Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! (7206 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Do We Go To Hell If We Don’t Believe In Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 8:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
In 2012, reports emerged that a Gallup poll involving 57 countries ranks Ghana as the most religious country in the world. The publication read:

'Overall, 59% of those surveyed described themselves as religious, 23% said they are not religious, and 13% said they are convinced atheists.

'The nations with the highest percentages of self-described religious persons are Ghana, Nigeria, Armenia, Fiji, Macedonia, Romania, Iraq, Kenya, Peru, and Brazil.

The nations with the highest percentages of self-described 'convinced atheists' are China, Japan, the Czech Republic, France, South Korea, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Iceland, Australia, and Ireland.' ( You can read the poll report here: http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf ).

There is something peculiarly funny and interesting between in the socio-economics and living standards of countries which majority of citizens professed 'religious' as opposed to those countries where majority professed 'convinced atheists' ; - but that is a different matter .

In this piece, I want to argue that in large parts, the socio-cultural parameters for the validation of belief, are to say the least, misleading. And that most people who gladly tick / respond 'religious' to survey questionnaires in fact, do not believe. Easy! Please indulge me.

My contention is that most people, in fact, do not believe in God, although they may profess to it. Most people - Yes! That's your mum, daughter, your partner, your priest, your cousin who went to the convent or aspires to some 'respected' and privileged religious position, and definitely not the Pope!

But what is God?
Of course, most people know what I mean when I say God, but since some have adopted this watered down bull-crap of saying God is this nameless, faceless 'energy'/ 'force' that is ingrained in the human mind and fills our consciousness with virtue, and beauty and awe and directs the affairs of men or the universe,blah blahblah and all such nonsense, I am compelled to define what I mean by God.

The God I refer to is this omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent being that created the universe, everything in it, and sets laws for how to live in it. I speak of this God who has set aside some conducts and modes of behavior as virtues, and others as vices. I speak of this God with an earnest sense of justice, who listens to prayers, who intercedes in human affairs. Irrespective of the name assigned to him or the book being touted as his true Word.

So we know what God I speak of.
What is belief?
In general, we take an individual's word for it. A person's words declaring their stance on belief is accepted as the final arbiter. End of subject. After all, there's no tool to measure and ascertain the truth of that. And societal norms of politeness require that you do not question people on such matters, lest you be trespassing on the person's right to private thought. Accordingly, statements prefixed with 'I believe' automatically have a cocoon around them which fend off inquiry.

And this, dear reader, is how I submit to you that not all the reported 96 percent who responded 'religious' are indeed religious.

Let's verify 'Belief'
If I was to declare that I believe that Spain would win the World Cup, and then proceeded to the betting site, but did not put my money on Spain, what would you think of my belief? You would think that I didn't really believe that Spain would win the finals, right? Or if I was to believe that the bank I have shares in was going to collapse and that it would lead to huge losses to me, but proceeded to invest more money in that bank rather than withdraw my liquidity, would you think me sane and sober or ridiculous? In each scenario, you would conclude that I didn't really believe what I professed.

You see, to be convinced that I actually believe what I say requires that my actions, following the declaration of that belief, would reflect that belief. Cool? So that, if my actions were inconsistent with my beliefs, you would reject my claims to that belief. Cool?

Let's make this clear: It is impossible to be mistaken in one's beliefs. In other words, it is possible to believe that Spain would win the World Cup, even though they really wouldn't. But if one were to truly believe it, their actions would bear testimony to that - in this example, I would put my money on Spain at the betting site if I was into gambling, and was placing my bet.

Well, it is not so with religious beliefs. When someone declares that they believed in God, it is taken at face-value even though his or her actions are incongruent with a belief in God. We have so convinced ourselves that 'religious belief' is sacrosanct, that it ought not be questioned, and who the heck do you think you are subjecting someone's belief to verification and inquiry?! The result is a chasm between someone's stated beliefs and actual actions.

Really?
If 96 percent of Ghanaians believe in a God whom they pray to, who answers their prayers, watches their lives, and intercedes on our behalf, then our conduct, our actions must reflect that. Well, does it?

When we fall sick, we do not head to the church, to the temple or to the mosque to pray, (ah, but I am mistaken! Alas!, some do, with disastrous consequences! - but that is another matter). When we want an attire we see the tailor. When we have a legal case, we see a lawyer. When our car breaks down, we call a mechanic.

Why is it that when such cases arise we turn to other humans for help? Why do we not take our petitions to God directly and by-pass all these intermediary humans? We almost never choose exclusive prayer.

Here's a deal: let's abolish the law enforcement agencies, forget the military apparatus. Why not? God will protect his children. Unless of course, we aren't sure He will.

Is it the case that for all our professions of a belief in God, deep down we are unconvinced by it? Or that although for all the consolation that belief in God provides, we cannot count on Him protecting us? Or is it that it's just a 'nice' feeling to believe? Or that years of classical conditioning has ingrained in us the need for and a value of a security blanket? A fail-safe? Or we are just exhibiting the religious equivalence of the Stockholm syndrome?

Stockholm syndromeis a psychological phenomenon in which hostages(here, the flock) express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors (the faith or belief), sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness (Source: Wikipedia). ( See also, Oslo syndrome). (Texts in bracket are added).

.Oh, I dared say the Pope Doesn't Believe in God Either!

If you have read this far, then you do agree with me that if you say you believe something, then your actions and deeds must be in congruence with that belief. If what you do is inconsistent with your belief, it is more than safe to conclude that you really don't believe, and that you're just professing.

The Pope has never grown weary of reminding the world how benign, how merciful, how benevolent, and beneficent the infinite God he worships and whose wisdom is beyond reproach is. Hardly, does he realize the irony of conducting the business of God in bullet-proof cars. If the Pope believed that God is ultra-benevolent, ever merciful, and all powerful enough to protect him, and if He really intercedes on behalf of the worthy, why does the Pope need the services of bullet-proof vehicles, and the Swiss Guard? Won't God protect him? If there was danger lurking, won't God avert the danger? Wouldn't God brush aside a bullet directed at him? Or could a decent God who upholds justice, and punishes evil not change the assassin's mind and heart? Or couldn't He blight the assassin with some cool heart-attack? But is the Pope or the Vatican counting on God to protect him? No! Of course, not!

The simple, but brutal truth is that the Pope and the Vatican cannot vouch for God to protect the Pope against the simple physics of a firearm. That is why a massive security and surveillance infrastructure is in place to protect the Pope.

Now check this out: It is an open record that in May 1981 an assassination attempt was made on Pope John Paul II. When the bullet hit the Pope, did they rush him to any of the massive cathedrals in Italy? No, Sir. He was rushed to a hospital where doctors worked tirelessly on him. What would the faithfuls have said if the powers that be had rushed the shot Pope to the nearest church rather than a hospital? Wouldn't this have been the ultimate test of the efficacy of prayer, faith and belief? But here we were, when push came to shove, the Vatican, in spite of its vast reserve of 'faith-capital' fell on the skills of scientifically trained surgeons. What does this say about the professed 'belief' of the Vatican?

Days of intensive medical attention later, the recuperating Pope on his first public appearance, credited his close-shave escape from death to Our Lady of Fatimah! How very appreciative and fair to the medical doctors who were at his disposal to ensure he lived! The Pope said that Our Lady of Fatimah had guided the bullet from hitting his vital organs and that was how he'd lived. But as Richard Dawkins, writing in The God Delusion observed, if Our Lady of Fatimah was in the business of guiding bullets, why not guide the bullet entirely away from the body of the Pope? Perhaps, the Holy See would have approved of his wounded self being left to the munificence of Our Lady of Fatimah instead of summoning surgeons to his hospital bed? But of course, it is cruel to ask such questions, so we ignore the pointlessness of the Pope's professed beliefs and occupy our time admiring the devotion of the Vicar of Christ to his God.

All this, and So What?
Point of all this is this: A person's stated belief is never subjected to the rigors of robust inquiry. Instead, we treat such with fawning indulgence much like prostitutes cajole their clients for an extra stipend at the break of dawn.

And that is also what happens when ordinary people respond to survey questions. We are raised in the sociocultural preconditions of reverence for faith and belief. An overweening part of the religious belief machination is that faith and belief should never be questioned. As a matter of fact, having faith (religious beliefs) is brandished as a 'certificate of honor and character'. The laity is asked to demonstrate their faith by doing things for God. But never encouraged to validate faith itself by testing if God himself will return the courtesy.

We are culturally, classically conditioned to belong to one faith or another that we dare not question whether we truly have faith in the things we profess to. Since it is unbecoming to question or validate faith, it becomes the default position. Is it therefore any wonder that 96 percent of Ghanaians who responded to the Gallup poll claim to have belief in God?

So who are the Believers?
I submit that true believers are those whose conduct is meaningfully consistent with their beliefs - praying five times a day, going to church every Sunday, paying your monthly tithe, are simply not enough to be counted a true believer. It should be clearly evident that a believer's conduct would have been remarkably different if they did not believe in what they claim to believe.

If a person claims to believe in miracles, and does not turn to doctors when afflicted with disease, but turns to prayer for healing, then we can make a case for 'true belief'. It would also be an incredibly stupid move - but that's a different matter.

If in spite of a comfortable life, you turn to Jihad as a religious mandate, at great cost to your family wrecking untold misery to millions including your own family and those of the infidels and 'mushriks', then we can make a case for 'true belief'. It would also be genocide, and would ordinarily qualify you to a shrink - but that's a different matter.

If you employ suicide-bombing of 'mushriks' on the belief that martyrdom is mandated by God, and for which a reward of eternal sexual indulgences involving seventy-two virgins at your disposal will be bestowed on you in a hereafter, then that is 'true belief'. It would also be sexually induced suicidal lunacy - but that's a different matter.

In Conclusion
Clearly, taking from the pattern of the examples illustrated above, true believers are the sort of people that sane, sober and courageous people will call 'lunatics', 'delusional', 'stupid', 'demented', 'deranged', 'psychopathic' - in short, they're 'extremists'.

These 'true believers' may be the fringe-minority, so why do we lump the 'not-true-believers' with them? It is the fringe minority, inspired by Scripture whose ever strident voices we hear daily. The vast sober majority has allowed ( by mostly keeping silent over the extreme utterances and actions of the fringe minority ) fringe-minority to dictate how their religions are practised and exercised. In electing to keep quiet about the extremes they have condoned the extremes. Plus, since the dictates and tenets of their religions sanctify the extremes; we have to judge the religions by the letter of what the 'true-believers' practise. So there!

Intellectual progress has always been a fierce battle of ideas between those who sought progress in the knowledge of humanity employing reason and those who court scripture, authority, conventions and/or tradition. Anyone who will stand up to holding religious beliefs to inquiry stands the scorn of a massive and formidable populace. Sadly, by sheer accidents of history, religion claims a vast number of humanity and in so doing, has used them as human-shields to insulate itself from inquiry, criticism and sometimes rejection ( apostasy ) - because, you cannot bring a religious doctrine to the table of rational inquest without being told that you're toying with the feelings of multitudes. Well, feelings? What has the truth got to do with your feelings? If it's only about your feelings, I'm sorry, Bleep your feelings very much!

Thanks for your consideration!

http://m.modernghana.com/mobile/552468/1/i-daresay-you-dont-believe-in-god.html

4 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by jayriginal: 9:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
This has said what Ive been saying for a very long time.

Most people who say they believe, dont!
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Weah96: 9:21pm On Jun 29, 2014
We've all been saying this s)hit. Let me see a comment from TB Joshua in which he places his future health in God's hands only, without the need for medical intervention. Then I will know that he's not just a savvy businessman who sells HOPE to people for money.

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 9:43pm On Jun 29, 2014
Very long read but says it all. . .Most people that claim to believe in god don't. . .at least through their actions. . .

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by myads890(m): 10:02pm On Jun 29, 2014
So, on point!

So called believers that can only pray for themselves. Our corrupt leaders attend churches and pastors collect offerings with open arms. What kind of belief is that? I believe religion is strictly for the opportunist who sees a perfect opportunity is exploiting and manipulating the congregation for his own selfish gains.

*na beer sure pass*
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by donotsin: 12:09am On Jun 30, 2014
Blind atheists whom atheism has blinded.A persons belief in God requires him to do everything according to the dictates of God in His holy book.Yes God requires you to visit the doctor when you are sick,visit the mechanic when your car breaks down etc.Its in the book.

You can also stylishly ignore the countless times God instucted His human subjects to use human methods & agencies to accomplish His divine purpose when He could have easily done it by instant miracle.Examples are countless times he instucted Israelites on specific things to do to win a battle when He could have easily come down & won the battle for them.He instucted Jeremiah through Isaiah on the herb to take & recover when he could just make the ailment disappear with a wish.

Atheists don't deserve answers cos they don't want one & I certainly won't give you more than this so go ahead & throw your stones.

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by NoProphecy: 12:18am On Jun 30, 2014
do-not-sin:
Blind atheists whom atheism has blinded.A persons belief in God requires him to do everything according to the dictates of God in His holy book.Yes God requires you to visit the doctor when you are sick,visit the mechanic when your car breaks down etc.Its in the book.

You can also stylishly ignore the countless times God instucted His human subjects to use human methods & agencies to accomplish His divine purpose when He could have easily done it by instant miracle.Examples are countless times he instucted Israelites on specific things to do to win a battle when He could have easily come down & won the battle for them.He instucted Jeremiah through Isaiah on the herb to take & recover when he could just make the ailment disappear with a wish.

Atheists don't deserve answers cos they don't want one & I certainly won't give you more than this so go ahead & throw your stones.

God also instructed the Israelites to take slaves and treat them as property. God instructed the Israelites to commit genocide: "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys." How can anyone not believe in this amoral, bloodthirsty savage?

3 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Weah96: 1:27am On Jun 30, 2014
do-not-sin:

Do you really want to go back to the old testament or stick with Jesus's teachings? Because you risk opening up a whole new can of worms.

2 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by iamord(m): 5:09am On Jun 30, 2014
lovely thread . will compose something later on the day.. just look at how Ghana and Nigeria follow .. total disgrace.. sometimes I wish I could just slap some of my people . I went to Ghana for hold TV was 247 tb Joshua. you tune to normal TV church takes the day. radio no? I get back to Nigeria .. Nw so so church dey make noise every night.. I am really vexing on this issue cos I lava Africa but a lot of Africans are yo stupid ..

2 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 7:02am On Jun 30, 2014
do-not-sin:

One must ask how differently does the believer act in contrast to the atheist. Because the substance of faith is not in mere belief but in values. It is unimportant if the believer screams "Jesus" everyday, what matters is his values system. That's why it is said that God is Dead, because noone really follows him.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 30, 2014
organized religion is bullshiit, though a crutch for the weak mind.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by jayriginal: 11:05am On Jun 30, 2014
do-not-sin:
Blind atheists whom atheism has blinded.A persons belief in God requires him to do everything according to the dictates of God in His holy book.

Shall we test this?

Yes God requires you to visit the doctor when you are sick

Oh really?

James 5:14-16

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much

I see nothing about hospitals or physicians.

visit the mechanic when your car breaks down etc.Its in the book.

Now, now, you have been already exposed why continue? Where is the mechanic in the bible? What were they fixing? Chariots? grin

Well the wishes of God usually coincide with the wishes of humans. Is that really a coincidence?

"Sister, God revealed to me in a dream that you are my wife to be". Sound familiar?

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by PastorAIO: 4:20pm On Jun 30, 2014
The subject of this thread is also treated here in Psalms 14.

14 The fool has said in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt,
They have done abominable works,
There is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
3 They have all turned aside,
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.

In their heart they have said 'there is no god' hence their deeds demonstrate this in every way.

In their heart they have said 'there is no god' though from their lips all you can hear all morning all day and all night is 'God God God.'

2 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Weah96: 4:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
That psalm was written by a foolish person. According to that logic, Muslims are not fools because they believe in allah. But the Muslim will face the same consequences as the 'foolish' atheist. Is there a mental aptitude test in hell? Do they put all the fools in one section, and the smart people in another?

3 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Image123(m): 10:40pm On Jul 01, 2014
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by texanomaly(f): 11:44pm On Jul 01, 2014
This article made some legitimate points. It could have possibly made many people seriously think. It is well written. It even seems to have sufficiently made an argument that can be taken, at face value, to make sense. The place where it loses all credibility, and frankly it is a shame, is here:

"What has the truth got to do with your feelings? If it's only about your feelings, I'm sorry, Bleep your feelings very much!"

Here the author takes a quite brilliant argument and flushes all credibility down the toilet. The entire premise becomes null and void by these two careless lines. The fair and unbiased "report-like" feel of the article takes on a combative, oppositional, illogical and childish feel. By openly attacking the audience, they immediately go on the offensive and disregard any of the logic the author may have had.

Childish indulgence often silences an otherwise intelligent voice.

Smh...what a shame.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by iamord(m): 11:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
texanomaly: This article made some legitimate points. It could have possibly made many people seriously think. It is well written. It even seems to have sufficiently made an argument that can be taken, at face value, to make sense. The place where it loses all credibility, and frankly it is a shame, is here:

"What has the truth got to do with your feelings? If it's only about your feelings, I'm sorry, Bleep your feelings very much!"

Here the author takes a quite brilliant argument and flushes all credibility down the toilet. The entire premise becomes null and void by these two careless lines. The fair and unbiased "report" feel of the article takes on a combative, oppositional, illogical and childish feel. By openly attacking the audience, they immediately go on the offensive and disregard any of the logic the author may have had.

Childish indulgence often silences an otherwise intelligent voice.

Smh...what a shame.

nice! U have said it all ooo

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by macof(m): 7:36am On Jul 02, 2014
do-not-sin:

You can also stylishly ignore the countless times God instucted His human subjects to use human methods & agencies to accomplish His divine purpose when He could have easily done it by instant miracle.Examples are countless times he instucted Israelites on specific things to do to win a battle when He could have easily come down & won the battle for them

.He instucted Jeremiah through Isaiah on the herb to take & recover when he could just make the ailment disappear with a wish.

You mean like how God instructed his people to utterly destroy the neighbouring nations and rape their women undecided
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 5:23pm On Jul 02, 2014
macof:

You mean like how God instructed his people to utterly destroy the neighbouring nations and rape their women undecided

According to the bible god once came down and fought the battle himself. . .Killing people and staining his garment with their blood after which he boasted that he killed all the people alone without help. . .
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 02, 2014
now nairaland is back. following.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by macof(m): 11:05pm On Jul 02, 2014
mazaje:

According to the bible god once came down and fought the battle himself. . .Killing people and staining his garment with their blood after which he boasted that he killed all the people alone without help. . .

grin yh. He was even boasting that he got so drunk with blood that he had to feed the Israelites some blood

I can't remember the Bible verses but I'll check when I get to my Bible

1 Like

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by submit: 12:10am On Jul 03, 2014
Lol

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Churchill96(m): 12:48am On Jul 03, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]The only true miracle in religion is how powerful its hold can be on the feeble minded[b]The only true miracle in religion is how powerful its hold can be on the feeble minded[/b]The only true miracle in religion is how powerful its hold can be on the feeble minded. grin
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Image123(m): 1:10am On Jul 03, 2014
Kay 17:
In 2012, reports emerged that a Gallup poll involving 57 countries ranks Ghana as the most religious country in the world. The publication read:

'Overall, 59% of those surveyed described themselves as religious, 23% said they are not religious, and 13% said they are convinced atheists.

'The nations with the highest percentages of self-described religious persons are Ghana, Nigeria, Armenia, Fiji, Macedonia, Romania, Iraq, Kenya, Peru, and Brazil.

The nations with the highest percentages of self-described 'convinced atheists' are China, Japan, the Czech Republic, France, South Korea, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Iceland, Australia, and Ireland.' ( You can read the poll report here: http://www.wingia.com/web/files/news/14/file/14.pdf ).

There is something peculiarly funny and interesting between in the socio-economics and living standards of countries which majority of citizens professed 'religious' as opposed to those countries where majority professed 'convinced atheists' ; - but that is a different matter .

Polls change. Religion is not necessarily righteousness. Anyone or anywhere righteousness is practiced will experience flourishing and prosperity in the long run and bigger perspective. Anyone and anywhere sin is perpetuated and glorified will experience reproach in the long run.

Ecc 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
Pro 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

i hope you do not need comprehensive Bible study to know, see or realise that righteousness involves hardwork, honesty, charity/giving, diligence, peace, love, planning and projection, accountability and other good virtues. Praying, dancing and going to church is not righteousness.

In this piece, I want to argue that in large parts, the socio-cultural parameters for the validation of belief, are to say the least, misleading. And that most people who gladly tick / respond 'religious' to survey questionnaires in fact, do not believe. Easy! Please indulge me.
Couldn't agree less, kindly meditate on this. This contradicts the preceeding paragraph which glibly assumed that religion or being religious is true faith and a yardstick for measurement.

My contention is that most people, in fact, do not believe in God, although they may profess to it. Most people - Yes! That's your mum, daughter, your partner, your priest, your cousin who went to the convent or aspires to some 'respected' and privileged religious position, and definitely not the Pope!

But what is God?
Of course, most people know what I mean when I say God, but since some have adopted this watered down bull-crap of saying God is this nameless, faceless 'energy'/ 'force' that is ingrained in the human mind and fills our consciousness with virtue, and beauty and awe and directs the affairs of men or the universe,blah blahblah and all such nonsense, I am compelled to define what I mean by God.

The God I refer to is this omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent being that created the universe, everything in it, and sets laws for how to live in it. I speak of this God who has set aside some conducts and modes of behavior as virtues, and others as vices. I speak of this God with an earnest sense of justice, who listens to prayers, who intercedes in human affairs. Irrespective of the name assigned to him or the book being touted as his true Word.

Oh you gat me, that's my God described in bold.

If 96 percent of Ghanaians believe in a God whom they pray to, who answers their prayers, watches their lives, and intercedes on our behalf, then our conduct, our actions must reflect that. Well, does it?

When we fall sick, we do not head to the church, to the temple or to the mosque to pray, (ah, but I am mistaken! Alas!, some do, with disastrous consequences! - but that is another matter). When we want an attire we see the tailor. When we have a legal case, we see a lawyer. When our car breaks down, we call a mechanic.

Why is it that when such cases arise we turn to other humans for help? Why do we not take our petitions to God directly and by-pass all these intermediary humans? We almost never choose exclusive prayer.

Here's a deal: let's abolish the law enforcement agencies, forget the military apparatus. Why not? God will protect his children. Unless of course, we aren't sure He will.

God is not against going to hospitals or using medicine. You can go to the hospital, treat yourself and still pray and believe in God. In the end, your belief might still be your saving grace. People still die in the hospitals EVERY day, no?

i'll find time to respond to the rest of the post and perhaps more comprehensively, got to sleep.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 2:46am On Jul 03, 2014
this is a confused diatribe. Even Christ, when He was here, sought physical food when He was hungry. Just because you're a christian does not mean you should sit in a corner and expect angels to teach you mathematics rather than going to school.

3 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by TheBigUrban2: 6:01am On Jul 03, 2014
davidylan: this is a confused diatribe. Even Christ, when He was here, sought physical food when He was hungry. Just because you're a christian does not mean you should sit in a corner and expect angels to teach you mathematics rather than going to school.

grin grin grin grin

Wassap?
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by jayriginal: 9:31am On Jul 03, 2014
davidylan: this is a confused diatribe. Even Christ, when He was here, sought physical food when He was hungry. Just because you're a christian does not mean you should sit in a corner and expect angels to teach you mathematics rather than going to school.

But if its in the bible that the angels should teach you mathematics, unless your school employs angels, you might as well comply with the bible (if you believe it).

For instance

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much

I see nothing about hospitals or physicians, yet when you are sick, you go to hospitals. Each time you are sick would be a glorious opportunity to put your faith in the word of God in action.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Kay17: 10:01am On Jul 03, 2014
Why didn't Abraham simply pick up a ram rather than his son?

Why didn't Gideon simply pick enough men to fight against the Ammonites?

Why did Jesus heal the sick when they could have gone to the hospital?

Why didn't God want David to count his army?

3 Likes

Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 04, 2014
jayriginal:

But if its in the bible that the angels should teach you mathematics, unless your school employs angels, you might as well comply with the bible (if you believe it).

For instance

I see nothing about hospitals or physicians, yet when you are sick, you go to hospitals. Each time you are sick would be a glorious opportunity to put your faith in the word of God in action.

the same bible had this to say 1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

The problem is many of you selectively quote the bible... not to seek the truth, but to spread disgraceful falsehood.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by mazaje(m): 5:32am On Jul 04, 2014
davidylan:

the same bible had this to say 1 Timothy 5:23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

The problem is many of you selectively quote the bible... not to seek the truth, but to spread disgraceful falsehood.

So the verse in James 5:14-16 is falsehood?. . Some one quotes what the bible recommends for sick christians and this deluded one is saying that the person is spreading falsehoods.The thing is you know the reality and the reality is what is written inside James 5:14-16 is pure nonsense, you will never try it yourself, if you get infected with a serious illness like cancer today the hospital is where you will run to, you will never go to the church and try what the bible recommended in James 5:14-16 because you KNOW it is pure nonsense. . .
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 5:40am On Jul 04, 2014
mazaje:

So the verse in James 5:14-16 is falsehood?. . Some one quotes what the bible recommends for sick christians and this deluded one is saying that the person is spreading falsehoods.The thing is you know the reality and the reality is what is written inside James 5:14-16 is pure nonsense, you will never try it yourself, if you get infected with a serious illness like cancer today the hospital is where you will run to, you will never go to the church and try what the bible recommended in James 5:14-16 because you KNOW it is pure nonsense. . .

Not at all, but it indicates that the bible is a lot more complex than what you see. you can't just read one verse out of context and go howling about that without paying attention to the other verses. Note that although brother James calls for prayers in verse 14, he says nothing about whether you should seek medical help at all. Infact yours and jayriginal's posts are clearly deceptive because James 5:14 merely calls for prayers and says nothing about what else you might do besides that. He leaves it open-ended, but you folks prefer to pretend that all he called for was prayer and nothing else.

Paul was a chief apostle to the gentiles, obviously when he recommended medication for Timothy, it wasn't because he had never heard of James views.
Re: I Daresay, You Don’t Believe In God! by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 04, 2014
Kay 17: Why didn't Abraham simply pick up a ram rather than his son?

Why didn't Gideon simply pick enough men to fight against the Ammonites?

Why did Jesus heal the sick when they could have gone to the hospital?

Why didn't God want David to count his army?

perhaps you should read the bible rather than pretending to ask questions that you clearly do not want answers to.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Old Catholic Apostolic Church Now In Ado Ekiti / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens Sunday, October 31, 2021 / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.