Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects (5098 Views)

Tribunal Orders Inspection Of Ballot Papers In Akpabio’s Election / Lagos Power Projects Receives Boost With Transformer Plant / 'Batman' To Launch Power Projects In Nigeria - ThisDay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by karlmax2: 8:39am On Mar 05, 2013
Only 40 of 491 projects completed
The Federal Government is to begin an inspection of all power projects site across the country from this March, warning that it might sanction contractors found to be delaying in the delivery of  projects.

This follows the poor execution and delivery rates of power projects by contractors, as only about 40 out of 491 contracts so far awarded had been completed.

To this end, Vice President Namadi Sambo, said he will send out a crack team of project monitoring group by from this month, to ascertain the level of work at the sites and to take far-reaching decisions if necessary,

Mr. James Olotu, the Managing Director, Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited, NDPHC, promoters of the National Independent Power projects, NIPP, disclosed this during the commissioning of three new 15 MVA sub-stations and switchgears panel in Yaba, Orile-Coker and Kirikiri sub-stations in Lagos.
He said there are currently about 491 power projects across the country, while about 40 of the projects had been completed.

He however added that some of the others yet to be completed have reached advanced stages of completion and would be completed before the end of the year.

He disclosed that the Federal Government set a target of June this year for the completion of all distribution projects, while all transmission projects and about 99 per cent of all generation projects are expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Accordingly, he said the project monitoring team will visit all the projects sites, so that actions can be taken on the spot if we find that the contractors are not meeting up with target given to them.

He, however, noted that the government is not compromising quality for speed, saying that while emphasis is placed on speedy completion, it is also ensuring that the projects are done to international standards.

He said, “While doing this, we are aware that it is also important that the delivery should be known to be actually effective and qualitative, not delivery that is fast and then as we move back and go away after commissioning, they say something has broken down. That is fraud. We want the contractors to deliver quality work.

“But the time for delay is over. No more delay again on this project. Every contractor has no excuse on why they should not deliver on their project.”

On the issue of supply of gas to the power stations, Olotu said all stakeholders in the power sector are working together to ensure that the challenges facing steady power supply, especially availability of gas, is dealt with.

Also speaking, Mr. Oladele Amoda, Chief Operating Officer, Eko Electricity Distribution Company, said with the addition of the new 15 MVA 33KVA/11 KVA sub-stations at New Yaba, Orile-Coker and Kirkiri sub-stations, the total capacity at Yaba has improved to 45 MVA, Orile-Coker has improved to 30 MVA 11 KVA while Kirikiri has risen to 30 MVA 33KVA.

He said the installation of the sub-stations and switchgears will help minimize load shedding and tackle the issue of epileptic power supply.

He said the new equipments were strategic, especially as they cater for the need of strategic areas of the state, areas, adding that the benefiting communities have started feeling the impact of the projects in terms of improved power supply.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/03/fg-to-begin-inspection-of-power-projects/

3 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by karlmax2: 8:40am On Mar 05, 2013
No wonder power has improved around yaba. Area

2 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by schorlbone(m): 8:50am On Mar 05, 2013
karl max: Only 40 of 491 projects completed
The Federal Government is to begin an inspection of all power projects site across the country from this March, warning that it might sanction contractors found to be delaying in the delivery of  projects.

This follows the poor execution and delivery rates of power projects by contractors, as only about 40 out of 491 contracts so far awarded had been completed.

To this end, Vice President Namadi Sambo, said he will send out a crack team of project monitoring group by from this month, to ascertain the level of work at the sites and to take far-reaching decisions if necessary,

Mr. James Olotu, the Managing Director, Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited, NDPHC, promoters of the National Independent Power projects, NIPP, disclosed this during the commissioning of three new 15 MVA sub-stations and switchgears panel in Yaba, Orile-Coker and Kirikiri sub-stations in Lagos.
He said there are currently about 491 power projects across the country, while about 40 of the projects had been completed.

He however added that some of the others yet to be completed have reached advanced stages of completion and would be completed before the end of the year.

He disclosed that the Federal Government set a target of June this year for the completion of all distribution projects, while all transmission projects and about 99 per cent of all generation projects are expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Accordingly, he said the project monitoring team will visit all the projects sites, so that actions can be taken on the spot if we find that the contractors are not meeting up with target given to them.

He, however, noted that the government is not compromising quality for speed, saying that while emphasis is placed on speedy completion, it is also ensuring that the projects are done to international standards.

He said, “While doing this, we are aware that it is also important that the delivery should be known to be actually effective and qualitative, not delivery that is fast and then as we move back and go away after commissioning, they say something has broken down. That is fraud. We want the contractors to deliver quality work.

“But the time for delay is over. No more delay again on this project. Every contractor has no excuse on why they should not deliver on their project.”

On the issue of supply of gas to the power stations, Olotu said all stakeholders in the power sector are working together to ensure that the challenges facing steady power supply, especially availability of gas, is dealt with.

Also speaking, Mr. Oladele Amoda, Chief Operating Officer, Eko Electricity Distribution Company, said with the addition of the new 15 MVA 33KVA/11 KVA sub-stations at New Yaba, Orile-Coker and Kirkiri sub-stations, the total capacity at Yaba has improved to 45 MVA, Orile-Coker has improved to 30 MVA 11 KVA while Kirikiri has risen to 30 MVA 33KVA.

He said the installation of the sub-stations and switchgears will help minimize load shedding and tackle the issue of epileptic power supply.

He said the new equipments were strategic, especially as they cater for the need of strategic areas of the state, areas, adding that the benefiting communities have started feeling the impact of the projects in terms of improved power supply.

I haf hear nau!
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2013
karl max: Only 40 of 491 projects completed

datz 8.1466%, to me dat is FAILURE! angry
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:03am On Mar 05, 2013
schorlbone: I haf hear nau!
you just succeeded in embarrassing yourself by quoting that whole page.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Scarpon(m): 9:05am On Mar 05, 2013
thier should start from Lagos
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 05, 2013
schorlbone: I haf hear nau!
you just succeeded in embarrassing yourself by quoting that whole content. Back to post, 40/491, that's some 8.something%/100. The pace on this power road map is as little as the earth's tectonic movement, snail fast pass am.

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by earthgreeners(m): 9:05am On Mar 05, 2013
karl max: No wonder power has improved around yaba. Area

***LIE DETECTOR***

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 05, 2013
The Power Road map excites me even though the supply isnt great at my estate but others say its better on their locale, but seeing the road map gives me hope for a better future, a future that factories will run on national grid with the attendant low cost of production.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 05, 2013
yeye ppl, just trying to make us believe dat they are working. Nonsense
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Rawshal(m): 9:07am On Mar 05, 2013
Dis clueless govt ar delayin d power commision,so as 2 use it 4 campagn 4 nxt election..we can fall 4 u visionless leader.

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by earthgreeners(m): 9:08am On Mar 05, 2013
I.Joan:

Exactly my tot.....
The OP seem to be celebrating Failure....40/491......when even the 491 is not enough to completely solve the problem.....
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 05, 2013
Scarpon: thier should start from Lagos
cheesy grin "Thier" wetin?
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Kaxmytex(m): 9:09am On Mar 05, 2013
Owkie o
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by tatosh: 9:09am On Mar 05, 2013
All this still hasn't translated to regular power supply in my neighbourhood. How do I care if they're going around to monitor projects
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 05, 2013
I.Joan:

is dat all u av 2 say after quoting d whole contents of d topic.
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by dady12: 9:19am On Mar 05, 2013
What are they celebrating?40/491 for how many years now?from now till 2015,they are going to celebrate how many?this is purely politics,they should stop fooling themselves and do somethg tandible to the poor nigeria masses rather than celebrating failure
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by earthgreeners(m): 9:22am On Mar 05, 2013
tatosh: All this still hasn't translated to regular power supply in my neighbourhood. How do I care if they're going around to monitor projects

Same thing in my area and in most part of the country (4hrs/day)...
Power supply is still epileptic
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 05, 2013
Just another way to swallow millions and claim it was used to buy petrol for transportation
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 05, 2013
Wont the crack team collect bribe from non functioning contractors and then blame GEJ for failing in his duty while they are the ones that failed in their duty.

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by gerald09(m): 9:42am On Mar 05, 2013
40 out of 491! Wow! PDP listening n listening good, dis is the 21st century I hope una not planning to still use "I will give u light, good road and water" as campaign strategy? For heaven sake even ghana don't use dat anymore. Am so surprised that grown men dat c dem selves as demi gods still play d game of throwing pup on dem selves and call it wisdom.
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Scarpon(m): 9:46am On Mar 05, 2013
emmysenior: cheesy grin "Thier" wetin?
too many abandoned projects in lag
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by gerald09(m): 9:49am On Mar 05, 2013
gboss4sure: Wont the crack team collect bribe from non functioning contractors and then blame GEJ for failing in his duty while they are the ones that failed in their duty.
That is exactly what will happen. Cos 80% of Nigerians dat will be opportune to carry out dat function will collect bribe (normal) and d remaining 20% will probably not show up at all. After everi dey start the "blame jonna game".

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Mamaflex(f): 9:57am On Mar 05, 2013
40 out of 491. More reason why APC should adopt that broom logo. undecided

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by romanlaw(m): 10:04am On Mar 05, 2013
Scarpon: thier should start from Lagos

Its because of people like you that GEJ renamed Unilag to Maulag.

1 Like

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by DobleO7: 10:12am On Mar 05, 2013
The FG should put these contractors on their toes, so that they can Execute and deliver the job in record time.
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by AZeD1(m): 10:15am On Mar 05, 2013
I'm 99% a GEJ critic but guys power sector contracts/projects take time. I don't expect our power problems to be over by 2015(not because GEJ is clueless) but because power is a capital intensive sector with low profit margins.

On another note, where are the mumu's who told us that the jamboree disguised as GGT was a good thing? Why does the FG have to send a "crack" team around the country when the GGT carnival is not yet over?
Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Elueme: 10:30am On Mar 05, 2013
Certainly a step in the right direction. The NGGTour has actually opened the eyes of the government that some of these contractors have not been sincere on timely delivery of the power projects. They keep feeding Abuja with different tunes and sounds as per progress being made whereas things ain't as rosy as they make it seem and the most annoying is the collaboration between these contractors and the government agencies stationed at the power plants to monitor these project. Most of the power projects physically inspected during the tour are within 70-90% completed but if hard measures are not taken these contractors could sabotage government's effort, but unfortunately the mandate of the tour isn't to sanction or scud anybody but to report back to the authority that oversees such projects for actions and I think that is what has informed this next move. This government is determined to deliver on power. They need our prayers and support

3 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by IphyGrace: 10:42am On Mar 05, 2013
those screaming that 8 percent is failure at this time are like passengers that left lagos for abuja on a bus and in an hours time noticed they are in ibadan and all they can say to the driver is that he is a failure that by now they are meant to be in lokoja.

4 Likes

Re: FG To Begin Inspection Of Power Projects by Elueme: 10:46am On Mar 05, 2013
A-ZeD:
I'm 99% a GEJ critic but guys power sector contracts/projects take time. I don't expect our power problems to be over by 2015(not because GEJ is clueless) but because power is a capital intensive sector with low profit margins.

On another note, where are the mumu's who told us that the jamboree disguised as GGT was a good thing? Why does the FG have to send a "crack" team around the country when the GGT carnival is not yet over?
The aim of NGGT was not to scud or sanction anybody. Neither is it to rate any governor. I think this was part of the original plan but the governors amended it before the final blueprint was endorsed by the FEC, NCS and the NGF. This is why it will be foolish and amounts to betrayal and dishonor if any governor now seeks to dance a different tune. The purpose of the tour is only centered on development and progress being made so far and it has been not partisan until some ACN govs try to politicize the process. It 's being led by the NUJ president whie all the major print and television houses as well as civil society groups including PRONACO as well as some other NGOs who are directly linked to projects monitoring.the sim and mandate is to showcase development so far, ascertain what the fed, state and local tiers of government are doing as well as note the challenges and prospects for appropriate actions and future planing. Since the inception of the tour, many state governors are working all round towards wat they can showcase, contractors are having sleepless nights to deliver on projects, some projects( road contracts ) were revoked in the north centre, and this present stand of sending crack teams for NIPP must have been informed by the report from this tour. I watched how unpleased the minister was with the level of progress in GBaran power site in Bayelsa. This is progress. Our govt has been doing poorly in project monitoring and I think this culture should change. Gov Amaechi did well as a governor in Rivers because he was deeply monitoring projects personally.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

GOV.FASHOLA,ASIWAJU BOLA AHMED TINUBU GET N600 MILLION BULLET PROOF JEEPS / What Does "In Like Sum Of" Depict In The Court Of Law? / Abuja Vs Hong Kong In Pictures. 7up The Diff Is Clear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.