Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? (7203 Views)

My Story On Child Abuse And The Doctrine Of Eternal Torment / Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment / Re : The Sadism Of Eternal Torture And The Harshness Of It's Adherents. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by ezme(m): 10:19am On Mar 09, 2013
I have heard many believers say they live for the world that is to come and do not care about what happens in this world. While reflecting privately on my ideologies and perception of the world around me, I got thinking of the promise of "eternal life".

The movie "Shrek forever after" created a mental picture of what eternity would look like after he signed his deal with Rumpelstiltskin. All that kept coming to my mind was stagnation,no aging,same drill everyday (singing & praising God),and nothing outside this routine to look forward to. Then I also got thinking of the concept of a meaningful life. What do we live for? What gives our life a meaning? As a Child in primary school,looking forward to growing up was enough reason to live, it made everyday worthwhile and gave you something to look forward to (a future). As an adult looking forward to starting a family and achieving your dreams makes it worthwhile and a sense of purpose. As an old man, I believe seeing your children achieve their dreams and have kids.

Now back to the promise of eternal life. Is it that attractive? Or is it the fear of eternal damnation that scares you? I would love to have diverse open-minded perspectives on this. Share your thoughts..

8 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by eduson33(m): 10:54am On Mar 09, 2013
do good,forsake evil,
for what so ever a man sow,he shall reap.

HONOR AND WORSHIP THY CREATOR.
at least you can be on the good side no matter what eternity will look like.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by akagaba(f): 10:59am On Mar 09, 2013
Seeking 4 irrelevant attention. Go and sit down my dear if thats ur daft perception abt eternal life. Who cares wat u thnk or say abt eternal life, al wat i can tel u is dat on d last day, we wil know. M0ron.

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by cyrexx: 11:14am On Mar 09, 2013
The concept of eternal life or eternal punishment was brought forth to generate followership for religions. A closer look at the idea will show that it, as well as entire religion itself, is purely man-made control mechanism.

8 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 09, 2013
Eternal life in a new heaven and earth , where there is no more death, pain or sorrow is the real deal.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4

5 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
akagaba: Seeking 4 irrelevant attention. Go and sit down my dear if thats ur daft perception abt eternal life. Who cares wat u thnk or say abt eternal life, al wat i can tel u is dat on d last day, we wil know. M0ron.
Great attribute of a Christian. You could have made your point without having to resort to insult. He asked a valid question, the least you can do is to give him a reasonable answer.

26 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:00pm On Mar 09, 2013
frosbel: Eternal life in a new heaven and earth , where there is no more death, pain or sorrow is the real deal.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." - Revelation 21:4
Great bible verse but it doesn't really answer the op's question.

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by ezme(m): 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2013
akagaba: Seeking 4 irrelevant attention. Go and sit down my dear if thats ur daft perception abt eternal life. Who cares wat u thnk or say abt eternal life, al wat i can tel u is dat on d last day, we wil know. M0ron.

I can see you had a hard time processing all I wrote up there. Sadly, I share your Christian faith but I definitely didn't throw away my ability to think independently of any prejudice I may have due to my faith. People like you give my signature a meaning.

15 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Akwenukemarho(m): 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2013
Very nice write up @ op, personally as a freethinker, I give no thoughts to what the after life holds, I'd rather channel my thoughts to ways I can make my life on earth worthwhile, the idea of eternity sucks, like the op rightly put it, there would be no dreams or aspiration cos u'll be living all eternity like just another day, there would be no goals no objectives to achieve and it's gon be very boring and tiring, and before long there would be another war in heaven ( that is if we're talking about heaven) and we'll experience everything we were experiencing while on earth all over again,

3 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 09, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
Great bible verse but it doesn't really answer the op's question.

it does !!

by implication it is appealing, who does not want eternal life.

As for eternal torment,we have been here before, it is false.

2 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by ezme(m): 3:39pm On Mar 09, 2013
frosbel: Eternal life in a new heaven and earth , where there is no more death, pain or sorrow is the real deal.

My argument actually is that the tribulations and uncertainties of life is what makes it worthwhile.Like 50cent said " Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain. Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain." Absent the sorrow and pain, would it still be a great feeling? Would the "law of diminishing utility" not come into play after a while?

2 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Akwenukemarho(m): 3:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
must u resort to calling the Op a M0ron? Is'nt it unchristian to call people names? Well I'm not so surprised seeing that christianity is among one of the most intolerant religions, you are indeed a christian,

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by cyrexx: 4:10am On Mar 10, 2013
Everybody is free to follow their fantasy, I won't stop them; but as for me, I desire no eternal life cos it diminishes the value of the only life we've got. Religion makes us look forward to an imaginary second life while surrendering our real life to religious control.

5 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by ezme(m): 9:10am On Mar 10, 2013
Just got back from church joining thousands of Christians world-over reaffirming our quest for eternal life.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by ezme(m): 9:12am On Mar 10, 2013
frosbel:

it does !!

by implication it is appealing, who does not want eternal life.

As for eternal torment,we have been here before, it is false.

Do you realize that it is the fear of eternal torment that actually makes eternal life the better alternative?

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 10, 2013
ezme:

Do you realize that it is the fear of eternal torment that actually makes eternal life the better alternative?

not for me, there is no such thing.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Nobody: 11:07am On Mar 10, 2013
Let me have eternal life even if it is boring.

3 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by yommy2sure(m): 11:07am On Mar 10, 2013
Eternity with 72 virgins is more appealing than just singing everyday

9 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Soso990240(m): 11:09am On Mar 10, 2013
cyrexx: The concept of eternal life or eternal punishment was brought forth to generate followership for religions. A closer look at the idea will show that it, as well as entire religion itself, is purely man-made control mechanism.
and who cares about d religion u ar followin? Nobdy can force u 2 worship wit dm..they wil jst tel u d truth.do ur wish.

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by IME1: 11:16am On Mar 10, 2013
This present life is a preparatory ground for eternal life. no matter how long or short you live on earth, there is eternity waiting for you- the kingdom of God for those who believe in His Son Jesus Christ or eternal fire for those who do ot accept His invitation to life...
Be Inspired!

2 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by IME1: 11:19am On Mar 10, 2013
You can decide to accept Jesus now or by the mercy of God receive that opportunity in your last minute like the man also nailed by Jesus' side or despise it like Judas, but the decision is your. God is alive. judgment and mercy are real...
Be Motivated

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by mkpologwu(m): 11:20am On Mar 10, 2013
Heavenly/supernatural stuffs are not for our understanding yet! Just do good here on earth and leave the rest. He who has faith in some other realms should keep such faith alive. He who hasn't should just do good and move on. Whatever happens after .....!

3 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Cashio(m): 11:21am On Mar 10, 2013
Christians believe in eternal life and eternal doom..our God is in heaven.what about the gods of other religions and what will be their fate on the last day..this whole idea is full of ambiguities
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Nobody: 11:24am On Mar 10, 2013
Believe what you want to believe and keep your opinion to yourself. There is a life after this life and that life is better than this life if you do right in this present life you gain entry into the life.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by IME1: 11:27am On Mar 10, 2013
We are all on the race to eternal life. where there is no sun for God is our Light, no heat, no need for AC. no moth, rust or robber, no need for security. no death, sickness or pain- no sorrow no tears no tribute or memorials. no terrorist- no need to dis an govt. no sin- no need for repentance. no confusion- all things we be made clear and understandable! phew need i say more. boy or girl, eternal life is most appealing- i say this having been tru ups and downs of life personally. no mata hw sweet earth is eternal life is better. no mata hw hard life is, to live and be wt God is our goal. i no wan go heaven because of pain of hell, heaven no be our fire policy, i wan go heaven because i wan live forever wt my Heavenly Father and behold the glory of the Lord...
Be Encouraged

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by An0nimus: 11:35am On Mar 10, 2013
We are already in Eternal life, this 'life' we have now is just phase one. Death opens the door to phase two. Your phase two depends on what decisions you take in phase one. My thoughts.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by IME1: 11:36am On Mar 10, 2013
i want to receive the promise of eternal life and i want every one too because i believe i and my loved ones past and present and to come will be reunited. there God will have what He wanted when He created the earth in the first place- sweet fellowship with His creation. the Bible tells us that we would interract wt animals and nature in pure relationship wt out fear or hurt.
think abt it when u die and u realize that God is real and hell is the alternative to believing in Jesus Christ, a message u heard on earth on nairaland and on the streets and u doubted- wot excuse would u have? meeen by then e go late die! some say if u die and realize there is no heaven or hell u wld ve lost nothing if u bliv or nt! that is 4 d doubting mind, i beliv joor!
I.M.E.

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by cyrexx: 11:55am On Mar 10, 2013
Hear hear.

3 Likes

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by Emmy35(f): 11:58am On Mar 10, 2013
Haba!!!!! Did u have to insult d op? I doubt it if u're a christian

1 Like

Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by eduson33(m): 12:01pm On Mar 10, 2013
me too.
jammyng: Let me have eternal life even if it is boring.
Re: How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? by cyrexx: 12:06pm On Mar 10, 2013
You may not realise but the concept of eternal life or eternal punishment based on one's religious belief is simply delusional and psychopathic evil. We have been indoctrinated from childhood to believe this nonsense so much that we don't see anything wrong with it.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Old Catholic Apostolic Church Now In Ado Ekiti / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens Sunday, October 31, 2021 / I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.