Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal (978 Views)

Cardinal Onaiyekan Disowns Recent Interview Against President Buhari / Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Age Of Marriage In Medieval Times Or Paedophilia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by EvilBrain1(m): 2:54pm On Mar 17, 2013
Just days after being involved in the election of pope Francis 1, South Africa's most senior catholic cleric has launched himself into a bold defense of ped0phile priests.
From the Independent Online:

South Africa’s most senior Catholic, Archbishop of Durban Cardinal Wilfrid Napier, has plunged the church into a fresh child abuse row.

Two days after he took part in the election of Pope Francis, Napier incurred the wrath of religious groups and anti-child abuse lobbyists who are now calling for his head after he described paedophilia as a psychological “illness, not a criminal condition”.

Napier is likely to fly into a storm when he returns home on Friday.

Napier, 72, told the BBC on Friday that people who were abused as children and in turn abused others needed to be examined by doctors.

In an interview with Stephen Nolan, Napier referred to paedophilia as “a psychological condition, a disorder”.

“What do you do with disorders? You’ve got to try and put them right,” he said.

“If I – as a normal being – choose to break the law, knowing that I’m breaking the law, then I think I need to be punished.”

He said he knew at least two priests who had been abused as children and became paedophiles.

“Now don’t tell me that those people are criminally responsible like somebody who chooses to do something like that. I don’t think you can really take the position and say that person deserves to be punished. He was himself damaged.”

Speaking to the Sunday Tribune from Rome last night, Napier appeared to back-track, although he still questioned whether it was right to prosecute perpetrators “damaged” by abuse.

He accused the BBC of being “sensationalist” by “putting words into my mouth” and playing a short excerpt of a 17-minute interview.

“I made it quite clear that paedophilia is a crime, and that we as a church have got a whole process in place for dealing with it.”

Napier said strong action had to be taken where people had been convicted of sexual abuse.

“Those people should be removed. But what about the case where somebody has been damaged? What I am saying is, can you call it a crime if someone has been damaged? Judges do it all the time, they say, ‘This person is not fit to stand trial’.

“When someone is sick then they need to be cured. My view is that person needs help first and foremost. My point is: if somebody has been damaged, how do you undo that damage? You have to deal with that damage first. And then the law can take its course.

“This interviewer asked me to come and talk about the pope’s election. I made a sacrifice to come home early so I could do the interview, not knowing he had another agenda. But two minutes into the interview, he tried to get me to say what he wants me to say.”

As reports of Napier’s statements made international headlines, child protection lobbies were outraged.

The founder of Operation Bobbi Bear, Jackie Branfield, said it was “insanity not to incarcerate rapists”.

“I pray these comments are not true coming from a man of God. I always held him in high esteem.”

She said paedophiles were the lowest form of humanity, taking away children’s innocence.

“Paedophiles are not just raping children but murdering them, gouging out their eyes and disembowelling them.

“And Cardinal Napier says they are victims and must be excused for their actions? I was raped, but I am not out there raping children.”

Branfield said Napier would be returning home to an angry nation.

“We deal with horrific cases. If he wants to get them psychological help, he can offer it to them in prison where they belong.”

JoAnn Downs, a child abuse and rape activist and African Christian Democratic Party MPL, describing his statement as “awful”.

“I know he said some of the guys who were caught were abused themselves and that they should get psychological help. Yes,they should, but it’s not an excuse. It’s still a criminal act. And while we may agree paedophiles should get psychological help, it should be behind bars where they can’t abuse kids.”

The way the Catholic church had dealt with paedophiles had not been a shining example. “It’s awful. He’s such a great guy, he’s done such good work. This is really unfortunate.”

The Rev Ivan Booth, the Diakonia Council of Churches chairman, said he did not believe Napier would make such sensational statements.

“I am sure he would want to pursue criminal action against paedophiles. We believe that criminal action, along with psychological help, is needed. The interview needs to be reviewed in its full context.”

Linda Naidoo, the director of Childline KZN, said she was outraged at Napier’s “careless” and “sad” comments.

“Saying they are victims is an excuse. Research clearly shows that not everyone who was abused will become an abuser. His comments are absolutely sad.

“I think Cardinal Napier is trying to absolve the church and their sins, and for this he needs to be held accountable.

“Strong action should be taken against him for making such irresponsible comments.”

Errol Naidoo, the founder and director of the SA Family Institute, called Napier’s comments ridiculous and irresponsible.

“Children who have been abused by priests will be even more afraid to come forward against these institutions and men who are respected in their communities,” he said.

He believed they used the cloak of priesthood to gain access to children.

“If they were sexually abused themselves, they should have voluntarily sought help and not entered the priesthood where they would have every opportunity to harm children. It shows their intent.”
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/kwazulu-natal/anger-over-cardinal-s-gaffe-1.1487696#.UUXFuhxvOEo

His comments give another insight into the twisted mindset of senior Vatican officials as they continue their decades long quest to shield the child molesters within their midst from justice. Joseph Ratzinger/Pope Benedict had previously been directly involved in the covering up of pedophilia scandals worldwide, a policy that has allowed many of these criminals to assault even more children and escape unpunished. It was hoped that the emergence of a new pope would lead to a change of policy. However, these new statements from a senior cardinal shows that not much has changed at the church's upper levels.

Catholic nairalanders would do well to leave their children at home whenever they go to mass.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by EvilBrain1(m): 5:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
Bump
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by thehomer: 7:29pm On Mar 17, 2013
I'm starting to suspect that these Catholic priests are saying these things to desensitize people to how horrific and abhorrent what their institution tried to hide actually is.

1 Like

Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by wiegraf: 9:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
Yes of course, morality is objective. Pedophi.lia is usually all bad, now it is not so bad when done by abused priests.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by ooman(m): 9:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
I quite agree with him that pead0philia is a psychological disorder rather than a criminal offense. People who are molested as children have scars of the experience left in them that might change their psychology when they become adults.

General studies truly concluded that females who were treated badly as children tend to treat other children badly when adult and that children who were homosexually molested tend to molest other children when they become adults. The study is not consistent, of course as some molested children got healed of the psychological scars.

I think that the cardinal is right and ped0philia should be treated as a psychological disorder rather than a criminal offense.

I remain an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by EvilBrain1(m): 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
ooman: I quite agree with him that pead0philia is a psychological disorder rather than a criminal offense. People who are molested as children have scars of the experience left in them that might change their psychology when they become adults.

General studies truly concluded that females who were treated badly as children tend to treat other children badly when adult and that children who were homosexually molested tend to molest other children when they become adults. The study is not consistent, of course as some molested children got healed of the psychological scars.

I think that the cardinal is right and ped0philia should be treated as a psychological disorder rather than a criminal offense.

I remain an atheist.

Guy, what are you saying? Are you actually buying this bullshít? Räping children is a disgusting crime, end of story. There's no room for compromise on that matter. Don't let these perverts muddy the waters and confuse you.

Just because one guy claims he knows 2 or 3 pedophiles who were abused doesn't excuse child molesters. Anecdotal evidence is worthless. In any case, no studies have shown any causal link between being molested and molesting others. The vast majority of child sex abuse victims don't go on to molest other children later.

And what happened to free will? Why can't these priests choose to seek help rather than punishing innocent children for their own perceived demons? And how does that justify the church's failure to warn parents about known pedophiles or at least move them to posts where they don't have access to children.

As far as I'm concerned, these sick, twisted human beings should seek whatever spiritual and mental help they need in prison where they belong.

2 Likes

Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by wiegraf: 10:42pm On Mar 17, 2013
ooman: I quite agree with him that pead0philia is a psychological disorder rather than a criminal offense. People who are molested as children have scars of the experience left in them that might change their psychology when they become adults.

I remain an atheist.

The issue is are they criminal offenses?

I, for instance, hold there's no free will, does that mean no one should be arrested or prosecuted? No one should be held accountable for their actions? And the ginormous hypocrisy of a statement like this coming from this bunch. You do know of their history, yes? Quick to demonize homos.exuality for instance yet suddenly pedoph.ilia may not be so bad...

It's disgusting
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by Solozzo(m): 11:05pm On Mar 17, 2013
Yes, paedophillia is classified by psychiatrist as a mental disorder.The age cut off is abuse of children 12 years and below. One or a few sexual offences does not necessarily diagnose paedophillia. The individual has to be involved frequently and uses child sexual abuse as preferred means of sexual gratification.

However sexual molestation of children is a crime in most countries. To qualify for no criminal responsibility, the accused has to meet the following criteria

- did not know what he was doing or did not know what he was was wrong OR
-was unable to control himself

Simply put, the psychiatrist has to show the offender was crazy- that is he is not guilty by reason of of insanity. The psych report will inform the judge/magistrate to decide on disposal of the case fine, imprisonment and treatment.

The cardinal is expressing the fact that some priests involved in paedophillia were psychologically disturbed by their childhood experience of sexual, but does not excuse them from legal consequences and that treatment should always be included as necessary for this group of priests.

He was obviously misunderstood both by the press and the public.

1 Like

Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by wiegraf: 2:39am On Mar 18, 2013
Solozzo:
The cardinal is expressing the fact that some priests involved in paedophillia were psychologically disturbed by their childhood experience of sexual, but does not excuse them from legal consequences and that treatment should always be included as necessary for this group of priests.

He was obviously misunderstood both by the press and the public.

He said this;

bossu pedo:
“Now don’t tell me that those people are criminally responsible like somebody who chooses to do something like that. I don’t think you can really take the position and say that person deserves to be punished. He was himself damaged.”

Your statement doesn't seem to corroborate his from where I'm standing. He seems to be indicating that other than psychological help they should get a (virtually) free pass as well.

PS; I, personally, might have been more forgiving if this was uttered by someone with honest intentions, not someone so blatantly self-serving; trying to make his organization look good. Tomorrow morning he'll be back demanding homo.sexuals be denied rights, etc etc.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by Yooguyz: 9:05am On Mar 18, 2013

I remain an atheist.
i for one personally think the write-up is an hoax,which human being in his right senses would support pedophilia.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by Yooguyz: 9:10am On Mar 18, 2013
@ ooman you seem to have a correct understanding of what human sexuality is about, even though its not from a christian perspective I have been noticing your posts.
Btw how are you doing today?
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by okeyxyz(m): 11:38am On Mar 18, 2013

I remain an atheist.

For once, I'm actually enjoying your post. You are actually making a logical, adult and objective argument. It's a breath of fresh air to read you saying the above while resisting the natural urge to jump on the bandwagon of other so called "logic bearers" who would disregard logic and science just because it favours the position a religious cleric/person.

It is an overwhelming truth and fact that pedophilia is a mental disorder, but some "sad" individuals would simply turn a blind eye to this point because they want to win politically. How do these people manage to miss the fact that the subject is PEDOPHILIA, not CHILD S.EXUAL ABUSE Pedophilia is a condition, not an act and cannot be a crime. The guys who are arguing otherwise clearly demonstrate that either they are unable to grasp logic or they just simply refuse to apply logic, and why?? They are either too bitter/angry or just plainly vindictive.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by Nkeon: 12:02pm On Mar 18, 2013
Like ooman, I also agree with the part about paedophilia being a psychological disorder. I think it is something like 1 in 5 people abused as children go on to abuse others so clearly there is a connection. Preventing such situations in the future would involve ensuring that children aren't screwed up in their youth in the first place.

That being said, abusing a child is still a criminal action. End of. The hidden truth is that sexual attraction to children is more common that people think. Not every person that has an attraction to kids goes on to abuse them though. That is a different level action. True the perpetrators have probably had a traumatic background but if we go by that then there is no such thing as crime because most criminals have a troubled past.

In any case he is saying this in a pathetic attempt to relinquish the Catholic Church from their failure to take action on numerous occasions when children were being abused right under their nose. Regardless of it being a mental disorder the church should have still ensured that the children are out of harms way. They are aware that there are many individuals in their church disturbed and yet they have done nothing to get help for the molesters or the children.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by wiegraf: 6:38pm On Mar 18, 2013
okeyxyz:

For once, I'm actually enjoying your post. You are actually making a logical, adult and objective argument. It's a breath of fresh air to read you saying the above while resisting the natural urge to jump on the bandwagon of other so called "logic bearers" who would disregard logic and science just because it favours the position a religious cleric/person.

It is an overwhelming truth and fact that pedophilia is a mental disorder, but some "sad" individuals would simply turn a blind eye to this point because they want to win politically. How do these people manage to miss the fact that the subject is PEDOPHILIA, not CHILD S.EXUAL ABUSE Pedophilia is a condition, not an act and cannot be a crime. The guys who are arguing otherwise clearly demonstrate that either they are unable to grasp logic or they just simply refuse to apply logic, and why?? They are either too bitter/angry or just plainly vindictive.

Did davidylan bite you? What's with these rabid, blind, senseless accusations?

me:
He seems to be indicating that other than psychological help they should get a (virtually) free pass as well.

In case you're having comprehension problems I don't state in anyway that there is no need for psychological help. I even go as far as to state that I don't believe free will exists earlier, think about the implications of that even if it may be overkill for now. In fact, I allude to psychological help as being a positive thing, at least to them. Hence I lump it together with their getting a 'get out of jail for free card' as nice things they'd get from the state for being ra.pists, something I'm sure most of them would appreciate. Now, I'm very clearly against the 'get out of jail' pass but at the very most indifferent, not hostile, to the psychological evaluations from this statement. At least when it comes from the mouth of such a hypocrite. Hence

me:
PS; I, personally, might have been more forgiving if this was uttered by someone with honest intentions, not someone so blatantly self-serving; trying to make his organization look good. Tomorrow morning he'll be back demanding homo.sexuals be denied rights, etc etc.

How you conclude otherwise is beyond me. The others seem to be saying the same thing as well.

The way they want to sneak a 'get out of jail card' into that package (the psychological treatment) is beyond me, or do all people abused as children become ra.pists? Perhaps only the priests? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? And the moral relativity... Tomorrow they claim morality is objective. I suppose priests being infallible is a constant objective moral, no? Btw, pedophilia is not the only case where psychological help should be necessary, of course our father would focus on just this, wonder why?

Mostly better said here though

Nkeon:
Like ooman, I also agree with the part about paedophilia being a psychological disorder. I think it is something like 1 in 5 people abused as children go on to abuse others so clearly there is a connection. Preventing such situations in the future would involve ensuring that children aren't screwed up in their youth in the first place.

That being said, abusing a child is still a criminal action. End of. The hidden truth is that intimate attraction to children is more common that people think. Not every person that has an attraction to kids goes on to abuse them though. That is a different level action. True the perpetrators have probably had a traumatic background but if we go by that then there is no such thing as crime because most criminals have a troubled past.

In any case he is saying this in a pathetic attempt to relinquish the Catholic Church from their failure to take action on numerous occasions when children were being abused right under their nose. Regardless of it being a mental disorder the church should have still ensured that the children are out of harms way. They are aware that there are many individuals in their church disturbed and yet they have done nothing to get help for the molesters or the children.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by ooman(m): 10:41pm On Mar 18, 2013
Yooguyz: @ ooman you seem to have a correct understanding of what human sexuality is about, even though its not from a christian perspective I have been noticing your posts.
Btw how are you doing today?

busy day. Thanks for checking on me though. wink
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by ooman(m): 10:52pm On Mar 18, 2013
Nkeon: Like ooman, I also agree with the part about paedophilia being a psychological disorder. I think it is something like 1 in 5 people abused as children go on to abuse others so clearly there is a connection. Preventing such situations in the future would involve ensuring that children aren't screwed up in their youth in the first place.

That being said, abusing a child is still a criminal action. End of. The hidden truth is that sexual attraction to children is more common that people think. Not every person that has an attraction to kids goes on to abuse them though. That is a different level action. True the perpetrators have probably had a traumatic background but if we go by that then there is no such thing as crime because most criminals have a troubled past.

I understand that children, the future of our species are in question here, hence the aggression. But we also have to put the psychology of the so-called "criminals" in view.

A mathematical study showed that serial killers have a particular brain disorder. There is a particular motivation to all actions of consciousness, not just of humans, but animals too. For instance, animals that would normally live peacefully with each other will have to fight each other, at times to death when the urge to mate comes on them.

Mating with children is totally wrong because it involves parties who are not sex.aully matured hence, the act hurts them. But those who are involved in this act are also not in their normal self.

What we are debating here is not whether the act is wrong or not, the act is totally wrong. What we are debating is if there is any extenuating circumstance surrounding the act.
Re: Paedophilia Not Criminal, Says South African Cardinal by ooman(m): 10:59pm On Mar 18, 2013
Evil Brain:

Guy, what are you saying? Are you actually buying this bullshít? Räping children is a disgusting crime, end of story. There's no room for compromise on that matter. Don't let these perverts muddy the waters and confuse you.

Just because one guy claims he knows 2 or 3 pedophiles who were abused doesn't excuse child molesters. Anecdotal evidence is worthless. In any case, no studies have shown any causal link between being molested and molesting others. The vast majority of child sex abuse victims don't go on to molest other children later.

And what happened to free will? Why can't these priests choose to seek help rather than punishing innocent children for their own perceived demons? And how does that justify the church's failure to warn parents about known pedophiles or at least move them to posts where they don't have access to children.

As far as I'm concerned, these sick, twisted human beings should seek whatever spiritual and mental help they need in prison where they belong.

Pls refer to my reply to Nkeon's post

(1) (Reply)

Incense, Dhoop, Agarbatti & History / If Muslims Are Not Idolators. . / All Mention Of "Tithe", "Tithes", "Tenth Unto", In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.