Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,374 members, 7,954,515 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:50 PM

How Do You Prepare Afan Soup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Do You Prepare Afan Soup (4017 Views)

What Soup Can You Prepare With N1000 Naira? / How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How Do You Prepare Ikokore Or Ifokore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by dullgood: 2:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
pls.all, am interested in knowing how to prepare afan soup i have bn buying it from restaurant now i want to be preparing it by myself
thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 2:13pm On Mar 11, 2013
dullgood: pls.all, am interested in knowing how to prepare afan soup i have bn buying it from restaurant now i want to be preparing it by myself
thanks.
LOL! First of all, the spell is Afang. I will come back with a recipe. Hopefully others will give u tips too. Cheers!
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2013
[bSOUP: AFANG
ORIGIN: AKWA IBOM/CROSS RIVER STATES][/b]

INGREDIENT FOR A POT OF SOUP FOR 3 SERVINGS:
300 - 350 NAIRA WORTH OF GROUND AFANG LEAVES
3 BUNCHES OF WATER LEAVES
A BOTTLE OF PALM OIL
A LITER OF WATER
2 HEADS OF STOCK FISH
300 NAIRA WORTH OF EXTRACTED PEREWINKLES
300 NAIRA WORTH OF DRY FISH
500 NAIRA WORTH OF BEEF
2 CUBES OF SEASONING

PRE-COOKING DIRECTIONS:

1. Make sure that the Afang leaves are, first, chopped and later ground.
2. Make sure that your wash the leaves sufficiently and chop them. If not at the market, then at home. Water leaves carry a lot of sand.
2. The best type of water leaves to buy are those with little leaves. Those with big leaves are always watery and will require cooking before being use. However, those with little leaves can be used directly without pre-cooking them. If you bought those watery ones, you will have to cook it with a separate pot until the water is dried up from the pot. The downside of this is that your soup has lost the first step of freshness.
3. Also cook the stock fish until the flesh is soft. If you are using the stock fish head, make sure you remove the two "stones" found in the stock fish head before you use it in the main soup. You don't want your dad or visitor to munch those daredevils smiley
4. Also cook your beef until it is done.
5. Do not to discard the water that was used to cook the stock fish and beef. That is the water you are gonna use for the main soup. Normally, you aren't meant to use any other water. Unless you feel like diluting the soup.
6. Wash the fish carefully to remove dirts and sand.
7. If you are gonna use perewinkle, try to remove the caps from the extracted perewinkles if you have time. Else use them like that, but you will spend most of your eating time struggling with the caps. Your visitor won't like this either.
8. Afang soup goes well with dry fish and not fresh fish. According to my parents, that was the way our ancestors passed it down wink
9. [s]I never mentioned onion. PLS!! And don't ask me why. That's the way our people say it's done.[/s]

MAIN DIRECTIONS:
1. Put the stock fish, perewinkles, dry fish and beef in the main soup pot and boil for about 2-5 minutes using the water that was used to prepare the beef and stock fish. If the water isn't enough just add a little. Afang soup taste well when it's rich and not overly diluted.
2. Then pour in the water leaves in the pot. Allow it to cook for about 2 minutes. Stir the pot and let the leaves mix with the "goodies."
3. Pour in the afang leaves and stir. And salt and seasoning to taste.
4. Add enough palm oil. Afang leaves absorbs a lot of oil, so if you don't put enough, it will be as if you never added any. Moreover, oil doesn't hurt smiley
5. Allow the soup to simmer for about 5 minutes and then bring it down from fire.

Serve warm with garri or fufu.
Enjoy the "Calabar" hospitality smiley
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by dullgood: 12:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
FRRI Thanks for replying me am off to the market to get these items i really appreciate.
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 11:28am On Mar 22, 2013
dullgood: FRRI Thanks for replying me am off to the market to get these items i really appreciate.

HOW WAS UR ADVENTURE?
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by OmolodMilkman93(m): 8:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
pls der is dis one dey call Native soup, dem dey usually dey slice kpomo put inside, do u knw hw to cook dat one too, d tin dey scatter my head,... I go need d recipe too,.... Tanks in advance
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 7:58pm On Mar 30, 2013
OmolodMilkman93: pls der is dis one dey call Native soup, dem dey usually dey slice kpomo put inside, do u knw hw to cook dat one too, d tin dey scatter my head,... I go need d recipe too,.... Tanks in advance
I will give u d recipe later. In case I forget, kindly PM me. Happy Easter.
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by OmolodMilkman93(m): 2:15pm On Apr 01, 2013
FRR1:
I will give u d recipe later. In case I forget, kindly PM me. Happy Easter.
am waiting sir
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:31am On Apr 03, 2013
Please FRR1, when u say Ground Afang leaves after chopping, do you mean I grind it with a blender or what? Thanks
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by rully2: 3:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
Please i just want to use this forum to ask. What kind of vegetable is used in preparing efo riro. please name it as we know it in Naija wink
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by bolorunfem(f): 4:05pm On Apr 03, 2013
Efo riro simply put means vegetable cooked in sauce without adding egusi.
You can use Efo shoko, efo tete or even ugu to achieve this. Bon apetit kiss

1 Like

Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 10:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
OmolodMilkman93: pls der is dis one dey call Native soup, dem dey usually dey slice kpomo put inside, do u knw hw to cook dat one too, d tin dey scatter my head,... I go need d recipe too,.... Tanks in advance

Hi. Im trying to get d name of d leaf in igbo or yoruba. Though its called Mkpafefere leaf in ibibio. When I comfirm d name i will post d recipe...
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by FRR1: 10:47pm On Apr 03, 2013
vivacious vivi: Please FRR1, when u say Ground Afang leaves after chopping, do you mean I grind it with a blender or what? Thanks

The traditional way is pounding with mortar till d mash is very smooth. You can use d manual grinding machine too. If u want use a blender, be careful to avoid overblending...Cheers...
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by OmolodMilkman93(m): 8:24am On Apr 04, 2013
FRR1:

Hi. Im trying to get d name of d leaf in igbo or yoruba. Though its called Mkpafefere leaf in ibibio. When I comfirm d name i will post d recipe...
am waiting sir
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by shevon: 1:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
This is a classic dish originating from Cross River. The unique flavours derived from the afang (okazi) leaves in combination with the richness of other added ingredients makes this soup very appealing.

Servings: 4 - 6

Ingredients:

1kg of assorted meats (beef, ponmo, shaki)
4 large snails (optional; washed with lemon or lime)
450g of stockfish (pre-soaked to soften it)
450g dried fish (washed)
225g of periwinkle (prepared by cutting off top cap and tail of shell with the blunt end of knife or small cutlass and washed properly as shown in the picture below)
1/2 cup of ground crayfish
1/2 tsp of ground pepper
1/2 tsp of salt
2 stock cubes (maggi)
1 medium onion bulb (chopped)
290ml of palm oil
450g of Afang leaves (washed, chopped and blended as shown in the pictures below)
1kg of waterleaf ( washed, and chopped)
600ml of water

Preparation:
Remove the snails from their shell and wash with lemon or lime juice to remove slime and set aside, also wash the smoked dry fish with salt and leave soaking in hot water for about 5-8 minutes, then rinse out thoroughly with lots of cold water, and also set aside
In a large bowl wash the assorted meat thoroughly (preferable with running water)
Place a pot on medium heat and transfer the assorted meat to it immediately
Add the chopped onion, pepper, salt, stock cubes and about 100ml of the water and cook for 20 minutes
Add the stock fish, periwinkles and snail. Stir and cook for another 10 minutes
At this point you can add the remaining water, but be sure not to add too much if you want it very thick, also the waterleaf contains lots of water
Add in the afang leaves, waterleaf and crayfish, then stir properly for about 2 minutes
Add the palm oil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes more, then stir
Remove from heat, serve preferably with pounded yam, eba or fufu

Source: http://..com/2013/03/how-to-prepare-afang-soup.html

Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by rully2: 7:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
bolorunfem: Efo riro simply put means vegetable cooked in sauce without adding egusi.
You can use Efo shoko, efo tete or even ugu to achieve this. Bon apetit kiss

Ok thanks dear grin
Re: How Do You Prepare Afan Soup by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:34pm On Apr 04, 2013
FRR1:

The traditional way is pounding with mortar till d mash is very smooth. You can use d manual grinding machine too. If u want use a blender, be careful to avoid overblending...Cheers...

I see. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Why Does A Meal Of Beans And Custard Cause Sleep? / The Origin Of Jollof Rice / Health Implications Of Eating Too Much Bread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.