Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,389 members, 7,861,074 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:10 PM

Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains (809 Views)

Swift Network Problem In Oworonsoki / Swift Network Problem In Oworonsoki / Mtn Fastlink Network Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains by bisifunke: 3:47pm On Mar 25, 2008
Is it posible to have a workgroup and domain together on a network ? I hv 10pc on workgroup in acct dept. and now they are employing 3 more which i will hve to supply systems for them making it to be 13pc on a workgroup. I learnt that 10pc is the max on a given workgroup. I need to join them on this workgroup so that they can talk to the accounting server.
Re: Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains by mmonwuba(m): 5:47pm On Mar 25, 2008
10 max? never heard that before
Re: Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains by dayooye(m): 8:44pm On Mar 25, 2008
just go ahead and connect remaining 3 cpu to the workgroup. there is nothing like 10 maximum
Re: Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains by TmeD0(m): 9:41pm On Mar 25, 2008
bisifunke:

Is it posible to have a workgroup and domain together on a network ? I hv 10pc on workgroup in acct dept. and now they are employing 3 more which i will hve to supply systems for them making it to be 13pc on a workgroup. I learnt that 10pc is the max on a given workgroup. I need to join them on this workgroup so that they can talk to the accounting server.

To answer your first question, No, it's not possible to have a Domain and a Workgroup on the same network.  You can have either but not both.  However, you can have the workgroup and the Domain but will not be on the same network because when you configure the network settings for each node on the network you can only configure either the Domain or the Workgroup.  To answer your second question, yes, it's true that MS Workgroup only has 10 node limitation but there are ways around it.  For instance, I'm assuming your accounting dept. being on a workgroup is given a unique name.  Instead of calling it the default workgroup that MS puts there, you can give it a unique name.  Also, I'm assuming these PCs on the workgroup all have static IP addresses.  If they're on a DHCP, then this work around might not work (not saying it won't).  Try adding 1 of the 3 PCs to Workgroup and see what happens.  If the limitation do occur, then try giving the workgroup a unique name if you haven't already done that.  And if it still won't allow you to add additional node, then your only hope is to go static on the IP addresses if they're on DHCP, that I know works fine.  Good luck!  Peace!
Re: Network Problem Workgroup Or Domains by nikekenny(m): 4:55pm On Apr 16, 2008
Funke, it can be more than that, just do your networking well, name them accordingly and give them same workgroup name.
need more assistance call or mail 08051355133 email2kenny@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Help With Wlan Card Driver! / Help provide information on the Cheapest Gsm Internet For Laptops / Facing Problems With Opera Mini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.