Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

16 Facts About The New Pope - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 16 Facts About The New Pope (640 Views)

The Catholic Pope Francis- There Is No Heaven Or Hell And Adam And Eve Not Real / Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina Named New Pope, Pope Francis! / Murder in the name of God - The slaying of Pope John Paul 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

16 Facts About The New Pope by Jarvis(m): 9:29am On Mar 14, 2013
Below are 16 facts about the new pope.The new Pope has lived for more than 20 years with only one lung.
The new head of the 1.2 billion-member Catholic Church is Pope Francis the first. He was elected on Wednesday at the end of the conclave of 115 cardinals.
1. His real name is Jorge Mario Bergoglio
2. He is 76-years-old
3. He is an Argentinean
4. He is the first Jesuit priest to become Pope
5. He is the first Latin American to become Pope
6. He was the runner-up during the last conclave that elected Pope
Emeritus Benedict XVI
7. He is a conservative known for his strong anti-gay stance. In 2010 he described homosexuality as a “destructive attack on God’s plan.” He was a fierce opponent of Argentina’s decision to legalise gay marriage in 2010, arguing children need to have the right to be raised and educated by a father and a mother.
8. Though conservative, he has criticised priests who refuse to baptize babies born to single mothers
9. He also believes condom can be permissible to prevent disease
10. He is well known for his austere outlook tolife. He is famed for taking a bus to work every day in his native Argentina, giving up his driverand official limousine
11. His austere outlook towards life explains his choice of Francis as his papal name. FrancisAssisi, who he is named after, is a popular Catholic saint who lived humbly and gave possession away to the poor
12. When he was made a cardinal, he persuaded hundreds of Argentineans not to flyto Rome to celebrate with him but instead to give the money they would have spent on plane tickets to the poor
13. In 2001, during a visit to a hospice, he washed and kissed the feet of 12 AIDS patients
14. He is respected for his intellectual prowess
15. He is an anti-corruption­ crusader. He has also accused Argentina’s government of not doing enough to eradicate poverty
16. He has lived for more than 20 years with one functioning lung. His other lung was removed because of infection.

3 Likes

Re: 16 Facts About The New Pope by Patuwa: 9:37am On Mar 14, 2013
I beleive in Jesus, I beleive in the Holy Spirit, I beleive in the Holy Catholic Church, I believe in the Communion of Saints and the forgiveness of sin. I beleive in the Resurrection of the body and Life Everlasting.
Habemus Papam!!!!
Long Live the Noble Pope!!!

2 Likes

Re: 16 Facts About The New Pope by mumumugu(m): 10:47am On Mar 14, 2013
he kissed d feet of aid patient lol

(1) (Reply)

Happy Easter To Nigerians / Where Is Logicboy03 And Advocate666? / Diffrent Churrches; Different Prayers ; Examples

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.