Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? (35039 Views)

Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by sexyglow(f): 6:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
Wole Soyinka no be 3rd class him graduate with?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2013
pro01:

Lecturers prey on vulnerable girls in virtually all public schools in Nigeria. By 'vulnerable', I mean academic vulnerability. However, in many of such schools, lecturers typically avoid girls that are very strong academically. They can't risk failing a girl whose script is 2.1 standard and can stand the strictest scrutiny by independent markers. That's why they settle for the less 'capable' girls, who, thankfully (for the lecturers) are often in the majority, and are often more beautiful and sexually appealing than the brilliant girls anyway. Those ones struggling to make 2.2 are the easiest preys. Randy lecturers hardly disturb academically above average girls. The risks far outweigh the reward.

That is a sweeping declaration, and it probably indicates sour grapes. Then again, it depends on the school in question. I know for sure that most 2.1 and 1st Class graduates in reputable federal schools such as UI, OAU, UNN, UNILORIN, etc. earned it, while only a few forced their way in with help. I can't say the same for your school (and many other private and state-owned institutions).

If you're dating the sort of man that can "deal with" someone (I assume the 'street' way), then I guess you're not so squeaky clean as to evade the lecturer's advances at the cost of a good degree. In any case, bringing your man into the situation is a sure way of not graduating at all. Thank goodness you knew better.

First of all, if u thought I'm academically vulnerable, then you thought wrong! I don't claim to be anything but I know what I can do.
He is not the only lecturer that has asked me out that I turned down as politely as possible. I don't dress indecently to school especially, I guess the only crime I commit is being regular to class and being on the front row desk, asking questions when I don't understand, that all. And none of them has ever failed me! But some lecturers are just too stubborn, some faculties are more deadly than others so get your facts right, ok. On my own I can write to the school authority and have my scripts re-marked but you have no idea the kinda politics that go on in my school.
In fact, my former Dean of Faculty who is a professor now, a man I respect so much, he was surprised to see me in a carry over class, he asked me what happened but I couldn't bring myself to tell him, I don't want it to be seen as reporting the lecturer and I don't wanna raise unnecessary dust.
And I'm not saying that I'm clean, but a lot of people can get dirty *just an expression* when u infringe on them and my man is that type of man, but I'm not, I just let things go. On my own I can get him whisked away and given the beating of his life, I can do it but I won't. I'm not a street girl, and will never date one ok?

As for my man knowing? He knows by default, I don't hide things from him and he wanted to come in cos he hates to see me in pains.

I remember few years back, some lecturer in FUTO tried this with my boss's daughter, but when he learned the daughter of whom he was messing with, he picked race.

I'm just a simple girl who is trying to make her life better against all odds, I don't just want problem ok.

2 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by 1wolex85: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2013
jude33084: Do you mean certificate? undecided

Because your degree is in you ♏ãn.
Besides alot of successful business and hitech guys in Naija had 3rd class.

In Shell aptitude text 3rd class did better than the so called 2nd class upper cheesy

One 2nd class upper from Delsu that graduated from masscom couldn't spell "broadcasting" cheesy cheesy grin
Guy u don lie! Shell doesn't call 3rd class for aptitude test

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by teelord1(m): 6:10pm On Mar 09, 2013
Ur result in school I mean wat u come out with give u attention in the outside world if you come out with a 3rd class they blive u not responsible despite wat u have upstairs because dat gives dem 1st impression abt u. Pls pple still in school give ur best to come out with a good grade dat will give pple in d outside world a clause of attention towards u despite wat u have upstairs.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Cruxxy(m): 6:11pm On Mar 09, 2013
try69: Pastor chris oyakhilomen,third class.
Wole soyinka, third class.

Theory: most third class candidates grin grin grin in 9ja were not supposed to come out with such and so the educational system is judged a failure. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Me nko? I no send anybody. All i know be say i be graduate
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by metti(m): 6:12pm On Mar 09, 2013
okorafor aboy: my dad had 3rd class,but he is one of the best lawyers in imo state.me,i had 2.2 but my dad dey intelligent pass me!

Who is your dad?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Sleekbaby(f): 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2013
Dear 3rd class is far far more beta, d famous wole soyinka came out wit 3rd class
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by homosapien(m): 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2013
omaigala: Most people 2.2s & 2.1s bribed or cheated to be awarded with such grades. How about that?
Is that from experience. Anyway u wrong on that assumption.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by 2great: 6:36pm On Mar 09, 2013
Soso990240: *yawns*na nw i go knw people wey graduate wit 3rd class..hehehehehehe.

Yep! I'm a 3rd class grad8.I got a job 2mths afta NYSC in a popular PLC company headquaterd in Lagos 2 head a major dept. I amaze people wt my perfomance dt noone wld ever believ my grade or dt m a fresh grad self.Anyway,God&my interview per4mance gt me d job. My 2:1,2:2 friends still submit dia CV to me for job assistance.Ur person supersedes certfcate in interview n on d job too.
Though,I wld advice anyone in sch to try get a gud grade by all means.My family wanted me to apply to study abroad now but I'm kinda scared if I can ever get anytin done so iv bin delaying. Meanwhile, d tot of not being able 2 flaunt my certfcate anyhow is anoda pain. A gud degree dosnt guarrantee success or gr8 job o.

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by blackbeau1(f): 6:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
3rd class
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Babymyne: 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2013
omaigala: Most people 2.2s & 2.1s bribed or cheated to be awarded with such grades. How about that?
how u go talk like dis? U think sey na everybody be olodo?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by abbeybanks(m): 6:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
When I first saw the topic what struck M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ mind was that with the current level/standard of education in Nigeria a true 3rd class holder is far better than over %70 of current crop of 2nd class holders parading as graduate.SMH
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by seunwen2(m): 6:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
U guys r not talking about those who their career have capside due to their 3rd class grade
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by SBabaJ(m): 6:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
2great:

Yep! I'm a 3rd class grad8.I got a job 2mths afta NYSC in a popular PLC company headquaterd in Lagos 2 head a major dept. I amaze people wt my perfomance dt noone wld ever believ my grade or dt m a fresh grad self.Anyway,God&my interview per4mance gt me d job. My 2:1,2:2 friends still submit dia CV to me for job assistance.Ur person supersedes certfcate in interview n on d job too.
Though,I wld advice anyone in sch to try get a gud grade by all means.My family wanted me to apply to study abroad now but I'm kinda scared if I can ever get anytin done so iv bin delaying. Meanwhile, d tot of not being able 2 flaunt my certfcate anyhow is anoda pain. A gud degree dosnt guarrantee success or gr8 job o.
Fresh Graduate To Head A Major Department? With or Without Experience? Just What Is Your "Popular PLC company" Involved In?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Seun(m): 6:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
Trigger Happy: You are right, even SEUN got 3rd class but he used his third class knowledge very well by creating NAIRALAND. grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
This is a completely false & deceptive lie. It's not even funny. Update: The last time I checked my CGPA, it was 4.83. It was quite ok.

2 Likes

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by SBabaJ(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
Sleekbaby: Dear 3rd class is far far more beta, d famous wole soyinka came out wit 3rd class
Third Class Honours From Where? U.I. Or Leeds? Have You Taken Time Out To Read His Profile?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by SBabaJ(m): 6:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
James Lucia: Nigerians cherish papers rather than what one can offer. many third class holders have it cos d never had money to sort lecturers. 60% of third class holders are more intelligent than first class holders.
This Comment Says A lot About You....Did You Bother To Read It Before Posting?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 6:57pm On Mar 09, 2013
2great:

They make it sound like the best should happen to you cos u are best, anyway, it happens that way in heaven, not on earth! Life is not just fair!

I have not graduated yet, only God knows my fate. But I have a cousin who graduated from U1 3yrs ago, with 2.1 o, and she is even born again. Sometimes I wish I could be as half as principled as her. This babe don waka Lagos tire, she don write test tire; Chevron, Banks, SPDC, NNPC, MTN but nothing yet. Our other cousin that graduated same year as her, same course, that one sef no siddon read book o but she is with an oil servicing firm in Phc. Life eh? Only God knows......
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 09, 2013

60% of third class holders are more intelligent than first class holders.
SBabaJ:
This Comment Says A lot About You....Did You Bother To Read It Before Posting?
Lol. SMH. We're in trouble in this country. Big trouble.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by sureway1(m): 7:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Are you pastor chris?
are you gani fawhemi?
are you wole soyinka?
don't settle for mediocrity...
be urself and aim high..
things are changing..
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
vivian chinaza:

First of all, if u thought I'm academically vulnerable, then you thought wrong! I don't claim to be anything but I know what I can do.
He is not the only lecturer that has asked me out that I turned down as politely as possible. I don't dress indecently to school especially, I guess the only crime I commit is being regular to class and being on the front row desk, asking questions when I don't understand, that all. And none of them has ever failed me! But some lecturers are just too stubborn, some faculties are more deadly than others so get your facts right, ok. On my own I can write to the school authority and have my scripts re-marked but you have no idea the kinda politics that go on in my school.
In fact, my former Dean of Faculty who is a professor now, a man I respect so much, he was surprised to see me in a carry over class, he asked me what happened but I couldn't bring myself to tell him, I don't want it to be seen as reporting the lecturer and I don't wanna raise unnecessary dust.
And I'm not saying that I'm clean, but a lot of people can get dirty *just an expression* when u infringe on them and my man is that type of man, but I'm not, I just let things go. On my own I can get him whisked away and given the beating of his life, I can do it but I won't. I'm not a street girl, and will never date one ok?

As for my man knowing? He knows by default, I don't hide things from him and he wanted to come in cos he hates to see me in pains.

I remember few years back, some lecturer in FUTO tried this with my boss's daughter, but when he learned the daughter of whom he was messing with, he picked race.

I'm just a simple girl who is trying to make her life better against all odds, I don't just want problem ok.
Well said my sister!!You sound here like the speech a well known Female entrepreneur made at d Nnamdi Azikiwe yearly lecture which I attended. Į̸̸̨ƭ is well.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by servehenry: 7:13pm On Mar 09, 2013
mbhs139: I totally agree with the person that says your degree is in you. I graduated with a 3rd class in mathematics at the university of lagos, yes, a 3rd class and i have never looked for job, and would never look for job.

you may contact me if you need a job; check my profile- do me a mail, i got some openings coming up
Pls am seriously lookin for a job,if its deres openin here's ma email - servehenryy@gmail.com
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by coputa(m): 7:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
Former governor of Abia state Dr.Uzor kalu did not complete his semesters in the university yet he was awarded a degree..which means he made it to the top without a university degree...so whatever class u are awarded it is you and not the certificate that will make the difference.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
I prefer people with 3rd class to 2nd Upper. 3rd class holders think outside the box, First Class and 2 upper seem to be glued to their specific fields from experience, they are almost always dysfunctional on other fields.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 09, 2013
vivian chinaza:

They make it sound like the best should happen to you cos u are best, anyway, it happens that way in heaven, not on earth! Life is not just fair!

I have not graduated yet, only God knows my fate. But I have a cousin who graduated from U1 3yrs ago, with 2.1 o, and she is even born again. Sometimes I wish I could be as half as principled as her. This babe don waka Lagos tire, she don write test tire; Chevron, Banks, SPDC, NNPC, MTN but nothing yet. Our other cousin that graduated same year as her, same course, that one sef no siddon read book o but she is with an oil servicing firm in Phc. Life eh? Only God knows......

There are countless cases like that, and I guess this anomalous situation is what emboldens Third Class graduates in this country. The born again Lady does not have a job yet, in spite of her brilliance, simply because she has no connections and worst of all is born-again and principled (which means she cannot 'play ball'). On the other hand, the 'wakabout' babe got her job through the backdoor. For guys, 'backdoor' only means connections and bribes; for girls, backdoor includes you-know-what.

We should not use these unfair examples to justify mediocrity and rub it in the face of those that actually deserve more but get less because of the rot in all spheres of Nigeria. No wonder the country remains backward. Too much ojoro and wuruwuru in everything.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Mar 09, 2013
James Lucia: Nigerians cherish papers rather than what one can offer. many third class holders have it cos d never had money to sort lecturers. 60% of third class holders are more intelligent than first class holders.
so ‎u r saying that one needs τ̲̅ȍ settle lectures τ̲̅ȍ escape a 3rd class?!well ‎u definitely have •̸№ stuff in you.cos Soyinka. Had a 3rd class and was able τ̲̅ȍ make a mark,what of the others with 3rd class who will never make a mark cos they r sooo empty upstairs.And mind ‎u Soyinka ,Gani and Falana types were obviously victimized cos they were challenging their school authorities.What's in ‎u??
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ajufinz(m): 7:20pm On Mar 09, 2013
jude33084: Do you mean certificate? undecided

Because your degree is in you ♏ãn.
Besides alot of successful business and hitech guys in Naija had 3rd class.

In Shell aptitude text 3rd class did better than the so called 2nd class upper cheesy

One 2nd class upper from Delsu that graduated from masscom couldn't spell "broadcasting" cheesy cheesy grin

I'm sure U didn't make 3rd class or 2.1 urself. 'Shell aptitude text '
slip of finger....
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 7:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
pro01:

There are countless cases like that, and I guess this anomalous situation is what emboldens Third Class graduates in this country. The born again Lady does not have a job yet, in spite of her brilliance, simply because she has no connections and worst of all is born-again and principled (which means she cannot 'play ball'). On the other hand, the 'wakabout' babe got her job through the backdoor. For guys, 'backdoor' only means connections and bribes; for girls, backdoor includes you-know-what.

We should not use these unfair examples to justify mediocrity and rub it in the face of those that actually deserve more but get less because of the rot in all spheres of Nigeria. No wonder the country remains backward. Too much ojoro and wuruwuru in everything.

Its a two way thing. Look at it from the other angle, you can be good, yet bad thing happens to u anyway. It shouldn't be ur fault, u shouldn't be killed or mocked for it. You can be intelligent and still come out with a third class and vice versa. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for excellence. Sometimes life is enigmatic!

Right now it doesn't matter what my grade says but what I have in me. Even if I fail, I'm gonna try again and I'm gonna work harder. Sometimes when u are done working hard and nothing happens, u work harder.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
vivian chinaza:

Its a too way thing. Look at it from the other angle, you can be good, yet bad thing happens to u anyway. It shouldn't be ur fault, u shouldn't be killed or mocked for it. You can be intelligent and still come out with a third class and vice versa. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for excellence. Sometimes life is enigmatic!

Right now it doesn't matter what my grade says but what I have in me. Even if I fail, I'm gonna try again and I'm gonna work harder. Sometimes when u are done working hard and nothing happens, u work harder.

Seems you have already resigned to your 'fate'; you shouldn't, since you're lucky enough to be in a position where you can still do something about it. If 2.2 is what is left to strive for, then you must make that happen at all costs, just to be on the safe side.

To be clear, there are lots of brilliant Third Class and Pass graduates out there. Some made those grades due to misfortune, some due to circumstances, others due to sheer unseriousness. It doesn't define who a person it. It's just that, in an environment (labour market) that is highly competitive, one puts himself or herself at a serious disadvantage by graduating with anything less than 2.2 in today's Nigeria where hundreds of private schools are minting thousands of 'ajebo' 2.1/2.2 graduates with connections to boot. How can one compete without the basic 2.2 as an entry level job hopeful? Not everyone would be as lucky as the 'examples' freely vaunted on this thread. It's hard enough to win a lottery; not having a ticket at all makes it all but impossible.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by abdulkayus(m): 7:42pm On Mar 09, 2013
cases like Vivian chinasa and others dat some useless God forsaken lecturers would wan to be sort or would wan to tidy a lady make me sad wallahi. Athough us dat school in d north are very lucky, cos cases like sortin or sleepin wit lecturers is very very rare. Its nt dat its doesnt happen, bt its very discreet and it like it almost nt happen. Cos if d school authority heard abt it, dat is d end of d lecturer and d society in d north really abhor it. Dat is y most graduates frm northern university worth their salt.
Bac to d topic, half bread is better dan none. And in dis 9ja of 2day, even a 3rd class dat is nt competent enuf may get a job faster dan 1st class competent graduate cos of connection. Bt, there is wat we call destiny.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by kishimi8(m): 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
poccahunter: sometimes, if not most, grade is not the true text of knowledge.

i can see why grades don't matter to you
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by vivianc(f): 7:54pm On Mar 09, 2013
pro01:

Seems you have already resigned to your 'fate'; you shouldn't, since you're lucky enough to be in a position where you can still do something about it. If 2.2 is what is left to strive for, then you must make that happen at all costs, just to be on the safe side.

To be clear, there are lots of brilliant Third Class and Pass graduates out there. Some made those grades due to misfortune, some due to circumstances, others due to sheer unseriousness. It doesn't define who a person it. It's just that, in an environment (labour market) that is highly competitive, one puts himself or herself at a serious disadvantage by graduating with anything less than 2.2 in today's Nigeria where hundreds of private schools are minting thousands of 'ajebo' 2.1/2.2 graduates with connections to boot. How can one compete without the basic 2.2 as an entry level job hopeful? Not everyone would be as lucky as the 'examples' freely vaunted on this thread. It's hard enough to win a lottery; not having a ticket at all makes it all but impossible.

Yea, I can still make 2.1 if I can make As in all my remaining courses, I'm gonna strive as hard as possible cos I don't wanna be in anything below 3.30 (by God's grace). I have also planned on chattering immediately I graduate before I go for my M.sc. All I ask for now is grace from Him cos I can't do this all by myself.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

LASU Students Celebrate Old School Day / Parent Reporting Queens College Management For Coverup Of Child Molestation / UNN Female Graduate Bags First Class In Law (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.