Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:21 AM

Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? (3122 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 11:39pm On Mar 19, 2013
brokoto: are you serious? Did you read the quotations I gave up there? Have you answered the OP? My preconceptions indeed. Lmao.

You keep saying worship god in spirit and truth. What exactly does the truth part mean to you?

Obeying your Gods commandment is a burden? Ok o.

You said something about the rich man. When he asked Jesus things he ought to do, what was Jesus' first response? The law. Did it look like Jesus wanted Christians to do away with the law? The issue is that keeping the law religiously won't get you anywhere if you don't love your God and your fellow man but it in no way implies disregarding it. Ignoring a part of it is disobedience. Simple.

You can squirm all you want but if constantine and the catholic church hadn't changed it we won't be here having this argument.

Again, which day is the Sabbath day? Pls answer the OP. Whether you keep to it or not is a question for another day. Just answer the OP.

You keep hammering on "do away with the law" and forget that I said Jesus fulfilled the law and wants us to do same. The law was merely a teacher and now with Christ we get a fuller picture of God's desire.

God wants worshippers. He instituted the sabbath for that purpose. However the sabbath was a "prototype". What He wants is "unlimited" worship and He could only get this when Jesus moved the temple from off the mountain and into your heart. You no longer require a structural temple to worship at and in fulfillment you no longer require a sabbath. This is not abolishing rather it is fulfilling. Why are you seeking for a "true sabbath" when the sabbath is ever with you? Why are you seeking to be bound to the counting of days (the elements of this world) when you have already transcended it? My brother Jesus has set you free! Free to worship free to love.

What does it mean to worship in truth? One part of the answer is that you are free to be sincere in your worship. You thoughts and inner speech can now join in seeking God whenever and where ever. You don't need to hide like Adam and say "I am naked". God has come to you just as you are and you can embrace Him with all your being.

When you fulfill the law as Jesus set you free to do you will see beyond observance of holy days to the true heart of God.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 11:39pm On Mar 19, 2013
Oops double post.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Joagbaje(m): 9:52am On Mar 20, 2013
brokoto:
Again, which day is the Sabbath day? Pls answer the OP. Whether you keep to it or not is a question for another day. Just answer the OP.

Saturday is the Jewish Sabbath. But its not binding on the church the early church met onl Sundays. They called it the lords Day
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
Joagbaje:

Saturday is the Jewish Sabbath. But its not binding on the church the early church met onl Sundays. They called it the lords Day
huh? Which early church? Any scripture to back up your point? Educate me please.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You keep hammering on "do away with the law" and forget that I said Jesus fulfilled the law and wants us to do same. The law was merely a teacher and now with Christ we get a fuller picture of God's desire.

God wants worshippers. He instituted the sabbath for that purpose. However the sabbath was a "prototype". What He wants is "unlimited" worship and He could only get this when Jesus moved the temple from off the mountain and into your heart. You no longer require a structural temple to worship at and in fulfillment you no longer require a sabbath. This is not abolishing rather it is fulfilling. Why are you seeking for a "true sabbath" when the sabbath is ever with you? Why are you seeking to be bound to the counting of days (the elements of this world) when you have already transcended it? My brother Jesus has set you free! Free to worship free to love.

What does it mean to worship in truth? One part of the answer is that you are free to be sincere in your worship. You thoughts and inner speech can now join in seeking God whenever and where ever. You don't need to hide like Adam and say "I am naked". God has come to you just as you are and you can embrace Him with all your being.

When you fulfill the law as Jesus set you free to do you will see beyond observance of holy days to the true heart of God.
if I say long epistle now, you'll say blasphemy!

Any scripture to butress your arguments? Let's analyse them together.

Really eh, you've just been speaking long grammar off point. Have you answered the OP?

When you do that then we can argue whether modern Christians ought to observe it. Until then...which day is the Sabbath? Monday or Tuesday or ...Saturday or Sunday?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 8:06am On Mar 21, 2013
brokoto: if I say long epistle now, you'll say blasphemy!

Any scripture to butress your arguments? Let's analyse them together.

Really eh, you've just been speaking long grammar off point. Have you answered the OP?

When you do that then we can argue whether modern Christians ought to observe it. Until then...which day is the Sabbath? Monday or Tuesday or ...Saturday or Sunday?

You are like a little child whose corn was taken to make sweet popcorn, who starts crying and shouting "I want my corn!".

Acts 15
King James Version (KJV)
5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia.

24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Colossians 2:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Hebrews 8
King James Version (KJV)
8 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

There is no longer a sabbath! It has been transformed!

Why do you want the old when the new is here?

BTW by reason of intellectual discussion, the OP said what is the true sabbath day not what was. Unless you are asking for historical purposes the sabbaths are no longer required. Before the resurrection such matters held sway, now however the transformation has occurred and they have been fulfilled.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Mar 21, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You are like a little child whose corn was taken to make sweet popcorn, who starts crying and shouting "I want my corn!".

There is no longer a sabbath! It has been transformed!

Why do you want the old when the new is here?

BTW by reason of intellectual discussion, the OP said what is the true sabbath day not what was. Unless you are asking for historical purposes the sabbaths are no longer required. Before the resurrection such matters held sway, now however the transformation has occurred and they have been fulfilled.
aha! Finally you have answered the OP(@bolded), after so much rigmarole, saying in 10 posts what you could have said in 1.

Now to the next issue, do you know that the apostles after Jesus died still went to the synagogue to preach on the Sabbath? Acts 13:42-44. Surely, that should signify that they never considered it(Sabbath keeping) old skool.
Now you have to understand that the pharisees then were strict observers of the law and always used it as a sort of power to try and gain control and relevance towards the Jewish people. Their rigid interpretation was what was the burden. Not the commandments itself. Was it not your God himself who wrote the 10 commandments on stone? Shey he's an unchanging God? How difficult are the 10 commandments really?

Your quotations only went as far as showing that the new converts shouldn't let the pharisees intimidate them with their rigid insistence on the law. It in no way implies disregard for the law. Should they now steal, kill, disobey parents, bear false witness, take Gods name in vain, worship additional gods, make graven images, covet because they're not bound by law?

You say Jesus came to fulfill the law? Right. Does it mean that if you now believe in him you now have no obligation to obey the 10 commandments? Is that it or just specifically the fourth one you have no obligation toward? Please answer this question directly with as little words as possible. Thank you.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
@whoever cares to read this and confirm more...

Roman Catholic: No such law in the
Bible "Nowhere in the bible do we find
that Jesus or the apostles ordered that
the Sabbath be changed from Saturday
to Sunday. We have the commandment
of God given to Moses to keep holy the
Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of
the week, Saturday. Today, all
Christians keep Sunday because it has
been revealed to us by the [Roman]
church outside the Bible." Catholic
Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947

"You may read the Bible from Genesis
to Revelation, and you will not find a
single line authorizing the sanctification
of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the
religious observance of Saturday, a day
which we never sanctified."James
Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our
Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible,
they should worship God on the
Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In
keeping Sunday they are following a
law of the Catholic Church."Albert
Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of
Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a
letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

From the Convert's Catechism of
Catholic Doctrine:

"Q: Why do we observe Sunday instead
of Saturday?
Answer: We observe
Sunday instead of Saturday because
the Catholic Church, in the Council of
Laodicea (AD 336) transferred the
solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Furthermore, pls look for a copy of the book: The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 12:02am On Mar 22, 2013
brokoto: aha! Finally you have answered the OP(@bolded), after so much rigmarole, saying in 10 posts what you could have said in 1.

Now to the next issue, do you know that the apostles after Jesus died still went to the synagogue to preach on the Sabbath? Acts 13:42-44. Surely, that should signify that they never considered it(Sabbath keeping) old skool.
Now you have to understand that the pharisees then were strict observers of the law and always used it as a sort of power to try and gain control and relevance towards the Jewish people. Their rigid interpretation was what was the burden. Not the commandments itself. Was it not your God himself who wrote the 10 commandments on stone? Shey he's an unchanging God? How difficult are the 10 commandments really?

Your quotations only went as far as showing that the new converts shouldn't let the pharisees intimidate them with their rigid insistence on the law. It in no way implies disregard for the law. Should they now steal, kill, disobey parents, bear false witness, take Gods name in vain, worship additional gods, make graven images, covet because they're not bound by law?

You say Jesus came to fulfill the law? Right. Does it mean that if you now believe in him you now have no obligation to obey the 10 commandments? Is that it or just specifically the fourth one you have no obligation toward? Please answer this question directly with as little words as possible. Thank you.

You still seem to be missing the point. Jesus gave a new way of doing things which is LOVE. All the commandments were about those 4 letters. In going the Jesus way we more than fulfill all the requirements of the law without being constrained by its boundaries having empowered us by bring God into our hearts.

John 13
34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye
love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also
love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my
disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Jesus also said that all the words of scripture hang on 2 commandments Love the Lord and love your neighbor. There is no way you'll break the 10 commandments if you practice love rather you go above and beyond just like Jesus said that our righteousness will have to be greater than that of the pharisees. Do you think you can achieve that by obeying the law? You can't so God has given us the truth, the fulfillment. Walk the way of love and please God.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 12:15am On Mar 22, 2013
brokoto: @whoever cares to read this and confirm more...

Roman Catholic: No such law in the
Bible "Nowhere in the bible do we find
that Jesus or the apostles ordered that
the Sabbath be changed from Saturday
to Sunday. We have the commandment
of God given to Moses to keep holy the
Sabbath day, that is, the Seventh day of
the week, Saturday. Today, all
Christians keep Sunday because it has
been revealed to us by the [Roman]
church outside the Bible." Catholic
Virginian, Oct. 3, 1947

"You may read the Bible from Genesis
to Revelation, and you will not find a
single line authorizing the sanctification
of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the
religious observance of Saturday, a day
which we never sanctified."James
Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of Our
Fathers (1917 ed.), pp.72,73

"If protestants would follow the Bible,
they should worship God on the
Sabbath Day, that is Saturday. In
keeping Sunday they are following a
law of the Catholic Church."Albert
Smith, chancellor of the Archdiocese of
Baltimore, replying for the cardinal in a
letter of Feb. 10, 1920.

From the Convert's Catechism of
Catholic Doctrine:

"Q: Why do we observe Sunday instead
of Saturday?
Answer: We observe
Sunday instead of Saturday because
the Catholic Church, in the Council of
Laodicea (AD 336) transferred the
solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Furthermore, pls look for a copy of the book: The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White.

Before the institution called the Catholic Church came into being the apostles and all believers met regularly on the first day of the week which the Gregorian calendar identifies as sunday thus sunday gathering for christians pre-dates any church edict.

Now as I have already showed the sabbaths are now transformed to something more than mere observance of a holy day thus sunday is not a sabbath.

Whatever reason the Catholic Church gives for making sunday a "holy day", it can not supersede the authority of scripture. If fact all the "holi-days" of christianity as we know them now have nothing to do with a commandment from God to recognize them as "holy days".

If in LOVE for God you recognize any holy day then you do well if not it gains you nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 12:15am On Mar 22, 2013
Double post
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 22, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Before the institution called the Catholic Church came into being the apostles and all believers met regularly on the first day of the week which the Gregorian calendar identifies as sunday thus sunday gathering for christians pre-dates any church edict.
ah! Now you're quick to quote the gregorian calender and point out that Sunday was the day the early Christians gathered to worship but you were the one questioning whether Saturday was the seventh day as set out by the same calender. Double standards, no?
By the way, the early Christians didn't REGULARLY gather on the 1st day of the week. Only one verse talked about them gathering to listen to Paul because he was going to travel the next day. do you read my own bible citations? Or you just dismiss them off hand?

Lord_Reed: Now as I have already showed the sabbaths are now transformed to something more than mere observance of a holy day thus sunday is not a sabbath.
No you didn't show any transformation of anything. Your god clearly spelt out the 7th day as a holy day. He did it himself according to what exodus 20 said and in subsequent bible verses he always insisted it was gonna be an eternity long observance.

Lord_Reed: Whatever reason the Catholic Church gives for making sunday a "holy day", it can not supersede the authority of scripture. If fact all the "holi-days" of christianity as we know them now have nothing to do with a commandment from God to recognize them as "holy days".
you say all your holy days now has nothing to do with your gods command but you'd rather keep them than keep the one he purposely wrote himself. Hmmm, so much for loving your god and worshipping him in truth.

Lord_Reed: If in LOVE for God you recognize any holy day then you do well if not it gains you nothing.
exactly! This is exactly what I've been saying. You obey him because you love him, not out of compulsion or trying to be like the pharisees. But you obey him nonetheless. Peace!
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 9:44am On Mar 22, 2013
P.S. Typical of arguments in religious section, I don't think we'll ever arrive at a concensus but I do hope neutral observers who believe in the bible get to pick it up and study it for themselves and see what it says and about the Sabbath and holy days.

Its quite amusing that modern day Christians are quick to point out that they're not under OT obligations but are also quick to quote tithe and offering verses found therein..hehehehe.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 2:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
brokoto: ah! Now you're quick to quote the gregorian calender and point out that Sunday was the day the early Christians gathered to worship but you were the one questioning whether Saturday was the seventh day as set out by the same calender. Double standards, no?

Oh c'mon! You understand english very well so stop acting as if you don't know what I mean and what I meant. The first time I mentioned the Gregorian i said how sure are you saturday is the same day God rested? Now I say the Gregorian identifies sunday as the first day of the week, is this not clear to you that I know that the question of which day is which are approximations? C'mon man.

By the way, the early Christians didn't REGULARLY gather on the 1st day of the week. Only one verse talked about them gathering to listen to Paul because he was going to travel the next day. do you read my own bible citations? Or you just dismiss them off hand?

Really they didn't? So Paul was dreaming when he wrote this:
1 Corinthians 16
King James Version (KJV)
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

If the churches didn't meet on the first day of the week how were the collections going to be made? Why would he even mention a particular day?

No you didn't show any transformation of anything. Your god clearly spelt out the 7th day as a holy day. He did it himself according to what exodus 20 said and in subsequent bible verses he always insisted it was gonna be an eternity long observance.

Did I say it was not eternal? I did not show the transformation of the covenant from old to new? You seem to want to disprove it by force regardless of any proof showed you.

you say all your holy days now has nothing to do with your gods command but you'd rather keep them than keep the one he purposely wrote himself. Hmmm, so much for loving your god and worshipping him in truth.

Why doesn't it bug you since you don't believe?

exactly! This is exactly what I've been saying. You obey him because you love him, not out of compulsion or trying to be like the pharisees. But you obey him nonetheless. Peace!

You've been saying we obey him because of love? Please re-post the comment where you did.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Mar 22, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Oh c'mon! You understand english very well so stop acting as if you don't know what I mean and what I meant. The first time I mentioned the Gregorian i said how sure are you saturday is the same day God rested? Now I say the Gregorian identifies sunday as the first day of the week, is this not clear to you that I know that the question of which day is which are approximations? C'mon man..
oh pls don't insult my intelligence! What started our argument was when you questioned the accuracy of the gregorian calender because I used it in saying that Saturday is the Sabbath. I was even gracious in accepting that I don't know if its entirely accurate but that we can make do with it since its what we now use. Don't try to speak from both sides of your mouth man. YOU questioned its accuracy when someone else used it but now you have no problem using it when it suits you. Typical!

Lord_Reed:
Really they didn't? So Paul was dreaming when he wrote this:

If the churches didn't meet on the first day of the week how were the collections going to be made? Why would he even mention a particular day?.
lol. Are you grasping at straws? How does your quotation there imply that they considered it a holy day or worshipped on that day? Its just like saying, please your guys should gather your donations on Sunday so that when I come I can just carry them quickly while travelling. It could have been any other day! A mere mention of 1st day of the week should not set your heart aflutter man.

Every time the sabbath was mentioned in the bible, it was in relation to its holiness and worship. The 1st day of the week had no connotations to worship. When Jesus was on earth he didn't dispute the holiness or relevance of the Sabbath, hell! He even went to the synagogue to preach on those days. Was it empty halls he preached to?

The Acts quotation I gave(Acts 13:42-44) clearly showed that the apostles, even after jesus' death still went to the synagogue on the Sabbath to preach. How clear can it be that they had no problem observing the Sabbath as a holy day. Read the whole of your bible man. Stop cherry picking some parts to suit yourself.

Lord_Reed:
Did I say it was not eternal? I did not show the transformation of the covenant from old to new? You seem to want to disprove it by force regardless of any proof showed you.
you know its eternal but now you feel its ok to push it aside because you have LOVE. Right? Like I said, study the whole of your bible, every reference to the Sabbath was made in connection to something holy while every mention of 1st day of the week had nothing in it whatsoever to show a command by God or Jesus to observe it as holy which majority of Christians now do. You guys are obeying the catholic church man!

Lord_Reed:
Why doesn't it bug you since you don't believe?.
You lost me here.

Lord_Reed:
You've been saying we obey him because of love? Please re-post the comment where you did.
brokoto:

The issue is that keeping the law religiously won't get you anywhere if you don't love your God and your fellow man but it in no way implies disregarding it. Ignoring a part of it is disobedience. Simple.
see it here. Its now obvious you just skim through my own submissions.

Edited.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 10:18am On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto: oh pls don't insult my intelligence! What started our argument was when you questioned the accuracy of the gregorian calender because I used it in saying that Saturday is the Sabbath. I was even gracious in accepting that I don't know if its entirely accurate but that we can make do with it since its what we now use. Don't try to speak from both sides of your mouth man. YOU questioned its accuracy when someone else used it but now you have no problem using it when it suits you. Typical!

lol. Are you grasping at straws? How does your quotation there imply that they considered it a holy day or worshipped on that day? Its just like saying, please your guys should gather your donations on Sunday so that when I come I can just carry them quickly while travelling. It could have been any other day! A mere mention of 1st day of the week should not set your heart aflutter man.

Every time the sabbath was mentioned in the bible, it was in relation to its holiness and worship. The 1st day of the week had no connotations to worship. When Jesus was on earth he didn't dispute the holiness or relevance of the Sabbath, hell! He even went to the synagogue to preach on those days. Was it empty halls he preached to?

The Acts quotation I gave(Acts 13:42-44) clearly showed that the apostles, even after jesus' death still went to the synagogue on the Sabbath to preach. How clear can it be that they had no problem observing the Sabbath as a holy day. Read the whole of your bible man. Stop cherry picking some parts to suit yourself.

you know its eternal but now you feel its ok to push it aside because you have LOVE. Right? Like I said, study the whole of your bible, every reference to the Sabbath was made in connection to something holy while every mention of 1st day of the week had nothing in it whatsoever to show a command by God or Jesus to observe it as holy which majority of Christians now do. You guys are obeying the catholic church man!

You lost me here.

see it here. Its now obvious you just skim through my own submissions.

Edited.

The sabbath has been changed. God does not require a holy day just as He no longer requires a physical holy temple. This is what you fail to see. The eternal sabbath is now a function of worship in spirit and truth.

We are not disobeying God by not observing holy days rather we fulfill His purpose by giving our spirits into worship at anytime. We can not be tied to observance of days because we have been moved beyond that.

Read Hebrews well maybe you can understand why the covenant has been changed. This is my summation to you on this subject.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:51am On Mar 23, 2013
Lord_Reed:

The sabbath has been changed. God does not require a holy day just as He no longer requires a physical holy temple. This is what you fail to see. The eternal sabbath is now a function of worship in spirit and truth.
Sabbath has been changed to what?
God does not require a holy day but majority of Christians consider sunday a holy day.explain that!
What you fail to see is that its the catholic doctrine of sunday worship you guys now obey. That is the fact and it is as clear as day light and you trying to dribble around it was at best pathetic.

Lord_Reed:
We are not disobeying God by not observing holy days rather we fulfill His purpose by giving our spirits into worship at anytime. We can not be tied to observance of days because we have been moved beyond that.
you are disobeying your God by observing a holy day apart from the one he instituted.
Lord_Reed:
Read Hebrews well maybe you can understand why the covenant has been changed. This is my summation to you on this subject.
read the whole of your bible to understand that the only holy day recognised by the bible is the 7th day, not the 1st day.
Peace out!
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:55am On Mar 23, 2013
Lord_Reed:

INDEED...that's what Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well:
New International Version (©2011)
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
New Living Translation (©2007)
But the time is coming--indeed it's here now--when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.John 4:23
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 11:18am On Mar 23, 2013
Bidam: INDEED...that's what Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well:
New International Version (©2011)
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
New Living Translation (©2007)
But the time is coming--indeed it's here now--when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.John 4:23

Please maybe you can explain it better to brokoto.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:32am On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto:
God does not require a holy day but majority of Christians consider sunday a holy day.explain that!
What you fail to see is that its the catholic doctrine of sunday worship you guys now obey. That is the fact and it is as clear as day light and you trying to dribble around it was at best pathetic.

you are disobeying your God by observing a holy day apart from the one he instituted.
read the whole of your bible to understand that the only holy day recognised by the bible is the 7th day, not the 1st day.
Peace out!
All days of the week are holy and sanctified unto the Lord because our God is a Holy God..or are you saying God is Holy only on the sabbath? The sabbath was made for man NOT the other way round..believers can gather any day of the week to fellowship and break bread..infact the early church were encouraged by paul the apostle to do so daily.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
Bidam: All days of the week are holy and sanctified unto the Lord because our God is a Holy God..or are you saying God is Holy only on the sabbath? The sabbath was made for man NOT the other way round..believers can gather any day of the week to fellowship and break bread..infact the early church were encouraged by paul the apostle to do so daily.
stop assuming things and actually study your bible.
Exodus 20:8-11(NKJV)
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
How clear can it be?

By the way, how does worshipping God in spirit and truth contradict any of my points? Pls show me...
How many times have I said that merely keeping the commandments is not going to get you anywhere but that it doesn't mean you should disregard any part? Do you guys actually read anything I post?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 4:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto: stop assuming things and actually study your bible.
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
How clear can it be?

By the way, how does worshipping God in spirit and truth contradict any of my points? Pls show me...
How many times have I said that merely keeping the commandments is not going to get you anywhere but that it doesn't mean you should disregard any part? Do you guys actually read anything I post?

For someone who doesn't really believe in the creation story I find your advocating for the hallowed-ness of the seventh day quite amusing. You want to dictate to us how to worship a God you don't believe in? What really is your agenda?

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
Lord_Reed:

For someone who doesn't really believe in the creation story I find your advocating for the hallowed-ness of the seventh day quite amusing. You want to dictate to us how to worship a God you don't believe in? What really is your agenda?
lol. Are you bereft of good points and now you want to make an ad hominem?

I'm not dictating to you, I'm only showing from your own bible which you totally believe in that the 7th day which is the Sabbath was instituted by your God and that it has not been annuled or declared irrelevant by either him nor Jesus. I did not manufacture my quotations out of thin air. I asked you to present your scriptures and let's analyse them together and the few you presented were soundly exposed to be lacking in substance that butresses your point while you on the other hand chose to ignore the verses I presented to you. Lmao cheesy

My agenda, if I have one, is to expose the cherry picking of scriptures by you folks who claim to be Christians. You only obey what suits your lifestyle and call other parts a 'burden'. That's hypocrisy! If you wanna obey the scriptures, do so in totality. Its obvious you have no more good arguments to present.

Ciao!
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by LordReed(m): 5:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto: lol. Are you bereft of good points and now you want to make an ad hominem?

I'm not dictating to you, I'm only showing from your own bible which you totally believe in that the 7th day which is the Sabbath was instituted by your God and that it has not been annuled or declared irrelevant by either him nor Jesus. I did not manufacture my quotations out of thin air. I asked you to present your scriptures and let's analyse them together and the few you presented were soundly exposed to be lacking in substance that butresses your point while you on the other hand chose to ignore the verses I presented to you. Lmao cheesy

My agenda, if I have one, is to expose the cherry picking of scriptures by you folks who claim to be Christians. You only obey what suits your lifestyle and call other parts a 'burden'. That's hypocrisy! If you wanna obey the scriptures, do so in totality. Its obvious you have no more good arguments to present.

Ciao!

Thank you for the "education". The fact the apostles already said the gentiles are not to be held to the law because of the new testament means nothing and is cherry picking.

Thanks very much indeed.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto:

Peace out!
wrong analogy..i have not seen anyone declares Sunday as holy..all days of the week are holy.."Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy" (Leviticus 19:2). Unless God is holy only on the Sabbath, his people are required to be holy all seven days of the week.ANY Christian gathering can set aside any day of the week to come together in fellowship..truth be told the teachings of Jesus, the Council of Jerusalem, and other New Testament teachings (John 1:16-17, Acts 13:39, Romans 2:25-29, 8:1-4, 1 Corinthians 9:19-21, Galatians 2:15-16, Ephesians 2:15) make it clear that Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto: stop assuming things and actually study your bible.
actually everything i said are scriptural based except you want me to start quoting scriptures behind all my statements.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto:
How clear can it be?
The bible actually does not contradict itself let scriptures interpret scriptures..ever wondered why God instituted Sabbath in the first place? you did not quote heb.4:3-4 which symbolizes the rest God wants for us nor Heb 4:8-11 which symbolizes the eternal sabbath..remember Jesus and His disciples did not observe the strict Jewish rules against doing any work on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:1-14, Mark 2:23-28, 3:1-6, Luke 6:1-11, 13:10-17, 14:1-6, John 5:1-18).Jesus said my father works hitherto and i work. why should Jesus defies the Sabbath even though he was under the law? JESUS KNEW THAT TRUTH BOUND BY TRADITION HINDERS THE CONTINUED UNDERSTANDING OF THE WORD. EVENTUALLY IT WILL PUT PEOPLE IN A POSITION WHERE TRADITION ITSELF WILL COMPETE WITH THE GROWTH AND EXPANDING COMPREHENSION OF HIS WORD. IN GOD THERE ARE SOME TRUTHS THAT MOVE AS HIS PLAN FOR MANKIND UNFOLDS. THE TRUTH REMAINS THE SAME, BUT HOW IT IS APPLIED IN THE LIGHT OF GREATER UNDERSTANDING MAY CHANGE. IF OUR APPLICATION FAILS TO CHANGE AS OUR UNDERSTANDING GROWS, WE WILL TURN GOD'S TRUTH INTO TRADITIONS OF MEN JUST LIKE THE PHARISEE DID IN JESUS ERA AND SOME CHRISTIAN FOLKS LIKE YOU IS DOING NOW.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Joagbaje(m): 10:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
brokoto: huh? Which early church? Any scripture to back up your point? Educate me please.

Sunday worship started with early church. They called it "THE LORDS DAY" or "FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK"

Revelation 1:10
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day . .

Acts 20:7
And upon the first day of the week when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week
let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

. .

Do you want more scriptures ?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 24, 2013
Bidam: wrong analogy..i have not seen anyone declares Sunday as holy
you have got to be kidding me! You have not seen anyone declare Sunday a holy day? How can I take you serious when you tell such bare faced lies Chei!
Bidam:
..all days of the week are holy.."Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy" (Leviticus 19:2). Unless God is holy only on the Sabbath, his people are required to be holy all seven days of the week.
of course your god is holy but he never said all days of the week are holy. Can't you tell the difference? Did I say he was holy only on Sabbath? Do you guys understand anything I say at all? I'm beggining to have serious doubts...
Bidam:
ANY Christian gathering can set aside any day of the week to come together in fellowship..truth be told the teachings of Jesus, the Council of Jerusalem, and other New Testament teachings (John 1:16-17, Acts 13:39, Romans 2:25-29, 8:1-4, 1 Corinthians 9:19-21, Galatians 2:15-16, Ephesians 2:15) make it clear that Christians are not required to follow the Old Testament rules about crimes and punishments, warfare, slavery, diet, circumcision, sacrifice, feast days, Sabbath observance, ritual cleanness, etc
mehn, Jesus came not to do away with the law but to set things straight. He gave guidelines on how those laws are to be observed eg concerning the eye for eye law he modified it into a case turning the other cheek. On the Sabbath however, he clearly stayed that you can do good on Sabbath day unlike the way the pharisees always insisted on doing absolutely nothing except worship on said day. I repeat, Jesus NEVER said or implied a change or disregard for Sabbath keeping. He himself observed it! Do you guys follow jesus' footsteps at all?
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 24, 2013
Joagbaje:

Sunday worship started with early church. They called it "THE LORDS DAY" or "FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK"

Revelation 1:10
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day . .

Acts 20:7
And upon the first day of the week when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week
let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

. .

Do you want more scriptures ?
if you are a tailor you'll be a terrible one cheesy this is a horrible case of cut and join.

What in that revelation verse implied that he meant the Lords day to be the 1st day? You just carried that quotation and put on top these others and claimed that the disciples called the 1st day the lords day. Lol.

And considering the acts quotation, isn't it obvious that it was because Paul was departing the next day that they had to meet on said day in other to hear him one last time before he left? It even states that they listened until midnight, obviously wanting to be with him as long as possible. Damn! You guys do a terrible job of justifying falsehood.

About the corinthians quotation, I've addressed it in lord reeds post. Refer to it.

When you study your bible, do that with an open mind. Don't try to interpret it based on your already formed preconceptions. These verses are clear enough without your pathetic attempt at manipulation.

And you even asked if I want more scriptures, lmao! When you don't fully understand the one you just quoted out of context.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Mar 24, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Thank you for the "education". The fact the apostles already said the gentiles are not to be held to the law because of the new testament means nothing and is cherry picking.

Thanks very much indeed.
you're welcome. Refer to my signature. Thanks to you too.
Re: Which Is The True Sabbath Day: Saturday Or Sunday? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Mar 24, 2013
brokoto: you have got to be kidding me! You have not seen anyone declare Sunday a holy day? How can I take you serious when you tell such bare faced lies Chei!
you re entitled to your opinions..it's your word against mine.
of course your god is holy but he never said all days of the week are holy. Can't you tell the difference? Did I say he was holy only on Sabbath? Do you guys understand anything I say at all? I'm beggining to have serious doubts...
mehn, Jesus came not to do away with the law but to set things straight. He gave guidelines on how those laws are to be observed eg concerning the eye for eye law he modified it into a case turning the other cheek. On the Sabbath however, he clearly stayed that you can do good on Sabbath day unlike the way the pharisees always insisted on doing absolutely nothing except worship on said day. I repeat, Jesus NEVER said or implied a change or disregard for Sabbath keeping. He himself observed it! Do you guys follow jesus' footsteps at all?
and nobody is disputing the fact that Jesus did not abolish the law..it is the tradition of men vs interpretation of the law that we are talking about.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Do Hear Heart Rendering Cry Of A Baby In My Dreams - What Could That Mean / Gambling Is Not A Sin / Why Do They Regard Catholics As Idol Worshippers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.