Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? (15245 Views)

Engagement Ceremony: Abuja Lady In Keke Napep (photo) / A Bride Joined To The Groom's Photo In Marriage,how Appropriate? / How Do You Tell Him That You Hate Your Engagement Ring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 4:02pm On Mar 06, 2013
scobaba: =))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) , this topic reminds me of what happened back den in university.
A friend peter(real name) had a chick chinenye(real name also). We graduated while chinenye was still in second year, for fear of losing her to someone else, peter engaged her immediately we graduated. That engagement lasted 6yrs. They eventually got married last year and 8days ago, chinenye delivered a bouncing baby boy,raymond.

Moral of the story.....e depend on as u see d story.

Thanks for this story, it means all depends on who is involved, the motives and understanding
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Rocktation(f): 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2013
scobaba: Moral of the story.....e depend on as u see d story.

Haha!
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by ludot(m): 4:27pm On Mar 06, 2013
How long did Rebecca wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Rachel wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Ruth wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Mary wear her engagement ring for?

Some things may be necessary but may not be important.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by ludot(m): 4:42pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy: For as long as it takes for the couple to find the money to make it into the next level . . . Better to wear a ring of engagement that to wear a wedding band in pain

Whether married or not...,there will always be financial needs. One can never have money enough.

And besides, all the money they use to go to cinemas, restaurant etc can be channeled into 'owo obe' (soup money).

And also why buy engagement ring when you know you don't have money?!
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot: How long did Rebecca wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Rachel wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Ruth wear her engagement ring for?
How long did Mary wear her engagement ring for?

Some things may be necessary but may not be important.

That is true but at same time Leah wore her own ring for 7 years when the father told the suitor to labor for her for that long, though he wanted Rebecca and was played on to pick Leah and later labored again for more years for the other lady, so basically the lady wore the ring (Not the metal) but promise of marriage for 14 years in the case of Rebecca . . I might mistake the names oh.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by aijaydiva(f): 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
I really dont care how long i wear one, the most important thing is that accepting that ring is a sign that u want to be for ur fiance and only him. Its better not to accept if u know u cant wait. Instead of accepting and later declining cos of "U CANT WAIT"

2 Likes

Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot:

Whether married or not...,there will always be financial needs. One can never have money enough.

And besides, all the money they use to go to cinemas, restaurant etc can be channeled into 'owo obe' (soup money).

And also why buy engagement ring when you know you don't have money?!

Haba now . . . If it was in the western world, where the woman and the dude could just go to the court and get it over with, no wahala, but in a nation like Nigeria where it is a family thing and the man has to do this and that or in the east where the man has to sell so much to be able to afford the bride price, it is not that simple . . . Some of these things could be avoided if we change how we look at some things.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
aijaydiva: I really dont care how long i wear one, the most important thing is that accepting that ring is a sign that u want to be for ur fiance and only him. Its better not to accept if u know u cant wait. Instead of accepting and later declining cos of "U CANT WAIT"

No one has said it better . . . Or better still before you accept, tell the man how long you would be able to wait.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by sadlerrr: 5:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
What are relationships are really about? See at the link.. http://www.eventjara.com/blogs/refinement/item/the-first-marriage.. I'm sure it'll help you.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by ludot(m): 5:16pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is true but at same time Leah wore her own ring for 7 years when the father told the suitor to labor for her for that long, though he wanted Rebecca and was played on to pick Leah and later labored again for more years for the other lady, so basically the lady wore the ring (Not the metal) but promise of marriage for 14 years in the case of Rebecca . . I might mistake the names oh.

Lol..., Rachel waited that long because Jacob was laboring to pay her 'dowry' not because of the promise of marriage.

Abi na dowry go make woman put ring for finger for 2 years...,2 years? The man wan buy you ni or marry you?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Kells677(m): 5:17pm On Mar 06, 2013
iyabde: I wore mine for 3 years. Here I am after relationship of almost 6 years...am alone. Ladies pls don't be fooled.
ehhhyaaa i realy feel bad 4 u dnt worry u wl gt a beta guy ok

1 Like

Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 5:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot:

Lol..., Rachel waited that long because Jacob was laboring to pay her 'dowry' not because of the promise of marriage.

Abi na dowry go make woman put ring for finger for 2 years...,2 years? The man wan buy you ni or marry you?

And what makes you think that the Man in Nigeria is not working to put the money together for the wedding . . . Average wedding in Nigeria will cost how much? just a question cos i have never done one in Nigeria before and when i say average wedding, not something too elaborate but with crowd of say 150 people with both parents still alive . . . give us a budget and let us work this out.
Dowry in some states are crazy in Nigeria and if the man have to worry about that and then be worrying about how to pay for the wedding, some engagement will last longer than that . . . but if we all could learn to cut our coat according to the material we have and not cos John and Jane spent so much, we have to spend same, most stress will be eliminated . . .
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
If them wear engagement ring for your hand and u really want the wedding sharp sharp,kindly pay in like N2,000,000 into the dudes acct...U'll get the fastest wedding ASAP
NB:My two cents

3 Likes

Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by blackbeau1(f): 5:40pm On Mar 06, 2013
6mths. Abi,are you a ring bearer?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by ludot(m): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

And what makes you think that the Man in Nigeria is not working to put the money together for the wedding . . . Average wedding in Nigeria will cost how much? just a question cos i have never done one in Nigeria before and when i say average wedding, not something too elaborate but with crowd of say 150 people with both parents still alive . . . give us a budget and let us work this out.
Dowry in some states are crazy in Nigeria and if the man have to worry about that and then be worrying about how to pay for the wedding, some engagement will last longer than that . . . but if we all could learn to cut our coat according to the material we have and not cos John and Jane spent so much, we have to spend same, most stress will be eliminated . . .

My take is that 'dowry' is just plain robbery!!! It needs to be scrapped! A crowd of 150 at a wedding...,is dat a political campaign?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by otokx(m): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
western culture
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by nuseg(m): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
Foras lng as u both decide, its anagreement REMEMBER?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 5:53pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot:

My take is that 'dowry' is just plain robbery!!! It needs to be scrapped! A crowd of 150 at a wedding...,is dat a political campaign?

OK, let us break it down . . Average man with good attitude will have say 20 - 30 friends, the woman would have 30 - 40 friends, the parents of the man would have average of 20 friends, and so the parents of the woman . . . co-worker, pastor or Imam and all that . . . do the math, that would be like over 100 people . . . or you mean 150 is too much, ok, let us scale it down: 80 people . . . what would be the budget for such wedding.
Yes, i do agree with you on the dowry but that is not the discussion for this thread . . .
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by buchibabe: 5:54pm On Mar 06, 2013
[quote author=kenraj]What in the case that the woman has a child already for the man who is not in the country and the man gets an apartment for the woman. The man comes home every year at least twice and the woman have emphasized that if they are married that means the man is finally settled down in the country and anything short of that she s not ready for the marriage.[/quote

I dnt get u.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by buchibabe: 6:04pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

No one has said it better . . . Or better still before you accept, tell the man how long you would be able to wait.

U cant tell d'mAan how long u wil be able to wait. Man proposes,God disposes. What if things dnt work out as planned?or if hes nt financially capable ,he wont rob to marry d'woman na.
I think bfor acceptin an engagement ring,d'woman shuld either make up her mind on sentencing herself for as long as d'guy is ready or forget d'ring,still be in d'mood of courtship while leaving her heart open to whatever happens.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Greatlydia(f): 6:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
start to wear it when your wedding invitation card is out.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by ludot(m): 6:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

OK, let us break it down . . Average man with good attitude will have say 20 - 30 friends, the woman would have 30 - 40 friends, the parents of the man would have average of 20 friends, and so the parents of the woman . . . co-worker, pastor or Imam and all that . . . do the math, that would be like over 100 people . . . or you mean 150 is too much, ok, let us scale it down: 80 people . . . what would be the budget for such wedding.
Yes, i do agree with you on the dowry but that is not the discussion for this thread . . .

Cut your cloth according to your material not your size, abi? How much do you have? Invite people that will fit into how much you have.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
buchibabe:

U cant tell d'mAan how long u wil be able to wait. Man proposes,God disposes. What if things dnt work out as planned?or if hes nt financially capable ,he wont rob to marry d'woman na.
I think bfor acceptin an engagement ring,d'woman shuld either make up her mind on sentencing herself for as long as d'guy is ready or forget d'ring,still be in d'mood of courtship while leaving her heart open to whatever happens.

Nice one, but is there anything the woman could do to make things happen faster . . .
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot:

Cut your cloth according to your material not your size, abi? How much do you have? Invite people that will fit into how much you have.

Yes, possible but not that easy.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by buchibabe: 6:18pm On Mar 06, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Nice one, but is there anything the woman could do to make things happen faster . . .

Sure,if d woman earns her own income and feels she can't wait,nothing stops her frm assisting d man financially. But if she has no means of supportin,den she shuld betta wait till d man is buoyant enuf.
Ffunny enuf,pple tend to dedicate moni,time,etc in preparation of elaborate weddings instead of marriage which is d koko. After wedding,couple no go chop?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by gentlegg(m): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
For me, is only a foolish lady that will continue wearing so-called engagement ring when the supposed guy has not commenced any official marriage rites or initiate a marriage process. Just that he popped up the question "will you marry me?" and you yessed in answer, without any process being initiated between the two families involved and the lady goes about for 2 yrs (as somebody suggested here) wearing the ring without being married yet and scaring away serious and ready suitors. Damn, that's foolish. For Christ's sake, why should you engage a lady when you are not yet ready for marriage.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by gentlegg(m): 6:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
Greatlydia: start to wear it when your wedding invitation card is out.
I dey feel u. Correct lady.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by HisRib(f): 6:25pm On Mar 06, 2013
f18spitfire: You wear engagement ring for five years, wetin self you be lord of the rings....

Here in America, women wear engagement rings on top of their wedding bands. Both are worn till death do you apart.
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 6:30pm On Mar 06, 2013
buchibabe:

Sure,if d woman earns her own income and feels she can't wait,nothing stops her frm assisting d man financially. But if she has no means of supportin,den she shuld betta wait till d man is buoyant enuf.
Ffunny enuf,pple tend to dedicate moni,time,etc in preparation of elaborate weddings instead of marriage which is d koko. After wedding,couple no go chop?

I feel you and from your statement, i see what is exactly the problem with wedding and marriage in Nigeria . . . It is not about the man making the money, it is about the 2 of them coming together and planning how much they can afford and how they can get such money, the woman is not helping the man by giving some to do the wedding neither is the man helping the woman by marrying her, it is a joint thing . . . But like you said, people spend too much time and money planning the wedding and forgetting to be ready for the marriage . .
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 6:35pm On Mar 06, 2013
gentlegg: For me, is only a foolish lady that will continue wearing so-called engagement ring when the supposed guy has not commenced any official marriage rites or initiate a marriage process. Just that he popped up the question "will you marry me?" and you yessed in answer, without any process being initiated between the two families involved and the lady goes about for 2 yrs (as somebody suggested here) wearing the ring without being married yet and scaring away serious and ready suitors. Damn, that's foolish. For Christ's sake, why should you engage a lady when you are not yet ready for marriage.

So you mean it is OK to wear that ring as long as the parents have met one another but the wedding arrangement is yet to start?
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Fhemmmy: 6:37pm On Mar 06, 2013
HisRib:
Here in America, women wear engagement rings on top of their wedding bands. Both are worn till death do you apart.

here they are talking about how long MUSt a woman wear the ring before the actual wedding . . .
Re: Ladies Wearing An Engagement Ring Before Marriage: How Long? by Ultimux: 6:49pm On Mar 06, 2013
ludot:

Dude, in a typical Nigerian wedding setup 150 is barely considered average. If you call that a political campaign wait till you see weddings with crowd of 400-500.
Unfortunately, these people fail to realize that no matter the population what matters is the intent and purpose of the event.
A wedding event of 50 people will achieve same purpose as that of 1,000,000.
At the end of the day they are both MARRIED.
@topic
I won't want to give a clear cut number but it depends largely on finance, age, sociocultural orientation etc.
However, assuming all factors are in favor of the individuals, i will say 2yrs is enough time to know someone enough to move from engagement phase to marriage phase.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rent Your Dream Wedding Gowns For As Low As N15000 In Abuja / How Much Do I Need For A Regular Wedding / Most Used Event Centre In Ojodu/ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.