only tin dat bring happiness in life.
Re: I Dislike My High-paying Job. What Do I Do Please? by Obinoscopy(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2011
210K is a paltry sum. You can get a more fulfilling job that can also earn you over 500K

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Anyone Knows About ONL Group At Surulere. / Job Vacancies For September 2014 / New Job At Pacific Drilling S.A.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.