Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview (1238 Views)

Photo Of Prof Osibanjo And El Rufai After Todays NEC Meeting / Nigerians On Twitter Attack Lia Mohammed After Channels Interview / Score Buhari On The Channels Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MurphyT1: 3:06pm On Mar 12, 2013
Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai has called on the federal government to explore the option of granting amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect as requested by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammad Saad Abubakar (III).
He stated that the sole use of military force to tackle the insurgency cannot work as it has never worked in any part of the world.

“There is nowhere in the world where insurgencies have been defeated using force alone. You must have a carrot and stick approach and if amnesty is that carrot that will lead us to some peace in the country, I think it is worth exploring.”

The Former Minister of FCT made this known on our breakfast programme Sunrise Daily, where he also faulted President Goodluck Jonathan’s claim that the members of the fundamentalist sect are ghosts.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/03/12/amnesty-should-be-explored-in-fight-against-boko-haram-el-rufai/

Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MurphyT1: 3:21pm On Mar 12, 2013
Must they politicise every issue in Nigeria? if political parties are not accusing themselves, then apologies will...even issue of such national concern like Boko haram...letz forget abt all this amnesty amnesty talk, let this Northern elders and govs initiate the move by calling dis BH boys frm their hideout and then presenting them to govt for amnesty,not trying to use comparison methods to blackmail govt of being insensitive
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Makzylopez: 3:25pm On Mar 12, 2013
its only fools that will commend El rufai for his speech this morning on channels. i believe he is advocating for such because of what he stands to benefit.
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by takedat(m): 3:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
OBJ was the first to advice government on the use of a carrot and stick approach, and none called him a boko haram sympathiser! The president himself haven't ruled out negotiations with the insurgents, granted the insurgents are ready to ceasefire and embrace peace. Nothing stops anyone from offering suggestions on how to tackle the menace, its left for the president to pick the best approach!
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MurphyT1: 3:47pm On Mar 12, 2013
take dat: OBJ was the first to advice government on the use a carrot and stick approach, and none has called him a boko haram sympathiser! The president himself haven't ruled out negotiations with the insurgents, granted the insurgents are ready to ceasefire and embrace peace. Nothing stops anyone from offering suggestions on how to tackle the menace, its left for the president to pick the best approach!

but wot informs such an advise
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
I was disappointed with the Sunrise Daily tv programme I saw today. I cant understand the rationale or sense in interviewing two guests, who are known antagonists of the govt, all through the programme. I thought the sensible thing to do to ensure balance is to invite 3 guests- an anti-govt, pro-govt and neutral (preferably a security expert) person- so as to provide the viewers with different shades of opinions?

As far I'm concerned, today's edition of the programme was a monologue and a huge disappointment

1 Like

Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by badlucky: 4:10pm On Mar 12, 2013
He is a member of the sect so what do u expect? He will benefit too, so he has to canvass for it
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Femzy24: 4:17pm On Mar 12, 2013
No doubt El rufai made alot of sense in his interview this mrg, i must say...but he can neva be trusted, most of the things he said was becos of his political interest, if really there r serious, the should initiate the move..
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Reptyle(m): 4:27pm On Mar 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I was disappointed with the Sunrise Daily tv programme I saw today. I cant understand the rationale or sense in interviewing two guests, who are known antagonists of the govt, all through the programme. I thought the sensible thing to do to ensure balance is to invite 3 guests- an anti-govt, pro-govt and neutral (preferably a security expert) person- so as to provide the viewers with different shades of opinions?

As far I'm concerned, today's edition of the programme was a monologue and a huge disappointment

And reduce what should be an intellectual discourse into the type we have here on Nairaland abi? No, it would not be wise to do that at all. Perhaps tomorrow, they would invite the pro-government guys to balance it out. Having both sides in the studio at the same time is a recipe for chaos smiley
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by takedat(m): 4:27pm On Mar 12, 2013
Murphy T:

but wot informs such an advise
I am not El-Rufai, so I can't tell! I guess northerners share the opinion that, brute force alone won't solve the crisis. However, he challenged the government to unmask the kingpins and sponsors behind Boko Haram, claiming that the security agencies have arrested over a thousand suspected BH members and so, they must have gathered enough intelligence on who their real sponsors are. He also asked why the unmitigated foot-dragging on the part of government for not proceeding to arrest and prosecute their kingpins!
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MurphyT1: 4:30pm On Mar 12, 2013
take dat: I am not El-Rufai, so I can't tell! I guess northerners share the opinion that, brute force alone won't solve the crisis. However, during the course of the interview he challenged the government to unmask the kingpins and sponsors behind Boko Haram, claiming that the security agencies have arrested over a thousand suspected BH members and so, they must have gathered enough intelligence on who their real sponsors are. And asked why the unmitigated foot-dragging on the part of government from arresting and prosecuting them!

but dnt u think this Northern elders can initiate the move instead of trading blame
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MrGarri: 4:46pm On Mar 12, 2013
Murphy T: but dnt u think this Northern elders can initiate the move instead of trading blame

What's the business of Northern elders??

GEJ controls EVERYTHING;

The Police

NSCDC

Customs

Army

Airforce

SSS

Immigration....etc etc..

Of the thousands of Boko Haram sponsors arrested why hasn't a GEJ been bold enough to name a single sponsor of the sect??

So many kingpins of the sect have been arrested yet we are still guessing who the sponsors are..

GEJ has failed Nigerians in his handling of the Boko Haram insurgency..
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MurphyT1: 4:48pm On Mar 12, 2013
Mr. Garri:

What's the business of Northern elders??

GEJ controls EVERYTHING;

The Police

NSCDC

Customs

Army

Airforce

SSS

Immigration....etc etc..

Of the thousands of Boko Haram sponsors arrested why hasn't a GEJ been bold enough to name a single sponsor of the sect??

So many kingpins of the sect have been arrested yet we are still guessing who the sponsors are..

GEJ has failed Nigerians in his handling of the Boko Haram insurgency..

i only asked a simple question...all those u mentioned can do little or notin if the pple dat r directly involve dnt show the will and zeal to solve the prob, and y do u think GEJ has failed? if u were him wot will u have done?
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by takedat(m): 4:58pm On Mar 12, 2013
Murphy T:

but dnt u think this Northern elders can initiate the move instead of trading blame
Its obvious the trading of blame and counter blame on the part of government and the northern elders is geared towards 2015 election. If truly, both parties want to bring an end to it they know how to go about it.
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by bubadaniel13: 5:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
I guess its the shame that Northerners leaders are living with for their inability to control the evil Boko Haram,that is why they are trying to blame GEJ.How many so called Northern leaders have come to condemn that evil doings of the sect?All we see is people like El rufai and the so called Borno Elders forum shouting Amnesty for people who feed on evil and are blood thirsty.Shame to anyone who thinks this govt is mot doing a enough to contain them.I am not a fan of GEJ on a good day, but on Boko Haram GEJ is handling the issue very well.
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by MrGarri: 5:08pm On Mar 12, 2013
Murphy T:

i only asked a simple question...all those u mentioned dat do little or notin if the pple dat r directly involve dnt should the will and zeal to solve the prob, and y do u think GEJ has failed? if u were him wot will u have done?

These guyz are beasts!! They have no regard for anyone..

Didn't you hear what happened to the Emir of Kano??

What power do they have??

What security apparatus is‎​ in their control??

I blame the one who has all security apparatus in his control yet hasn't done anything tangible in containing the insurgency..
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Reptyle(m): 5:11pm On Mar 12, 2013
The situation with boko haram and its spawns in the north is akin to the proverbial fly which has chosen to perch on the scrotum...aim to kill it with a hard blow and you will do untold damage to yourself; decide to live it alone and you will have to cope with the discomfort that comes with such a decision.

As it stands now, there really is no option but to grant these criminals amnesty in the general interest of innocent Nigerians who live in that region and the country at large.
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2013
Reptyle: The situation with boko haram and its spawns in the north is akin to the proverbial fly which has chosen to perch on the scrotum...aim to kill it with a hard blow and you will do untold damage to yourself; decide to live it alone and you will have to cope with the discomfort that comes with such a decision.

As it stands now, there really is no option but to grant these criminals amnesty in the general interest of innocent Nigerians who live in that region and the country at large.
You want the govt to grant them amnesty but is Boko haram willing to accept amnesty? What if after granting amnesty and all the fanfare associated with it, and the killings continue? Does Shekau look or talk like someone willing to accept amnesty?

If the govt grants amnesty and the killings continue, the same people shouting amnesty, amnesty today will turn 360 degrees to say the govt is "clueless"

1 Like

Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Inik(m): 8:30pm On Mar 12, 2013
Gradually gradually these northern goons behind boko haram are showing their faces
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by nuclearboy(m): 8:54pm On Mar 12, 2013
Where are all the boko haram members caught till date?

Are you telling us none or not enough have confessed to who their sponsors are? Who is the slowpoke here that believes police, army, sss etc can't extract cogent useful information from those arrested the last 2 years?

This is why many wonder when the president says "they" are in his government, if truth isn't that they know but bringing the information into the public domain will uterly vilify the government itself! Its simple - why isnt Kabiru Sokoto inside a courtroom? What will he say that will astound the senses and thus has compelled he be kept from justice?

More questions than answers and the stench comes from the refusal to answer
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by Ngwakwe: 1:12am On Mar 13, 2013
I followed the interview live as he. was raining abuses on Mr President and asking what he meant by saying Boko Boys are ghost.

What baffles me is that he is ignorant of the fact that Talibans established an office in UAE as a contact point before US give their support for Kazai government to negotiate with them.

The bottom line is that majority of Nigerians are against negotiating with Ghost and are furious for comparing Niger Delta militant with Boko haram
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by dc555: 3:54am On Mar 13, 2013
Behind every crime, there is a big masqurade.
Re: General Public Blast El-rufai After Granting Channels Interview by omenka(m): 6:04am On Mar 13, 2013
badlucky: He is a member of the sect so what do u expect? He will benefit too, so he has to canvass for it

Stop yappin like a kid.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Wealth Distribution By State / My Oga At The Top: Mr Shem Finally Sacked / OPC Awarded "Anti Oil Pipeline Vandalism" Contract

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.