Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,065 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ (1047 Views)

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / New Age Teachings Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome. Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 4:02pm On Mar 16, 2013

1. Altar calls.

2. Taking up money offerings in church.

3. Advertising in news sources for "qualified" pastors.

4. Advertising for "youth" pastors.

5. Tithing to your local church.

6. Ordaining deacons.

7. Controlling the followers of Jesus Christ with church lordship.

8. The word "church" is not found in the original New Testament language, but is universal in "Christianity".

9. Jesus said "call no man master", yet pastors are practically worshiped as masters by Christians.

10. Believing that leaders who have titles such as pastors, senior pastors, reverend pastors, and doctor pastors are "experts" of truth, and thought of by many church goers as almost "infallible", yet in the world of churches, the divisions are endless.

11. That our purpose on earth and the best God has to offer human beings is to "go to church".

12. Wearing special clothing for Sunday church services.

13. Wearing priestly garb and neck collars by preachers, to make them appear to be in a "special" class of people.

14. Placing soft cushioned seats on the stage for the church elite rulers, because they are "first" class, while all the sheep sit in pews.

15. Reserving special parking spots for the church clergy to park in.

16. Giving pastors financial compensation plans to "serve" as pastor, including medical, dental, retirement, housing, autos, and more.

17. Financing the building of physical church buildings.

18. Marketing books, cd's, videos, t-shirts, and other paraphernalia in the church houses, at camp meetings, and at "revivals", and "crusades".

19. Enlisting in government control of churches through 501c3 non-profit status. (Hint--you cannot serve God and mammon, and either Jesus Christ is the Head of the Body, or human government is the head).

20. Making people live in fear of so called "prophets", "prophetesses", "apostles", and leaders with exalted titles.

21. Saying "God said", or "God told me", or "The Holy Spirit just told me", and using phrases like these, to make people think that they cannot question, or discern spirits, or test spirits, or challenge what leaders say, and; whether they be of God, even though we are told to "prove all things", "search the scriptures", and to "beware of false prophets", and that "MANY will come in my name (Jesus Christ), saying I am Christ, but deceive many".

The list of church traditions which are universal in the world of churches, clergy, church organizations, church schools and colleges, and church related organizations is endless. This particular listing of church traditions is common in the world of "Christianity", but NONE of which were ever taught by Jesus Christ Himself, in the four Gospels. The teachings of the apostle Paul are a different subject matter to this article. Virtually all church institutions justify their beliefs, their actions, their works, and their existence with supposed evidence from God, Jesus Christ, the Bible, the apostle Paul, revelation, "prophecy", dreams, visions, or some supernatural Jesus Christ or God ordained calling.

The name of Jesus Christ is used by countless pastors, priests, Christians, organizations, schools, and human beings to justify whatever they do, whatever they teach, whatever they believe, even when many of those doings, teachings, and beliefs, are not found in any of the teachings of Jesus Christ in Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John of the New Testament.

Source
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Image123(m): 8:44pm On Mar 16, 2013
snooze jare, even if they were all taught by Jesus, your kind will still say He was living old testament or some similar sick excuse.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Joagbaje(m): 11:22pm On Mar 16, 2013
Image123: snooze jare, even if they were all taught by Jesus, your kind will still say He was living old testament or some similar sick excuse.

Youre right .Na church critic. Criticism is sweet it makes you feel better than others.

Jesus didnt give manual for the church. Ministry is of the holy ghost. He is the one guiding the church and its structure.
Jn 16:12-13
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak:and he will shew you things to come.
(KJV)

Even if jesus didnt mention some of the things the principles are in the bible. But the problem with critics is that they can pick holes in anything. Afterall jesus taught on tithing yet cricts still condemned it
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 16, 2013
Joagbaje:

Youre right .Na church critic. Criticism is sweet it makes you feel better than others.

Jesus didnt give manual for the church. Ministry is of the holy ghost. He is the one guiding the church and its structure.
Jn 16:12-13
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak:and he will shew you things to come.
(KJV)

Even if jesus didnt mention some of the things the principles are in the bible. But the problem with critics is that they can pick holes in anything. Afterall jesus taught on tithing yet cricts still condemned it

Brother, it's not about Criticism, trust me I am harder on myself by way of self-examination and anything that does not line up with the Word has to go.

Much of what passes off as church in the so called empires of MEN today , is actually a hindrance to the work of GOD , and does more to damage the brethren than to build them up. For starters it does not enable believers to form personal opinions or think freely on their interaction with God and his word, instead it molds them into the imaginations , visions and goals of MEN.

We need more humble, selfless, God fearing and loving people to lead the church , people like Paul who did not love their lives unto death, whose primary purpose was not to ride in the most beautiful cart or live in the biggest castle while wearing the finest clothes, but pouring our their souls and counting their lives as nothing for the cause of Christ.

This is what real Christianity is, dying to self and living for Jesus.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Joagbaje(m): 5:12am On Mar 17, 2013
frosbel:
Brother, it's not about Criticism, trust me I am harder on myself by way of self-examination and anything that does not line up with the Word has to go.

Really and you don't know yet at all these evil report of the church to the world is doing more damage to the gospel . Instead of using Internet and resources to bring men to christ you labour to shame him. Giving evil reports of his work and his kingdom.

John 16:2
. . . .There will even come a time when anyone who kills you will think he's doing God a favor.

The spies who gave evil report of the promise land meant well too but died for it. Criticism of the body before umbelievers is a sin.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by truthislight: 7:26am On Mar 17, 2013
Joagbaje:

Really and you don't know yet at all these evil report of the church to the world is doing more damage to the gospel . Instead of using Internet and resources to bring men to christ you labour to shame him. Giving evil reports of his work and his kingdom.

How do you bring men to the kingdom of God?

Is it by collecting their money?

through tith and five times offering?

Btw. The kingdom you preech(of prosperity) is different from the kingdom that Jesus preach:

"And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." (Revelation 21:2-5).
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 17, 2013
Joagbaje:

. . . .There will even come a time when anyone who kills you will think he's doing God a favor.

The spies who gave evil report of the promise land meant well too but died for it. Criticism of the body before unbelievers is a sin.

Twisting the scriptures again with the story of the spies, bro.

We shame charlatans and false brethren who have brought the name of Jesus into disrepute , thereby providing a clearer view of the Person of Jesus to the weak and gullible.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by true2god: 1:10pm On Mar 17, 2013
Joagbaje:

The spies who gave evil report of the promise land meant well too but died for it. Criticism of the body before umbelievers is a sin.
Thanks bro.

The ops also failed to mentions that:
1)Preaching the gospel via internet is bad (cos Jesus neva used the internet)
2)Riding a car is bad cos Jesus neva used one
3)Wearing a jacket and trousier is bad cos Jesus didnt wear one.
4)Preaching the gospel in english is bad cos Jesus didnt speak english
5)Using a satellite system to preach the gospel is bad cos Jesus didnt communicate to/with the whole world at a time during his earthly ministry.
6)Cooking for pple in a xtain convetion/retreat is bad cos Jesus rather used few breads and fish (multiply dem) to feed the congregation. And so on.

In economics there is wat is called 'diminishing returns'. The ops is presently at his diminishing returns at church critism and dats good news for us. Cos hes obviosly running short of new 'criticism' ideas.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 17, 2013
^^^

comparing apples and oranges.

Show me one verse in the bible where Jesus supported any of those items on the list I enumerated.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by true2god: 3:15pm On Mar 17, 2013
frosbel: ^^^

comparing apples and oranges.

Show me one verse in the bible where Jesus supported any of those items on the list I enumerated.

Pls look for a more cogent reason to criticize the church (or men of God), as a regular trade-mark. You can do better dan the list you listed.

Since u dnt belong to, or associate with any xtain org (or/and mention one if u do, which i think u wont as a hyper-hypocrite), do u think u hav a moral right to judge or criticize anyone/organization?

Just like a student who always say: 'i have not seen a school that teaches her student very well', 'i cant go to school cos all my teachers are not qualified, i am even knw berra dan dem', 'the text books used in all the schools are out-dated, so i wont go to school', 'the school building are old'. Any student lookin for excuses here and there as a reason for not wanting to go to school end up academic failures.

The same thing in spirtual matters, anybody looking for excuses here and there in order to bring the church into disrepute is a failure spiritually. No human organization/govt is perfect as long as they r not run by angels or spirit being but mortals. Or do u think u can do better as a spiritual leader? Then start a ministry and lets see hw it goes, i will personally be in support of the ministry if its to be for the edification of the body of christ.

Bros stop all this criticism so that ur tongue is not broght against u in judgement. U look more intelligent than bein a mere critic in the gospel of christ.
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by freshpapi(m): 11:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
frosbel:

Much of what passes off as church in the so called empires of MEN today , is actually a hindrance to the work of GOD , and does more to damage the brethren than to build them up. For starters it does not enable believers to form personal opinions or think freely on their interaction with God and his word, instead it molds them into the imaginations , visions and goals of MEN.

We need more humble, selfless, God fearing and loving people to lead the church , people like Paul who did not love their lives unto death, whose primary purpose was not to ride in the most beautiful cart or live in the biggest castle while wearing the finest clothes, but pouring our their souls and counting their lives as nothing for the cause of Christ.

This is what real Christianity is, dying to self and living for Jesus.

You show the signs of an offended christian. Remember knowledge puffs up. These ur arguments are baseless. U seem to know scriptures but u deny the power thereof. You criticize as though u know all. I guess u r perfect. Won't you do the one u know is right?
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
freshpapi:

You show the signs of an offended christian. Remember knowledge puffs up. These ur arguments are baseless. U seem to know scriptures but u deny the power thereof. You criticize as though u know all. I guess u r perfect. Won't you do the one u know is right?

offended by who ?

not offended at all , just realised that a lot of the practices in the church today are not biblical.

btw , why did you have to register with a new userid just to make your point.

how many ids do you now have smiley , lol
Re: Modern Church Practices Not Found in the Teachings of Jesus Christ by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 18, 2013
true2god: Pls look for a more cogent reason to criticize the church (or men of God), as a regular trade-mark. You can do better dan the list you listed.

Since u dnt belong to, or associate with any xtain org (or/and mention one if u do, which i think u wont as a hyper-hypocrite), do u think u hav a moral right to judge or criticize anyone/organization?

Just like a student who always say: 'i have not seen a school that teaches her student very well', 'i cant go to school cos all my teachers are not qualified, i am even knw berra dan dem', 'the text books used in all the schools are out-dated, so i wont go to school', 'the school building are old'. Any student lookin for excuses here and there as a reason for not wanting to go to school end up academic failures.

The same thing in spirtual matters, anybody looking for excuses here and there in order to bring the church into disrepute is a failure spiritually. No human organization/govt is perfect as long as they r not run by angels or spirit being but mortals. Or do u think u can do better as a spiritual leader? Then start a ministry and lets see hw it goes, i will personally be in support of the ministry if its to be for the edification of the body of christ.

Bros stop all this criticism so that ur tongue is not broght against u in judgement. U look more intelligent than bein a mere critic in the gospel of christ.

first of all we are all men or women of God , this diabolical practice of making a divide between the clergy and laity is totally unbiblical and ungodly.

When you elevate men to positions akin to the pope of the catholic church , you make gods of them and follow them like sheep who cannot rightly divide the word of God , without the highly esteemed interpretations of these men.

What we need is the Holy Spirit to teach us the words of God , we need to walk after the Spirit not after a man or church organisation.

We are the church , the church is not a place or building and it is definitely not led by men , there is only one head and he is Jesus the Christ.

All christians are brethren and equal , none is greater or more important than the other.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pope Francis Gets New Mercedes M Class-based Popemobile / Holiness Required For Heaven / Longing To Be Free From Lust Thoughts. Pls Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.