Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

US Army Officer Betrayed Country In $1 Million Scam - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Army Officer Betrayed Country In $1 Million Scam (567 Views)

US Army General:next Time Russian Jet Buzz US Ships,it May Not End Well For Them / Kenyan Army Destroys Somalia's Al Shabaab Where US Army Was Defeated / Is Israel Truly The Most Powerful Country In The Mideast? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

US Army Officer Betrayed Country In $1 Million Scam by Orpelin: 2:43am On Mar 17, 2013
The case of Staff Sgt. Tonya Long is part of a pattern of fraud and theft among U.S. soldiers responsible for paying Afghans who support U.S. forces.
Tonya Long, a 13-year Army veteran, approved military cash payments to Afghan drivers of "jingle trucks," the colorful transport trucks that carry supplies to U.S. bases.
Last week, Staff Sgt. Long stood in the dock in a federal courtroom here and read aloud from a statement she had written on notebook paper:
"I cannot express how sorry I am … I chose to betray my country and my family." She did not ask for mercy, she told a judge, "because I don't deserve it."
Long, 30, had pleaded guilty to stealing at least $1 million and shipping the cash in hundred-dollar bills to the U.S. in the guts of hollowed-out VCR players.
Long's scam is part of a pattern of fraud and theft among U.S.
soldiers responsible for paying Afghans who support U.S. forces.
Last year, 18 U.S. soldiers were charged with such thefts,
according to the Special Inspector General for Afghan
Reconstruction. Nine U.S. contractors also were charged.
The inspection agency is now investigating 80 bribery and
corruption cases, "and the Tonya Long case is a prime example," said Special Inspector General John F. Sopko.
Recent prosecutions have described U.S. soldiers creating
elaborate schemes to pocket piles of cash, often with the
complicity of corrupt Afghans.
Last June, investigators seized $23,000 sewn inside a teddy bear at a base in Afghanistan. The sergeant who had tried to mail the bear to the U.S. told them he was returning cash sent to him to buy carpets, but couldn't explain why he sewed it inside the bear.
The Case is under investigation.
In September, a disbursing agent at Bagram Airfield, Sgt. Nancy Nicole Smith, pleaded guilty to forging documents and stealing $100,000 intended for U.S. military operations. Smith stuffed the money in a backpack before her flight to the U.S. at the end of her tour.
In October, Sgt. Christopher Weaver pleaded guilty to his part in a scheme to steal more than $1 million in fuel intended for U.S. forces and sell it to an Afghan. Weaver was paid $5,000 for every 5,000-gallon truck he allowed to illegally leave a U.S. base near Jalalabad. In December, Staff Sgt. Philip Stephen Wooten, a paying agent, pleaded guilty to stealing about $225,000 by falsifying receipts for money intended for reconstruction efforts. Sgt. 1st Class Mauricio Espinoza, who contracted with Afghan vendors, was charged in the same case.
At least two other U.S. Army officers are under investigation in Long's scam, and federal prosecutors say more indictments are likely. As part of a plea deal, Long agreed to testify against others allegedly involved.
At Long's hearing March 4, U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle
called the case "a critically symbolic prosecution," and speculated that Long and her suspected allies might have actually stolen $10 million or more. The judge suggested that such thefts have been going on since the U.S. mission in Afghanistan began more than a decade ago.
"I can't disagree with that," said FBI Special Agent Timothy G Gannon, who investigated Long.
Long, also known as Tonya Long Keebaugh, was caught after a tipster alerted investigators that the U.S. was paying Afghan trucking companies for phantom deliveries from Kandahar Airfield. The companies gave cash kickbacks to Long and other soldiers, prosecutors said.
In court, prosecutors described how Long loaded the VCRs stuffed with cash into footlockers and cleared them for shipment to the U.S., affixing a seal to the cargo container.
The seal meant the container would not be inspected by customs officers upon entering the U.S. The items were claimed at Pope Field, N.C., by a captain working with Long, according to prosecutors. He locked the money in safes inside his apartment near Ft. Bragg, the prosecution said.
A married mother of three, Long admitted to having sexual
relations with the captain and with a second captain, later
promoted to major, who was also accused in the scam.
After the first captain gave Long "a large amount of money," the two ended their affair, Long's lawyer, Edwin C. Walker, told the judge. But Long continued to receive cash because the captain "wanted to keep her quiet," Walker said.
Long spent more than $500,000 on a car, an 18-wheel tractor- trailer, vacations and cosmetic surgeries, prosecutors said.
Source

(1) (Reply)

Deadly Tornado Rips Through US City Of Oklahoma Killing Dozens / The Woolwich Killing & The Unseen Hands Of The Illuminati - By Femi Fani Kayode / ‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.