Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Holt Radiator Coolant - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Holt Radiator Coolant (3847 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Water Or Coolant For Radiator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 2:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
hello guys,i need help .i bought a container of coolant by holt(blue colored pack) but no indication on the container if the coolant had been premixed with water or if i need to mix it with water. i would like to know if anyone on this forum has used this particular coolant and if i can use it without mixing it with water. tnks
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by nissparts(m): 3:16pm On Mar 19, 2013
All pre-mixed coolant will have it specifically labeled on the container
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 4:52pm On Mar 19, 2013
'i have looked carefully over the wrapping on the container nd there is no indication,only instruction saying "pour coolant directly in radiator"
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by sooperrescue(m): 8:50pm On Mar 19, 2013
What brand of car are you using this coolant?
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2013
honda accord 98(baby boy)
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by tsekeok(m): 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
The instruction 'Pour coolant on the radiator' means it has been mixed and so fill your radiator with the coolant only.
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by redcliff: 12:42pm On Apr 04, 2013
tsekeok: The instruction 'Pour coolant on the radiator' means it has been mixed and so fill your radiator with the coolant only.

Yea right on bro.
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
It should be labelled "concentrate" if it needs to be mixed.

From what has been posted by the OP, the 125/150ml Holts coolant is ready-mixed. Which won't really be much good, as the cooling system will at least 4,5 litres, so we're talking 18 bottles. Expensive way to to it. I would recommend concentrate that can be mixed.
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by aieromon(m): 10:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
Siena: It should be labelled "concentrate" if it needs to be mixed.

From what has been posted by the OP, the 125/150ml Holts coolant is ready-mixed. Which won't really be much good, as the cooling system will at least 4,5 litres, so we're talking 18 bottles. Expensive way to to it. I would recommend concentrate that can be mixed.

I doubt if we have this concentrate mix available for local use. Besides, there's always the 4 litre keg of water on standby. grin

1 Like

Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 2:29pm On Apr 09, 2013
thnks guys, @ siena- i simply needed to fill the reservior tank which was empty that was y i asked if the colant was premixed or not. so fortunately for me, i dont need to buy 18 bottles of coolant grin
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 09, 2013
myk2mic: thnks guys, @ siena- i simply needed to fill the reservior tank which was empty that was y i asked if the colant was premixed or not. so fortunately for me, i dont need to buy 18 bottles of coolant grin

What car are we talking about here? And is there coolant in the radiator itself? Where has the coolant in the expansion tank gone? Because if it's empty, you've got a leak somewhere, which you need to sort out first.

Or the engine's running too hot, causing the coolant to boil, and escape.
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 3:59pm On Apr 09, 2013
good question siena, i wondered my self, well there was still coolant in the radiator(almost to the recommended level), it down below the recommended level by inches and when i checked the reservoir tank i noticed that it was empty,(the coolant level in the reservoir tank had been below the min point for many months)i also had driven the car for about a month in this manner because i wasnt sure abt the coolant i wanted to use., are u implying that the coolant in the reservoir shld never be used up?
Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
The cooling system is a sealed one. I change my coolant once a year, and when I come to drain it, it's still at the maximum level. Like brake fluid, it shouldn't get used up.

Again, you don't mention what car you have. There are three types of cooling system circuits:

01) Radiator only.
02) Radiator and expansion tank.
03) Radiator and combined reservoir / expansion tank.

Radiator only: This is a system mostly used on older cars. The coolant circulated through the radiator, with an upper and lower hose, and a tiny one just above the radiator cap sealing valve. If the coolant got too hot, the cap valve would open, and coolant would vent through the tiny hose above it, onto the ground. The cooling system is filled via the radiator cap. Common on older models built pre-1982.

Radiator and Expansion Tank: Same as Radiator only, the difference being the vent hose is piped to a plastic reservoir. If the coolant boils, the overflow tube deposits the vented coolant into the expansion tank. Once the coolant temperature drops, the contents of the reservoir are drawn back into the cooling circuit. The cooling system is still filled via the radiator. Common on Asian models.

Radiator and Combined Reservoir / Expansion Tank: Same as Radiator and Expansion Tank, the difference being in addition to the thin overflow hose, the tank has a medium-sized hose underneath, that leads to the upper hose. The cooling system is filled via the combined tank. The thin hose at the top provides a constant return, not overflow. Common on European models.

1 Like

Re: Holt Radiator Coolant by myk2mic: 8:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
thnks.its a honda accord 98(american model).with the options u listed am confused, its either the second or the third, though i think the third option is it.will check to see if there is an extra hose.on the manual, u r advised to top coolant in the radiator via the expansion tank not directly into the radiator.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Matrix(manual): Car Vibrates Heavily On Biting/catching Point. / Which Is Better: Honda 96 Model Vs Mazda 626 99 Model. / Car Pimping

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.