Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,186 members, 7,864,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:38 AM

Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds (13049 Views)

How Your Dog's Wagging Tail Can Reveal Its Emotions / Man Finds Giant Burmese Python In His Shed In Florida / NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Ejine(m): 8:09pm On Mar 13, 2013
Ivynwa: Facebook "likes" says a lot about a person same way one can deduct some bit of personality type from what people write in some posts in nairaland.

My facebook likes are mostly of my favorite musicians, inspirationals, music studios, WWE. These I like very much.

A woman watching Pro Wrestling?! shocked shocked

From this info alone, I can deduce you wear baggy shorts and listen to rap music.
True or false? grin
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Jarus(m): 8:38pm On Mar 13, 2013
I agree with this study. I have always thought as much. 15 facebook likes is enough to make a good guess of my religious and political leanings.

NL likes can even give more accurate insights into one's secrets, because the anonymity of the likes makes it easier for people to endorse something by liking it without posting or their ID5 showing in the likes list. People are more natural.

As for NL posts, that's too easy to gain insights about someone's personality, but it is less accurate than 'anonymous likes' because people tend to watch their posts when they know you know them.

In any case, NL posts were enough for me to know oyb and odunnu don't like/watch football.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 13, 2013
Nonsense
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by pat077: 8:52pm On Mar 13, 2013
na wash!
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by sunnshyn(f): 8:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
i have always known this...all i need is ur facebook ID, frnd request accepted, and viola! I go to ur page and see the sorta stuffs you 'like'....that gives me a brief outline about the kind of person u may be...same with ur birthday....lol

1 Like

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Jouslaw(m): 9:47pm On Mar 13, 2013
Hay guyz...
Its true YouAreWhatYouLike. Let me tell you cos they are not very much talking about the post you like, more like counts are in the Pages you like...
There are diff kind of pages..
Politics,
Sex life,
Alcohol,
Entertainment,
Gays,
Lesbians,
Beverages,
Etc
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by FXKing2012(m): 9:48pm On Mar 13, 2013
tpia@:

they seem to have an undue fascination with relationship breakups as well.

makes one wonder about the people behind the scenario.
One more day to go before you are labelled a scammer. Pay Aigbe his N900,000.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Iykeponti(m): 11:22pm On Mar 13, 2013
They might be 40% right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by tpia5: 2:21am On Mar 14, 2013
cramjones:

You obviously don't even understand the article! What they are trying to say is the kind of pages you like correlate to your personality. It does not mean your the normal status or picture likes

the pages you like can provide clues about your personality (maybe), but the write up specifically says "secrets", not sure why they decided to emphasize secrets over regular normal stuff like interests or hobbies.

gossip or spy on people and pretend you got the info from their fb likes. More likely you saw the likes then dug deeper for more information.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Encoredme(m): 2:34am On Mar 14, 2013
I for one feel it's true. I went to the site and tried the test and 80 percent of the result of the analysis is profoundly true. I knew that ur fb likes say a lot about u b4 now, the study just confirmed my guess.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Encoredme(m): 2:38am On Mar 14, 2013
If the same was to be done with NLers, maybe their likes will not be enof to do the trick but their comments and topics will say a lot about their values, beliefs and past experiences. Abi I lie?
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by kavey10(m): 2:56am On Mar 14, 2013
I just HATE the way Facebook brings this "sponsored" pages to my wall. You see Jumia.com, My Grandpa f... me what am I to do, Konga etc. Irritating and annoying names! I just wish I can stop them. Wetin concern me with what stuupid page they like?
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by feyifassy: 3:07am On Mar 14, 2013
Agbo2: This is not totaly correct.
People like posts sometimes because of the person it came from and not necessarily because of the content.
I remember a friend got about 20 likes when he posted 'I lost my mum this morning'
Not that 'like'! They are talking about 'like' to pages and groups not 'like' to a post.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by tpia5: 3:08am On Mar 14, 2013
Encoredme: I for one feel it's true. I went to the site and tried the test and 80 percent of the result of the analysis is profoundly true. I knew that ur fb likes say a lot about u b4 now, the study just confirmed my guess.

and what exactly was "secret" about your revelations, or what you say you discovered?

were your test subjects trying to hide something which you then pulled up?
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by tpia5: 3:12am On Mar 14, 2013
maybe the op mislabelled the article, where are the "secrets" here:

“Facebook likes have a meaning that we can use to understand the psychology behind what people do,” says David Stillwell, a co-author of the study.

Researchers looked at the Facebook profiles and likes, along with surveys and personality tests, for 58,466 individuals. Using that data, they developed a model that predicts personal attributes from Facebook likes with impressive accuracy. It has the best luck categorizing people as Caucasian or African-American (95% accuracy), followed by gender, male sexuality, Democratic or Republican leanings, and detecting Christians and Muslims.

is it your skin colour that's a secret? (unless someone is posting fake pictures while pretending to be another race).

unless they're referring to dl people, or two timing people?

@ the last bolded

maybe i dont get it sha.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by paul234(m): 3:42am On Mar 14, 2013
last to comment
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by 1Dray(m): 9:35am On Mar 14, 2013
Les: Wat about me dat keeps liking ol d romance pages tho i never comment

From even your username is it not so obvious already?
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by CocoLoca(f): 10:15am On Mar 14, 2013
Just some rubbish to promote whatever website instituted this survey. Hiss!
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Orikinla(m): 11:56am On Mar 14, 2013
You better join over 3, 000 who like a genius like Orikinla on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigerians-Report/236184879749399?ref=ts&fref=ts.
[size=18pt]Please, dummies don't like me.[/size] grin
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Pain(m): 12:01pm On Mar 14, 2013
You Mean It Can Reveal Secrets About My Oga @ the Top?
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by amiskurie(m): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
Oya make we start to dey hate!
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Les: 4:54pm On Mar 14, 2013
1Dray:

From even your username is it not so obvious already?
Jesus!!!... Guy you're funny..... Owk fine, i like educational, jokes and romance pages, oya tell me my personality...
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by victorNRceo: 5:25pm On Mar 14, 2013
People like posts sometimes because of the person it came from and not necessarily because of the content.
I remember a friend got about 20 likes when he posted 'I lost my mum this morning'
Wow,that(^^) is not enough to refute the OP. The OP has helped,because from your comment and its(comment) likes,it's obvious that you and folks who liked your comment got the trait of opposing and condemning intelligent discoveries or any discovery,just to display your intelligence. *meant no insult,just tryna show how truthful that discovery is*
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by ESULAALU: 5:26pm On Mar 14, 2013
Unknown Member: this sounds like a study done by angry

Even Ted get sense pass you....you are just a bombalistic ewualised anofialistic ewu from the remote parts of kenya.Will you crawl back to your hole before I roast you for dinner. 404 like you
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by Gbenge77(m): 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2013
Plausible.
Re: Facebook ‘likes’ Can Reveal Your Secrets, Study Finds by mdee1(m): 5:51pm On Mar 14, 2013

this means the ppl who 'liked' r eida motherless(60% possibily) or sadists(90% possibility)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scientists Implants False Memories In to Mice / Ways To Keep Your Tech Swag Despite High Electricity Tariffs / Www.bbchausa.com / Read Fresh News In Hausa Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.