Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,499 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment (10081 Views)

How Appealing Is The Promise Of Eternal Life? / My Story On Child Abuse And The Doctrine Of Eternal Torment / If Eternal Torment Is True, Then Where Is This Plain Teaching In The Tenach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 1:10am On Dec 29, 2012
Those who do not believe in the doctrine of eternal torment are often accused of being 'liberals', or 'heretics'. In our day, evangelical and fundamental theology defends the doctrine of eternal torment as part of the 'faith once delivered to the saints'.

Those who reject this teaching are often accused of 'twisting the scriptures'. The following questions are designed to show the utter fallacy of the contention that eternal torment is a scriptural doctrine. It is those who believe in eternal torment who must twist the scriptures, all the while accusing others of doing the same. We ask those who believe eternal torment to answer the following questions honestly and scripturally!

I. On what scriptural authority is the Greek word Gehenna, literally 'the valley of the sons of Hinnom' and the city garbage dump in the time of Christ, translated as 'hell'?

II. Are those you teach ever made aware of the fact that Gehenna is a proper noun and the title of a literal place which exists on earth to this day?

III. On the basis of what you believe concerning Gehenna, could you please explain Jesus' words in Matthew 5:22; that saying 'Raca' made one accountable to the council, but saying 'Thou fool' was punishable by torment in flames for all eternity? Why the drastic difference in punishment?

IV. Could you please explain why none of the twelve New Testament references to Gehenna mention physical torment of any kind? If Gehenna is the word which describes the place of eternal physical torment, isn't this a bit odd?

V. Do those who teach the doctrine of eternal torment make clear to their hearers that they really believe in two hells; one temporary (Hades) and one permanent (Gehenna)?

VI. When you teach the doctrine of eternal torment, are you honest in instructing your hearers that Hades and Gehenna are two very different things although both are translated as 'hell' in the King James Bible?

VII. Are you willing to admit that even if 'The rich man and Lazarus' (Luke 16) is not a parable, it still has no bearing on the doctrine of eternal torment? The Rich man clearly went to Hades which you teach is not the final abode of the wicked but a temporary condition. How is it that this temporary condition is preached as if it is an eternal one? Is this honest? Hades must be emptied so the dead may be judged (Rev 20). Are these facts made clear to your hearers when you attempt to use Luke 16 to teach the doctrine of eternal torment?

VIII. When you quote Jesus' words that 'the worm dieth not and the fire is not quenched' (Mark 9) in reference to hell, do you also make clear that Jesus was quoting Isaiah 66:24, where in that passage the fire and worms feed on dead bodies and not immortal souls for all eternity?

IX. If you insist that Mark 9 is referring to the torment of souls by 'fire' and 'worms' for all eternity, then can you please explain also how fire and worms torment a dead body in Isaiah 66:24? If you insist that the dead bodies of Isaiah 66:24 are also immortal souls then by what rule of interpretation is this determined or even allowable?

X. Scripturally speaking, is an 'unquenchable fire' one that never goes out? (Jer 7:20, 17:27, Ezek 20:47-48) When you preach that Hell is an 'unquenchable fire' do you also quote these verses to show the Biblical use of this phrase? Aren't we supposed to let the Bible define its own language?

XI. Please explain why 'everlasting punishment' (Matt 25:46) must refer to eternal torment? Please explain why eternal death could not also be an 'everlasting punishment'?

XII. Please explain on what basis you use the phrase 'in the day of judgment' (Matt10:14-15, 11:21-22, 11:23-24; Mark 6:11; Luke 10:10-12, 10:13-14) to teach that there are degrees of punishment in Hell? In what way does 'in the day of judgment' mean 'in hell'?

XIII. According to your logic on the above question, why then do you teach in Matthew 12:36 that 'in the day of Judgment' should be taken literally instead of meaning 'in hell'?

XIV. If the verses listed above concerning the day of judgment mean what they say ( 'IN the day of judgment' ), then do they have any bearing at all on events which follow the judgment?

XV If Hell is torment for all eternity, then please explain how Jesus' reference to 'many stripes' and 'few stripes' (Luke 12:46-48) teaches degrees of punishment. Do 'many' and 'few' have any meaning at all in eternity? Why didn't Jesus use the terms 'less severe stripes' and 'more severe stripes' if this is what he had meant?

XVI. In Revelation 14:10-11, does the warning 'and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name' apply to mankind in general or to a specific class of people ('if any man worship the beast and his image')? When you use this verse in support of eternal torment, do you make clear that the warning is directed toward a specific group of people at a specific time?

XVII. Does Revelation 14:10-11 say that the torment of these goes on forever, or that the 'smoke' of this torment arises forever? Wouldn't there be a difference? If not, why?

XVIII. Does the smoke from the destruction of mystical, symbolical Babylon (Rev 19:3) literally rise up forever and ever also?

XIX. The language in Revelation 14 is taken from the description of the destruction of Edom (Idumea) in Isaiah 34:10 where the smoke is also to arise 'forever'. In that passage it is the land which burns with fire and brimstone, and it is the burning of the land which 'shall not be quenched' and from which the smoke would arise 'forever and ever'. Why is it that when this language is quoted in Revelation 14, all these passages are applied to 'hell' when the passage and language they are taken from clearly refers to an earthly condition and earthly judgments?

XX. If the warning of Revelation 14:10-11 is a reference to torment in the 'Lake of Fire' then why in Revelation 19:20-21 when the lake of fire appears are those who were thus warned not cast there but simply killed?

XXI. If the warning of Revelation 14:10-11 is a reference to torment in the 'Lake of Fire' then why, according to popular evangelical theology, is the execution of this punishment separated from the warning contextually by six chapters and chronologically by over 1000 years?

XXII. In reference to the 'lake of fire', why is it that what is said of the Devil, the Beast, and the False Prophet, 'shall be tormented day and night forever and ever', is not said of mankind in general? Are you careful to not apply this language where the Bible does not?

XXIII. Throughout the book of Revelation symbols are explained in a consistent manner; fine linen IS the righteousness of the saints, the candlesticks ARE the churches, the ten horns ARE ten kings. Why is it that when we are told 'the lake of fire IS the second death' this logic is reversed to mean 'the second death IS the lake of fire'?

XXIV. How do you cast death and Hades literally into a literal lake of fire? (Rev 20:14) If this is symbolical then why is the next verse 'and whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire' not also symbolical?

XXV. Can you please provide one verse of scripture which states that Hell is a lake of fire?

XXVI. Can you please provide one verse of scripture which states that Jesus died to save mankind from hell?

XXVII. Could you please provide one verse of scripture which states that 'weeping and gnashing of teeth' takes place in hell?

XXVIII. Can you please provide one verse of scripture which states that 'weeping and gnashing of teeth' is an eternal condition for the unsaved?

XXIX. Can you please provide one verse of scripture which states that there are degrees of punishment in hell?

X.XX. If you cannot provide scripture for the five previous questions are you willing to stop preaching these things as though you're quoting the Bible directly? Are you at least willing to admit that these are based only upon your own assumptions and not on the Word of God?

http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com/documents/death/thirty-questions.php

3 Likes

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by An0nimus: 1:28am On Dec 29, 2012
*subscribing*
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Ymodulus: 1:31am On Dec 29, 2012
at times i wonder which u are.
ATHEIST?
THEIST?
AGNOSTIC?
PAGAN?
DEIST?

OL!! that was a nice article.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2012
Ymodulus: at times i wonder which u are.
ATHEIST?
THEIST?
AGNOSTIC?
PAGAN?
DEIST?

OL!! that was a nice article.

None of the above grin

I am a follower of Jesus Christ.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Ymodulus: 3:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel:

None of the above grin

grin grin grin

ver funy
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by joe4christ(m): 5:57pm On Dec 29, 2012
frosbel:

None of the above grin

[size=15pt]I dont know the actual Jesus you're following, but i sincerely doubt if it's the Jesus of the bible, cause you aint producing the fruits of the spirit, atleast i cant sense it in your writings.
Then i get tempted to question who you really are, are you really a son of God who is suffering from misconsception of biblical principles, terms and meaning or an agent of darkness sent in here to decieve and harden the mind of many believers by turning their heart against God without even knowing it.
Which are you mr frosbel?
Cos i'm kinda confused right now about what to think of you! [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Ymodulus: 6:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
joe4christ:

[size=15pt]
lol!

thats one of the 48 laws of power. be ambigous to people and u will command power.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by truthislight: 9:49am On Dec 30, 2012
joe4christ:

[size=15pt]I dont know the actual Jesus you're following, but i sincerely doubt if it's the Jesus of the bible, cause you aint producing the fruits of the spirit, atleast i cant sense it in your writings.
Then i get tempted to question who you really are, are you really a son of God who is suffering from misconsception of biblical principles, terms and meaning or an agent of darkness sent in here to decieve and harden the mind of many believers by turning their heart against God without even knowing it.

are this ^^^ the answers to the questions he posted?
*sigh*

4 Likes

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 30, 2012
joe4christ:

Let us wait and see on the last day.

Keep following your denominations, I will carry on following Jesus.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
I am still waiting for eternal torment cheer leaders to respond with a rebuttal to the questions raised.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2012
I am still waiting for eternal torment cheer leaders to respond with a rebuttal to the questions raised.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by truthislight: 10:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
frosbel: I am still waiting for eternal torment cheer leaders to respond with a rebuttal to the questions raised.

show up! How can they?

If you think and hope they will show up then you have an extra large faith.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:17am On Dec 31, 2012
Psalm 30:5
New International Version
(NIV)
5 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.
-----------------------------------
I don't think GOD would go against His character. I do feel that there is a place of torment where the wicked will be destroyed. Think about this; only through Jesus can we get everlasting life and without Him, you only get the opposite which is death. If people are going to get tormented forever and ever for all eternity then that would mean that they would have life in that lake of fire not death. The bottomline is, hell is the place where the wicked will be forever destroyed (cease to exist).

8 Likes

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Image123(m): 11:02am On Dec 31, 2012
direct your questions to Jesus, He is the chief teacher
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 31, 2012
Image123: direct your questions to Jesus, He is the chief teacher

Well I know what he says, I am asking eternal torment preachers like you , lol.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by An0nimus: 1:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
frosbel:

What does he say? smiley
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 31, 2012
An0nimus:
What does he say? smiley

You tell me Sir.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
I am really trying to understand why I am not getting any proper response from the eternal torment cheer leaders, could it be that they are not even sure what they believe in anymore regarding this topic ?

What is required is a rebuttal of ALL or SOME of the points raised in the original post, not some random emotional outburst !!
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Image123(m): 5:23pm On Dec 31, 2012
frosbel:

direct your questions to Him. He is the chief teacher on this issue, we're awaiting your report from your interview with hell's chiefo.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 31, 2012
Frosbel,with d way u're going u cud bcom an atheist/agnostic.dat wud b a nice developmt.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
Image123:
direct your questions to Him. He is the chief teacher on this issue, we're awaiting your report from your interview with hell's chiefo.

appears you are confused as expected.

Next ....
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 31, 2012
Beretta92: Frosbel,with d way u're going u cud bcom an atheist/agnostic.dat wud b a nice developmt.

Atheist for saying that sinners and the wicked will be destroyed in the lake of fire , ?

Class grin
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
joe4christ:

my friend cool down.whenever somebody disagrees with u guys,u'r 2 quick 2 label him an agent of darkness n blah.is it a crime 4 another xtian 2 reject d dogma u so hold on 2? Don't u knw dat xtians started 2 disagree right 4rm d bible?? Remember paul n barnabas

1 Like

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
frosbel:

Atheist for saying that sinners and the wicked will be destroyed in the lake of fire , ?

Class grin
was only kidding.i like ur broad-minded kinda xtianity.u think 4 yrself n do not allow people 2 put ideas in ur head.maybe if i met a christian like u, i wudnt hv become agnostic...just maybe.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by martinseme: 8:24pm On Dec 31, 2012
Hell fire is real pleassssseeeee i beg you dont try God and wait to find out the eternal truth that all thats written in the bible is true.Be wise now it wont cost you much to live righteously ,dont pay heed to that seducing voice telling you to go on and sin .Most realities of the spiritual realm are not comprehensible to our feeble flesh.only the wise shall know the truth and be saved from hell. and only with the grace of God will the wise know the truth. pleaseeeeeeee be among the wise
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Image123(m): 10:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
frosbel:

appears you are confused as expected.

Next ....
we're waiting frosb, don't tell me you're keeping malice with Jesus? He'll answer you if you are not shy and you ask Him right.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by BARRISTERS: 10:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
@image123

we're waiting frosb, don't tell me you're keeping malice with Jesus? He'll answer you if you are not shy and you ask Him right.

are you jesus? how do you know what jesus would say? tell us what YOU have to say!
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by alexleo(m): 1:31am On Jan 01, 2013
joe4christ:

Dont mind him. I gave him a simple assignment that- lets pray that God should put those who are preaching false message about hell to shame here in nairaland and even outside nairaland and that let those people's message crash. When the wrong people are put to shame by God then they will repent and also stop deceiving others. Instead of accepting the assignment they ve been running from pillar to post. If they are sure of what they are preaching why running away from the simple assignment?
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by alexleo(m): 1:53am On Jan 01, 2013
frosbel: I am really trying to understand why I am not getting any proper response from the eternal torment cheer leaders, could it be that they are not even sure what they believe in anymore regarding this topic ?

What is required is a rebuttal of ALL or SOME of the points raised in the original post, not some random emotional outburst !!

We dont have time for useless argument. And like the days of the prophets of baal. Lets go ahead with the assignment i gave you and stop runnin away. At the end of the day people here will know who is false and who is right.

My Prayers-
Oh God, if my teaching and believe that when a sinner dies his soul goes to hell is wrong and that sinners will burn non stop after judgment is wrong, pls put me to shame in nairaland and outside here and may the teaching crash here and in the outside world, in Jesus name. Amen. If frobel's teaching about hell is right, proper the teachings here and in the outside world, in Jesus name. Amen. If frosbel's teaching ir wrong, put him to shame here and in the outside world and may his teaching crash here and in the outside world, in Jesus name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 2:17am On Jan 01, 2013
[quote author=alexleo]

We dont have time for useless argument. And like the days of the prophets of baal. Lets go ahead with the assignment i gave you and stop runnin away. At the end of the day people here will know who is false and who is right.

The truth is you have no argument to bring to the table .

Stop going off on a tangent, stick to the point and provide proof, God gave us a brain to think not for decoration.
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 01, 2013
alexleo:

Dont mind him. I gave him a simple assignment that- lets pray that God should put those who are preaching false message about hell to shame here in nairaland and even outside nairaland and that let those people's message crash. When the wrong people are put to shame by God then they will repent and also stop deceiving others. Instead of accepting the assignment they ve been running from pillar to post. If they are sure of what they are preaching why running away from the simple assignment?

You have me a simple assignment

Honestly do you guys take time to read your bibles ?

SMH
Re: Thirty Questions For Teachers Of Eternal Torment by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 01, 2013
What kind of silly assignment are u guys giving d op.simply answer d questions raised n if u can't admit dat u can't instead of all these hide n seek games.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Prepare Your Family For Rapture / I Need Info On Masonic Order In Nigeria / Should I Force My Daughter To Go To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.