Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,161 members, 7,821,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water (23956 Views)

15 Health Benefits Of Drinking Water More / 10 Surprising Health Benefits Of Beer / Drinking Water First Thing In The Morning And Its Benefits. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
If you're experiencing constant thirst, I’ll suggest you see your doctor. One sign of diabetes is constant thirst.....
Years: [quote author=ckkris

pLS I JUST WANT TO knOW iF GETTING NATURALLY THIRSTY IS NORMAL WETHER WHEN YOU EAT OR NOT? THANKS

1 Like

Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by God2man(m): 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2013
rodeo0070:

I think you might wanna read this:
Water intoxication, also known as
water poisoning or dilutional
hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal
disturbance in brain functions that
results when the normal balance of
electrolytes in the body is pushed
outside safe limits (e.g., hyponatremia)
by overhydration (i.e., over-
consumption of water).
Under normal circumstances,
accidentally consuming too much water
is exceptionally rare. Nearly all deaths
related to water intoxication in normal
individuals have resulted either from
water drinking contests in which
individuals attempt to consume large
amounts of water, or long bouts of
intensive exercise during which
electrolytes are not properly
replenished, yet huge amounts of fluid
are still consumed.[1] Moreover, water
cure, a method of torture in which the
victim is forced to consume excessive
amounts of water, can cause water
intoxication.
Water, just like any other substance,
can be considered a poison when over-
consumed in a specific period of time.
Water intoxication mostly occurs when
water is being consumed at a high
quantity without giving the body its
proper nutrients it needs to be healthy.
Excess of body water may also be a
result of a medical condition or
improper treatment; see
" hyponatremia" for some examples.

Notable cases
Leah Betts died on November 16,
1995 as the result of drinking too
much water, though in the media her
death was initially attributed to
taking an ecstasy tablet at her 18th
birthday party.
On September 12, 1999, US Air Force
basic trainee Micah J. Schindler died
of heat stroke, severely complicated
by water intoxication, two days after
becoming seriously ill during a 5.8
miles (9.3 km) march. The Air Force
changed its recruit training
procedures as a result.
On June 9, 2002, 4-year-old
Cassandra Killpack of Springville,
Utah died as a result of water
intoxication when her parents
forcefully fed her as much as one US
gallon (3.8 l) of water in a short
period while she was being
disciplined. Her mother, Jennette
Killpack, was convicted in 2005 of
child abuse homicide.
On October 12, 2002, 3-year-old
Rosita Gonzalez of Hollywood, Florida
died of water intoxication when her
babysitter Nancy Gayoso punished
her by forcing her to drink three US
quarts (2.8 l) of water in a four-hour
period. Gayoso was arrested
and charged with murder in the first
degree on March 10, 2003. After
being declared incompetent to stand
trial in 2004 and 2005, Gayoso
was found competent on March 26,
In 2003, Walter Dean Jennings, a
freshman history major at SUNY
Plattsburgh, was pledging the Psi
Epsilon Chi "when he was forced to
drink urine, stay awake for days and
consume vast amounts of alcohol
during a 10-day initiation and hazing
process." According to
PressRepublican.com, "On his last
night of pledging the unrecognized
fraternity, the 18-year-old was forced
to drink gallons of water through a
funnel, which caused his brain to
swell from water intoxication and
ultimately resulted in his death."
Eleven members of the fraternity
were charged with criminally
negligent homicide.
In a much-publicized case of
fraternity hazing, four members of
the Chi Tau House at California State
University, Chico pleaded guilty to
forcing 21-year-old student Matthew
Carrington to drink excessive
amounts of water while performing
calisthenics in a frigid basement as
part of initiation rites on February 2,
2005.He collapsed and died of
heart failure due to water
intoxication.
On January 12, 2007, Jennifer
Strange, a 28-year-old woman and a
mother of three, from Rancho
Cordova, California, was found dead
in her home by her mother, hours
after trying to win one of Nintendo's
Wii game consoles. KDND 107.9 "The
End" radio station's "Hold Your Wee
for a Wii" contest, involved drinking
large quantities of water without
urinating. A nurse called the radio
station to warn them about the
danger in which they were putting
people, but the disc jockeys rejected
the warnings. Lucy Davidson, the
winner of the contest, was severely
sickened while picking up her prize.
Civil charges against the radio station
were filed by Jennifer's family,[20]
and the family was eventually
awarded $16.5 million in the ensuing
wrongful death lawsuit. The FCC
launched its own investigation to
determine if the station violated the
terms of its operating license.
In 2008 Jacqueline Henson, a 40-year-
old British woman, died after drinking
four liters of water in under two hours
as part of her LighterLife diet plan.

Other notable fatalities due to water
intoxication include Australian
schoolgirl Anna Wood (although
similar to Leah Betts, her death was
incorrectly attributed to ecstasy use),
2002 Boston Marathon
competitor Cynthia Lucero, and
Washington, D.C. police officer James
McBride.
British actor Anthony Andrews
survived a case of water intoxication
in 2003. He was performing as Henry
Higgins in a revival of the musical My
Fair Lady at the time, and consumed
up to eight litres of water a day. He
was unconscious and in intensive
care for three days.
Jonathan Paul Dent, 29, became lost
during a four-hour walk through
Tasmania's Dial Range on April 19,
2011. He called his wife a number of
times to say he was lost. Rescue
crews found his body in bushland two
days later. The coroner found that Mr
Dent most likely died from exercise-
associated hyponatremia (EAH), a
condition caused by drinking too
much fluid during prolonged exercise.

READ MORE ON:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by God2man(m): 8:48pm On Mar 14, 2013
Four litres within 2hrs. This is too much.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
It's not recommended; that's dangerous....
God2man: Four litres within 2hrs. This is too much.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Valto: have always known that water is good for the body... but [b]what are the side effects of excess water [/b]

You can contact a condition known as water intoxication, hyperhydration or water poisoning. This results from the normal balance of electrolytes in the body being unbalanced. This condition can result in death as the functioning of your brain, muscles and heart.

Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 8:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Years: [quote author=ckkris

pLS I JUST WANT TO knOW iF GETTING NATURALLY THIRSTY IS NORMAL WETHER WHEN YOU EAT OR NOT? THANKS

Natural thirst is very normal. But its safer not to wait to feel thirsty, especially after age 45, when body cells generally begin to hold around 60% water level, giving all kinds indescribable symtoms. Its best to form the habit of sipping water regularly.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 14, 2013
Spot on; and that's why at least 2 litres a day is recommended; but it has to be spaced throughout the day....
~vicky~:

You can contact a condition known as water intoxication, hyperhydration or water poisoning. This results from the normal balance of electrolytes in the body being unbalanced. This condition can result in death as the functioning of your brain, muscles and heart.

Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 9:03pm On Mar 14, 2013
sanb: Okay; when drinking water; I agree that its not advisable to drink a full litre at a go; its rather more advisable to space it out throughout the day which is what I do with the 2 litres I drink a day…In all, drinking lots of water a day is still a good remedy for cleansing the system…

Especially in this hot season in Nigeria. Its very important to BE SIPPING WATER THROUGH THE DAY, and briefly in the night when heat and sweat rouse you from sleep.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by DBen2: 9:06pm On Mar 14, 2013
Drinking water is very good but we should understand that in african we loose close to 3.4ls of fluid per day , urine 1.5l , faeces 0.2l ,insensible loose and via respiration is 1.7ls . You c we shd consume atleast 3.4ls per day . Please H20 intoxication is real .

2 Likes

Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 14, 2013
You got it... cool
ckkris:

Its very important to BE SIPPING WATER THROUGH THE DAY.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by kevwes: 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2013
which one is d water,bcause the kind of water i c in naija now can even decompose and distroy ur body system,we ve amu pure water,adam pure water,benin state pure water,lagos ring pure water etc,so which one can survive us?
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2013
Why no tribalism in this thread? Somebody please write which tribe swallow stones without water. Then more people will learn about water.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by bee444: 9:17pm On Mar 14, 2013
I seldom drink water, don't know why. Lucazade all day.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Enuels: 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2013
vb0mb:

if you were to give a report give a good report. What are the negative effects of drinking excess water?
There are no negative effects of drinking excess water, even if there should be it will be very little. One of the disadvantages could only be frequent urination, which will go a long way in washing away harmful toxins from the body; this is my opinion. Nuels
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 9:29pm On Mar 14, 2013
Reference:

Hmm. Good, clean, mineralised water is becoming expensive and is definitely not abundant anymore.

World Health Organisation says most water available anywhere is OK. Especially if the pH level is not above 6.5, perhaps because of water's powerful hydrolysis
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2013
E.nuels:
There are no negative effects of drinking excess water, even if there should be it will be very little. One of the disadvantages could only be frequent urination, which will go a long way in washing away harmful toxins from the body; this is my opinion. Nuels

How about when the KIDNEYS are not functioning well. Excess water will just kill the person very quickly.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Gozychuks(m): 9:43pm On Mar 14, 2013
jamp:

i disagree. i drink alot and i noticed i ve been puting on weight.
ur drinking alot of ice water..ice Cold water mks u gain weight
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 9:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
bee444: I seldom drink water, don't know why. Lucazade all day.

You've been building up trouble for long. If you begin to drink water regularly from today, you will begin to feel brand new in 4 weeks, but it must take a slow natural process to flush out the toxins that has been building up for years.
Please do yourself a favour and accept water the free gift GOD.
You may feel tired without reason, including body pains and aches.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by AdeniyiA(m): 9:52pm On Mar 14, 2013
dp
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by AdeniyiA(m): 9:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Valto: have always known that water is good for the body... but what are the side effects of excess water
Nigerians like takin things to the extreme when it's good but TOO MUCH of EVERYTHING is BAD.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Jesuscom: 10:00pm On Mar 14, 2013
Water is very gud to our bodies.i take alot every day.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Cashio(m): 10:34pm On Mar 14, 2013
Conductor abeg i go piss 4 dt next bus stop again oooo
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Alpacheners(m): 10:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
Real great.....
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by senator2k9(m): 2:21am On Mar 15, 2013
elkol: I need to ask my Oga at the top first..
so Dat he won't say one thing and u wil say another
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by gwas(m): 4:51am On Mar 15, 2013
sanb: @Op BRAVO; good points. Also to mention that it makes you have beautiful/radiant skin as well. I drink 2 litres of water every day; and have seen the difference it makes to my health. cheesy cheesy
2 litres of water in a day and you say you drink lots of water? Lol, that's what I drink at a go!
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by Uceegal: 6:26am On Mar 15, 2013
sylvia.maurice@:
Thereis no -ve effect on drinking excess H20 cheesy

Are u sure?
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ewet: 7:45am On Mar 15, 2013
Good point man. I have also bin trying water therapy for a while now and i think i am enjoying my health better now and i am also a strong apostle of water theraphy.
ON POINT MAN REALLY ON POINT.. wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ewet: 7:50am On Mar 15, 2013
jamp:

i disagree. i drink alot and i noticed i ve been puting on weight.
i dont think its water that is the problem. It could be too much food, lack of commensurate physical activity or just excessive calories u rily need to check your diet and find means to burn out the excessive calories your body stores.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by phemieojelabi: 8:18am On Mar 15, 2013
vb0mb:

if you you to give report give a good report. What are the negative effects of drinking excess water?
Answer 2 ya questn dia is no -ve effect 2 excessive water consumption.
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by ckkris: 8:42am On Mar 15, 2013
Cashio: Conductor abeg i go piss 4 dt next bus stop again oooo

You wan rob other passengers?
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by AmmyMummy(f): 8:55am On Mar 15, 2013
190-the-clown:
theres no one that's drank as much water as myself since 2008 in the world
go 2 d atlantic ocean n name ur price
Re: Functions & Health Benefits Of Drinking Water by chemashie(m): 9:39am On Mar 15, 2013
DJDOLA: i wrote sper.m not fluid
my oga at the top asked me to change it...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

As COVID-19 Cases Rise, Patients Face Difficulties Accessing Healthcare In Kano / How Do I Get Fat? / What If One Of My Breasts Is Bigger Than The Other?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.