Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,530 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! (1879 Views)

A Nigerian Governor Declared Mentally Ill. / Tony Blair At The Nigerian Governor's Forum In Abuja - Photos / Nigerian Governor's Wives (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by olawonder(m): 1:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
This is the Governor Mayor of London, he rides bike to and from work everyday; he also hasn't more than this one bike! Often do ordinary passengers come across Ministers on the trains, like I recently saw my local MP on the Bakerloo Line from Westham. I wonder if Naija politicians could copy this sometimes, not that we don't know they are thieves rich and powerful, but to show us they are humble enough and understand our everyday hustle!

Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by naptu2: 1:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
naptu2: At last! This is what Ojo Madueke should have done. Kudos to LASG.

Let me quickly address some of the criticisms that were directed at Ojo Madueke.

1) Some people said "How do you expect me to ride a bicycle from my house in Oshodi to my office in Victoria Island?".

Ans: That's not what this initiative is for. You are expected to use the BRT or LRT for such journeys. However, you are expected to cycle when you want to go to the supermarket, barbershop, chemist, tv viewing centre, video club, cybercafe, bank, etc in your neighbourhood.

Oh, and the fact that you cycle does not mean that you are going back to the stone age. Rather, you are helping to save the planet, exercising, reducing traffic jams and living a healthier life.

Ojo Madueke (who was minister for transportation) cycling to a Federal Executive Council meeting.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/775157_Ojo20Maduekwe20bicycle_jpg405cf70723099f0d4a6d05dd118e1ee9

2 Likes

Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
Even ordinary Nigerians feel too big to ride bikes not to talk of political office holders.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by kunlekunle: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by kunlekunle: 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
na exercise
tony blair and cameron

Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Chanchit: 2:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
Those guys no knw wetin e mean to suffer, thats why Nigerians tend to drive anything big when they hammer. Na I don hammer mentality dey cause am.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by kross01(m): 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
[quote author=naptu2][/quote]
I dont think you remembered why ojo mmaduekwe abandoned this cycling idea? He was knocked down by a hit & run driver who i believe was never aprehended(some insinuated it was a murder attempt).i doubt any of our politicians willing to take anymore of such risk.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Rossikk(m): 2:49pm On Mar 09, 2013
If we built all our roads with underground drainage, sidewalks and some cycling lanes like you have in Europe and the US, then it would make sense to cycle. But when you build roads with open gutters and sand by the side of the roads, only a mad man would consider riding bicycles. So let us do what we need to do first before talking about imitating European politicians riding bikes.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Afam4eva(m): 2:53pm On Mar 09, 2013
Rossikk: If we built all our roads with underground drainage, sidewalks and cycling lanes like you have in Europe and the US, then it would make sense to cycle. But when you build roads with open gutters and sand by the side of the roads, only a mad man would consider riding bicycles. So let us do what we need to do first before talking about imitating European politicians riding bikes.
For a second, i thought you were gonna tell us that all the 36 state governors ride on bikes to work everyday cos of your blind patriotism.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Rossikk(m): 2:57pm On Mar 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
For a second, i thought you were gonna tell us that all the 36 state governors ride on bikes to work everyday cos of your blind patriotism.
For a minute I thought you were going to say just Igbo governors ride to work on bikes because of your dumb and brutish tribalism. Nigeria hating moro.n.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by timpaker(m): 3:06pm On Mar 09, 2013
ride a bike to work? who would wanna ride a bike in naija's hot weather and get to work sweating like someone who did early morning jogging? heck! not me!!
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Ngwakwe: 3:17pm On Mar 09, 2013
Bicycle is a sign of poverty for 9jar.

Most Nigerian Preachers (motivational and religious) will cast out the spirit of owing and riding bicycle from their members.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by yuzedo: 4:09pm On Mar 09, 2013
I want to get a power bike and ditch my car. Traffic is just not sexy. But I don't know how to reconcile wearing a suit (or traditional on fridays) and riding a power bike.

Can anyone give me suggestions please? I'm not up to changing at work.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by vanitty: 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2013
yuzedo: I want to get a power bike and ditch my car. Traffic is just not sexy. But I don't know how to reconcile wearing a suit (or traditional on fridays) and riding a power bike.

Can anyone give me suggestions please? I'm not up to changing at work.

Wear casual cloth then change at work to your power suit
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by stupor(m): 6:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
I see your joke homie !

One is cycling to the barbers' shop while the ôther is cycling to the Federal Executive Council meeting !

Which one of them is using the bicycle rightly for its intended transportation purposes !
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by naptu2: 7:57pm On Mar 09, 2013
kross_01:
I dont think you remembered why ojo mmaduekwe abandoned this cycling idea? He was knocked down by a hit & run driver who i believe was never aprehended(some insinuated it was a murder attempt).i doubt any of our politicians willing to take anymore of such risk.

(I remember quite well).I lifted that from a previous post. The thread was about Lagos State's decision to build cycle lanes. If he had been riding on a cycle lane, there would have been no hit and run. That's why I started with "This is what Ojo Madueke should have done".

https://www.nairaland.com/1087414/lagos-get-bicycles-lanes
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Maxymilliano(m): 7:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
Some Nigerian governors does more than this in their private capacity, in actual fact, trekking is a favorite past time of Ibikunle Amosun, Governor Of Ogun State... And I'm revealing this with all sense of conviction.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 09, 2013
Afam4eva: Even ordinary Nigerians feel too big to ride bikes not to talk of political office holders.

Nail on the fucking head. "Ordinary" Nigerians have always been the problem because the leaders emerge from their ranks after all. When a girl can't even respond to your 'toasting' if you're walking down the street, but would be very attentive when the same you are driving (a decent car) down the same street. The whole mentality is warped. The way we look down on simplicity does not permit any kind of modesty by our political leaders.

It would take serious social re-engineering at all levels to change things; but that can't happen in this generation.
Re: I'd Like To See A Nigerian Governor Like This One Day! by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 09, 2013
Afam4eva: Even ordinary Nigerians feel too big to ride bikes not to talk of political office holders.

Gbam!

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Is The Jagba Jagba Jati Jati Of Yoruba(it mean the trash or Assshole ). / NIGERIA IS DOOMED: How Politicians Sacrifise Innocent Souls For Election! / Is Buhari Not Guilty Of What Tinibu Accused Ikimi Of?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.