Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? (35038 Views)

Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree / For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by lookmangiw(m): 10:43am On Mar 10, 2013
sundayk: common wake up! third class does not mean all is finished. Success itself is a journey. Its better not to have a degree at all rather than to graduate with third class(for me). Companies/Organizations these days demands for 2-2 at least before you can write their test.
please can you just make this trash that you have written to be more understandable.please
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by DrSadikMagaji(m): 10:56am On Mar 10, 2013
Grades doesn't define intelligence,
So Age doesn't define maturity

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by kolamilan(m): 11:03am On Mar 10, 2013
he be like say na 3rd class plenty pass for this thread oo
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Chomzy19(f): 11:26am On Mar 10, 2013
fankasibe: employment is all about[b] LUCK[/b] nowadays........even FIRST CLASS guru dey sell recharge card under umbrella
see as u dey expose urself, All first class students get automatic employment frm d universities they attented - private, stete or federal
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 10, 2013
ckkris:

Do you, Mr 1st Class, understand the difference between 'most' and 'all'?
shut up your mouth, there is a little difference between most and all. And that's a cruel thing to say. Is that how people bribe in your school?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Chigorkizz(m): 12:17pm On Mar 10, 2013
SIRCONFIDENCE: Nowadays in Nigeria, majority of first of class n second class upper cann't withstand the competence of the brillant third class.
why una dey beef pple wey get 2.1 2.2.and 1st class.
Listen dude!Anytin u dnt hav,u dnt hav it.period.
This tread is btw 3rd class and no result which 1 is better.i wonder why u guys are condeming 2.1,2.2 and 1st class.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ibkgab001: 12:20pm On Mar 10, 2013
grin ;DAttendance Certificae self get level pass no certificate
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by teejaybest(m): 12:50pm On Mar 10, 2013
3rd class is more better than pass..but in Nigeria these days ur degree does not matter again cos a 3rd class candidate can hve a more lucrative job than 1st class..vice versa
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by onila(f): 1:44pm On Mar 10, 2013
Seun:
This is a completely false & deceptive lie. It's not even funny.
grin grin
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 10, 2013
3rd class is better dan none, i ve a colegue who is a 3rd class graduate n i see him to b vry shap n brilliant than some wit 2 2, rember is has a pensionable job now why some 2 1 ve not got any, any situation u find ursef give tx to God. we shold always endevour to read our book wen schooling, some actually play off their time dat lead them to 3rd class.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by IronFist(m): 3:03pm On Mar 10, 2013
Just for 3rd Class Degree holders out there to know, all hope isn't lost. I graduated with a 3rd Class and currently have a very fantastic job with an Oil Producing Company. If it worked out for me, it can also work out for you. Success isn't defined by the quality of the Degree you have.

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by badesco(m): 3:51pm On Mar 10, 2013
of course 3rd class is much more better than no degree.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by dynasty4u: 4:06pm On Mar 10, 2013
Guy park well joor, i agree with ur first statement but your second choi! where you see shell dey call 3rd class for aptitude test? get your facts straight and rational.
jude33084: Do you mean certificate? undecided

Because your degree is in you ♏ãn.
Besides alot of successful business and hitech guys in Naija had 3rd class.

In Shell aptitude text 3rd class did better than the so called 2nd class upper cheesy

One 2nd class upper from Delsu that graduated from masscom couldn't spell "broadcasting" cheesy cheesy grin
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by TriggerHappy: 5:34pm On Mar 10, 2013
Seun:
This is a completely false & deceptive lie. It's not even funny.
And who said i'm saying it for u to laff, u shld hv ignore it if u know it ain't trueeeeeeeeeeeeee grin
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by TriggerHappy: 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2013
Billyonaire: I prefer people with 3rd class to 2nd Upper. 3rd class holders think outside the box, First Class and 2 upper seem to be glued to their specific fields from experience, they are almost always dysfunctional on other fields.
Absolute nonsense
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by AdaStacy(f): 5:46pm On Mar 10, 2013
2ru-talk:
So many factors can be responsible for all these 1st class, 2nd class, 3rd class blablabla: It could be due to lack of finance or lack of concentration due to illness or something like that. I made 2.2 in Economics, but something happened which made me have this school of thought that most 1st class or 2.1 graduates especially from Private Unis do not deserve it.
I have a friend whose GP was up to 3.5 in his third year but due to a problem he had with one of his lecturers he spent extra 2yrs and his CGPA was divided by 6 thereby landing him to 3rd class. This guy in question is so bright.

Precisely, I wrote entrance exam for admission into Unilag PG School. The total score for Full time candidates consisted of Class of degree and exam score. Those who made 1st class were given 30 marks bonus, while 2.1 got 25marks and 2.2 20 marks. It was shocking that many people who made 1st class, especially from Private Unis got 30 marks bonus but scored less than 10% in the exam. The exam sheet is there for confirmation (Dept. of Econs, PG, Unilag). Most people that got the highest scores were 2.2 and 2.1 graduates with up to 50marks. So that someone made 3rd class does not mean (holding other factors constant) that the person is not intelligent.
hello 2ru-talk,pls how can i get past questions for the pg exams?
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by tadysmart(m): 6:56pm On Mar 10, 2013
My sadness grows each time I reread Emenyonu’s essay or recall my personal experiences with students who wanted grades that cast them as excellent, but who were loath to do the requisite work. As Emenyonu stated, many students of tertiary institutions “are receiving no
 worthwhile education at all,” their sponsors “paying for their
 children to be duped by lecturers and if they learn anything at all, it is
 experiencing first hand how to camouflage appearance for reality.” Emenyonu continued: “The
 sharp ones among them are receiving their first orientation into obtaining
 goods, laurels, and wealth by false pretences, alias, 419. However, the
 most irreparable harm done by ‘Sorting,’ is that Education is being
 mirrored as inconsequential in the development of a nation; the degrees we
 award have no value and the years spent in institutions of higher learning
 are irrelevant, and rigor as a crucial virtue to be acquired in the course of one's education is an avoidable and unnecessary self imposed
 hardship.”
Read more here http://mobile.saharareporters.com/column/sexually-transmitted-degrees-okey-ndibe

Therefore being aware that the writer is absolutely correct I do not place or attach any importance to first class graduates.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by tomakint: 9:03pm On Mar 10, 2013
First thing first, the topic should have been 'a pass degree or no degree at all' so many people take 3rd class as an inferior degree which in reality is not! I know of so many 3rd class holders doing great in their respectives career lives, I think the most important thing in this regard is to position yourselves for good opportunities by seeking d face of God in prayers! The reality is, God alone blesses and not ur class of degrees, therefore SEEK HIM DAILY cool
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Biafrarep(m): 9:36pm On Mar 10, 2013
vivian chinaza:

No I'm not, sorry I can't tell you my school cos I'm here with my real name. U never can tell who is viewing.
No problem I do understand, just that your analysis is a typical situation there though its more or less the same across Nigerian tertiary institutions. My take is that all aptitude test exams should not exclude third class graduates because many 2.1 and 2.2 graduates can't defend their degree while many 3.0 class graduates are way better but were simply unfortunate to end up with that because of one reason or the other.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Kudoosm: 10:48pm On Mar 10, 2013
Its neither grades that defines intelligence nor age that defines maturity
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by mkoabiola: 12:21am On Mar 11, 2013
Which kind question b ds.
Even if I av pass ,I don't mind.
Afterall,all dese crooks poltiticians av pass.
Rotimi Amechi had pass ,late Gani fawehinmi is not left out.here dey are.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 3:23am On Mar 11, 2013
pro01:
A fair recruitment process, in the context in which I used the term, is one where the rules are followed without backdoor avenues for nepotism and shortcuts. If the vacancy advertisements invite only graduates with a minimum of 2.2, then graduates with Third Class and below should have no chance of forcing their way in. Simple.

Frankly, that is a philosophical discussion for another day. However, the fact remains that, even with the present 'norm' of restricting applications to a minimum of 2.2, the number of applicants for just about every vacancy is unmanageable. Don't forget that the more the applicants, the more expensive, prolonged, and difficult the recruitment process would be. I'm sure no organisation wants to waste its all its time and resources on recruitment. There has to be a fair-enough and practicable way of restricting applications to a manageable number of qualified people.

This should be self-evident, Mr. Kingsley. Assuming they're all from relevant courses (in a specific job context) 2.1 is better qualified than 2.2, and 2.2 is better qualified than 3rd Class, and 3rd Class is better qualified than Pass - on paper, of course. Then again, lest we forget, all 'paper' qualifications (which is what our degrees are) are all on paper after all. I didn't say 'better', neither did I say more intelligent. I only said "more qualifed", and rightly so.

I did mention earlier that the class divisions (as it were) are less apparent in professional/technical fields. Then again, professionals qualify as professionals, but even at that, I doubt a 3rd Class entry-level Engineer would ever get invited to the recruitment process of any major oil company (not the one-man 'oil servicing' enterprises). I guess it means that are are not qualified 'enough'.

Again, this is outside the remit of this thread. It is not about defending corruptly acquired 1st Class, 2.1, or 2.2 degrees; it is about evaluating the chance of a 3rd Class graduate competing favourably in the labour market, with the class-of-degree-based restrictions imposed by most employers. That's what the thread is about. I, more than any one else, am disgusted by cheaply/illicitly acquired grades, but that is another discussion altogether.

Lol. You think "fronting" or "haughtiness" is what this is about? Fronting for who in order to gain what? For all you know, I might even be a university dropout. My travails with education is an intriguing story that I might tell someday. However, the truth must always be said as one sees it. It's not about hurting anyone's sensibilities. It's about answering the questions posed by the OP in its intended context.

In any case, as I stated in a previous post, class of degree does NOT define anyone. People can go on to achieve success in diverse endeavours in spite of their education, or the lack thereof, let alone the class of degree. Nonetheless, we need to encourage those that are still in school to make the most of that golden opportunity.

Hello,

As long as we agree on the bold sentence above, then there is no ground for debate.

All employers are entitled to their method of selection, and if its working for them, then all is well.

Have a nice day

Regards
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by ogbonnajude507: 8:24am On Mar 11, 2013
Do not settle 4 mediocrity.we all had d chance and opportunity to come out with any kind of result u want.y settle 4 3rd class when u can come. Wit first class,2:1or 2:2 that a hitech n well connected dudes got jobs with 3rd class or u wrote exams and did better than first class or 2:1 of which we can't verify doesn't erase d fact that u came out. With 3rd class a very poor result.nigerians should wake up from their slumber.our country is a second hand country because we give room for mediocrity.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 12, 2013
Thank you very much Ogbonna for speaking my mind!!i
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by sundayk: 8:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
mbhs139: My problem is I'm trying to correlate your statements together; you seem to be confused.

Agreed

Another good point

This is where you muddled it up

Well, perhaps because you and many others have put your destinies in their hands.

May be you would want to tell us exactly what you mean

is like u lack understanding. I gave my personal stake on not having a degree than graduating with a third class, and you seem not to understand. Yours might be different.
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by babashiko(m): 8:31pm On Sep 12, 2014
Even pass sef
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by MercyLady(f): 4:25am On Jun 04, 2015
Hi, i would like to know. Why do people look down or hate on first class graduates?
Sometimes, it is almost incomprehensible that the next person beside you or a neighbor is rating you down because you are a first class.
Even worse if you are a private university graduate.
Most people quickly point out practical skills as if it can't be acquired by any first class student.
We all know the good guys acquire special stills outside the classroom - which is not restricted graduates without first class.
They can't just believe you can graduate with a first class and also be practically equipped easily.
I believe first class students / graduates are not robots that can be evaluated within a short minute or just by observation.
Meanwhile, with the backing of good role models, personal development, financial support from loved ones, etc. a first class may also be the best candidate for a job both in terms of practical skills or whatever condition expected.
I have seen people who said and wrote that they intentionally doesn't want a first class grade.
I also believe the quality of education system should be reflected in the grades of the student.
In most of the top universities in the world, a high percentage of students gets good grades, distinction because all the things required to achieve that are effective and well utilized and organized.
Bad grades should not depict good quality but a questionable one.
Guys what do you think about this ?

1 Like

Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by Mrgreatness(m): 9:49pm On Aug 25, 2018
Tolexander:
you seem to be a living example sir!
I'm a proof sir
Re: 3rd Class Degree, Or No Degree At All: Which Is Better? by kristlike: 11:50pm On Aug 25, 2018
following

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

LASU Students Celebrate Old School Day / Parent Reporting Queens College Management For Coverup Of Child Molestation / UNN Female Graduate Bags First Class In Law (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.